I'm thinking about purchasing a PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AmarTheBosnian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AmarTheBosnian
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

And I was wondering what were some of the pro's and con's of the system. I wanted to get a console around $300 or under and the only ones I could find were the PS3 slims which I heard are not backwards compatible with PS2 games. I was wondering if someone could give me some info on the PS3 and which one to buy. I sold nearly all my 360 games and decided to buy a PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

And I was wondering what were some of the pro's and con's of the system. I wanted to get a console around $300 or under and the only ones I could find were the PS3 slims which I heard are not backwards compatible with PS2 games. I was wondering if someone could give me some info on the PS3 and which one to buy. I sold nearly all my 360 games and decided to buy a PS3.

AmarTheBosnian

Well, I can tell you that it doesn't have the type of community the Xbox 360 has. That's good in some regards, but it feels empty whenever I load it up. XBL is nothing like that.

The PS3 is a great system, just make sure you get one of the slims. I have the 250GB one and it's perfect.

nikgamma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nikgamma
Member since 2008 • 392 Posts
Let me start out buy saying that you are making a great decision by buying a ps3. Pros- Good selection of games, free PlayStation network which IMO is better than live, good graphics, blu ray, 125 or 250 gb hardrive, low failure rate compared to xbox 360, internet brower, and much more. Cons- no out of game chat but we are getting it soon, not all games have trophie but most of them do, cant think of anymore.
jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 jiggaloj
Member since 2006 • 4345 Posts

I have the 250GB slim and it's perfect. You're in luck because there are a LOT of great low priced games laying around now. I just picked up The Orange Box for $20.00 yesterday!

AmarTheBosnian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AmarTheBosnian

Yeah, the reason for the change is because my Xbox just Red Ringed on me, and I've been doing the towel trick, but it seems to have failed and my warranty expired. I'm not about to shell out $100 for repairs or $200 for a new console which will break, along with $50 a year for online play that I'll never use. Microsoft is a huge cash cow and I'm just tired of paying large amounts of money for things I'll probably never use.

Is the PS3 slim a good buy? I mean the extra space is nice, but I'm kinda upset about the lack of backwards compatability.

jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jiggaloj

Yeah, the reason for the change is because my Xbox just Red Ringed on me, and I've been doing the towel trick, but it seems to have failed and my warranty expired. I'm not about to shell out $100 for repairs or $200 for a new console which will break, along with $50 a year for online play that I'll never use. Microsoft is a huge cash cow and I'm just tired of paying large amounts of money for things I'll probably never use.

Is the PS3 slim a good buy? I mean the extra space is nice, but I'm kinda upset about the lack of backwards compatability.

AmarTheBosnian

The failure rates on the 360's are precisely why I didn't blink when I had to choose between PS3 and XBOX360.

AmarTheBosnian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmarTheBosnian

The 360's an amazing system, and I've always wanted to get a PS3 along with a 360, but after constantly having to deal with RROD and paying for online play and for little things like Gamer pictures, I figured enough was enough.

Neosword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#8 Neosword
Member since 2003 • 5112 Posts
I basically bought mine because it came with a blu-ray player. As a console, removing online play from the equation, the PS3 is a fantastic system all around, especially since it doesn't have the reliability issues that the 360 has.
FreshTillDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FreshTillDeath
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

If you have a HD TV the blu ray capabilities is worth the extra. Plus the exclusives are stronger in my opinion (Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy XIV etc.).

GamingKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GamingKidX
Member since 2010 • 329 Posts

Trust me, You'll be glad if you purchase it sooner then later. Free online capabilities, Fantastic graphics, and some of the best exclusives around (Heavy Rain, FF13, MAG, etc.)

SomeGuyInLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SomeGuyInLA
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

The 360's an amazing system, and I've always wanted to get a PS3 along with a 360, but after constantly having to deal with RROD and paying for online play and for little things like Gamer pictures, I figured enough was enough.

AmarTheBosnian

I was having the same problems as you, my first 2 xbox's failed on me and the third one I got kept scratching my games. So before my third one got RROD I traded it in with all my games and bought a ps3, one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Pros

-Blu ray

-Bluetooth

-Wifi

-Better exclusives imo

-More reliable

-Free PSN

-Web browser

-Comes with 120gb or 250gb

-Almost any 2.5" laptop hard drive(up to 500gb)will work and they aren't overpriced like M$ hdds/accessories

Cons

-Online community isn't as big as XBL

-Less people with mics

-Longer loading times

-Multiplats are usually inferior (slightly)

-No cross game chat

-No backwards compatibility, unless you get a launch model (I got a ps2, since alot of the launch models get YLOD)

jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jiggaloj

Trust me, You'll be glad if you purchase it sooner then later. Free online capabilities, Fantastic graphics, and some of the best exclusives around (Heavy Rain, FF13, MAG, etc.)

GamingKidX

FF13 isn't an exclusive.

doesntcare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 doesntcare
Member since 2007 • 1219 Posts

Ok whats so groovy about cross game chat? I would rather talk stragedy with my team mates than to some playing an entirely different game

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

My original 360 Elite never got a RROD for the two plus years I had it.

Then I had to get a new one since it was stolen at the airport.

Parablank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Parablank
Pros: Bluray Better exclusives More variety of games (not just shooters) Low failure rates Free online Web browser Wi-Fi built in Less screaming 9 year olds insulting your mom Cons: Inferior exclusives
Avatar image for SalvationGift31
SalvationGift31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SalvationGift31
Member since 2010 • 277 Posts
It's a good system. If you like the look of the exclusives, go for it. =)
SomeGuyInLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SomeGuyInLA
Member since 2009 • 522 Posts

Ok whats so groovy about cross game chat? I would rather talk stragedy with my team mates than to some playing an entirely different game

doesntcare

I've been wondering the same thing, but for some reason a lot of people want it. I've never wanted to chat with someone thats playing a different game, what would you talk about?

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts

AmarTheBosnian
It's fine. I officially came to accept the lack of PS2 BC, as long as I have my PSX BC it's fine. ALso so many incredible exclusives. The PS3 is on a role with like 6 or 7 AAAE last yeast year. And of course they are all incredible. Make sure you get MGS4 and Uncharted 2.
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts

GamingKidX
Those games haven't even been released yet....
CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts

[QUOTE="doesntcare"]

SomeGuyInLA

I've been wondering the same thing, but for some reason a lot of people want it. I've never wanted to chat with someone thats playing a different game, what would you talk about?

It's basically a 8 man phone call with your pals. How is that not fun for your? You hook up your headset, play any damn game, and have a network of 7 buddies hangin out and chatting while they do whatever, also easy as hell to connect to someone'sonline game once in part chat. But I agree it's the only game changer when it comes to PSN vs XBL Gold. So the question is.... Would you be willing to pay $50 a year for that crap? so yeah no that's the problem behind the debate and that's not fanboyish.
darkhart7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkhart7
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

As an ex 360 owner I got a 120gig Slim because I wanted free online and MLB 09 The Show believe it or not. I was dying for a good baseball game and the 360 didnt offer, I saw videos of The Show and was blown away. Now I cant put the game down for the most part lol.

It seems as if I made a good decision because there are some great games coming for the PS3 and while it may be regarded that the 360 has more games, I like the PS3's games better. I also like the XMB over 360's setup, tis a lil cartoony.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

AmarTheBosnian

Let me put it this way: if you want to be able to play PS2 games, either buy a new PS2 system for around 100 dollars or buy a used one. Their dirt cheap nowdays. If you really have to have backwards compatability, you can find used PS3's which are backwards compatible. Just be sure of what you're buying before you make the purchase.

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

[QUOTE="AmarTheBosnian"]

SomeGuyInLA

I was having the same problems as you, my first 2 xbox's failed on me and the third one I got kept scratching my games. So before my third one got RROD I traded it in with all my games and bought a ps3, one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Pros

-Blu ray

-Bluetooth

-Wifi

-Better exclusives imo

-More reliable

-Free PSN

-Web browser

-Comes with 120gb or 250gb

-Almost any 2.5" laptop hard drive(up to 500gb)will work and they aren't overpriced like M$ hdds/accessories

Cons

-Online community isn't as big as XBL

-Less people with mics

-Longer loading times

-Multiplats are usually inferior (slightly)

-No cross game chat

-No backwards compatibility, unless you get a launch model (I got a ps2, since alot of the launch models get YLOD)

I pretty much agree except for the longer load times. The initial load may be longer but there are far fewer interuptions during play. Forza 3 seems to take as long to load the race as it does to finish the race. Mass Effect 2 is good but the frequency of the loading screen made me appriciate my PS3 even more.

Pros I'd add

Region Free Games

One heck of a media center, and I don't have to be connected to the internet to watch avi files (thats what you get when you have your 360 repaired).

Controllers hold charge noticably longer than the controller for my other console.