Just got PlayStation Plus

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shane354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shane354
Member since 2011 • 30 Posts

I just got this for 1 year because just alittle bit over 4 dollars a month is a pretty great deal, but I have a few questions about it tho.

1. How often does the store update? I mainly got it for the 'free' games, to play demos of games and to buy some games at a discount when I feel like it.

2. Do I need to be signed in to play the free games I downloaded?

Thanks for the help in advance!

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

The store to my knowledge updates once a week. I don't think you need to be signed in, you have them stored locally afterall, plus i got Golden Axe and that aint multiplayer so i recon you don't need to be signed in.

I also bought a year worth mostly because it gives 3 months free and i get cloud storage and the free stuff is a bonus, i just hope next gen they have something a little more substantial to entice PS+ buyers. Cloud Storage is a good start but i'd like atleast another feature on the same level as that next time around.

hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts
Smart move. The guy before me answered the question already so all I will say is that PS+ is by far worth it! You'll see
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

The store to my knowledge updates once a week. I don't think you need to be signed in, you have them stored locally afterall, plus i got Golden Axe and that aint multiplayer so i recon you don't need to be signed in.

I also bought a year worth mostly because it gives 3 months free and i get cloud storage and the free stuff is a bonus, i just hope next gen they have something a little more substantial to entice PS+ buyers. Cloud Storage is a good start but i'd like atleast another feature on the same level as that next time around.

JohnF111
Pretty much all of this. The Store updates every Tuesday... usually in the evenings (EST). IGN did a one year review of PS+ and came up with about $900 worth of content that we get for $50 per year. Yet, there is still people saying it's a rip-off. Maybe they aren't good at math:P
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

PS+ has a bunch of free swag, and a lot of stuff is much cheaper. Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 are half as much (but sadly I bought the game literally right before the PSN+ deal so I got a bit screwed). I plan on checking it out myself later on since I loved the trials and deals during the free month.

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
I want PS+ but i dont want to dish out the cash. Its definetely not a ripoff though. Far from it.
Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

jshaas

Pretty much all of this. The Store updates every Tuesday... usually in the evenings (EST). IGN did a one year review of PS+ and came up with about $900 worth of content that we get for $50 per year. Yet, there is still people saying it's a rip-off. Maybe they aren't good at math:P

If its content you dont want theres no point. Its like buying one of those coupon books from a school kid for $10 saying there is $500 worth of free stuff. I have a PS3 and tried the PS+ when it was free. It was alright but I dont see the need for it. I'll just buy what I want instead of paying money for someone to tell me what I can get for free.

xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts

I just got this for 1 year because just alittle bit over 4 dollars a month is a pretty great deal, but I have a few questions about it tho.

1. How often does the store update? I mainly got it for the 'free' games, to play demos of games and to buy some games at a discount when I feel like it.

2. Do I need to be signed in to play the free games I downloaded?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Shane354
The PS+ part of the store is changed on the first normal store update of the month (e.g. last months content will no longer be available to download). Then each week during normal store updates they often sprinkle extra things in here and there. As for having to be signed in, I'm not sure. I don't believe so. Anything that expires has an expiration date in the game data (viewable). I believe you can be offline and still play them.
killev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 killev
Member since 2010 • 657 Posts

whats so great about the ps plus? u still have to pay for full games rite?

xsynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xsynth
Member since 2010 • 864 Posts

killev
Yes you still pay for games (often with a discount on launch if it's digital however). But you also have free games from the PSN store each month that you can play while you're subscribed. I hardly ever buy anything from the store so I find that really good, I get to play the games and if there's something good then great, if it's not that amazing then I'm not too bothered as I didn't pay for it (or a very very small fraction of the price if you want to use the fee for all content). But otherwise automatic download and cloud storage for saves are a good bonus.
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
[QUOTE="mynamesdenvrmax"]

[QUOTE="jshaas"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]

If its content you dont want theres no point. Its like buying one of those coupon books from a school kid for $10 saying there is $500 worth of free stuff. I have a PS3 and tried the PS+ when it was free. It was alright but I dont see the need for it. I'll just buy what I want instead of paying money for someone to tell me what I can get for free.

How do you know you don't want it until you've tried it? That's what is so great about the free games. If they suck, it's no loss to me... I just delete them. It's also given me the chance to play games that I would have not given a second thought to without PS+. Sure, many of the free games aren't very good. But, most of them are worth a single play through.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#12 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Make sure you reap the free themes and avatars :P
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="mynamesdenvrmax"]

[QUOTE="jshaas"] Pretty much all of this. The Store updates every Tuesday... usually in the evenings (EST). IGN did a one year review of PS+ and came up with about $900 worth of content that we get for $50 per year. Yet, there is still people saying it's a rip-off. Maybe they aren't good at math:Pjshaas

How do you know you don't want it until you've tried it? That's what is so great about the free games. If they suck, it's no loss to me... I just delete them. It's also given me the chance to play games that I would have not given a second thought to without PS+. Sure, many of the free games aren't very good. But, most of them are worth a single play through.

Yeah and to get the return of the $50 you spend you can achieve this in as little as 4 purchases, and since it lasts a year buying 4 or 5 things to recover the cost of PS+ in savings is just so easy. The value of PS+ just depends on the person looking at it. For me it's about the Cloud Storage and savings, those are plenty for me and getting free themes, avatars and games every month is just more gravy but like i said i am hoping Sony has more premium features next time around.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

jshaas

Or maybe the content isn't appealing. There may be a lot you CAN get.. but how much of it do you actually WANT? Personally i tried the free PS+ and was far from impressed. There wasn't anything on there i actually wanted. Since my gaming time is limited due to work/family i don't have the time to play anything and everything. So i pick the things that look like i'll really like them. PS+ doesn't seem to offer much for me, so i don't pay for it. If you can find enough content to make it worthwhile for you, then great! Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even those of us who don't think we'd get enough out of PS+ to pay for it.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#15 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

jshaas

It comes down to how much you download... if you download alot then it is worth it as you'll end up saving alot of money in the long run. If the answer is no you don't download alot, then you are going to be kinda dissapointed.

And the "free" games they give you are kinda hit and miss. Some are fun and some are pretty bad, also most of the "free" games don't really cost much to buy in the first place.

So it's just how much you download...

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#16 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="killev"]

xsynth

Yes you still pay for games (often with a discount on launch if it's digital however). But you also have free games from the PSN store each month that you can play while you're subscribed. I hardly ever buy anything from the store so I find that really good, I get to play the games and if there's something good then great, if it's not that amazing then I'm not too bothered as I didn't pay for it (or a very very small fraction of the price if you want to use the fee for all content). But otherwise automatic download and cloud storage for saves are a good bonus.

lol he's a troll...he doesn't even have a PS3. Check his sig next time...

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
The Playstation Play program or whatever they just announced sounds pretty cool... Summer of Arcade without (timed) exclusive games... Buy all the games and get The Heist for free..
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

You get themes, avatars, and discounts every week, actual free games come every two weeks. Once it's downloaded, you can be offline and still play them. After it's over, all free games you got are gone, themes, avatars, and discounted games stay.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

mynamesdenvrmax

This 100% ^^^

If you find value in it then PS+ is good, but most of the free stuff you are given is older games, and older demos. I've been watching PS+ every time it updates, and honestly have only found a couple of things worth getting. So for me $50 is too high of a price to pay.