Killzone 2: Enough to challenge Halo 3's throne?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

csstriker4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 csstriker4
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts

I hate to make the never ending comparison between Halo 3 and Killzone 2, but if you had to choose one, what would it be?

After seeing this video, I'm going to have to go with Killzone just based off of singleplayer.

25 Minutes of Killzone

simulation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 simulation
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts
Killzone 2 it will be the Next Gen
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
What I've seen so far, Killzone2 looks much better.
Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

Single player? I think so.

Multiplayer? Hard to compete. We'll have to see.

I think if anything, Call of Duty 4 is enough to rival the throne.

Claw17k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Claw17k
Member since 2006 • 472 Posts

Single player? I think so.

Multiplayer? Hard to compete. We'll have to see.

I think if anything, Call of Duty 4 is enough to rival the throne.

Xire_XII

resistance is better multiplayer than halo and the xbots wont addmit it because ign and gamespot say its not as good as halo. killzone 2's graphics will blow everyone away!

justinblair2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 justinblair2
Member since 2003 • 180 Posts
i am looking so forward to killzone 2, and halo 3. But first things first..when people make these kind of comparison's they are dammning the game. Killzone 2 may end up being the better game, but it will never sell like halo.
Claw17k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Claw17k

Actually no. Not trying to troll, but you cows amaze me sometimes. Halo 2 sold 2 million copies on its first day. You really think killzone 2 will become top? lol, dont think so.

army-of_one

go back to the xbot board this is the ps3 board not the 'xbots troll here board'

what are you even doing here, xbot? you ******* xbot

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#9 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

Actually no. Not trying to troll, but you cows amaze me sometimes. Halo 2 sold 2 million copies on its first day. You really think killzone 2 will become top? lol, dont think so.

army-of_one

Say "cow" and trouble is bound to come. :roll:

Killzone 2 has to have a Hill of a story and multi-player...and then it's got to get a 10/10 since Halo 3 is bound to get a 10/10.

hashimgillani1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#10 hashimgillani1
Member since 2004 • 1495 Posts

Killzone has a bad history behind it with horrible gameplay. And i must say I am afraid that Killzone 2 will have the same bad gameplay but by the looks of things and hte popularity i doubt it. What the article was saying about how it was awesome and handled really well and the physics and all gives u hope.

Now Halo is considered to be the greatest game of all time (arguably) though i dont agree with that it is one of the best and most anticipated. Not to mention its history is good really really good.

In conclusion, so far it can be said that Halo can narrowly surpass Killzone 2 but the competition is going to be intense and we have to wait to find out.

mustaf_nur89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mustaf_nur89
Member since 2003 • 658 Posts
killzone is a very promising game no doubt, but its just too early to call which is better....
Claw17k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Claw17k

Killzone has a bad history behind it with horrible gameplay. And i must say I am afraid that Killzone 2 will have the same bad gameplay but by the looks of things and hte popularity i doubt it. What the article was saying about how it was awesome and handled really well and the physics and all gives u hope.

Now Halo is considered to be the greatest game of all time (arguably) though i dont agree with that it is one of the best and most anticipated. Not to mention its history is good really really good.

In conclusion, so far it can be said that Halo can narrowly surpass Killzone 2 but the competition is going to be intense and we have to wait to find out.

hashimgillani1

MGS4 will own though. and littlebigplanet. and uncharted. and resistance 2

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
The Killzone franchise will NEVER beat Halo. Remember when people firstseen and heardof Killzone 1 for the PS2 people then said it was "the Halo killer," and come to find out it was FARRR from being a Halo killer. Killzone 1 was not that good of a game, so what makes people think that this one will be any better?...And looking at recent flops like>>Heavenly Sword & Lair...I'm not getting too thrilled over anymore hyped-up PS3 titles. So to answer the question, no Killzone 2 will not be "enough to challenge Halo 3's throne!"
HiImUPSMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HiImUPSMan
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts
if Kz2 doesnt have a guy in a green powerranger suit then no.
-COOLIO-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -COOLIO-
Member since 2007 • 340 Posts
ps3 boards?
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

The Killzone franchise will NEVER beat Halo. Remember when people firstseen and heardof Killzone 1 for the PS2 people then said it was "the Halo killer," and come to find out it was FARRR from being a Halo killer. Killzone 1 was not that good of a game, so what makes people think that this one will be any better?...And looking at recent flops like>>Heavenly Sword & Lair...I'm not getting too thrilled over anymore hyped-up PS3 titles. So to answer the question, no Killzone 2 will not be "enough to challenge Halo 3's throne!"gamer082009

How can a game be a flop when it hasn't even come out yet?What makes a game a flop or not is if people buy it. Reviewers have a tendency to be retarded. Especially when some reviewers call a game terrible and others call it perfect. Now if EVERY reviewer gives a game low or high marks, there may be something to it. I'll still at the very least rent it to make up my own mind.

As for the topic here, Halo never appealed to me. Killzone 2 looks very impressive. I think Killzone will be the better game. I doubt it will outsell Halo though. You could take 'Hello Kitty Island Adventure' and replace the Hello Kitty graphics on the cover with Master Chief or whatever his name is and xboxxers would buy it.

MagMower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MagMower
Member since 2005 • 992 Posts
if Kz2 doesnt have a guy in a green powerranger suit then no.HiImUPSMan
Bu... bu... Teh Master Chief!
inspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 inspectre
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

There's a lot of myths going around about the Killzone-Halo relationship. The big myth is that Killzone was intended to "beat" Halo. Nope, Guerilla just wanted to make a good Sci-Fi FPS, but the press decided to make a war out of it. If you take Killzone on it's own it was "better" that Halo 1 in many ways, but they're different games doing different things. Haters tend to perpetuate the myth for unknown reasons.

As for the OP's question the answer is no. Killzone doesn't have an iconic character and mythology that will stick in people's heads like that. I've no reason to doubt that Killzone 2 will be a great experience though. As for Halo it does a couple of things well, and many things mediocre, but the overall expericence somehow comes together well enough that people tend to overlook the bad stuff.

I'm looking forward to both, but I have a feeling that Bungie just isn't up to it this time around. Halo 2 kinda sucked and it unfortunately showed how bad Bungie is in certain discipines. I'm looking forward to it, but compared to games like Half-Life, Bioshock, Call of Duty and Killzone 2--Halo will come up short.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
I can end this one.

Halo 3 will be the better game for Xbox fanboys and Killzone 2 will be better for PS3 fanboys. Real human beings won't care because they will realize how good both games are and will play both and the only reason anyone would strongly defend one or the other is because they only have one console.

But from this early stage, what has KZ2 shown other than a 25 minute tech demo that leads all of these PS3 loyalists to believe it will be better? Is it hope? Is it fear? Who knows, the mind of a fanboy is shrouded in more mystery and depravity than a serial killer.

joevfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 joevfx
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts
as much as i am a huge playstation fanboy, and want kz2 sooooo bad, there is no way ti will sell more then halo 3. Supossably halo 3 already has 4 million pre orders !!
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts
[QUOTE="army-of_one"]

Claw17k

go back to the xbot board this is the ps3 board not the 'xbots troll here board'

what are you even doing here, xbot? you ******* xbot

Who gives a crap!? Just enjoy the games for what they have to offer, no matter what console/platform they are on!

And whether you like Halo3 or KillZone2, it doesn't matter, everyone's taste for games differs.

imaspin17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 imaspin17
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts
Since this is posted in the Playstation forum, dont you think the answers will be slightly biased
XxXxGibboxXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XxXxGibboxXxX
Member since 2007 • 195 Posts

if Kz2 doesnt have a guy in a green powerranger suit then no.HiImUPSMan

if halo 3 doesent have a guy in a grey powwerranger suit then no.

rompetraseros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rompetraseros
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts
not very smart question on a ps3 forum
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Symphonycometh

[QUOTE="HiImUPSMan"]if Kz2 doesnt have a guy in a green powerranger suit then no.XxXxGibboxXxX

if halo 3 doesent have a guy in a grey powwerranger suit then no.

If it doesn't have the fanbase to apply pressure for the high rating, then no.

Beat that logic.:P

Game_Lover500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Game_Lover500
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts
Yeah it does
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts

I hate to make the never ending comparison between Halo 3 and Killzone 2, but if you had to choose one, what would it be?

After seeing this video, I'm going to have to go with Killzone just based off of singleplayer.

25 Minutes of Killzone

csstriker4
Read the bold. 2 different games. 2 different atmospheres. I've never played Halo so I don't know anyway.
Zell_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 Zell_Forever
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts

Why are people saying "Well even if KZ2 is better, Halo3 will sell better, so Halo3 wins! HAHAHAHAHA"

WTF? Are you brain dead?
So you are that much of a rabid fan boy, that just the fact that your game sells better makes you feel good inside?
And what if Halo3 ends up being a terrible game? Oh well, it had 4 million preorders, so that makes it better than KZ2..

I don't understand such moronic "logic" :/

And even if Halo3 "wins" because it sells more, you as the gamer lose...

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Symphonycometh

Why are people saying "Well even if KZ2 is better, Halo3 will sell better, so Halo3 wins! HAHAHAHAHA"

WTF? Are you brain dead?
So you are that much of a rabid fan boy, that just the fact that your game sells better makes you feel good inside?
And what if Halo3 ends up being a terrible game? Oh well, it had 4 million preorders, so that makes it better than KZ2..

Zell_Forever

Quote me next time so I know if you're talking to me. For shame on you.

And please tell me how asking if we're "brain dead" logical to you?

Some people...:roll:

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts

WTF? Are you brain dead?

Zell_Forever
true true...look at ico. epic game that hardly really sold much.
Zell_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Zell_Forever
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts
[QUOTE="Zell_Forever"]

WTF? Are you brain dead?

Symphonycometh

Well now it DOES apply to you.

Honestly I wrote that post when I reached page 2... so if you wrote a comment like that, damn you are a moron.
If not, lay off the freaking eastrogen pills...

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Zell_Forever"]

WTF? Are you brain dead?

CosmoKing7717

true true...look at ico. epic game that hardly really sold much.

Shadow of the Colossus should've been just as Epic as Halo in terms of sales and overall popularity in my opinion...but NOOO. Scores from Gamespot and overall lack of people wanting to try things differently kept this game from really taking of!:(

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="Zell_Forever"]

WTF? Are you brain dead?

Zell_Forever

Honestly I wrote that post when I reached page 2... so if you wrote a comment like that, damn you are a moron.

Prove it or it's not valid. :P

I'll just remain the usual calm non-insulting me.:roll:

Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

Just stop this. Killzone was getting hyped by the media as a Halo killer before and it "failed" miserably (much thanks to the hype).

Now do you guys want to go through that again. Killzone 2 will be great but it wont kill or steal the throne of another game thats on the rival console.

and if some game had a throne (of FPS i guess) it wouldn't be Halo.

Theibault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Theibault
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts
No. Halo 3 is too much of a juggernaut.
justinblair2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 justinblair2
Member since 2003 • 180 Posts

Zell_Forever

Do you see what im saying here ?

Primevil702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Primevil702
Member since 2005 • 911 Posts
Halo 3 will be decent, but we don't have to look to Killzone 2 to see a game of better quality (IMO) - Unreal Tournament 3 will have the best MP without a doubt, at least that's what I think. Better visuals, better gameplay and just better in general - if Halo 2 is anything to go by, I'll dislike the Halo 3 MP just as much.
FireFalkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FireFalkon
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts
Halo 3 will be released this year, why KZ2 would challenge a 4 month old game? Halo has nothing new to show IMO, generic graphics, generic controls, generic gameplay, generic multiplayer, the entire halo franchise got so huge due to xbox's known lack of games, in fact one can say that halo is the only game the original xbox realy had, the enourmous amount of advertising and general media exposition helped as well.
RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts
I think Halo has this one. Im getting both games regardless
da1writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 da1writer
Member since 2005 • 581 Posts

Actually in my opinion, the games are super different from eachother. In better comparison, Haze should be the challenger this year against Halo 3. Now Haze developers have said that they made the game an exclusive (not timed) for PC and PS3, dropping support of the Xbox 360 due to restrictions. The big guns for PS3 this year going against Halo 3 this year by verbatum of Sony is HAZE. Both games are futuristic shooters, having atmospheres similar to each other. Jungle... Both have em.Industrial areas... both have em. And a ton of other maps are the same. Both games will support4 player story andmultiplayer matches. If anyone does their research, Free Radical developers are Ex- developers of the Goldeneye game from N64 era. So this alone should tell you the multiplayer is going to be awesome, just like their Timesplitter Series. So again, multiplayer will both be great on the systems. Who would win in being the best this year, my opinion says Haze because I've seen enough Halo... I just never thought it was great as people have been leading me to believe (I have both PC versions, and they gather dust on my computer), it does have verygood multiplayer though.

Now if anything, KillZone2 is somewhat like Gears of War. Graphics engines look quite similar if you watch both games in motion, differences are Gears of War is using Unreal Engine 3 and Killzone 2is an engine built from the ground up. Killzone is a bit more chaotic than Gears of War. If I want to go more technical, Killzone 2 is bent on a war on the enemies planet and Gears of War is a bit of the same thing. So if anything, it's not good to compare the Killzone 2 and Halo 3 because they are completely different games. One looks better than the other in my opinion (the other I'm referring to looks more like a small update of the last game they made with that Master Sergeant), but time will tell I guess. It's hard to display Halo 3 as the King this Nest Generation for Xbox 360or Killzone 2 as the King of this Next Generation for PS3 because First Person Shooters seem to be poping up everywhere looking just as great or even Better. Bigger question come to mind, don't you?

Will Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 beat Gears of War for Xbox 360, even though they are both made by the same game company?

Will Halo3 beat Gears of War or Bioshock for the Xbox 360or will it be a free for all for no one to actually really decide?

Will Killzone 2 be able to beat Unreal Tounament 3 or Haze for the PS3, or is it a far shot from perfection?

Will any First Person Shooter this year be able to beat the undeniable going to be great Call of Duty 4?

If anyone wants my real opinion, I frankly don't care which game is better because frankly they are all different but yet the same. I think all these First person shooters we'll be getting this year and next year are going to be great! No doubt about it. Whether you frag fest with friends on Halo 3, or go tear up the story with three other friends with Haze, enjoy the single playing gameplay of Bioshock, or run amuck around Unreal Tournamnets online battles, we are going to have the best year (and next)for First Person shooters we've ever had in a long time!

All I got to say is... Damn, are we spoiled or what ;)!

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts

Actually in my opinion, the games are super different from eachother. In better comparison, Haze should be the challenger this year against Halo 3. Now Haze developers have said that they made the game an exclusive (not timed) for PC and PS3, dropping support of the Xbox 360 due to restrictions. The big guns for PS3 this year going against Halo 3 this year by verbatum of Sony is HAZE. Both games are futuristic shooters, having atmospheres similar to each other. Jungle... Both have em.Industrial areas... both have em. And a ton of other maps are the same. Both games will support4 player story andmultiplayer matches. If anyone does their research, Free Radical developers are Ex- developers of the Goldeneye game from N64 era. So this alone should tell you the multiplayer is going to be awesome, just like their Timesplitter Series. So again, multiplayer will both be great on the systems. Who would win in being the best this year, my opinion says Haze because I've seen enough Halo... I just never thought it was great as people have been leading me to believe (I have both PC versions, and they gather dust on my computer), it does have verygood multiplayer though.

Now if anything, KillZone2 is somewhat like Gears of War. Graphics engines look quite similar if you watch both games in motion, differences are Gears of War is using Unreal Engine 3 and Killzone 2is an engine built from the ground up. Killzone is a bit more chaotic than Gears of War. If I want to go more technical, Killzone 2 is bent on a war on the enemies planet and Gears of War is a bit of the same thing. So if anything, it's not good to compare the Killzone 2 and Halo 3 because they are completely different games. One looks better than the other in my opinion (the other I'm referring to looks more like a small update of the last game they made with that Master Sergeant), but time will tell I guess. It's hard to display Halo 3 as the King this Nest Generation for Xbox 360or Killzone 2 as the King of this Next Generation for PS3 because First Person Shooters seem to be poping up everywhere looking just as great or even Better. Bigger question come to mind, don't you?

Will Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 beat Gears of War for Xbox 360, even though they are both made by the same game company?

Will Halo3 beat Gears of War or Bioshock for the Xbox 360or will it be a free for all for no one to actually really decide?

Will Killzone 2 be able to beat Unreal Tounament 3 or Haze for the PS3, or is it a far shot from perfection?

Will any First Person Shooter this year be able to beat the undeniable going to be great Call of Duty 4?

All I got to say is... Damn, are we spoiled or what ;)!

da1writer
SO very true...I CANT WAIT FOR WHITE KNIGHT STORY(starting to finally get tired of all the fps's...but haze, killzone 2 and unreal will be amazing...personally i dont really like the unreal engine 3 too much cus things look kinda plasticy...all shiny and stuff...still amazing though)
generalsaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 generalsaladin
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
If the AI is fixed, then I'm sure it can challenge Halo 3, but win? Maybe not. I'm saying this because Halo is just a damn addicting franchise. Yes, the story line is crap. Yes, the game is overhyped. But we all know, that us ps3 owners want something like halo. IMO Gears of war had a better singleplayer/storyline than halo. Killzone 2 has a chance!
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#44 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i think its a pretty possibility that kz2 will be a better game than halo3. however, halo3 has more than its qualities as a video game. its got the halo namebrand that will drive its sales. but who knows? maybe kz2 will start a trend.
luggymeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 luggymeister
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts

army-of_one

If you believe that a game is only good depending on how much it sells your an idiot.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Symphonycometh
[QUOTE="army-of_one"]

luggymeister

Amen.

If you believe that a game is only good depending on how much it sells your an idiot.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

25 Minutes of Killzone

csstriker4

I hate to break it to you but HALO is not the king of FPS. PC is the king of FPS.

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
In that video the dev said they're trying to make their own style so hopefully when it comes out it won't be dubbed Halo Killer if it's good but rather Killzone.
stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
Halo 3, based on historical proof. Halo 1 and 2 were awesome games, on the other hand, K1 kinda sucked, despite the "holy crap that game has awesome graphics and sweet gameplay" of back then.
Tom1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tom1243
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
HAlo is so overtated. E.g if i had the choice over Half Life or Halo, half life any day, better gameplay, gfx and story. Halo is just a good console FPS. Killzone 2 looks far more appealing, to me anyway.