Is Call Of Duty making anyones system SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gage_Creed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gage_Creed
Member since 2006 • 267 Posts

Ok.....My friend is having issues with his PS3, and It's kinds wierd. For some reason, whenever he plays COD4, at random times it will COMPLETELY shut down his PS3. It doesnt just put it on StandBy mode....it completely shuts it down, red led light and all. We dont think its his system, because he watches Blu Rays and plays Rainbow 6 all the time and not once has it ever happened. Only with COD4. Does anybody know anything about this??

getbent57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 getbent57
Member since 2004 • 236 Posts
No, I havn't had any problems.
lpfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lpfan91
Member since 2006 • 118 Posts
holy crap is all i can say.
Blitz_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blitz_Nemesis
Member since 2005 • 8042 Posts
well the only way the red ligh could turn off is if you shut it from the back, so........?
peralta775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 peralta775
Member since 2005 • 151 Posts
COD4 gave your system herpes
rocket1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 rocket1010
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts
COD4 gave your system herpesperalta775
lol never heard of it happenin b4. i got it and its a beautiful game, don't get rid of it. call sony with the problem though, they could probably help ya out.
dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

this is a power problem not a game problem

you really need to call sony on this one

there is no way a game could shut the system all the way down like that

maybe put it in standby mode but not completely off

LtColJaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LtColJaxson
Member since 2005 • 3233 Posts

dstryr13

What he said, it is a power problem.

First try plugging it into a different outlet in your friends house. If it still happens, try a different power cord (many PC monitors and sometimes computers use the same type of power cord as the PS3).

If it still occurs, call Sony. There is something wrong with the system. Games cannot shut off the system completely.

rocket1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rocket1010
[QUOTE="dstryr13"]

LtColJaxson

What he said, it is a power problem.

First try plugging it into a different outlet in your friends house. If it still happens, try a different power cord (many PC monitors and sometimes computers use the same type of power cord as the PS3).

If it still occurs, call Sony. There is something wrong with the system. Games cannot shut off the system completely.

do you have a pet cat... i ask this because my cat likes to chew power cables. the ps3 may be hauling to much power through there and it trips a circuit breaker???? idk just thinkin out loud. but call sony they may be ur only hope if its still under warranty

JAMES_L_BROOKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JAMES_L_BROOKS
Member since 2005 • 1463 Posts

Ok.....My friend is having issues with his PS3, and It's kinds wierd. For some reason, whenever he plays COD4, at random times it will COMPLETELY shut down his PS3. It doesnt just put it on StandBy mode....it completely shuts it down, red led light and all. We dont think its his system, because he watches Blu Rays and plays Rainbow 6 all the time and not once has it ever happened. Only with COD4. Does anybody know anything about this??

Gage_Creed

i havent had a problem so far, but thats weird because for call of duty 3 some many months back my friends PS3 was doing that same thing and he was fien wiht everything else...lol must be a problem wiht the call of duty franchise haha

rocket1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rocket1010
[QUOTE="Gage_Creed"]

JAMES_L_BROOKS

i havent had a problem so far, but thats weird because for call of duty 3 some many months back my friends PS3 was doing that same thing and he was fien wiht everything else...lol must be a problem wiht the call of duty franchise haha

If any franchise would have these kinds of problems it would be Incognito due to there huge glitch machine they call Warhawk lol sry 2 get off topic

rossboss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rossboss25
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
no have the game and played it for at leats 3 hours and no problems.thats really wierd
jth182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jth182
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
[QUOTE="Gage_Creed"]

JAMES_L_BROOKS

My friend had the same problem with CoD3 too, but not with any other game. He could play RB6 or NCAA 08 for hours... What could be causing this? I really want to play him online, but he can't play the game for more than 5 minutes.
Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
Never had this problem, CoD4 runs very well and smooth for me.
king98027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 king98027
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

YES!!! Finally, there is someone else who is having the same issue as me. First of all, I have the 60gb model. I recently just got the ps3, however, it is out of best buy's 30 day policy.

When I first bought this game and played it, I was able to play single player with no problems. Then I tried playing online and it worked for like 1-2 minutes of game play while online. Then it shuts down the ps3 to where it shows no red, blue, or green lights to show any power indication. You have to go to the back of the ps3 and flip the switch off, then back on. It kept happening everytime.

I then called up Sony in order to resolve the issue. I read a couple of forums that people were having problems very similiar, and they would return the ps3 to sony and it would be a 4 day turn around time. I thought I would go ahead and listen to the technical advice from these level 1 guys. they first told me to reset default settings of the ps3. Did it, and did not work. They then told me to try and do a full system restore that was a 4 hour process. After doing this, i tried playing the game, and it allowed me to play the game for 20 minutes. I then exited the game and went to the ps3 menu, and back into the game. Once again, I am back to where I was.

Also, just for reference, my PS3 is able to play bd/dvd movies with no problems, as well as every other game i own/downloaded. I did notiice, however, that in one game I had the same issue only once. This was for the game, Toy Home. For this game though, it was not during gameplay, but during the initial load up of the game.

I know that there has been issues of overheating with others. My Ps3 is not shutting down due to heating issues, unless there is some kind of under powering, which can cause over heating in some components.

At this point, I am thinking it is one of the 3 things:

The power cable (as one of you suggested)
The game itself ( I will see if I can get my hands on another ps3 to see if it does the same thing)
The console

Any other suggestions will be very helpful. I am trying my hardest to avoid sending in the PS3, considering that there may be a sluggish return late due to holidays.

Anoch20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Anoch20
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
CoD4 gave your PS3 MRSA
Gage_Creed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gage_Creed
Member since 2006 • 267 Posts

YES!!! Finally, there is someone else who is having the same issue as me. First of all, I have the 60gb model. I recently just got the ps3, however, it is out of best buy's 30 day policy.

When I first bought this game and played it, I was able to play single player with no problems. Then I tried playing online and it worked for like 1-2 minutes of game play while online. Then it shuts down the ps3 to where it shows no red, blue, or green lights to show any power indication. You have to go to the back of the ps3 and flip the switch off, then back on. It kept happening everytime.

I then called up Sony in order to resolve the issue. I read a couple of forums that people were having problems very similiar, and they would return the ps3 to sony and it would be a 4 day turn around time. I thought I would go ahead and listen to the technical advice from these level 1 guys. they first told me to reset default settings of the ps3. Did it, and did not work. They then told me to try and do a full system restore that was a 4 hour process. After doing this, i tried playing the game, and it allowed me to play the game for 20 minutes. I then exited the game and went to the ps3 menu, and back into the game. Once again, I am back to where I was.

Also, just for reference, my PS3 is able to play bd/dvd movies with no problems, as well as every other game i own/downloaded. I did notiice, however, that in one game I had the same issue only once. This was for the game, Toy Home. For this game though, it was not during gameplay, but during the initial load up of the game.

I know that there has been issues of overheating with others. My Ps3 is not shutting down due to heating issues, unless there is some kind of under powering, which can cause over heating in some components.

At this point, I am thinking it is one of the 3 things:

The power cable (as one of you suggested)
The game itself ( I will see if I can get my hands on another ps3 to see if it does the same thing)
The console

Any other suggestions will be very helpful. I am trying my hardest to avoid sending in the PS3, considering that there may be a sluggish return late due to holidays.

king98027

Yup.....EXACT same trhing with my friend. Butr you better be careful dude.....now his PS3 doesnt turn on at ALL . And it still has Cod4 IN the machine

king98027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 king98027

Ok, so I tried a new power cable, still no luck. Sony is sending me a box and a prepaid shipping label. They said turn around time will be between 10-15 business days for me to get it back. They said the closer you live to Texas, the faster the transaction will be. I haven't tried using the game on another console, so I will try that later on.

As far as the game being locked in the system, they said they will be able to take it out for him.

GCo9782

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GCo9782
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

IYou can add another to the list of victims...

I was playing COD4 online this weekend when all of a sudden my PS3 turned off and wouldn't turn back on.

king98027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 king98027
Welcome to the group! I actually just left a message in the Activision support section. They will give me some kind of answer by tomorrow, so we will see what they have to say. I also lended my game to one of my friends, as they will test it out to see if it is for sure, the game or the system. We shall see....
king98027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 king98027

Welcome to the group! I actually just left a message in the Activision support section. They will give me some kind of answer by tomorrow, so we will see what they have to say. I also lended my game to one of my friends, as they will test it out to see if it is for sure, the game or the system. We shall see....king98027

Here is the response from Activision

"

We enjoy hearing from our customers.

I have seen this issue a few times before. Every time it has proven to
be some malfunction in the system hardware. You can test this to be
sure by trying the disk out on another console. I would then call the
manufacturer (number should be in your consoles manual) and ask them for
help resolving this system issue. Let them know that the game plays on
other PS3's just fine - that will show them that this cannot be"
anything other than a console malfunction.

stickstick86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stickstick86
Member since 2007 • 751 Posts
you should call sony
jay_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 jay_rock_
Member since 2003 • 1720 Posts

Yeah I playedA CREED and my game froze on me the frist time but it was not my system it was the game itself I took it back and got warhawk!!!!!!!

squall2383

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 squall2383
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I had the same problem. Call of Duty 4 killed my system. Sent it off to Sony with the game still stuck inside, should be getting it back in a week or so now since they just shipped mine back to me. Sucks though, since the game was fun, but now I'm weary to even try and play it again that it might do the same thing and don't want to have to deal with another exchange.
Akush47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Akush47
Member since 2005 • 1611 Posts

Gage_Creed

hmm... i know ! feed it some beer =D

megadeth78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 megadeth78
Member since 2005 • 2676 Posts
Now I'm worried about buying a Ps3. :(
just_blind_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 just_blind_21
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

im there EXACTLY with king up there. same thing happened to me (no red light or nothin). i called in sony and theyre sending me a box to put my ps3 in and they are gonna exchange it. im kinda bummed out about it! well i actually happen to live here in texas so how long do u think itll take?

First it happened to me in cod4, then it started happening in resistance during load up. then it started happening on the XMB bar area. *My ps3 is out in the open, so its not a heat problem* I also sent a message to activision but noresponse yet.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Yes, this exact same thing happened to my nephews PS3 on Christmas morning. He put the brand new COD4 disc in the ps3, started the update, then suddenly the ps3 shut off and has not turned on since...the disc is still stuck inside.

'''' im really glad to hear others are having the same problem. I was going crazy over this. This has to be more than a coincidence with COD4. Can we sticky this thread?

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts
The only weird thing COD4 did to me. Was it spead up one time.

YEA NO BS. The game speed up like it was in Fast Forward. And no frame drop. Oddest glitch I have ever seen. I thought I was flipping. Was kinda cool actually. But it never did it after the update.

Dirty3rdTex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dirty3rdTex
Member since 2007 • 635 Posts
well my problem is similiar(had my system since jan07 btw), but it only restarts not completely shuts down. but since the first time its happened(with cod4 as well),its been doin screwy crap and it has also been runnin louder than normal.im callin sony tomorrow before my one year warranty is up.
truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

well my problem is similiar(had my system since jan07 btw), but it only restarts not completely shuts down. but since the first time its happened(with cod4 as well),its been doin screwy crap and it has also been runnin louder than normal.im callin sony tomorrow before my one year warranty is up.Dirty3rdTex

I had a 60GB, which My one nephew has. And I have a 80, Lucky my 80 is awhile to a year. Because we want to test the Cod4 online thing out some. Only way your gonna really dig that disc apart, is to open the files up one at a time. Problem is you need a BR driver on PC to do it. Like I said before, im starting to wounder about how that game runs.

Need to contact Sony on that specific game.

Input Lag LOL :P the movie do out in 08 sometime. EA maybe IW??? Who esle? Will see :)

Fitipali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fitipali
Member since 2003 • 424 Posts

oh man this is really scary stuff, because obviously we don´t really know exactly what´s happening

i just hope Sony says something like ´´ issues with the issues will be fixed with the next firmware update´´ and then they will give us all a KZ2 demo :] and our PS3s will be like inmortalgods

njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts
the same thing happened to me with cod4 it killed the system and i had to send it in i think its the hardware cuz my last ps3 would run like a power horse and i could hear a ringing when it was on but sony sent me a new 60 gig and it works just fine i play cod4 all the time now so i think its your ps3 sorry
Roman_Irishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Roman_Irishman
Member since 2007 • 29493 Posts
No my system isn't shutting down but my friend and I were just trying to get some multiplayer going and could find anyone to join. This happened like 3 times in a row.
rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rahul_batta
Member since 2004 • 1363 Posts
Umm that doesnt sound very good, i dont get that problem btw...
just_blind_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 just_blind_21
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

This is a warning for everyone!!! if ur having that problem, dont do wat i did!!!

I kept on restarting it every time it happened, just to see if it would (by some miracle) work again. It didnt. It just crashed and wont restart again. I cant turn it on or nothin. Good thing im getting a new one!!! hope it works tho! And please someone sticky this!

tbonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tbonne
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, except my system will not even power back up. It is completly dead. I was playing COD4 online for the first time, for about 1 1/2 hours, myself and 3 others, I made a private room and invited them. One of the other guys was complaining that his game was acting a little funny and it finally got to the point where he was going to logoff and restart his system. When he logged off, we all got kicked off. I got kicked to the sony main menu where I had to click on the COD4 to start, when I did this, my screen went blank and the PS3 shutdown. I turned the switch off and waited a little while, then tried strating it again, nothing. I tried several different outlets, still nothing. I have been playing other games online and never had a problem. The game is awesome, but I am hearing people say that the game could not cause this or it is the PS3. Either way, it really happend and I have been checking the internet, we are not the only ones. I am sending my PS3 to Sony, so I will let you know what happens. Thanks.
Avatar image for Darth_Vader2000
Darth_Vader2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darth_Vader2000
The same thing happened with my 60g PS3 six months ago! The game started to shut down the system, after approximately six times, it killed the system (do not turn on anymore). I have six more games and I have been playing them since I bought the PS3, similar issue have never happened with the other games! Now I have a 40 Gb PS3 and I wonder if the problem was with the console or the game. Anyway... until I do not know what was the root cause, I am afraid to try to play Call of Duty again in my new 40G PS3.
SATYRFROZT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SATYRFROZT
HELL YES I WAS PLAYING LAST NIGHT AND ONE DUDE GOT MAD BECAUSE HE WAS BRAGGING ABOUT HIS CLAN AND WHATEVER, SO HE GOT PISSED BECAUSE I BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF HIM AND HE TOLD ME IM GONNA MESS UP YOUR PS3 AND I WAS LIKE WHATEVER DUDE AND BAM 1 MINUTE LATER SHUTS DOWN AND I TRY TO TURN IT ON AND IT SHUTS DOWN AGAIN HE F*****D ME UP HE PUT A VIRUS OR SOMETHING....
cagivaelefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cagivaelefant
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts
So you reckon 100% it is people, sending viruses to all the posters in this thread SATYRFROZT ?.Where were these people from ?.
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts
never had that happen but every now and then it freezes when playing cod and thats the only game or dvd or blu ray that happens too
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
Same thing happened to my nephew last Christmas. I was down in Florida for vacation and i bought him COD4 for a Xmas present. He put the disc in the PS3 and proceeded to update the game...then bingo the PS3 shut off and never came back on. To this day the PS3 sits in his closet because his mother is too lazy to do anything about it. What a waste.
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
Did u actually see this happen or is it what he says? Maybe he just doesnt want to play. Anyways never had this prob and i play tons and tons of it.
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts

im there EXACTLY with king up there. same thing happened to me (no red light or nothin). i called in sony and theyre sending me a box to put my ps3 in and they are gonna exchange it. im kinda bummed out about it! well i actually happen to live here in texas so how long do u think itll take?

First it happened to me in cod4, then it started happening in resistance during load up. then it started happening on the XMB bar area. *My ps3 is out in the open, so its not a heat problem* I also sent a message to activision but noresponse yet.

just_blind_21

Who knows wit Ike coming down upon u.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
wow i never thought a problem like this would exist
nephew62001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nephew62001
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
my experience is very weird, when i play hardcore search n destroy and when i score at least 700 up i magically vanish and voila im in my XMB... Never experienced complete shut off though, Freakin' problem just kept tossin' me on my XMB really weird and here's the catch, when Im having a Sucky game this doesn't happen at all LOL
zheim2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 zheim2003
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

Mine will randomly freeze when I am playing online. It doesnt shut it all the way down just freezes. So you are not the only one with COD4 PS3 problems. I can play any other game all I want with no problems. It is just COD4 that give me trouble.

PSN: Zizaner

elrojo33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 elrojo33
I have had my 60GB console since the first price drop on the unit (quite some time ago now). I have played many games for many, many hours since then with no memorable issues (other than getting destroyed online most of the time). Approximately 6 weeks ago I came across a copy of COD3 (not 4) that was on sale. I have played COD4 bug free without ever expeirencing the problem, BUT, COD3 shut my system down. The console shut down completely, no red light, just OFF. I was able to turn it back on and decided to play a different game, that was about 2 weeks ago. I have had no problems since then until this evening. Tonight it shut my machine down twice and now it will not turn back on. I didn't even get into the game, just to the menu screen. Clearly this is not just coincidental. What can I do now? My PS3 is almost assuradley out of warranty by now. This is one of those issues that Treyarch/Activision will blame on Sony and Sony will blame on Treyarch/Activision and I will have to pay for... There will be no justice for me, BUT, in my opinion, this is cleary a game developers/publishers issue. Perhaps it's the game engine they are using, maybe it is a compatability or engineering issue with the older 60GB unit. Regardless, the consumer ends up shafted by the industry again.