is it too late to play mgs1?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grongo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 grongo2
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts

Only metal gears I ever played are the ones on NES...I tried the MGS4 demo and thought ehhh this is OK...should I download the first one from PSN? Is it too late to go back to a game like this? Or just skip to 4?

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

You'll appreciate the plot of MGS4 more if you play the first 3.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
never to late to play any game
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts

It is never too late to play a classic game like MGS1.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I agree, it's never too late. I completed MGS1 about a year ago. It was worth it, quite a good game.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

YES IT IS.

YOU'RE VERY LATE TO THE PARTY. :|

[spoiler] Nah, of course not, never too late to try a classic game. [/spoiler]

GramDubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GramDubs
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

the demo of mgs4 formed your opinion? WOW, anyways, forget the demo and buy the game, but first play mgs1-3, 3 and 4 are the best of them all, but 1-4 are the 4 best games i ever played

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Yes! MGS1 has expired! It's rotten and won't load anymore! Just expired two weeks ago!:roll:

..seriously? What kind of question is this anyways..?? "Is it too late to play a game?" It's there! PLAY IT:lol:

GeneralHawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 GeneralHawx
Member since 2009 • 1853 Posts
it's never too late to play a game :)
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I never played this game when I had my PS1, but I bought the PS2 collection which includes the PS1 original.

The first one is a VERY,VERY aged game by today's standards, and I didn't really see it as a classic game after playing it. I'm sure in it's time it was great, but I don't see the recognition it gets now. I actually couldn't even really get into it just due to it being such a dated game. Of course I really didn't care for the PS2 games either, most people think those are greatest PS2 games but I thought they were miserable.

20+ minute cutscenes of nonsense, sprinkled around a merely average gameplay. The latter iterations of this game are as much "movie" as they are game. That would be great if the movie wasn't so terrible.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

I never played this game when I had my PS1, but I bought the PS2 collection which includes the PS1 original.

The first one is a VERY,VERY aged game by today's standards, and I didn't really see it as a classic game after playing it. I'm sure in it's time it was great, but I don't see the recognition it gets now. I actually couldn't even really get into it just due to it being such a dated game. Of course I really didn't care for the PS2 games either, most people think those are greatest PS2 games but I thought they were miserable.

20+ minute cutscenes of nonsense, sprinkled around a merely average gameplay. The latter iterations of this game are as much "movie" as they are game. That would be great if the movie wasn't so terrible.

2Chalupas

Oh yeah, it's aged. There's no doubt about that. You'd have to be a real fan to get it or "started" with MGS1.

But yeah, Metal Gear really is a "love it or hate it" type of game/franchise. I personally liked the story telling and all that. But I've always been for the twists and "how deep does it go" conspiracies anyways. So this was kinda "down my alley". But I like how things are over exaggerated sometimes in Metal Gear and liked the long cutscenes that drove the story forward. To me, Metal Gear is really about the story experience.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
if you can, play Twin Snake rather than the original. The remake is so much more user-friendly, and although cutscenes are redone and sometimes look ridiculous, it's pretty cool watching them. And other than that, everything in the game feels so much better.
CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts

You will never beat Grey Fox in this day and age...

It's like asking if it's to late to be a fan of Queen, they are a classic band just as this is a classic game.

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]if you can, play Twin Snake rather than the original. The remake is so much more user-friendly, and although cutscenes are redone and sometimes look ridiculous, it's pretty cool watching them. And other than that, everything in the game feels so much better.

Yes, do this. The graphics look like MGS2.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#15 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

based on the title i will respond with a joke.

*Ahem*

Why yes.. it is too late. Kojima had each copy, both hard and digital self detonate on New Years Eve 2009... sorry bro... looks like you msised the show.

-ColinR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -ColinR-
Member since 2009 • 424 Posts

Beleive me it is never too late to play this game. It's a classic and if you like it, get MGS2 and MGS3 to better understand the story.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#17 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I can't go back to old games, but if you want to

studster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 studster007
Member since 2007 • 204 Posts

I actually thought MGS1 held up pretty well especially considering how long ago it was released. Sure the graphics are REALLY blocky, which kind of takes away from the experience, the gameplay is solid as ever. I highly recommend you play it

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

It's too late, I'm sorry, we stopped serving breakfast but we are on lunch menu now.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
Graphic wise it's too late to go back, but it being a classic that leaves memories in your gaming head for years, I'd say go for it.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#21 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

It's not too late, but it won't probably have the same effect as it did when it came out (it's very dated.) But if you play through the first three, MGS4 will be much more enjoyable.

big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

Only metal gears I ever played are the ones on NES...I tried the MGS4 demo and thought ehhh this is OK...should I download the first one from PSN? Is it too late to go back to a game like this? Or just skip to 4?

grongo2

its never too late.

Ripcurl530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 Ripcurl530
Member since 2007 • 649 Posts

I actually thought MGS1 held up pretty well especially considering how long ago it was released. Sure the graphics are REALLY blocky, which kind of takes away from the experience, the gameplay is solid as ever. I highly recommend you play it

studster007

Totally agreed. The graphics are blocky, but the atmosphere, music and voice acting make you completely forget about the ps1 graphics. Honestly, that 2-d pixelated texture that is supposed to be Snake's face conveys more emotion than some modern games could hope to. Overall, the feel of this game is what makes it a classic. It's truly and adventure you've got to experience. Also, the gameplay is drastically different than the later entries because there isn't a focus on first-person aiming. For me the series is ranked:

1. MGS1 and MGS4

2. MGS3

3. MGS2

You'll definitely want to experience this one!

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Why would it be too late to play a game?
grongo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 grongo2
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts

Well I got it and so far its taking some time figuring out the controls but I think I'm gonna like it. Now I'm just wondering how to get 2 and 3...what's the deal with Sony putting PS2 material on the PSN? (My PS3 is not backwards compatable, lame).

Laxer04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Laxer04
Member since 2008 • 1256 Posts

its never too late to play a game, but you may have a hard time getting used to the outdated graphics. if you have a gamecube or wii, get twin snakes. it is mgs1 with mgs2 graphics and gameplay. the best metal gear game imo

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

I never played 1-3 and i STILL loved 4.

SuperLuigi65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SuperLuigi65
Member since 2009 • 64 Posts
A friend of mine said it's best to play the other ones before number 4, because you'll probably have trouble understanding things completely without the backstory. The first one is not amazing, but it is part of the plot, so play it.
Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts

You'll appreciate the plot of MGS4 more if you play the first 3.

kingdre
YES, I am SOOOOOOO Glad i played the first 3
jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts

Its never too late why ask this anyways lol but umm yes MGS1 is a good game too start because its that good,but play the PS1 version because twin snakes sucks bad its nothing like the PS1 version even Kojima said he hated alot..

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

grongo2
Its never too late to experience a classic.
crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
i had memories of my brother playing mgs1 and 2 so i decided to play it from the start and i did not regret a single momentof it, its never to late
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

It's never to late to experience MGS franchise. Play 1-3 and then play the forth one. Don't forget the Peace Walker on PSP is almost here. :)