I'm shouting: Where's all the RPG's?!

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Ok already what's going on here? It's not just the PS3 suffering an almost complete lack of RPG's, it's all systems.

It's starting to get annoying. RPGs are the main reason I game, and I don't own a single one this gen. Unless you consider FallOut3 an RPG. Well, actually I have one but it blows pretty bad: Chocobo's Dungeon (Wii).

I keep looking at release lists for all systems and don't really see anything outside the handhelds.

Are there any RPG'ers here who feel as starved as I do for some RPG action? Let's start shouting!

dale_brah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dale_brah
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Ok already what's going on here? It's not just the PS3 suffering an almost complete lack of RPG's, it's all systems.

It's starting to get annoying. RPGs are the main reason I game, and I don't own a single one this gen. Unless you consider FallOut3 an RPG. Well, actually I have one but it blows pretty bad: Chocobo's Dungeon (Wii).

I keep looking at release lists for all systems and don't really see anything outside the handhelds.

Are there any RPG'ers here who feel as starved as I do for some RPG action? Let's start shouting!

Conjuration
what is acctualy a Rpg,i prob kno what it is just cant think of it.
Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3349 Posts

hiding under ps2 and psx.

NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts

Check out Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles also Tales of Vesperia is coming to the PS3 soon and dont worry i think more RPG's will be coming out soon

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Conjuration

what is acctualy a Rpg,i prob kno what it is just cant think of it.dale_brah

It's difficult to define. I'm not taking the words "role-playing game" and over analyzing it like most net nerds like to. I'm taking it back to its original meaning: A turn-based (or action) adventure game where you explore new worlds and gain exp to upgrade your character while collecting and possibly creating new and exciting forms of weapons and armor, and magic as well.

dale_brah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dale_brah
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
So something like ratchet and clank or harry potter games?
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

RPGs needs FF franchise to open the gate for the system.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#8 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

If you are complaining about lack of RPGs and own a PS3 and haven't checked out Valkyria Chronicles, then you're doing something wrong. And for 30$ new at Gamestop?

But yes, I'm also personally waiting for White Knight Chronicles and Final Fantasy XIII.

CAPGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CAPGOD
Member since 2009 • 237 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles is a good one, Disgaea 3 is decent, there are also plenty of 360 JRPGs if you own the console (and some are even coming to PS3 such as Tales of Vesperia). White Knight Chronicles has gotten a positive fan reaction in Japan and it should be coming to the west this year or next. Plus of course FFXIII, Versus XIII and the new Tri-Ace RPG in the future.
Spengoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spengoz
Member since 2009 • 646 Posts

Plenty of RPG's out this year I think. Aren't Sony Online working on a load of MMO's too? Plus NC-Soft are working on a few exclusives also I think.

PureDante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PureDante
Member since 2007 • 925 Posts
If you're patient, all of the above posts answer you. If you're not, upgrade your pc and theres plenty of unknown games that are really great (Im playing The Witcher right now, it's great.)
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts

Eternal Sonata is worth the time and the money. Be patient there are some, hopefully, good RPGs on the horizon.

plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts

The problem is, a lot are out, but most of them won't even see the light outside of japan

- Demon's souls
-cross edge (coming in NA)
- Atelier Rorona
- Uncharted Waters Online

That's just some, I have videos of some others on my ps3 (I went to fetch them on japan PSN)

Not like we won't get any rpg in the future though, but we miss some that seems to be very good (still on the fence about importing Demon's souls)

reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts

Conjuration
i no how you feel bud i really do. The RPG's unfortunately sided with the 360 this gen. They have quite a few that are really good like tales of vesperia, Star ocean TLH and Lost odyssey. However we are starting too see rpg's slowly come to PS3. Tales of vesperia was just announced for PS3 and also they had some good RPG's comming out this year like Cross Edge and White knight chronicles. So what im trying to say is have some patience they will come, if your that desperate like i was you can just save up for 360 and play the games there.
daveydag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 daveydag
Member since 2004 • 403 Posts
there is a fair few RPGs out for the ps3, (not millions but about 5 :P) i personally own folklore, oblivion, fallout 3, eternal sonata, enchanted arms and valkyria chronicles, dark kingdom and marvel ultimate alliance (sorta rpgs). all these have some RPG elements or wat i would class under the umbrella that is RPG. i have enjoy all apart from dark kingdom which is ok for hack and slash, but pretty boring tbh. if u have only really tried fallout 3 there is lots out there still for you.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#17 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Oh, two new RPGs coming to the PS3 at some time you should also keep an eye on are :

Dragon Age : Origins and Blade and Soul (I think that's the name, it's made by NCSoft, the guys who did guild wars). Add that to upcoming games like White Knight and Final Fantasy, you have a decent selection of RPGs in the future.

pooyanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 pooyanh
Member since 2005 • 937 Posts
If you're looking for RPGs, go with PSP, DS, PS2, PS1. The main reason I haven't bought a PS3 yet is the lack of RPGs actually.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
I have to agree with TC on this case. The only RPG so far that has really interested me was Fallout 3. While that game was absolutely amazing and very deep, I would like more RPGs. Thankfully, Tales of Vesperia is coming to the PS3 and I have yet to play Valkyria Chronicles. But Valkyria Chronicles doesn't really seem like the type of RPG I would like.
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Conjuration

If you're saying this without having played Valkyria Chronicles then shut the hell up, go out and do so. It's the best RPG out for the PS3 in my humble opinion. People always make these sorts of complaints without checking out what RPGs are available on the system first. If that's still not enough, check out Oblivion, Folklore, Eternal Sonata and Disgaea 3 as well. Silent-Hal

Don't ever tell me to shut the hell up. I've played the demo for that game and didn't enjoy it.
And the other titles you mentioned are weak. WEAK. And that includes the massively overrated Oblivion. It's all meh. I want something that doesn't suck.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Like the others said, Tales of Vesperia is coming to PS3 which excites me greatly. I also imagine some of the other jrpg's on 360 will be coming to PS3 eventually when the devs realize that the system doesn't move those games as much as PS3 because there are minimal 360 sales in Japan. Be patient. However, if you want a traditional turn-based one like in the SNES or PS1 days, you will probably be a bit dissappointed because it seems like devs are moving away from those and we don't see as many period. FFXIII will be good for you I'm sure and I'm looking forward to that as well. HOpefully Star Ocean 4 makes it to PS3 as well.

And just for the record, I like turn-based, traditional console RPG's as well; but I think Oblivion is a GREAT game. Very addictive and different from what I'm used to playing.

daveydag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 daveydag

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]If you're saying this without having played Valkyria Chronicles then shut the hell up, go out and do so. It's the best RPG out for the PS3 in my humble opinion. People always make these sorts of complaints without checking out what RPGs are available on the system first. If that's still not enough, check out Oblivion, Folklore, Eternal Sonata and Disgaea 3 as well. Conjuration

Don't ever tell me to shut the hell up. I've played the demo for that game and didn't enjoy it.
And the other titles you mentioned are weak. WEAK. And that includes the massively overrated Oblivion. It's all meh. I want something that doesn't suck.

you sir dont seem to actually want a good RPG then. they are all good and not overrated at all. what silent hal listed are some of the best games out there and i really did enjoy them and so it seems have lots of other rpg fans. so maybe try them rather than going " there arent any rgps" boo hoo.

GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 GANGSTASAN
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

Conjuration
Fallout 3 is an RPG, and one heck of a one as well. Some people think that FO is a FPS. I hate them who think so, it's clearly an RPG.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]If you're saying this without having played Valkyria Chronicles then shut the hell up, go out and do so. It's the best RPG out for the PS3 in my humble opinion. People always make these sorts of complaints without checking out what RPGs are available on the system first. If that's still not enough, check out Oblivion, Folklore, Eternal Sonata and Disgaea 3 as well. Conjuration

Oh boo sodding hoo. You're obviously not much of an RPG fan if you think none of those games are worth playing. Why don't you actually try, I don't know, PLAYING the games that are available instead of coming on here being and having a good whinge about it.

daveydag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 daveydag

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]If you're saying this without having played Valkyria Chronicles then shut the hell up, go out and do so. It's the best RPG out for the PS3 in my humble opinion. People always make these sorts of complaints without checking out what RPGs are available on the system first. If that's still not enough, check out Oblivion, Folklore, Eternal Sonata and Disgaea 3 as well. Silent-Hal

Oh boo sodding hoo. You're obviously not an RPG fan if you think none of those games are worth playing. Why don't you actually try, I don't know, PLAYING the games that are available instead of coming on here being and having a good whinge about it.

thats what i said :P but yeah!

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TriangleHard

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]If you're saying this without having played Valkyria Chronicles then shut the hell up, go out and do so. It's the best RPG out for the PS3 in my humble opinion. People always make these sorts of complaints without checking out what RPGs are available on the system first. If that's still not enough, check out Oblivion, Folklore, Eternal Sonata and Disgaea 3 as well. Silent-Hal

Oh boo sodding hoo. You're obviously not an RPG fan if you think none of those games are worth playing. Why don't you actually try, I don't know, PLAYING the games that are available instead of coming on here being and having a good whinge about it.

He didn't like the demo, so he didn't get it. Does that make him any less of RPG fan? NO

I'm HUGE JRPG fan, and I got Valkyrie Chronicles. I find it decent and vastly overrated. On PS3, except for Eternal Sonata, I don't see any RPGs that I consider it a must have.

He's entitled to what he likes and dislike. If he is RPG fan and if he can't find an RPG that fits his taste, then obviously the system lacks the games of that genre.

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

middle east , lol jk bt hey there are some ...eternal sonata , Valkyria chronicles and wk , ffxiii and tov on the way

NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts

Then you dont really like RPG's then cause all those RPG's are GREAT

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="Conjuration"]

Oh boo sodding hoo. You're obviously not much of an RPG fan if you think none of those games are worth playing. Why don't you actually try, I don't know, PLAYING the games that are available instead of coming on here being and having a good whinge about it.

Wow, way to think your opinion is the only one that counts.:roll:

Now I'm not the biggest RPG fan but I do really enjoy them, mainly because of the exploration and feeling of progression. Both of those are present in the Final Fantasy series and Fallout 3. For me, that's what is really fun about RPGs. Valkyria Chronicles has NONE of that. That's why I didn't really like the demo nor do I find any interest in the game. It's no secret that the PS3 is extremely weak in the RPG department compared to it's predecessors. Hopefully, Tales of Vesperia and White Knight Chronicles will change that along with Final Fantasy XIII next year.

FireFox67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 FireFox67
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts

Conjuration

you have good RPG's, like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion; Fallout3 (if you consider that game an RPG); Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles :)

Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts
valkyria chronicles is more of an rts then and rpg, yeah its got a few rpg qualities to it but i dont understand why anyone would call it an rpg its a stretch to say the least in my opinion. its a great game non the less
FireFox67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FireFox67

valkyria chronicles is more of an rts then and rpg, yeah its got a few rpg qualities to it but i dont understand why anyone would call it an rpg its a stretch to say the least in my opinion. its a great game non the lessclarkportmanken

still if we exclude valkyria chronicles, there are still good rpg's

I have The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and the game is just amazing, and huge :)

clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clarkportmanken

[QUOTE="clarkportmanken"]valkyria chronicles is more of an rts then and rpg, yeah its got a few rpg qualities to it but i dont understand why anyone would call it an rpg its a stretch to say the least in my opinion. its a great game non the lessFireFox67

yeah i agree though i also agree we could have more i guess us ps2 owners are a bit rpg spoiled now lol. don't know why they haven't brought a persona game to the ps3 yet lol im waiting on that game.
Ronin893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ronin893
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts

It has seemed like it has only been FPS coming out lately. I am crying for one too. I have to go get Valkyria Chronicles.

FireFox67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FireFox67

[QUOTE="FireFox67"]

[QUOTE="clarkportmanken"]valkyria chronicles is more of an rts then and rpg, yeah its got a few rpg qualities to it but i dont understand why anyone would call it an rpg its a stretch to say the least in my opinion. its a great game non the lessclarkportmanken

yeah i agree though i also agree we could have more i guess us ps2 owners are a bit rpg spoiled now lol. don't know why they haven't brought a persona game to the ps3 yet lol im waiting on that game.

got to admit that I'm not a big fan of RPG's, for PS2 I haven't played any RPG, but for PS3, I have played Oblivion and valkyria chronicles, but yeah I agree with you, when you say that there aren't that many RPG in the PS3 system, but the RPG that I have and played are good, so I can't complain :P

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
No there are not tons of RPGs for the PS3 like the PS2 had,but there are some good ones out there and good ones coming out.All you have to do is be abit patient.It is alot better then it use to be about two years ago.
FireFox67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FireFox67

No there are not tons of RPGs for the PS3 like the PS2 had,but there are some good ones out there and good ones coming out.All you have to do is be abit patient.It is alot better then it use to be about two years ago.K1LLR3175

agree, I think it is better to wait and get good games, that have many games, in little timethat are no good

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TriangleHard

No there are not tons of RPGs for the PS3 like the PS2 had,but there are some good ones out there and good ones coming out.All you have to do is be abit patient.It is alot better then it use to be about two years ago.K1LLR3175

Normally, waiting would be easy. JRPG fans are used to waiting.

But this generation, if you bought PS3 expecting similar JRPG flood from PS1 and PS2, then waiting becomes bit more difficult as many JRPGs are showing up on other systems instead. Star Ocean 4 for 360 and Dragon Quest sequels on DS and Wii makes things quite uncomfortable for me to wait without seeing any positive news.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Just because there are not a ton of them doesn't mean they aren't there. The PS3 has quality RPGs and more are coming: Cross Edge, White Knight Chronicles, FFXIII, etc. Plus, PS3 has the best RPG on any of the next-gen systems in Valkyria Chronicles.

The Wii is really the only console lacking RPGs, but even that is starting to get some more with titles like Rune Factory Frontier, Little King's Story, Tales of Graces, and I think Muramasa is kind of an RPG.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 K1LLR3175
This is why you should never buy a console expecting a ton of one genre.As for the Remakes of classics games on the DS.It is alot easier for game devs,money wise,time and effort wise to make a great game on the DS than it is to make it on the PS3.They know that it will sell well anyway.Microsoft has been buying alot of RPGs from game devs like Square Enix and Star Ocean 4 which may or may not come to the PS3.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TriangleHard

Just because there are not a ton of them doesn't mean they aren't there. The PS3 has quality RPGs and more are coming: Cross Edge, White Knight Chronicles, FFXIII, etc. Plus, PS3 has the best RPG on any of the next-gen systems in Valkyria Chronicles.

The Wii is really the only console lacking RPGs, but even that is starting to get some more with titles like Rune Factory Frontier, Little King's Story, Tales of Graces, and I think Muramasa is kind of an RPG.

yokofox33

c'mon you can't be serious.

Cross Edge is a niche game, White Knight Chronicles didn't get a encouraging reception is Japan, and FFXIII is coming out on 360 as well.

And Valkyria Chronicles is turn based strategy game, not really a RPG.

At the moment, only real bright RPG news PS3 has is FF vs XIII.

Wii might not have much RPGs at the moment, but you can bet plenty will follow after Dragon Quest X is released on it. That will secure Japanese RPG fans for the system which will make it comfortable for other companies to develop the games for.

360 is turning it around slowly by securing many high profile JRPGs. They still didn't land any big hitter as exclusive (Star Ocean 4 was semi big) so it's not too impressive at the moment, but once it happens then flood of JRPGs will follow it and Microsoft is certainly showing some good efforts on it.

I want to hear some positive news. Maybe Legend of Dragoon 2 announcement or something. Give me SOMETHING.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

TriangleHard

c'mon you can't be serious.

Cross Edge is a niche game, White Knight Chronicles didn't get a encouraging reception is Japan, and FFXIII is coming out on 360 as well.

And Valkyria Chronicles is turn based strategy game, not really a RPG.

At the moment, only real bright RPG news PS3 has is FF vs XIII.

Wii might not have much RPGs at the moment, but you can bet plenty will follow after Dragon Quest X is released on it. That will secure Japanese RPG fans for the system which will make it comfortable for other companies to develop the games for.

360 is turning it around slowly by securing many high profile JRPGs. They still didn't land any big hitter as exclusive (Star Ocean 4 was semi big) so it's not too impressive at the moment, but once it happens then flood of JRPGs will follow it and Microsoft is certainly showing some good efforts on it.

I want to hear some positive news. Maybe Legend of Dragoon 2 announcement or something. Give me SOMETHING.

I am absolutely serious. Just because it's a niche game doesn't mean Cross Edge won't be a good game. Not every RPG has to be a huge game. White Knight Chronicles will be a big RPG though and a lot of people are excited for it. And so what if FFXIII is coming to the 360 as well? A good RPG is a good RPG whether it's exclusive or multi-plat. Valkyria Chronicles is a strategy game first, but it has RPG elements. I think you want exclusives for the PS3, but I could care less if they are exclusive or not. I want to play the game, not the system. Every RPG out for the PS3 is solid, even if almost all of them are multi-plat. I'm excited for the games to be coming out, so I'm sorry if you're not. Obviously we have different mindsets, which is ok :)

I already mentioned the Wii is on the upturn as well. 360 has solid JRPGs, but nothing special other than Vesperia and even that's coming to the PS3. The 360's "high profile" games are nothing great (The Last Remnant, Blue Dragon, etc.)

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles is an RPG. There is such a thing called sub genres. They are terms under the umbrella of RPG. There are quest RPG's such as Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and the Tales series. Strategy RPG's are games such as Fire Emblem, Front Mission, Disgaea. We still have Cross Edge, White Knight Chronicles, Demon Souls, and a few others. Just because the legendary Famitsu didn't give White Knight the best score ever doesn't mean anything. European and American reviewers have different opinions than that of the Japanese. White Knight is a more Western like than any previous JRPG's. Famitsu gave Tales of Vesperia a perfect 10 and others did not. From what I hear,Star Ocean, is nota must have game and doesn't really seem to be. It just feels like atweak of the 3rd.

clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clarkportmanken

Valkyria Chronicles is an RPG. There is such a thing called sub genres. They are terms under the umbrella of RPG. There are quest RPG's such as Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and the Tales series. Strategy RPG's are games such as Fire Emblem, Front Mission, Disgaea. We still have Cross Edge, White Knight Chronicles, Demon Souls, and a few others. Just because the legendary Famitsu didn't give White Knight the best score ever doesn't mean anything. European and American reviewers have different opinions than that of the Japanese. White Knight is a more Western like than any previous JRPG's. Famitsu gave Tales of Vesperia a perfect 10 and others did not. From what I hear,Star Ocean, is nota must have game and doesn't really seem to be. It just feels like atweak of the 3rd.

gamenerd15
i agree there are sub genre but valkria is more a subgenre of RTS that borrows some things from the RPG genre at least in my opinion it is. i think people are still a bit set back by the fact that this time around the ps3 comes in second place for the number of rpgs. i agree i wouldn't put much cred in what famitsu says and most of the competitors rpgs are JRPG's and if you've played one you played them all. in the regard to western rpg's or actually rpgs that are a bitt different from everything on the market i think ps3 is even with its competitors. looks like they are going for quality over quantity.
chaosmage72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chaosmage72
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

i agree with you completly

sounds like you like Jrpg type of games and not the western rpgs like fallout

people are saying that there are plenty of rpgs that are out there

but what we really need are some really good, blockbuster rpgs like FF or KH and not **** like valkyria chronicles

darkbow285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 darkbow285
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

here here my friend get some rpg's on the systems8)

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
go to finalstar2007's topic, he has a few upcoming rpg scans...
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 K1LLR3175
go to finalstar2007's topic, he has a few upcoming rpg scans...Rakuho
Thats what I did.
Avatar image for deactivated-59506133570df
deactivated-59506133570df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 deactivated-59506133570df
Member since 2007 • 10348 Posts

their are a number of RPGs for PS3 coming this year and next.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TriangleHard

I am absolutely serious. Just because it's a niche game doesn't mean Cross Edge won't be a good game. Not every RPG has to be a huge game. White Knight Chronicles will be a big RPG though and a lot of people are excited for it. And so what if FFXIII is coming to the 360 as well? A good RPG is a good RPG whether it's exclusive or multi-plat. Valkyria Chronicles is a strategy game first, but it has RPG elements. I think you want exclusives for the PS3, but I could care less if they are exclusive or not. I want to play the game, not the system. Every RPG out for the PS3 is solid, even if almost all of them are multi-plat. I'm excited for the games to be coming out, so I'm sorry if you're not. Obviously we have different mindsets, which is ok :)

I already mentioned the Wii is on the upturn as well. 360 has solid JRPGs, but nothing special other than Vesperia and even that's coming to the PS3. The 360's "high profile" games are nothing great (The Last Remnant, Blue Dragon, etc.)

yokofox33

First, the whole point of me mentioning big budget game is because smaller titles tends to follow the big title.

JRPG fans have selective taste, so just randomly throwing JRPG to a system proved to be formula for failures for JRPG developers. Which is why they always wait for Final Fantasy to come out to know for sure that there are 5 million+ JRPG fans having the particular system.

Variety in JRPG is very important to me since i've been burned by the media calling cr@p AAA while true gem getting mediocre rating (the entire Valkyrie Profile for example)

That variety doesn't come unless a company sets a wave of JRPGs to particular system. Final Fantasy is able to do that, but this gen it is less reliable thanks to it going multi-platform. Dragon Quest is the other, which is going to DS and Wii.

and no, Valkyria Chronicles is not a RPG. I see nothing RPG about it. Maybe leveling, but so many games have leveling these days, and we don't call those RPG. Equipment? also just about every game seems to have those these days. This is just plain ol' strategy game, there is no sub genre and no nothing. There is no exploration, and NPC chatting is nearly zero. I had more interaction in Romance of the Three Kingdom games, which is a game that no one will mistake it for RPG.

I feel like only reason Valkyria Chronicles is called JRPG is because it's made in Japan, and it has anime styled cut scene which seems to make people automatically think "oh! it must be JRPG!"

Number of games is often more important than quality of the games. People like variety and people's value towards a game is subjective. Give me 100 marios, and it will worth less than 1 Rule of Rose to me. PS1 and PS2 didn't have major success just because it had quality games, but because it had largest quantity of games.

So considering all that, yes PS3 future looks shaky at best for the moment when it comes to RPGs. I think my assessment of the situation is fairly accurate considering how the history of gaming industry looked like, and current situation of the industry.