• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jokke_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jokke_90
Member since 2005 • 116 Posts

Im buying a HDTV and was just wondering what is best for PS3 LCD or Plasma

I also heard that some games gets worse if you have it in full HD because then i dont need to buy a full HD just 720i

MONTANNA632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MONTANNA632
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

lcd.plasma leave afther burn,where life bars stay on afther you turn off the game.

dont know about hd question,but full hd should be fine.

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts
Plasma is as dead as CRT technology. LCD is it. No burn in risk at all. If prices keep coming down like they are I may spring for a Sony Brav.
truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

Burn ins!!! Buy LCD

aka_aj03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aka_aj03
Member since 2004 • 5911 Posts
you need to buy a LCD at least up to 720p, if you can get a HDTV with 1080p
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
LCD. Plasma is dying IMO
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

LCD is the best for all around games, TV, and movies. And if possible just go for the highest resolution that you get because if a game doesn't support the full resolution the PS3 and in many cases the TV will select the best resolution for what your watching/using.

Plasma is a big risk because of burn in issues (I don't think Sony is even makeing Plasma's anymore because of this).

DontTazeMeBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DontTazeMeBro1
Member since 2007 • 582 Posts

Wow. Im really surprized no one has done the research and found out that new high end plasmas dont (DONT) have burn in issues. They now use a pixle wobble feature to prevent this.

I have had (and still have) a great 50 inch Sony LCD in my living room but upgraded to a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma for "The Man Cave". The plasma is hands down the best TV in the house. Keep in mind, top quality plasmas cost about twice what a LCD is. However the picture (blacks and contrast) are amazing. Again, New Plasmas (high end ones) DONT HAVE BURN IN.

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts
LCD
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
plasma for a big cheap tv. lcd is better for smaller tv
dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

LCD, and get one with full HD 1080p if you can

it will make your blu-rays even better and the games will always run on what they are optimized for whether that be 720p or 1080p

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

Wow. Im really surprized no one has done the research and found out that new high end plasmas dont (DONT) have burn in issues. They now use a pixle wobble feature to prevent this.

I have had (and still have) a great 50 inch Sony LCD in my living room but upgraded to a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma for "The Man Cave". The plasma is hands down the best TV in the house. Keep in mind, top quality plasmas cost about twice what a LCD is. However the picture (blacks and contrast) are amazing. Again, New Plasmas (high end ones) DONT HAVE BURN IN.

DontTazeMeBro1

you cant say DONT, better to say burn in is now MINIMIZED and not as easy to get now like with older Plasmas

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Plasma is dead.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

If you can afford it, new Plasma TV's are superb.

However, the price on one of those babies will make you cry, LCD is a solid investment for years to come not to mention the prices are much more affordable.

DontTazeMeBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DontTazeMeBro1
Say it however you want but the other day I played Uncharted for 7 hours without turning off my tv. The weapon hud doesnt move at all in the game. I had no burn in at all. So I'm gona stick with what I said and how I said it. If you dont own a high end plasma how are you going to judge? Just a thought.
jonesy1304

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 jonesy1304
Member since 2006 • 569 Posts
lcd all the way you dont want to see the after burn
vayaconmiamigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vayaconmiamigo
Member since 2003 • 499 Posts

if you want the cheapness of a LCD tv but the contrast ratio of a Plasma Tv and don't care how thin it is, I suggest you go DLP. They are dirt cheap compared to the other 2. They have a huge contrast ratio, and usually good amount of inputs. The only real downside is the size. They are nowhere near as thin as LCD or Plasma. If you worry that there might be a rainbow affect, don't because that problem has been minimalized with the newer DLP sets. DLP all the way.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
Say it however you want but the other day I played Uncharted for 7 hours without turning off my tv. The weapon hud doesnt move at all in the game. I had no burn in at all. So I'm gona stick with what I said and how I said it. If you dont own a high end plasma how are you going to judge? Just a thought.DontTazeMeBro1
high end Plasmas are one thing.LCD are more affordable.
qbamike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 qbamike
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts
SAMSUNG LCD 1080P U CANT GO WRONGWITH THAT!!;)
DontTazeMeBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DontTazeMeBro1

[QUOTE="DontTazeMeBro1"]Say it however you want but the other day I played Uncharted for 7 hours without turning off my tv. The weapon hud doesnt move at all in the game. I had no burn in at all. So I'm gona stick with what I said and how I said it. If you dont own a high end plasma how are you going to judge? Just a thought.rogerjak
high end Plasmas are one thing.LCD are more affordable.

Im with you 100% on that. Like I stated in my origional post High End Plasmas are about twice as much as a LCD. Not a problem when you have an awesome job.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts
Plasma is a superior set all around.I would recommendd looking at the new Panasonic plasmas as stated above. I use the 1080p model and my buddy loved itand bought the 720p one. I have to say for the price and performance, the 720p plasma is amazing and great for games. We have played countless hours on both our sets and no burn in whatsoever. The 42" 720p model he bought was a great deal at $999. You can not beat the picture quality of a plasma, and the newer sets have come a long long way. I say plasma all the way. This new kick in LCD is understandable, the price is lower typically, but find a good deal on a plasma and you cant lose. Watch Planet Earth on Blu Ray/HD DVD on a plasma and you will see why plasmas are preferred. Hight contrast FTW(not the inflated numbers usually associated with LCD).
GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts
I say LCD.
DontTazeMeBro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DontTazeMeBro1
Right on and well said cheese man. I think the picture on my Panasonic plasma is amazing next to my Sony LCD. Glad I did the proper research and have a well paying job.
Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts

Pioneer Elite KURO

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cheesie253
I agree, do the research and you will see for yourself. I have nothing against the LCD's as I have owned a few. From here on I will not buy another TV if it is not branded Panasonic. Just like my only cars from here on out will mainlybe Mazda. Some brands speak for themselves and I say if you can afford it, get that Panasonic plasma.
hscream13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hscream13
Member since 2004 • 1134 Posts
I heard that plasmas have a longer life span than lcd's
god_of_shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 god_of_shawn
Member since 2005 • 559 Posts
HDTV. Plasma tvs waste more electricty too....and there's burn in issues too. Or if you wanna wait, you can wait for Sony's OLED. :)
boofa_2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 boofa_2001
Member since 2005 • 358 Posts
Right on and well said cheese man. I think the picture on my Panasonic plasma is amazing next to my Sony LCD. Glad I did the proper research and have a well paying job.DontTazeMeBro1
okay, we get it, you have a nice paycheck. Last I checked, NOBODY CARES! I say LCD. If you ever move, you have to be very careful with a plasma, otherwise you can end up with a huge paper weight. My wife works for a trucking company who returns pallets upon pallets of (NEW) dead plasmas because they were shipped face down and not kept upright. Too many possible problems out weigh the slight increase in color/picture quality if you ask me.
noir325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 noir325
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts

PLASMA but LCD is cheaper

PSN ID- ZGFM-X56S or NOIR325

DaddyLongCaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaddyLongCaddy
Member since 2007 • 844 Posts
I would say get a plasma. Way better picture quality. You will only get burn in if you leave the same thing on screen for hours on end.
jokke_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jokke_90
Member since 2005 • 116 Posts

damn my topic is hot

but since iv read this i think im going for LCD possible this (its in swedish but you can see the name of it so check it on other site) dont want bigger than 28 inch (got a small room) and its cheap divide the price by 6,3 and you get it in us dollars.

it would be great if someone linked some other options have to be somewhat cheap and not over 28 inch

if i was rich i would get this (drowl)

tsylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tsylord
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts
Plasma is as dead as CRT technology. LCD is it. No burn in risk at all. If prices keep coming down like they are I may spring for a Sony Brav.Zoomer30
He's right LCD's don't get burn ins
DX_HBK_HHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DX_HBK_HHH
Member since 2006 • 1452 Posts

DontTazeMeBro1

LOL "the man cave"

d14m23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 d14m23
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts

This is the wrong place to ask this question. Everything these people say are based on opinion or old technology. Both are pretty much equal. LCD's you have dead and stuck pixels (very annoying), some ghosting (newer models have gotten better), and is usually more expensive. Plasma's have danger of burn in (but this has been fixed in newer models), better contrast, and faster reaction times. Just go to the store and pick the one you like. You can't go wrong. Just don't pick a crappy brand name.

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts

Here is the site that your question belongs in

Its all dependant on size, for 50" and above, Plasma is cheaper, even at 42" and above...

A quality Plasma Television will last just as long as a quality LCD. But the big factor in all of this is what TV impresses you the most. The opinions on this site are from a number of users who more than likely do not own and have yet to purchase and HDTV of an considerable size. No, 32" is not a big TV. If you are planning to purchase a TV larger than 40" do your research, all TVs have their own issues. Know what your looking for in a TV before you look. And dont buy a TV just because a sales guy thinks it looks better.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
Get LCD-They're meant to be more energy efficient than power sucking plasmas.I got Sony Bravia lcd and its just Great with my PS3
Diablodimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Diablodimes
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

Seems to me that there is a llot of uneducated guesstimates going on here. I game & will only game on a 42' plasma, & it is not a high-ender. Believe me, do yourself a favor & go see for yourself. The world of color & contrast on a plasma will blow your hair back. In terms of burn-in yu set the pixel shift up high, take the thing off torch mode for the break-in period, (i suggest the first 300 hours of use), & just enjoy. The only time I saw some ghosting, not burn-in by the way, was when playing NGS. (GOD D*** HUD is oultined in white), but this washed out after watching some regular channels for a while. I don't have anything against LCD's, just I think they are a little washed out in terms of color & too often an issue with blurring & pixelization in fast moving scenes.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
LCD.
bubblepaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 bubblepaul
Member since 2005 • 503 Posts
LCD's all the way, for the same reasons that other people have stated, im not going to recycle the same info
chiknmhf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chiknmhf2
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts

dont flame me for this, but i actually own a samsung30 inch crt, it rocks. it makes movies look superb and is a great value. CRT may be an old technology but it just means it is tried and true. but if you are going to go lcd, go sumsung or if you have the money get a sony. those two are the best of the best right now.

but on the larger scale its really plasma vs. dlp. dlps may be less expensive, and a good quality plasma is going to run you a small fortune. i personally am not a big fan of the larger screen models myself, it seems like any thing over 42' is like buying a new car. its best just to wait till the time is right. but if you do, DO YOUR RESEARCH. i bought an isingnia 32' hd crt that was just crap. i had to trade it in for the samsung a year later because of some factory defects. so do your research, and make sure the one you buy is the right one for you.

and btw, i may be in the market for a 42' sont lcd, my and the fiance have been talking about it for awhile. seen what the ps3 can do on a 1080p and it looks really flipping awesome. be sure to get a 1080p set if you own a ps3.

jdang307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jdang307
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

Plasmas Dying? Someone tell real world consumers (and not internet economists) that.

For the second quarter in a row, the plasma TV category continued to outpace all other technologies in the 50-inch and above screen sizes, Quixel said, "but in the third quarter 2007, even 42-inch sales showed increases in volume and value."

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6500677.html

Regarding burn-in, yes it is an issue, which is less than before, but if you're smart about it, it's not that big of a deal. Turn down contrast and brightness, be careful for the first 100-300 hours, and you'll be golden. I was also apprehensive about plasma tech and strictly stuck to LCD's, but after getting a 1080 Hitachi 50" plasma for less than a grand (not the best plasma but I already have a front projection system for the hardcore viewing) I couldn't resist and found with a little research and planning, burn in is not a problem.

tina661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 tina661
Member since 2005 • 1160 Posts
LCD
Stark1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Stark1177
Member since 2003 • 200 Posts
Screw them both, and get a DLP
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
I have a 40" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD (paid around $2,000) and my parents have a 42" Panasonic Plasma (they paid around $1,000). IMHO, the price difference between the two was not worth the picture quality. As with any TV, the more you spend (usually the better the picture is). If you do your research you'll find that in comparing similar prices/models, that plasmas often have the better picture. You can often find a good cheap HDTV with minimal features but with a great picture.For example, my TV has a 24fps/1080p feature that is only supported by Blu-Ray (and possibly HD-DVD, I'm not certain). Do plasmas have a greater chance of burn in when compared to LCD's? Yes, BUT with new plasma technology (as in the previously mentioned "screen wobble") you run very little risk of experiecing this. Hope this helps.
starfxxxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 starfxxxer
Member since 2004 • 3295 Posts
DLP > LCD > Plasma
Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
LCD is better for gaming, Plasma is better for watching tv. LCD's response rates have gotten so much better over the past year, mine is 4ms and it looks amazing when I play games. Burn in is an issue with plasma, but not as bad as it used to be. The new plasmas are not as prone to burn-in anymore cuz the technology has improved. Plus, think of your tv's life - how long do you plan on keeping it before you replace it? Burn-in stats are attributed to 7-10 years of average use, so follow on that stat. Anyways, I do suggest LCD - the only problem with LCD that I have found is that they use a lot of electricity. You can notice on your electric bill, I know I have :)
cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cheesie253
I am really surprised at the uneducatedcomments andspeculationcoming out of this thread. I am in no way saying one is definitely better than the other, because different factors come into play when choosing a tv, but anyone educated on the pros and cons will agree theplasma is the better choice givingthat itis an option that fits into your budget.I will also say again that a quality plasma, even some of the budget sets, will look better than the equivalent lcd set.
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
LCD No doubt - No burn in, Brighter colours, wider viewing angle, good for well light rooms and vice versa. Just get a lcd.
cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 cheesie253
PLASMANo doubt - No burn in, Brighter colors, wider viewing angle, good for well lit rooms and vice versa. Just get a Plasma. Do some research people, dont go by what was said when plasmas were first released. Even then, with their flaws, they were still superior.
bowden911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bowden911
Member since 2007 • 450 Posts
Plasma is dieing. Thats a joke. I recomend a plasma because a lot of the new games these days are dark (anything unreal engine 3) and plasma display black better.