How scary or disturbing is Silent Hill?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

I'm planning to start this series from the first one on the PSone. Then play up until the PS3 version.

I don't wanna be a chicken crap that'll give in the middle of the game because i'm too scared.

I've played horrors like Dead Space and Resident Evil, I can stand disturbing moments but i can't stand surprising moments that will make you fall over.

So please tell me, how scary is Silent Hill and will i get freaked out and give up on it because of it's scare factor?

EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts

I'm planning to start this series from the first one on the PSone. Then play up until the PS3 version.

I don't wanna be a chicken crap that'll give in the middle of the game because i'm too scared.

I've played horrors like Dead Space and Resident Evil, I can stand disturbing moments but i can't stand surprising moments that will make you fall over.

So please tell me, how scary is Silent Hill and will i get freaked out and give up on it because of it's scare factor?

risako9

Silent Hill 2 is one of the scariest games Ive ever played. I remember having a hard time playing it without the lights on (but I was much younger back then LOL).

The sounds and the music in the game are really creepy besides the obvious disturbing graphics.

yaopingzhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yaopingzhu
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

How did you find Dead Space? If that experience wasn't too scary for you, then I'm confident you will survive the Silent Hill games. Stock up on clean undies just to be safe :P

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

BOOOH!

MWAHAHAHAHAAH!

Just got Silent Hill HD Collection as well recently. Too bad 1 isn't included ._.

But about scary....guess it was more scary back then, nowadays most of the monster types have become kind of pop culture, so, there mere looks probably won't have that much of an effect anymore nowadays.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts
I've played the games when i was too young, so it was fu****g scary speacially SH3 i find it very disturbing and depressing. Best horror series ever 1, 2 and 3 the rest are just mediocre.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

risako9
It'll have its moments where you'll jump but I think you should be worried more about how the game mind f***s you. Some of the imagery used in the game is outright disturbing. Since you're starting out from the first game, you might not be that disturbed due to the aged graphics but it's on the sophomore entry where the ante is upped.
H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts
Downpour was laggy but still a good game, homecoming as well, great story in my view but combat was too good which is a bad thing because its a survival horror, well the protagonist was an army man anyway.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

risako9

The time has passed but Silent Hill 2 and 3 are still very atmospheric and creepy. If you play them in dark room with decent sound, even the first game will be enjoyable.

I wholeheartedly recommend the series. :)

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
Definitely play them by yourself, late at night and in the dark.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i love sillent hill series i playing 1 2 downpour homecoming the room i hope kojima make next sillent hill have better atmosphere of deaed space and RE for me
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

The first 4 are quite eerie and disturbing. Since then they've toned them down. The most eerie and scary games to me are Fatal Frame 1 & 2 and they are in the top 3 scariest of all time and Silent Hill 2 & 3 are right behind them.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Keep in mind the graphics have aged now, so it will be less scary. I always found Silent Hill to have more of a creepy atmosphere than really creepy gameplay, though it does have it's moments. I would recommend Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3. In my opinion the series wasn't worth it anymore after that.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well if you find RE and dead space scary lets just say your in for a hell of a ride because SH outclasses both by a longshot when it comes to being scary. I mean even the first can be pretty creepy despite its graphics. Once you hit 2 though its scary as hell. I still have a hard time playing through it til this day and i have tried it recently. It does slowly get less and less scary as you get past 2 though. 3 and 4 are still scary but not like 2 was and then you get origins and homecoming which is where the series took a nosedive in the fear department. Downpour really isn't scary at all as most of the supposed monsters actually look like messed up humans. It still have creepy atmosphere though i guess.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#15 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Unlike the other games you mentioned....SH really attacks your mind.:|

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#16 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

well if you find RE and dead space scary lets just say your in for a hell of a ride because SH outclasses both by a longshot when it comes to being scary. I mean even the first can be pretty creepy despite its graphics. Once you hit 2 though its scary as hell. I still have a hard time playing through it til this day and i have tried it recently. It does slowly get less and less scary as you get past 2 though. 3 and 4 are still scary but not like 2 was and then you get origins and homecoming which is where the series took a nosedive in the fear department. Downpour really isn't scary at all as most of the supposed monsters actually look like messed up humans. It still have creepy atmosphere though i guess.

Gen007

Agreed

SulIy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SulIy
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts

The first 4 are quite eerie and disturbing. Since then they've toned them down. The most eerie and scary games to me are Fatal Frame 1 & 2 and they are in the top 3 scariest of all time and Silent Hill 2 & 3 are right behind them.

clr84651
Fatal Frame games are fricking TERRIFYING. Especially Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly. (man is this one going to get a PS2 digital download?)
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Downpour was pretty scary and good. SH3 is really great and scary too. I found SH2 really awkward. SH: Shattered Memories for the Wii was pretty chilling for the hour I played. It's hard to play the Wii since it is never in my room but I totally want to go back.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

horror games are not scary

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

horror games are not scary

osirisx3

Not even Amnesia?

risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

Alright thanks for the info, so it will be me and a dark room filled with imaginary demons. And btw, i love psychological pain.

lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

Silent Hill 3 scared me enough that I didn't get very far into it

gamecartridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamecartridge
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
The silent hill series has always scared me but it's never been disturbing, it always seem more creepy at least to me. To me the games has a more creepy atmosphere than anything else. Love the series!
Avatar image for Zero_resistance
Zero_resistance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zero_resistance
Member since 2009 • 232 Posts

Silent hill is scary, no doubt. If I had to choose one I'd probably go for SH2.

But if you want real scares, get yourself a PS2 and play through the Project zero (fatal frame) series. MY GOD.

P.S. Make sure you have clean underwear to hand

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Definitely play them by yourself, late at night and in the dark.Kravyn81

yeah thats the best time to play them.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#26 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Scary, not really. I suppose it would scare some people.

Disturbing, however, is the game's main descriptor. It is creepy and disturbing and unsettling, it will set you on edge more than anything.