is heavy rain worth it?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JAM1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JAM1313
Member since 2009 • 364 Posts

after playing the demo i realized how the replay value didnt appear valuable, even the game seemed more of a digital movie rather then a game. to those whove bought it or played it, am i right on the totaly game play? i bet the replay value just isnt worth the 60 bucks. seems more like a renter....

yodaddyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 yodaddyninja
Member since 2009 • 769 Posts

Definitely rent it.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
The director of the game said not to replay it... However, I bought the game and just finished it today... and I want to replay it!!! The game has many different endings, and I like all the characters so I want to see what all the endings are.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

after playing the demo i realized how the replay value didnt appear valuable, even the game seemed more of a digital movie rather then a game. to those whove bought it or played it, am i right on the totaly game play? i bet the replay value just isnt worth the 60 bucks. seems more like a renter....

JAM1313
I thought it was a very innovative/unique new ip. Having said that, I don't think it's my cup of tea. If a friend buys it I'll probably give it more of a chance, but I won't be buying it.
yodaddyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yodaddyninja

There's only a couple endings, which can easily be achieved in a week rental..Nothing major really changes besides the ending, and even then, like I said, there's only a couple endings.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

There's only a couple endings, which can easily be achieved in a week rental..Nothing major really changes besides the ending, and even then, like I said, there's only a couple endings.

yodaddyninja
There's 7 different endings, and there are many major changes, because all the main characters can die at many different parts...........
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
that demo doesn't do the game any justice. It is more of the experience. There are 19 different endings not counting the other 2 or 3 that are trophies. It is like a good movie. I think it is worth it.
Foxh0und666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Foxh0und666
Member since 2008 • 479 Posts

There are MANY other games out right now that would be a worse purchase than Heavy Rain, however I agree that it's best off as a rental. But as a previous post said, the demo does the game no justice. The first few hours of the game are just boring to play, and demo takes place in them. Once you get to about halfway through the game you're not going to believe just how interesting and fun it gets. But back to your question, rent it, don't buy it.

spicoli420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 spicoli420
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

I would say buy it! I just finished the game last night and plan on revisiting soon. I found it to be so refreshing in the sea of games that generally don't bring much to the table of creativity.

yodaddyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yodaddyninja

Just put it this way- Rent it. When you beat, would you want to walk around and click on the same things for another 8-10 hours just to see something differant happen? This is the type of game in which you beat it, then move on.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
The most worth purchasing game I've played this generation... Probably my favorite game period. I am a huge adventure game fan though, including point and clicks. :P
bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
Buy it. It's worth it, if you're interested in it. I've played it through 3 times, and still want to play it again. I probably will within a couple months. I wouldn't have regretted buying it if I only played it once, though. The experience was one of the best I've had in a videogame, and I'm happy to support an incredible developer like Quantic Dream.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

The most worth purchasing game I've played this generation... Probably my favorite game period. I am a huge adventure game fan though, including point and clicks. :P raven_squad

So you like Still Life?

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]The most worth purchasing game I've played this generation... Probably my favorite game period. I am a huge adventure game fan though, including point and clicks. :P Dogswithguns

So you like Still Life?

I liked it well enough. Not one of my favorites though.
PurpleSmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 PurpleSmile
Member since 2010 • 1068 Posts
I'm getting this game, My friends said it's worth it. Give it a shot ;)
Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
I think it's a game worthy of supporting, So buy! At the least buy it when the price drops.
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
its an excellent game
ekultus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ekultus
Member since 2010 • 1013 Posts

no game is worth $60, might be why i only own one ps3 game and 20 or so PC games

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
It's definitely a rental. I beat it, and have no desire whatsoever to replay it again.
edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
I regret buying it. SHould have been a rent.
Omni-Gamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Omni-Gamer-
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts
Short answer? Yes. Long answer? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss.
fishman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fishman100
Member since 2007 • 226 Posts

its the best game i have Ever played. Its about Quality not about quantity.

if you want quantity dont buy it. if you want quality buy it.

darkhart7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darkhart7
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

I havent finished yet but it is like a good movie, probably will experience it again sometime down the road but just not anytime soon I reckon. Same with MGS4, i havent touched the game in ages but ill probably go through it again like twas a good blu ray.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Let me put it this way:

Have you ever, in your life, complained about the lack of creativity or novelty in gaming? Do you find yourself bemoaning the FPS dominated market? Do you wish that developers would "take more chances"? If so, then yes, you should buy Heavy Rain. Not only should you buy it, but you need to buy it if you ever want to complain about lack of originality in games ever again (at least without being a hypocrit). Heavy Rain is a fresh, original experience and a damn good one at that. Furthermore, it's sales have been impressive thus far and as a result it's very likely that we'll see another game come out by Quantic Dream, and hopefully other developers will try to copy Quantic's success as well. Basically, Heavy Rain may very well resurrect the adventure genre which would be pure awesome if it were to happen. The more sales Heavy Rain gets, the better the chances of that happening.

Now if you haven't ever complained about originality in gaming, then I'd say Heavy Rain is still worth purchase. It's got replay value in the different endings and paths the game can take and they've got DLC on the way to provide new experiences. It's also a very high quality single player experience, one of the best I've had in a long time. It's also pretty different from anything else out there (the only other game like it being it's spiritual predecessor, Indigo Prophecy).

If you want maximum bang for your buck, go buy an online game which gives you infinite replay value. If, however, you want a quality single player experience, pick up Heavy Rain.

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

I bought it and am glad that I did. It is different than anything else I've played this generation. I would say that if you are unsure, you could probably rent it and play through the story before the rental time is up. If you beat it and liked it enough that you want to play it again to see some of the other endings, you could then buy it then.

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts

Let me put it this way:

Have you ever, in your life, complained about the lack of creativity or novelty in gaming? Do you find yourself bemoaning the FPS dominated market? Do you wish that developers would "take more chances"? If so, then yes, you should buy Heavy Rain. Not only should you buy it, but you need to buy it if you ever want to complain about lack of originality in games ever again (at least without being a hypocrit). Heavy Rain is a fresh, original experience and a damn good one at that. Furthermore, it's sales have been impressive thus far and as a result it's very likely that we'll see another game come out by Quantic Dream, and hopefully other developers will try to copy Quantic's success as well. Basically, Heavy Rain may very well resurrect the adventure genre which would be pure awesome if it were to happen. The more sales Heavy Rain gets, the better the chances of that happening.

Now if you haven't ever complained about originality in gaming, then I'd say Heavy Rain is still worth purchase. It's got replay value in the different endings and paths the game can take and they've got DLC on the way to provide new experiences. It's also a very high quality single player experience, one of the best I've had in a long time. It's also pretty different from anything else out there (the only other game like it being it's spiritual predecessor, Indigo Prophecy).

If you want maximum bang for your buck, go buy an online game which gives you infinite replay value. If, however, you want a quality single player experience, pick up Heavy Rain.

gameguy6700
I'm commander Shepard and this is my favorite post in this thread! Really, this basically sums it up. Excellent game aside, Heavy Rain really is a push in the right direction for the gaming industry. Hopefully more devs will follow suit, but in order for that to happen, people need to show that they're all for it. The best way to do so is through Heavy Rain's sales (which are doing pretty damn well for how 'risky' the game is),
djvj_y2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 djvj_y2k
Member since 2007 • 744 Posts

yes. uniquely worth it. definitely a keep.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
Heck yes game was amazing
Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts
my GOTY, i can say pretty easily from now cause its damn near impossible to top it in my book. the game just gives you an experiences that you just don't get with any other game. its a must have title for every ps3 owner if you ask me, this game totally reminded me why i should thank my lucky stars i have a ps3. at the very least you should try the demo out on the ps3. though i have to say the demo has to remain spoiler free so it really doesn't do the game justice. and i can't really tell you why the games so frakkin awesome without spoiling a few things.
Lantern-Cusp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Lantern-Cusp
Member since 2009 • 739 Posts

i was hesitant at first, but now after beating it all i can say is wow! definitely a must buy, just as certain movies are must buys.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Games that are this intense and thrilling deserve your money. Yeah it's short, but there are multiple ways of completing the game. It's become my favorite PS3 game by far.

Eneru112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eneru112
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Nope.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
If you're not that interested then just rent it. I personally bought it, and just finished my second run through of the game, but I was always pretty interested in it already. It's definitely a game that needs to be played at least once.
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I rented it, and its well worth it. Tonnes of replay valueand tonnes of plot developments depending on your actions

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

JAM1313
The actual game is very fun, different and intense. Since I've been playing it there doesn't seem to be a dull moment in the game at all. The demo doesn't do this game justice at all..once you think things are dialing down..they pick up fast and absolutely shocks you. I think those that are passive about this game just have not played enough to see how the developers keep grabbing you in over and over again. by far one of my favorite games in a long time.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

It was wroth buying for myself.

Not many games can hold my breath in anticipation, excitement and emotions from beginning to the end - Heavy Rain did. I wish this becomes future of video gaming. Definitively a step in right direction.

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

It has little replay value. Only to play through to try different scenarios.

iamshivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iamshivy
Member since 2007 • 3565 Posts

i still think itsgonna be one of the best games of the year but err, still worth a rent(or untill it gets a price drop), once you beat it.. thats pretty much it. yeah you can go back and see the different out comes, but still

JordanKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JordanKid
Member since 2005 • 1231 Posts
I love the game, I found it incredible, I'd deffinately buy it.
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

While I'm happy that a PS3 exclusive is so successful, I can't justify dropping $60 on a movie, even an interactive one. I want more game for my buck, and Heavy Rain just doesn't offer that. Now, since it is very popular it'll no doubt hit greatest hits at some point, and I'll happily pick it up for $30 :P

gashead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gashead101
Member since 2005 • 1130 Posts

I personally think it's worth buying for that first play through but if you have no desire to play it again to see any changes, then rent it or if you feel you do need to buy it; try and save yourself some money and get it on ebay like I did.

It is a fantastic game but really think about it before buying.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

While I'm happy that a PS3 exclusive is so successful, I can't justify dropping $60 on a movie, even an interactive one. I want more game for my buck, and Heavy Rain just doesn't offer that. Now, since it is very popular it'll no doubt hit greatest hits at some point, and I'll happily pick it up for $30 :P

Khadaj32
I'm sorry, but you have no idea if it "doesn't offer" that if you haven't even played it.
GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

I found it to be quite worth the $60 price tag. Most games don't have a memorable story this game had an AMAZING story.

GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

Khadaj32
It won't be a greatest hits title because of people like yourself. This game is PURE art. You're buying art. Not a video game. Think of it that way. Even if it were just a movie, if I knew it was going to be this engaging and this well presented I would've paid $60 for it on blu-ray anyways.
equj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 equj
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Heavy Rain is an amazing experience. I will return to it in a couple of weeks and will continue to play it until i have explored most of the story. It does lack some polish. Just a thought, it may end up being one of those games people look back on as really introducing a new type of 'game'. Buy it if you enjoy an engaging, mature storyline with some awesome sunnies.
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#46 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts
I think its one of the best games on the PS3, I dont regret buying it one bit. I cant believe how many people here seemed to be underwhelmed by it. Everyone should know what to expect with the game, did anyone here expect unlockables or multiplayer? It's a story intense game, there is no replay value unless you fell in love with the story. I totally did. I reviewed the game a solid 10. First PS3 game I played I felt this good about, even more so than FFXIII.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

JAM1313

I bought the game and I feel like it is well worth the price. I love it. But this game isn't going to be for everyone simlpy because of how unique it is. If you don't think the game is for you, based on the demo, then just rent it.

Every PS3 owners owes it to themselves to at least PLAY this game one way or another.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

The director of the game said not to replay it... However, I bought the game and just finished it today... and I want to replay it!!! The game has many different endings, and I like all the characters so I want to see what all the endings are.MethodManFTW

I agree, I haven't beat it year but I also plan on replaying it. I also see it as the type of game I will probably keep coming back to over the years to replay and relive the experience.

However, technically the director of the game did NOT say people shouldn't replay it. What he said is that replaying it to see all the endings and outcomes will ruin the feeling of having an individually catered experience for each person.

CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CZVA
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

this game is great but i spent $65 on it and will probably never touch it again.

ProjectTrinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ProjectTrinity
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
I regret buying it. SHould have been a rent.edthetinker
YOU bought it? Anyways, if you can replay Metal Gear Solid 4, or Killzone, or any short game, then there's no reason for you to worry about Heavy Rain's reply value. As someone who has only replayed SotC, Persona 4, Persona 3, and MGS2, I naturally didn't replay Heavy Rain. :P