Let's talk about mechs in video games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

So I just recently picked up a copy of Armored Core: For Answer, and damn - it made me remember why I love mechs so much. The sheer thrill of piloting a badass piece of skyscraping machinery is an unmatched feeling. The way they boost, strafe, and unleash a hellfire of missiles is absolutely mind-boggling.

I mean, look at this badassery:

White Glint from Armored Core: For Answer

Here's a video of someone fighting White Glint.

=

=

Another mech moment many of you might be familiar with is a particular sequence in Metal Gear Solid 4. Yeah - THAT one!

Almost like mechanical brothers.

Final boss battle in Shadow Moses for MGS4 (spoilers).

=

=

Other notable mech games include Zone of the Enders 2: The Second Runner. Kojima obviously has a love for mechs as well, since the subgenre he experimented with in MGS became a full-fledged mech game in the form of ZOE.

Jehuty from Zone of the Enders being cool and stuff.

Crazy mech action from Zone of the Enders 2 (spoilers)

-

-

So what are your thoughts on the mech sub-genre? What are your favorite aspects of it? Do you think there needs to be more games under this category?

Personally, I don't think mechs get enough love. Mechs produce such niche-geared games that developers don't see much worth in market-wise. There are only a few developers such as From Software and Kojima Productions taking the plunge, whom I love for bringing life to these mechanical beasts (lol, paradox).

Avatar image for vengefulwilberg
vengefulwilberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 vengefulwilberg
Member since 2010 • 1642 Posts

Man. Why did you have to go there? I was just going to get some shut eye too, but I have to answer this question first. Mechs are down right awesome. After watching shows like Gundum Wing and G Gundum I started paying attention to video games with mechs in them. Zone of the enders 2 was an epic game. Metal Gear Solid never fails to amaze me with battles involving mechs. What makes Mechs cool is the creator of the Mechs. There are no rules to followwhenartists and developersdesign mechs. It is all about the creativity and originality of those who create them. The power, the design, and the abilities are all connected to the creator. Mechs usually go beyond the limits of reality and that what makes them a hidden gem. A good mech is only as good as the creator. And there are alot of mechs thatare created solely on imagination. The creators thinkoutside of the box.

Heck, that is whythe transformer movies were so incredible. I know MorganFox is a babe, but without thosecrazy transformerdesignsthere wouldn't be a good transformers movie.

One of my favorite mechs is the epyon gundum.

Youtube Video Epyon

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

you'd think with how awesome mechs are we'd get morekickass mech game

but sadlywedont

i wish theyd make mechassult 3

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hazelnutman

Man. Why did you have to go there? I was just going to get some shut eye too, but I have to answer this question first. Mechs are down right awesome. After watching shows like Gundum Wing and G Gundum I started paying attention to video games with mechs in them. Zone of the enders 2 was an epic game. Metal Gear Solid never fails to amaze me with battles involving mechs. What makes Mechs cool is the creator of the Mechs. There are no rules when you design mechs. It is all about the creativity and originality of the artist as well as the game developer. The power, the design, and the abilities are all connected to the creator. Mechs usually go beyond the limits of reality and that what makes them a hidden gem. A good mech is only as good as the creator. And there are alot of mechs that motivate you to watch a show or movie and play a game. One of my favorite mechs is the epyon gundum.

Youtube Video Epyon

vengefulwilberg
Holy crap, if we're talking anime, then I wouldn't be able to stop talking. EVA UNIT 01 from Evangelion, Gurren Lagann from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Lancelot Albion from Code Geass, Exia from Gundam 00, Nirvash typeTheEND from Eureka 7, etc, etc. But yeah, there are no rules with mechs - that's what makes them so much fun. It's like stepping into a body and controlling it beyond the limits of your own powers.
vengefulwilberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vengefulwilberg

you'd think with how awesome mechs are we'd get morekickass mech game

but sadlywedont

i wish theyd make mechassult 3

spawnassasin

I second that. The mechassault series is interesting. Honestly, I never played any of them. How good is the mechassault games?

I enjoyed zone of the enders 2. I also played zone of the enders 1, which was also good. Some of the mech games I played just didn't live up to my expecatations. Especially the gundum games. What the heck happened. Those gundum games wasn't even 10 percent as cool as the animes. I sure hope zone of the enders 3 comes out soon.

vengefulwilberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vengefulwilberg

I will catch you guys later. I going to get some rest.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hazelnutman

I will catch you guys later. I going to get some rest.

vengefulwilberg
See you, buddy. It was really nice talking to you. It's not everyday you get a BlazBlue-Mech fan around these parts :)
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
They are cool but I suck at them. I remember people complaining how there was no new mech assault game though. That and I remember last gen that steel battalion game where you had the foot pedals and everything.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hazelnutman
They are cool but I suck at them. I remember people complaining how there was no new mech assault game though. That and I remember last gen that steel battalion game where you had the foot pedals and everything.GrandJury
omg, I want to play Steel Battalion so freaking badly. It looks so complicatedly badass. It's a shame that it was so damn expensive to play it with the whole mech-peripheral thing, and it doesn't help that the game is rare now, which means prices might be even higher.
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
I haven't played a game with Mechs in, but i LOVED Code Geass :D ,so i might have to check this game out.
Shoooryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Shoooryuken
Member since 2009 • 969 Posts
Unlimited Tager is the ultimate Mech. His 720 Throw will catch you instantly.. he's got an invincible forward dash and all of his move got more ownage. IT'S THE POWER OF SCIENCE!
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hazelnutman
[QUOTE="Shoooryuken"]Unlimited Tager is the ultimate Mech. His 720 Throw will catch you instantly.. he's got an invincible forward dash and all of his move got more ownage. IT'S THE POWER OF SCIENCE!

Oh Lord, I'm already scared of Tager enough as it is when playing as Noel. Unlimited Tager is a nightmarish thought.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

It wasn't until ZOE until I became a mech fan but I just can't get into other mech games like Armored core and Gundam, Im gonna stick to my ZOE series. The mechs just look so uber awesome and the gameplay is insanely epic, especially in 2nd runner. This gen hands down the best mech battle goes to Rex vs Ray, not only was it beyond win it made my dream come true to pilot Metal Gear Rex. There may not be many mech games but the few that are out are simply awesome, I would hate for the sub-genre to go rampant like FPS, I believe too much of a good thing is bad so yeah, lol. Saying that Iam waiting with open eyes till the day Kojima confirms ZOE3.

BTW favourite mech is Jehuty of course.

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

Ah Vic Viper from classic Gradius along with its Option, Shield and Ripple. I wish I can trade Jehuty for Vic Viper when Leo said to return Jehuty. As for Armored Core, endless hours spent customising to make nice to look and powerful AC/NEXT but turned into scrap metal in next mission. I still can't forget that damn cheap Genobee AC.

The only mecha games to look for this year are that cross over with Macross(forget its title) and Front Mission Evolved but I've low expectation cause they handed it over to Double Helix and I'm still bitter with no localization for Front Mission 5.

galerian86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 galerian86
Member since 2004 • 1066 Posts

If you want to talk mechs, I got to mention Super Robot Taisen series. Awesome games, and have a lot of superb mechs! If only it is not confined in Japan only :(

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#16 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I'm not really into mechs, they are boring, especially when combating other mechs. I like the mech in FEAR 2 though, as you can cause lots of gory mess when killing human enemies. :twisted:

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

Patlabor is my fav anime iwth mechs in it. more of a mystery-drama then a action shooter

Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts

Well you'll have to drag me kicking and screaming to talk about mechs, IDK theres something about them that just turns me right off!

Had ya there didnt I? :P

Honestly, if I could have one wish for the game industry it would be to have some serious quality mech games made here or in Japan or really anywhere for that matter and sold here! Ive played a few Gundam games which have been average at best but still, its a mech game, a Gundam game at that and beggars cant be choosers I suppose but you never know, starting threads like this just might be the shot in the arm devsneed to get us some great mech games.

My ideal set up for a mech game is generally what Gundam games and what I believe Armored Core games are like as well and thats a quasi-RTS/cockpit shooter. I salivate at the thought of getting behind Lancelot Albion, ordering a squad of Britannian troops in Kightmares in combat or to attack a base. Think of all the amazing strategy you could plan in your own chess match so to speak, of high powered mechs like Lancelot. Thats just one idea and could apply to an original set up of mechs.

Three of my favorites that really need to get the chance to shine in a game are:

Wing Gundam Zero

gdw029.jpg picture by Roman_Irishman

Lancelot Albion

LancelotAlbion.jpg picture by Roman_Irishman

and....I always like to save the best of last, EVA02 ofcourse!

EVA02-1.jpg picture by Roman_Irishman

I could really go for any type of mech action but getting the chance to use these babies in an actually good game, would be simply amazing.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I refuse to play any games with mech's in them until I play yours Hazel.
1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

Until ZoE, i hated mech games. Mech games are so fun, and i expected yours to be the same. :)

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

btw if u guys enjoyed Battlestar Gallactica, the Mecha series that came out years ago called Macross has its storyline mirrroed by BSG except with the mechs in BSG. its one of the great anime's u must own if u like mechs.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
I don't know if any of you guys read the Hideo Kojima tweats in the article on the homepage, but he was mentioning his next project. Guess what.... Its gonna have MECHs in it! Woohoo! He also said its going to involve some 'taboo' subject matter. Taboo and Mechs in ONE game??? A Kojima game!!?? Is this a dream!? :P
liffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 liffi
Member since 2004 • 254 Posts

Ya the japanesse mechs are cool and all but I think they are some what too flamboyant to me. I like good old mechwarrior games and mechcommander from pc. They are some what cooler and some what realistic. Sure they come from mechs from anime but they are much mor westers style and when it comes to mechs they are way cooler. So Mechwarrior for ever!

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
i dont know that i've ever played a mech game, actually. maybe sky driver will be my first :P
Scrotous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Scrotous
Member since 2009 • 375 Posts

Hmm dunno if you guys noticed this yet but...http://www.gamespot.com/news/6258116.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;3XD. Oh he did say the word "mech".

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

If anyone was wondering, the new mech game on the horizon from NamBan and From Software is Another Century's Episode: R. Looks like a Playstation exclusive so far.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I've only played demos of mech games and they're usually fun for that short time but I guess no mech centered game was ever worth buying from my viewpoint. I remember the demo for Omega Boost,... that was fun, played that demo forever. Piloting the mech in Killzone 2 was also satisfying for a little bit.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I used to enjoy Armored Core quite alot until they essentially froze in place enhancement wise. The games haven't progressed a bit since the third...
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

I miss the old mech warrior/battletech series. i still play mechwarrior 4 and mercs on my PC. i always preferd the slower moveing mech type games were it actualy feels/act like a 100 ton mech rather than the ones like gundum ect were the mech move like ninja's on crack :p but eather way i wish mech games would come back in style again that and space fighter shooters like wing commander,colony wars or freespace2.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
Mech games are excellent if done well. There are only two I like. Mech Warrior Series and ZOE series... The rest of the mech games I've played didn't interest me as much as these two.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hazelnutman

If anyone was wondering, the new mech game on the horizon from NamBan and From Software is Another Century's Episode: R. Looks like a Playstation exclusive so far.

Scianix-Black

Why the HELL haven't I heard of this before? Freaking Gundam Gundams and Code Geass Nightmares EVERYWHERE!

This is like a dream game to me, and while I would have cried out screams of agony for its impending crappiness, it's being developed partially by From Software, so I know it has to have some amount of quality.

EDIT: Oh my God, I just realized that Namco Bandai = Ace Combat. My hopes are so high right now - perfectly in position to be crushed into a million pieces.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
The mech fight in MGS4 was amazing but that's my only experience in this topic. :) I'm gonna play FEAR 2 and Lost Planet 2 soon and I hear those are full of mechs. Jak 2 had a mech and that was alright. I thought it died a bit too easily though and the second time you use it is a damn underwater level. :(
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
The Mechs move so damn fast in AC4A though.
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
It would be nice if Sega made a Chrome Hounds 2. It was like an online shooter, think battlefield but with Mechs.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

I enjoyed playing with m echs in some Armored Core games, but instead of improving they went downwards... like a wasted potential. i haven't tried 'For Answer though'... i also loved playing Front Mission 3 & 4... Mech games have a very big potential, and will be awesome if done well...

I want a great Macross/Robotech or Gundam Wing game...