Is it just me or is horror going downhill?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Gray_Wolf-13
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts

Like my topic states, I've been looking through some of my PS2 games and realized that despite better graphics and what not that the "next generation" systems offer they haven't produced a horror game that I can say is "scary" or even "creepy" :(

This argument is based on the fact that the best horror games that I've ever played all came from the PS2. Top of the list would be the Fatal Frame series, in particular Fatal Frame 2. Fatal Frame was great not only in the fact that things happened to make you scream:o but the atmosphere combined with bone chilling sounds made it so that you would look over your back at the slightest noise and would rarely leave your door open while you played at night :shock:

But now look at the PS3, which I have owned for a little over a year now. They have come out with a few horror games (such as Jericho and Condemned 2) and not one has been able to deliver the same feeling. :( At best, these games have made you say "eww" instead of making you yell out in shock or make you shake despite the fact that its 90 degrees outside. (I live in Vegas :P) They seem to be aiming for the gamble that if they have enough gore in a game that you'll be satisfied. :roll: Well I work as an EMT so blood, guts, and brain fragments don't scare me, especially since I've had the pleasure of seeing and even handling these substances. What happened to the good old days where blood was an accessory to the fright and not the primary mechanism? :?

I just hope that they can bring something out that is at least half of what Fatal Frame and many other PS2 and even Gamecube (Resident Evil 4 among many others) titles were. Some of the games that I'm looking at and praying for are Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill: Home Coming, but I'm not holding my breath. :|

Gray Wolf

LuckyLy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LuckyLy
Member since 2008 • 1987 Posts

Like my topic states, I've been looking through some of my PS2 games and realized that despite better graphics and what not that the "next generation" systems offer they haven't produced a horror game that I can say is "scary" or even "creepy" :(

This argument is based on the fact that the best horror games that I've ever played all came from the PS2. Top of the list would be the Fatal Frame series, in particular Fatal Frame 2. Fatal Frame was great not only in the fact that things happened to make you scream:o but the atmosphere combined with bone chilling sounds made it so that you would look over your back at the slightest noise and would rarely leave your door open while you played at night :shock:

But now look at the PS3, which I have owned for a little over a year now. They have come out with a few horror games (such as Jericho and Condemned 2) and not one has been able to deliver the same feeling. :( At best, these games have made you say "eww" instead of making you yell out in shock or make you shake despite the fact that its 90 degrees outside. (I live in Vegas :P) They seem to be aiming for the gamble that if they have enough gore in a game that you'll be satisfied. :roll: Well I work as an EMT so blood, guts, and brain fragments don't scare me, especially since I've had the pleasure of seeing and even handling these substances. What happened to the good old days where blood was an accessory to the fright and not the primary mechanism? :?

I just hope that they can bring something out that is at least half of what Fatal Frame and many other PS2 and even Gamecube (Resident Evil 4 among many others) titles were. Some of the games that I'm looking at and praying for are Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill: Home Coming, but I'm not holding my breath. :|

Gray Wolf

Gray_Wolf-13

The sad thing is Fatal Frame IV is exclusive to the Wii and Resident Evil 4 wasn't even scary....the only game that truly freaked me out was Fatal Frame 1. I will NEVER play that game alone at night.

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

Its not that they are going downhill, its just that we are older, much more used to the techniques. Try watching an old scary movie and you will notice how the genre hasnt changed at all when compared to a new one (except for the fact that for some weird reason now chicks are the lead characters).

We grew, we got used to the techniques, and as you grow, horror changes into suspense, and whats left is for them to impress us, thus goryness comes into play. Most of the people is not used to it, so it shocks them (yeah right) and in most cases it works, thus, games that arent scary at all, get the title badge anyway.

In my opinion, the only thing that we get scared in this games is about dying, which is turned into suspense, since we know a bugger is going to jump at us sooner or later, so we are already expecting it. In the past, with Resident Evil, we were just introduced to this genre, and to make it better it was 3D which made it more real life like.

So now, developers try to go for our other senses, they try to scare us with dead bodies, and deformed enemies. They try to keep us on the edge of the seat with suspicious noises and similar techniques. Most games fail to actually employ them well, resulting in fiascos as Cold Fear or Resident Evil 4, the later one turning itself into an action game instead of a survival game as the past versions.

In the past years, I´ve seen only a handfull of this kind of game. Doom 3 on one side handled the atmosphere of being on the edge of the chair most of the time, Condemned 2 has a great sense of spookyness when in the interior levels, Siren New Translation demo shows that the genre can still be done, and works out great with current gen graphics. The best way to make them more scary is to limit the freedom we have in terms of movements (I dont mean making the gameplay worser). If you check the Siren demo, you will notice how it uses the old Resident Evil mechanics, which, though archaic, work fantastic in this genre. Another thing that made Resident Evil games spooky, or lets say kept you on guard was the lack of ammo. If you can kill enemies and miraculously find ammo, then you loose the sense of survivalism, you just know that you can shoot someone and get back even more bullets. That makes you be less worry about how you rationate the bullets. Who doesnt remember counting every single bullet left in the magazine and being worried about what was going to come next?

Pliskinsonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Pliskinsonus
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts

ESL ftl.

SH2 has my scary award thus far.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

I wouldn't bother expecting Alone In The Dark to be scary. Judging from gameplay vidoes it doesn't even look like it's going to be a horror game, just a generic Action/Adventure with a good physics engine that includes some horror elements in it's story. They're trying to make it appeal to too many people and in the process they look like they're losing sight of what the series was in the first place, which is a pure Survival Horror title (the first of it's kind infact).

I wouldn't mind so much if they hadn't slapped the AITD name on it and just made it a new game. This game looks to be a travesty to the series and the genre.

I'm still holding out hope for Silent Hill: Homecoming, Dead Space and Siren: Blood Curse to provide a real Survival Horror experience but I doubt they will ever be as good as in the old days of the genre. I doubt any game this generation will match the scares of the original Silent Hill and Fatal Frame.

Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gray_Wolf-13

Though I agree that as we grow older we begin to adapt to the usual horror aspect that doesn't mean that they should just give it up. I take Kempo lessons and once of my instructors is a horror nut like I am. Well he kinda had the same going as I am now, he had lost all faith in finding a decent scary game, so I recommended the Fatal Frame series and got it for him. (note that he is about ten years older than I am) The next time I talked to him, this was about two weeks later, he told me that Fatal Frame had, and I quote, "restored his hope in gamemaking". He told me that while playing the second Fatal Frame he could only go for about 30 minutes a night and then after he finished playing he had to watch an hour and a half of cartoons just to calm him down enough so he could go to bed.

I don't think that horror games are becoming worse because we are growing used to them. More so, I think horror games have stopped being scary because they've given up.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

it has nothing to do with being older. i played Fatal Frame games so much later than RE1,2,3 or SH1,2,3 but its the only one with real heavy atmosphere and made me almost stop playing.

now i see FF4 is exclusive for Wii ? that makes me sad...

Handsome-Dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Handsome-Dead
Member since 2007 • 282 Posts
For me horror is going downhill, it seems to me that most companies are tapping more on the FPS Horror titles, but for me a lot of these are below par, I'm seriously hoping that SIREN will change this and be a great starting point for some true Survival Horror titles appearing in this generation. I also have high hopes for Silent Hill V, but with it not being developed by Team Silent, I also have some doubt :/. I'm saddened greatly by the lack of quality Survival Horror titles on the market these day, but even more so by the awful horror FPS games which seem more focused on the Horrible rather than the horror.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
Hey I live in Vegas too huh small world, Anyway back on topic your right there haven't been many good scary games come out this gen the only ones I will even dub at least creepy are FEAR, and Condemned 1, but hopefully down the line more good horror games will come.
VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 VVatson
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

Well you know, I guess it comes in spurts. Take example the first few generations of games (atari, NES, etc.), horror games couldn't really be made during this time due to the graphics capabilities making it basically impossible. Now I'm not saying that there weren't any horror games on the NES, but were they really horrific?

I thought the genre exploded during the PS1 era with Silent Hills and Resident Evils. I hope that the horror genre comes back up.

Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gray_Wolf-13

Well you know, I guess it comes in spurts. Take example the first few generations of games (atari, NES, etc.), horror games couldn't really be made during this time due to the graphics capabilities making it basically impossible. Now I'm not saying that there weren't any horror games on the NES, but were they really horrific?

I thought the genre exploded during the PS1 era with Silent Hills and Resident Evils. I hope that the horror genre comes back up.

VVatson

But I fear another genre explosion will never come. I agree with you on the point that horror titles were hard back in the day because of the lack of graphics but now a days they can make a game so realistic that you start to actually believe that you're in the game with your character. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are, in no way, lacking in graphics and yet their survival horror games are abysmal and an insult to those of us who appreciate good survival horror. Isn't the whole point of a game that has a "horror" genre tag to scare the crap out of you while you play it and not make it so you want to eat raw steak the same night you beat the game?

Though I am with you in hoping that this is just a phase, I fear that it may be some time before they change their tactics from bloody murder to spine chilling survival, but maybe its just me...

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Last game I remember freaked me out was SH2... after that the games have been ok, but not really scary IMHO.

I'm hoping for the AitD remake to scare the crap out of me, but we'll see.

Avatar image for SecretWasianMan
SecretWasianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 SecretWasianMan
Member since 2006 • 1462 Posts
Yeah same here, Silent Hill 2 was scary and so was Condemned. Other than that... it seems like games have lost the edged to scare me. I'm not talking about the "OH **** moments in games like Doom3, I'm talking about being genuinly creeped out so much that you're loathing every corner you turn. I miss these moments. Resident Evil has been more action oriented than scary, it has its moments, but survival horror is fading unfortunatley. I have my hopes on Silent Hill 5. We'll see.
Keasy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Keasy4
Member since 2003 • 16843 Posts
still have fear, condemned, dead space, RE5, silent hill.. other can come..
illustrated212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 illustrated212
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts
2 words.......... DEAD SPACE!! It's gonna be the hottest game of the year!!
henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 henry4th
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

Its not that they are going downhill, its just that we are older, much more used to the techniques. Try watching an old scary movie and you will notice how the genre hasnt changed at all when compared to a new one (except for the fact that for some weird reason now chicks are the lead characters).

We grew, we got used to the techniques, and as you grow, horror changes into suspense, and whats left is for them to impress us, thus goryness comes into play. Most of the people is not used to it, so it shocks them (yeah right) and in most cases it works, thus, games that arent scary at all, get the title badge anyway.

In my opinion, the only thing that we get scared in this games is about dying, which is turned into suspense, since we know a bugger is going to jump at us sooner or later, so we are already expecting it. In the past, with Resident Evil, we were just introduced to this genre, and to make it better it was 3D which made it more real life like.

So now, developers try to go for our other senses, they try to scare us with dead bodies, and deformed enemies. They try to keep us on the edge of the seat with suspicious noises and similar techniques. Most games fail to actually employ them well, resulting in fiascos as Cold Fear or Resident Evil 4, the later one turning itself into an action game instead of a survival game as the past versions.

In the past years, I´ve seen only a handfull of this kind of game. Doom 3 on one side handled the atmosphere of being on the edge of the chair most of the time, Condemned 2 has a great sense of spookyness when in the interior levels, Siren New Translation demo shows that the genre can still be done, and works out great with current gen graphics. The best way to make them more scary is to limit the freedom we have in terms of movements (I dont mean making the gameplay worser). If you check the Siren demo, you will notice how it uses the old Resident Evil mechanics, which, though archaic, work fantastic in this genre. Another thing that made Resident Evil games spooky, or lets say kept you on guard was the lack of ammo. If you can kill enemies and miraculously find ammo, then you loose the sense of survivalism, you just know that you can shoot someone and get back even more bullets. That makes you be less worry about how you rationate the bullets. Who doesnt remember counting every single bullet left in the magazine and being worried about what was going to come next?

kenshinhimura16

To be honest, in films, I've never seen any American movies that's truly horrifying. they are shocking with gore, but not horrifying.

Maybe it's because I'm an Asian, I find Japanese horror films are truly teriffying. They don't completely rely on blood and gore, they rely on sound, atmosphere, and character emotions.

In the same way, American (to a large extent, Western) horror games are just like American films, not really horrifying. I'm looking at Siren on PS3 right now, hopefully it will be like a true horrifying Japanese film where it makes you fearful for days if not weeks.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

i agree wiv everyone here and i think it is a little of everything. we do get older and other things scare us but i believe it isnt the fact were getting older that they aren't scary i think it's like someone said the developers r using different angles to scare when them angles dont scare but just make us think thats sick or gross, fps like condemmed that didnt scare me, i knew what i was up against, ended up being a episode of csi just wiv fighting inbetween. condemmed to was the same.

there are different angles to approach horror, as you had your resi 1, (i wudnt say any of the others were really that horror best more story driven) so gettin bak resi 1 was just one of them games which just changed everything, limited amount of ammo camera angles where u cudnt see what was comin up, large dark corridors lots of doors, strange noises, and a good atmosphere.

i will have to invest in fatal frame and see wot the fuss is about. but i believe now is the time horror can be put back on the map, what a good horror game should have, that should be the next topic in this thread

i believe a good horror should havfe, great intense music perfectly alined with whats happening on screen, great moments of shadows moving infront or behind , sheer twists and other events happening around you, dark and creppy and a great story to hold it all together, and gripping edge moments where you really do feel that you have to surive, not just making go o yea thts wot we do and we surive

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
[QUOTE="kenshinhimura16"]

henry4th

To be honest, in films, I've never seen any American movies that's truly horrifying. they are shocking with gore, but not horrifying.

Maybe it's because I'm an Asian, I find Japanese horror films are truly teriffying. They don't completely rely on blood and gore, they rely on sound, atmosphere, and character emotions.

In the same way, American (to a large extent, Western) horror games are just like American films, not really horrifying. I'm looking at Siren on PS3 right now, hopefully it will be like a true horrifying Japanese film where it makes you fearful for days if not weeks.

I compeltely agree with you. Asian horror movies are much better. they resort to atmosphere rather than goryness, and it makes them more scary. I remember seing the Eye for the first time a couple of years ago, or the originals of the Ring and the one with Buffy lol and their asian originals (they were from Japan right) were much more scary than their american counterparts, were they focused to much on the "creatures" to name them in a way, rather than the idea that made the originals great flicks. The same happens with most games. Most rely of a distant scream or gory things poping out rather than creating a tense atmosphere, were you dont want to actually move afraid of whats to come

indongga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 indongga
Member since 2003 • 10329 Posts
games that you mentioned such as jericho and condemned, i dont put into the category of horror, in my opinion they're more like thrillers since they got more action than like...things trying to scare you, same thing like F.E.A.R i didnt think it was scary because its a first person shooter or is viewed in a first person perspective. games such as fatal frame, and silent hill is still gonna scare me, same with clock tower two, they scare me too.
SHAGGZY101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SHAGGZY101
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts
[QUOTE="Gray_Wolf-13"]

Gray Wolf

LuckyLy

The sad thing is Fatal Frame IV is exclusive to the Wii and Resident Evil 4 wasn't even scary....the only game that truly freaked me out was Fatal Frame 1. I will NEVER play that game alone at night.

same here i think i finished it with the lights on man that was creepy i think fatal frame is a great name too it was called project zero here for some reason

moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts
Due to me being a big fat (thin and sexy ;) ) girl I can't play these games without needing a new pair of lacey underwear ten minutes in my opinion is useless.

Yes, they are going down hill.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
[QUOTE="kenshinhimura16"]

henry4th

Awww come on America has spawned some great horror movies i.e. Psycho, The Shining, Exorcist, Miser, Frailty, The Omen, and a few other that I don't know if I'd put in horror exactly but are kind of like horror like Silence Of The Lambs, Seven, Alien, Aliens, and etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc24faac533d
deactivated-5cc24faac533d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 deactivated-5cc24faac533d
Member since 2007 • 691 Posts
The genre is overworked, there is nothing new coming out of it to make people "eww" or cry out in suprise. Its all the same. It would have to cross some seriously wrong boundaries to actually make them original again, boundaries that I dont even want to go into.
Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gray_Wolf-13
[QUOTE="henry4th"][QUOTE="kenshinhimura16"]

kenshinhimura16

I compeltely agree with you. Asian horror movies are much better. they resort to atmosphere rather than goryness, and it makes them more scary. I remember seing the Eye for the first time a couple of years ago, or the originals of the Ring and the one with Buffy lol and their asian originals (they were from Japan right) were much more scary than their american counterparts, were they focused to much on the "creatures" to name them in a way, rather than the idea that made the originals great flicks. The same happens with most games. Most rely of a distant scream or gory things poping out rather than creating a tense atmosphere, were you dont want to actually move afraid of whats to come

I agree with you fully. American made games seem to be more focused on the action, creatures, and the blood that comes from both of the previous mentioned attributes. Meanwhile, if you look at games that have come from areas outside of the states (Japan being my fav.) they put their focus more on the atmosphere and the ability to make you feel dread with each step you take rather than make you some unbelievable superhero battling zombies that you'd laugh at instead of scream at. One of the comments earlier said that RE1 was good because the limited ammo made you extremely nervous and, thus, you would have to resort to traps and knife battle. In my book THAT'S what survival horror is all about. You need to have atmosphere but you also need things to be realistic. A game that comes to mind would be RE4. You would find additional ammo from the villagers. Why would VILLAGERS who had aliens implanted in their head and who were attacking you with pitchforks and other close range weapons be carrying around boxes of magnum ammo? Its just stupid!

Although, I have checked out Siren and, like many of my fellow horror fans, am eagerly awaiting it. With some luck, and a lot of faith, we might get a true survival horror game at long last.

Ray_Out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Ray_Out
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts

The horror genre will pick up once Resident Evil 5 is released.

The game is truly next generation material.

killzone_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26 killzone_gamer
Member since 2007 • 2333 Posts

Due to me being a big fat (thin and sexy ;) ) girl I can't play these games without needing a new pair of lacey underwear ten minutes in my opinion is useless.

Yes, they are going down hill.moshakirby18

Your a girl?

I cant argue with a Girl! Our argument is over :)

But any way i think with releases such as Resi 5 and Dead Spcae we will find out whether Horror is going downhill or not ...

*dun dun duuuun!*

gamemaster_650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamemaster_650
Member since 2006 • 199 Posts
Silent Hill 1 and the Resident Evil series are scary (scarier in the dark), but apparently condemned 2 is really scary
Pliskinsonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pliskinsonus
Member since 2008 • 69 Posts

Your a girl?

killzone_gamer

Wow, what difference does it make? Some people are so petty. If you have differing opinions with anyone, boy or girl, that's just dumb to stop a legitimate argument over. That's very genderist... or sexist.

Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gray_Wolf-13

Ray_Out

We can hope but with the current trend they are on I'm trying to not get myself prepared for another disappointment. Condemned 2 was supposed to be the hype of scary but it didn't even faze me.

Though, Resident Evil has been a pretty reliable series (there's some mixed reviews on RE 4 but I thought the parts where there WERE things to get freaked out over were good, especially those white things on the island).

Though it saddens me greatly to hear that Fatal Frame 4 is wii exclusive. Nothing against wii fans, i personally think the wii is a good system, but I don't think Nintendo or its system will do it justice...:(

killzone_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#30 killzone_gamer
Member since 2007 • 2333 Posts
[QUOTE="killzone_gamer"]

Your a girl?

Pliskinsonus

Wow, what difference does it make? Some people are so petty. If you have differing opinions with anyone, boy or girl, that's just dumb to stop a legitimate argument over. That's very genderist... or sexist.

Please get over yourself you politically correct moron!

It was a joke!

Jeez louise...

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

Ray_Out

No doubt RE5 is gonna be hot, but since its a lot like RE4, horror will be on the side while there will be more action.

Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gray_Wolf-13
[QUOTE="Ray_Out"]

WR_Platinum

No doubt RE5 is gonna be hot, but since its a lot like RE4, horror will be on the side while there will be more action.

My point exactly...:(

ShadowTech_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShadowTech_FTW
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

sorry to say but our best horror games come from japan....and i'm still waiting for a great rpg to hop on the ps3

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Well the new Alone in the Dark, RE 5 and SH5 are coming, so i think no

Its just that horror games are rare since long times, like 30 fps for every horror game lol

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Well the new Alone in the Dark, RE 5 and SH5 are coming, so i think no

Its just that horror games are rare since long times, like 30 fps for every horror game lol

DealRogers

FPS = first person shooters not frames

DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts
I know what you mean. I remember I couldn't play fatal frame at night with the lights off. Nowadays these games are light in scares.
Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gray_Wolf-13

I know what you mean. I remember I couldn't play fatal frame at night with the lights off. Nowadays these games are light in scares.DanteSuikoden

And its not so much that. I agree that having things in the game that make you gasp in fright is important but it also isn't needed. I remember that ghosts flying through walls was just one thing about Fatal Frame that would freak me out. If anything the thing that pushed Fatal Frame and the Silent Hill series is how the environment combined with eerie sounds made you THINK that something was going to happen but nothing did. This, however, usually freaked you out more because you started to doubt your own senses. Then if you played the game at night, the only time to play a horror game in my opinion ;), you'd start to see freaky things everywhere but whenever you would pluck up the courage to investigate closer you'd find that it was only a tree or a sign post. The good horror games targeted the mind and not the stomach like these cheesy gore fest games that have been given the horror slogan.

That's truely what I think horror games are missing. F.E.A.R has been a nice attempt at this but the problem is that F.E.A.R focuses too much on the FPS portion on the game and not enough on the horror aspect. If they took a little more time to balance the two out I think F.E.A.R could be an excellent horror title, but I guess we'll have to wait until Project Origin to see if they've learned anything...:roll:

GUNpoint_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GUNpoint_
Member since 2008 • 1964 Posts
imo, the PC has the scariest experiences when it comes to games. Condemned: Criminal Origins & F.E.A.R. were both scary as hell on the PC.
vette68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vette68
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

I'm sure that they will make more horror games, the only game that ever horrified me was the first silent hill. though i was disappointed with the final boss.

vette68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vette68
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

I'm sure that they will make more horror games, the only game that ever horrified me was the first silent hill. though i was disappointed with the final boss.

vette68

also i thought doom 3 was scary

Kyoshiro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kyoshiro19
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts
If you guys haven't played Kuon for the ps2, you should give it a try. It's one of my favorite horror games besides the Fatal Frame series. It's almost as scary if not just as scary as the Fatal Frame games.
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#42 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

Gray Wolf

Gray_Wolf-13

Thats because every developer that has made a "horror" game so far tried to make it in First Person. I hate that so much, and its not scary. They need to tone down these damn first person games.

Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gray_Wolf-13
[QUOTE="Gray_Wolf-13"]

Gray Wolf

JudgementEden

That's because every developer that has made a "horror" game so far tried to make it in First Person. I hate that so much, and its not scary. They need to tone down these damn first person games.

I don't think that's true. FEAR has the potential of being an incredible horror game with just one problem, they are focused more on the FPS of the game and not the horror. To me, any game has the potential to be a horror game, but you need to be willing to try and even out the formula.

What I mean is that you can consider FEAR to be 1 part horror and 3 parts FPS. Well if they made the equation a little more even (perhaps put a few extra points in horror) FEAR could be a good title, which is why Project Origin is one of the games that I am waiting for. If they've learned anything they will had kept the hardcore shooting but added some more juice to the horror aspect.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

It's just that devs are falling into the trap of making it way too easy to kill the horror... I mean literally.

RE4: Scary for the first few minutes... until I got the shotgun and TMP to mow through EVERYTHING in my path. Then it just became a fun game, not a scary one.

Tlahui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tlahui
Member since 2005 • 1552 Posts
I think I agree. It is sowly just becoming action games with weird creatures. I only played the condemed demo, and that seemed pretty cool, but I heard the game went down hill halfway through. I still want to check it out.
GUNpoint_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GUNpoint_
Member since 2008 • 1964 Posts
[QUOTE="JudgementEden"][QUOTE="Gray_Wolf-13"]

Gray Wolf

Gray_Wolf-13

That's because every developer that has made a "horror" game so far tried to make it in First Person. I hate that so much, and its not scary. They need to tone down these damn first person games.

I don't think that's true. FEAR has the potential of being an incredible horror game with just one problem, they are focused more on the FPS of the game and not the horror. To me, any game has the potential to be a horror game, but you need to be willing to try and even out the formula.

What I mean is that you can consider FEAR to be 1 part horror and 3 parts FPS. Well if they made the equation a little more even (perhaps put a few extra points in horror) FEAR could be a good title, which is why Project Origin is one of the games that I am waiting for. If they've learned anything they will had kept the hardcore shooting but added some more juice to the horror aspect.

did you play FEAR on the PS3 or PC? because trust me, both are COMPLETELY different experiences. FEAR on the PC has amazing graphics, amazing sound, (provided you have the right hardware), and fully cuztomizable controls. i rented FEAR today for the PS3 to rekindle some fond memories, and wow, was i dissapointed. don't get me wrong, FEAR for the PS3 is still a solid shooter that anyone should at least rent, but FEAR for the PC is probably the most horrifying experience there is to date. Alma is a mixture of the girl from the ring & the grudge. my first playthrough was painstakingly terrifying. in fact, it was so bad that i felt it was a chore to play it due to the fright. but when i finished it, i was able to enjoy the top notch gameplay, since i already knew where all the pop out scares were. FEAR is such an amazing FPS, its a shame we PS3 owners got such a washed out port.

what really made FEAR scary was the sense of being alone. i actually wanted to run into some bad guys. and there are so many little touches that add to the chilling atmosphere, too. like when you walk & you hit a soda can, and you think there's something behind you, or when you catch a glimpse of Alma from the corner of your eye & she vanishes. this was truly an excellent game and i can't wait for Project Origin.

Monolith has got the action/horror genre down to the punch. Condemned, Condemned 2, FEAR, & soon to be Project Origin are all fantastic titles that horror lovers should own
Gray_Wolf-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gray_Wolf-13
[QUOTE="Gray_Wolf-13"][QUOTE="JudgementEden"][QUOTE="Gray_Wolf-13"]

Gray Wolf

GUNpoint_

did you play FEAR on the PS3 or PC? because trust me, both are COMPLETELY different experiences. FEAR on the PC has amazing graphics, amazing sound, (provided you have the right hardware), and fully cuztomizable controls. i rented FEAR today for the PS3 to rekindle some fond memories, and wow, was i disappointed. Don't get me wrong, FEAR for the PS3 is still a solid shooter that anyone should at least rent, but FEAR for the PC is probably the most horrifying experience there is to date. Alma is a mixture of the girl from the ring & the grudge. my first playthrough was painstakingly terrifying. in fact, it was so bad that i felt it was a chore to play it due to the fright. but when i finished it, i was able to enjoy the top notch gameplay, since i already knew where all the pop out scares were. FEAR is such an amazing FPS, its a shame we PS3 owners got such a washed out port.

what really made FEAR scary was the sense of being alone. i actually wanted to run into some bad guys. and there are so many little touches that add to the chilling atmosphere, too. like when you walk & you hit a soda can, and you think there's something behind you, or when you catch a glimpse of Alma from the corner of your eye & she vanishes. this was truly an excellent game and i can't wait for Project Origin.

Monolith has got the action/horror genre down to the punch. Condemned, Condemned 2, FEAR, & soon to be Project Origin are all fantastic titles that horror lovers should own

While I'm willing to say that FEAR was indeed a good FPS horror title there were also some things that I wished they would have fixed.

Atmosphere, sounds, graphics, and chills were present in FEAR (most noticeably for the FEAR expansion Extraction Point) but one of the things that made the game not a "perfect winner" in my book was the fact that supplies were in no short supply. At the start of every mission, without fail, I would have all my medkits, full armor, and full ammo for at least two of my guns. In my book they should have made your ammo much more limited. This would have increased your uneasiness simply for the fact that you'd have to weigh if you could afford to fight the next battle in one way or another.

Another thing that disappointed me was that though Alma would appear in both forms (little girl in the red dress and her older teenage form) she could cause you no harm. She could appear behind you, next to you, on top of you, and anywhere but the knowledge that she couldn't cause me any damage (with the exception of the end of the first game) made it a lot easier to handle those sudden moments. In FF2 the boss, a ghost girl by the name of Sai, was the reason why so many ghosts were in the village. She too had a scary aspect and had a knack for appear suddenly in odd places, just like Alma. The DIFFERENCE is that Sai not only could harm you, she could kill you. This made the times when she would appear absolutely horrifying because each time you would be thinking "is she going to try and kill me or is she just trying to scare me?" And if you think this enough you soon begin to see her everywhere, behind every creak on the floor, inside every shadow, behind every door.

If I gave the impression that I hated FEAR then I must apologize. I, in fact thought FEAR to be entertaining and about a 6 out of 10 in the frightening aspect, but I also wanted to point out that there was room for improvement (anyone who's played Perseus Mandate will agree to that...) :?