I found a ps3 60gb, but is it worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 tigertechie
Member since 2009 • 1951 Posts
Okay, this question is mainly for ps3 60gb console owners. I am interested in buying a second-hand ps3 60gb, mainly because for playing ps2 games on it, since my ps2 is old and i have around 10 games. Just yesterday, a salesman in a game shop told me that the emulation on ps3's is terrible with ps2 games, they freeze up, stuff-up and sometimes shut down the system. This may-be true, but i am being doing about 4 months research, and i have never heard of that, i was going to buy it today, but now i am reconsidering it. Please tell me if this is true, because i have already found a ps3 60gb in a shop, and i want to know if it's worth the extra cash for ps2 emulation. Thank you very much.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

No such thing as freezing the system when playing PS2 games on 60Gb PS3. I never heard of such rumors.

If you have found a great deal for 60GB version, go for it mate. ;)

s1wel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 s1wel
Member since 2008 • 375 Posts
i have both the 60gb ps2 compatable and the ps2 and whenever i want to play a ps2 game i do it on the ps2. the games do work better on the ps2 simply because they were originaly made for that machine so there is a slight difference. also if you do buy a 60gb console for this purpose keep in mind that not all 60gb consoles have backward compatability
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tigertechie
Never really heard of that, but thanks any way
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tigertechie
I forgot to say that I have never heard of that either, but the salesman, might have been right, only because his assistant owned a ps3 60gb console, and tested, but they looked like the sort of people who left bd discs around like saucers,
eo_the_shaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 eo_the_shaman
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

well it is a sexy piece o hardware if you want all the fine extras it came with then def get it, and i bet itll be a collectors item one day... lol XD i can hope to maybe someday find out that my PS3 is now worth more then its original value

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

i have both the 60gb ps2 compatable and the ps2 and whenever i want to play a ps2 game i do it on the ps2. the games do work better on the ps2 simply because they were originaly made for that machine so there is a slight difference. also if you do buy a 60gb console for this purpose keep in mind that not all 60gb consoles have backward compatabilitys1wel

Really? I'm not aware of any 60GB PS3 console that does not play PS2 games 100% since. I have the original 60GB that I bought back in January 2007.

PS2 games don't work better on PS2, at least not to my eye and I have original PS and PS2 in my hone next to PS3 and the games play exactly the same.

60GB uses the same EE chip that PS2 has so the differences are absolutely the same.

eo_the_shaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 eo_the_shaman
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

[QUOTE="s1wel"]i have both the 60gb ps2 compatable and the ps2 and whenever i want to play a ps2 game i do it on the ps2. the games do work better on the ps2 simply because they were originaly made for that machine so there is a slight difference. also if you do buy a 60gb console for this purpose keep in mind that not all 60gb consoles have backward compatabilitySokol4ever

Really? I'm not aware of any 60GB PS3 console that does not play PS2 games 100% since. I have the original 60GB that I bought back in January 2007.

PS2 games don't work better on PS2, at least not to my eye and I have original PS and PS2 in my hone next to PS3 and the games play exactly the same.

60GB uses the same EE chip that PS2 has so the differences are absolutely the same.

actually back when the PS3 was released, PS2 graphics on some games (FF X) looked alot more blurry on the PS3 then the PS2 but a firmware update way back when fixed most of that

The_punisher23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_punisher23
Member since 2009 • 115 Posts
no i hear they explode in your face and little clover field monsters come out it's really bad
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
[QUOTE="s1wel"]i have both the 60gb ps2 compatable and the ps2 and whenever i want to play a ps2 game i do it on the ps2. the games do work better on the ps2 simply because they were originaly made for that machine so there is a slight difference. also if you do buy a 60gb console for this purpose keep in mind that not all 60gb consoles have backward compatability

All 60GB and 20GB PS3s play PS2 games. And for the TC I have never had trouble playing PS2 games on my PS3. If the deal is good, go for it...
SheikLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SheikLives
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

In all honesty...I've never had my PS3 mess up while playing a PS2 game.

Maybe I should be knocking on wood, but it does run like a champ.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

I have never had a problem with my 60 gig system playing PS2 games or DVD's. The PS3's that support PS2 games does a great job. I got rid of my PS2 a few months after getting my PS3 because it was just gathering dust.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
my 80 gig emulation PS3 runs my entire PS2 collection (around 30 games of all makes and ages) perfectly. The ONLY game that has any problem is Gran Turismo 4 and that is only a minor nusance that pops up in the corner of my screen from time to time and is completely ignorable. Whoever told you that is complete BS.
edge426723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 edge426723
Member since 2008 • 208 Posts

ive never heard of that maybe he was mis informed or a Fanboy

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tigertechie
my 80 gig emulation PS3 runs my entire PS2 collection (around 30 games of all makes and ages) perfectly. The ONLY game that has any problem is Gran Turismo 4 and that is only a minor nusance that pops up in the corner of my screen from time to time and is completely ignorable. Whoever told you that is complete BS.ColdfireTrilogy
What emulation??? If there is an emulation for ps3, you must tell me all about it, for me and everyone else who is a ticked-off ps2 lover here
Wantsfreestuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wantsfreestuff
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

the latest ps3's are missing the engine that you need to play ps2 games on it, but theres a download on the playstation store that gives you some ps2 stuff

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

playes Dead or alive 2, Splashdown 1 and 2, Here comes the pain and they work and look great

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
isn't there an update for ps3 comming that will bring back bc for ps2? so why don't you just buy a new ps3 and wait for the update? unless ofcourse i'm wrong then nvm
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

the latest ps3's are missing the engine that you need to play ps2 games on it, but theres a download on the playstation store that gives you some ps2 stuff

Wantsfreestuff
That download is only for PS3's that support PS2 games now.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

How much extra is it? If you get the newest firmwire update before playing a PS2 game, then you should have significantly less problems. All 60 gigs have BC. It is around 95% compatible with all PS2 games. I would say get it, if it is only like 30 dollars more or something. You also get 2 extra USB ports and memory flash card readers.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

I had the 60GB with PS2+1 B.C.,But i rarely used it to play my PS2+1 titles,prefering to play them on my old original PS2.

Now have sold the PS3 cos i'd had it about 2 years and didn't want it to break on me,and now waiting for the Slim PS3 to come on the market cos it's rumoured to come with 120GB as standard.

Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
Okay, I haven't read through the thread but here goes: I've had my 60gb since day one. It freezes occasionally, like any other console and/or version, but other than that it's fine. PS2 games play fine. Blu-rays I found also play well. Second-hand you can never be too careful though, so make sure you inspect it before you buy if thats possible. Good luck choosing, if you haven't already. If I''m too late, then have fun.
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tigertechie
[QUOTE="Adziboy"]Okay, I haven't read through the thread but here goes: I've had my 60gb since day one. It freezes occasionally, like any other console and/or version, but other than that it's fine. PS2 games play fine. Blu-rays I found also play well. Second-hand you can never be too careful though, so make sure you inspect it before you buy if thats possible. Good luck choosing, if you haven't already. If I''m too late, then have fun.

That's right about the second-hand, my friend told me, his friend bought a ps2 at a second-hand shop, the next day it broke and when he tried to return it, the guy denied ever selling it. But if you guys can find a ps3 60gb in store or at a friends place who wants to sell it, write to me, thanks.
Cetanu07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cetanu07
Member since 2009 • 335 Posts
go for it!!!! i still have my 60gb and i **** love it. only thing i did was upgrade the hard drive. i love being able to play my ps2 games.
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tigertechie
[QUOTE="Cetanu07"]go for it!!!! i still have my 60gb and i **** love it. only thing i did was upgrade the hard drive. i love being able to play my ps2 games.

Okay, i am going to try and go for it today, i will let you know about information if i get it.
Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#26 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

[QUOTE="s1wel"]i have both the 60gb ps2 compatable and the ps2 and whenever i want to play a ps2 game i do it on the ps2. the games do work better on the ps2 simply because they were originaly made for that machine so there is a slight difference. also if you do buy a 60gb console for this purpose keep in mind that not all 60gb consoles have backward compatabilitySokol4ever

People sometimes upgrade/ downgrade their HDD to 60gb but it is not the 60gb model that has the EE chip. Make sure that it does indeed have backwards compatibility before buying it.

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tigertechie
Don't worry i am 100% sure, i went there today, and saw it, it was there for $550, i asked and i could return it if it was not working, i tried to get it for $500, but he refused to sell it, so next time, i will try to get it for maybe $525.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
yes yes yes yes YEEEEEES!!!
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Will you just buy it, honestly you have the chance to get the "best" model and yet your himhawing around.

GANGSTASAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 GANGSTASAN
Member since 2006 • 2249 Posts

$550? :|

Isnt that like, a bit expensive? I mean, you could get a new PS3 80GB with Killzone 2 and MGS 4 for $400.... Then buy a preowned PS2 for $20 or so?

Not only would you save money, but you would also get a 80GB PS3 which runs cooler, thus lowers the chance of bricking, YLOD etc.

hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

this the first ive heard of it

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
I got my PS3 for $200 even on ebay. 40 GB model in great condition. You could do something like that and then pick up a new Ps2 for $100
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
I have a launch model 60GB PS3 (UK version so it's emulated, not the EE chip) and it works fine. For whatever reason new Atlus games (Mana Khemia, Ar Tonelico II) don't work at all, but all other PS2 games I've tried do. I've never experienced any freezing with any games.
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts

550 is kinda steep considering you already have a ps2 and you can get that great ps3 bundle at best buy right now for 400, i wouldnt jump on this deal.

Back to your original question. I have a 60G model myself and decided to go back and play Star Ocean 3 on it. I only bring this up b/c it you were asking about freezing issues with ps2 game and i've experience some freezing on this particular game. Let me also state that i rarely ever play ps2 games on my ps3 (i just use my ps2) so i cant say it happens to all ps2 games. Also i've rarely encountered locking up issues on my ps3 when playing ps3 games or videos's off my hdd or playing Blurays. It's happend once or twice but the occurance is so small that i'm not concerned with it. I've done a little research into the 60G models myself to see if there were anymore stories about them locking up w/ ps2 games and i wasnt able to find too much.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts
i have both the 60gb ps2 compatable and the ps2 and whenever i want to play a ps2 game i do it on the ps2. the games do work better on the ps2 simply because they were originaly made for that machine so there is a slight difference. also if you do buy a 60gb console for this purpose keep in mind that not all 60gb consoles have backward compatabilitys1wel
None of that is true. All 60GB PS3s play PS2 games. If you can find one with the PS2 hardware in it, that would be better than one that uses software emulation, but both play PS2 games just fine. In fact, if you have an HD set-up, the PS3 will upscale the graphics of PS2 games to make them look better.
cagivaelefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cagivaelefant
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts

Hi, i own a U.K. 60gb PS3 which i bought approx 1 year after first release.I bought a handful of secondhand PS2 games.I bought Stuntman ( menu is screwed up ), Gottlieb Pinball ( freezes occasionally not anymore though ), F1 2001 ( no problems at all ), CMR 2004 ( no problems ) and the worst game of them all Cresent Suzuki Racing ( no probs but sh1te ).Never had a PS3 game freeze on me though and is very quiet, just wish there was a way to make the fans speed up a bit.It might be worth waiting for that b/c compatible download to see if it's better this time around, if not i'm sure the 60gb PS3 will still be around.

Nathan.

tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tigertechie

$550? :|

Isnt that like, a bit expensive? I mean, you could get a new PS3 80GB with Killzone 2 and MGS 4 for $400.... Then buy a preowned PS2 for $20 or so?

Not only would you save money, but you would also get a 80GB PS3 which runs cooler, thus lowers the chance of bricking, YLOD etc.

GANGSTASAN
I have never heard of that, and since my ps2 IS chipped, and more than half my games work on chipped ps2's ONLY, i won't by another ps2 that i have too chip, i will just buy the ps3 games and ps2 games that i have on my chipped ps2. Oh, and ps3's aren't selling for more than $600 if they are brand new
tigertechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tigertechie
Most likely not, but my ps3 is 2 years old, and for some reason WILL NOT play ps1 games or even dvds, so that could be a warning