How satisfied are you with the 7th Console generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Has it been as good as the last? Is it worse? Is it better?

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I think the quality of games this generation is unrivaled.  Online-play, improved story-telling, character development, and major graphical improvement.

But, this gen didn't impact me, surprise me or amaze me nearly as much as the previous generation.

Yes, there are dozens of great FPS games, but none of them were NEARLY as jaw-dropping to me as Halo 1-2, Metroid Prime and Half Life 2 were.

Sure, if Halo 4 came out in 2002, it would be the greatest game of all time, but it coming out in 2012 had less of an impact on me.

Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Splatted
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

Well I've just returned to gaming so I can't really comment, but perhaps the fact that I find myself really excited to be going through the back catalogue of ps3 games speaks for itself. Though I am dissapointed that RTSs haven't made there way to consoles yet; if they need a mouse, why not just use a mouse?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Ride

Well I've just returned to gaming so I can't really comment, but perhaps the fact that I find myself really excited to be going through the back catalogue of ps3 games speaks for itself. Though I am dissapointed that RTSs haven't made there way to consoles yet; if they need a mouse, why not just use a mouse?

Splatted
Consoles don't take use of them, and probably won't for the next gen either. It's just easier on pc
Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Splatted

[QUOTE="Splatted"]

The_Last_Ride

Consoles don't take use of them, and probably won't for the next gen either. It's just easier on pc

I'd guessed that might be the case, but it's still only half the story. People are always going on about how mouse and keyboard is a better input method for all sorts of games, and there's a whole genre that basically requires it, so why don't they make consoles that can use them?

Edit: Of course they must have a reason. I'm just dissapointed is all.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="Splatted"]

Splatted

I'd guessed that might be the case, but it's still only half the story. People are always going on about how mouse and keyboard is a better input method for all sorts of games, and there's a whole genre that basically requires it, so why don't they make consoles that can use them?

i guess they are stubborn that way. But with next gen it's almost there. You got surface and the Wii U gamepad that are perfect for it
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm not satisfied with my ps3.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I feel like the priorities of a lot of the industry became really muddled last generation. Story and cinematic flourish took too much precedence over good quality gameplay IMHO, It feels like gameplay didn't evolve much and, in many cases, it devolved from the gen before. I hope things look better this gen.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

It was not as good as the 6th (though I doubt I'll enjoy any gen as much as I did that one), but overall I've had a good time with my PS3.

ZomBViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZomBViperKing
Member since 2013 • 100 Posts
I still prefer my PS2's library over my PS3's.
Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Splatted

][QUOTE="Splatted"]

People are always going on about how mouse and keyboard is a better input method for all sorts of games, and there's a whole genre that basically requires it, so why don't they make consoles that can use them?

The_Last_Ride

i guess they are stubborn that way. But with next gen it's almost there. You got surface and the Wii U gamepad that are perfect for it

What's surface? I've tried googling but haven't been able to work it out.

As for the Wii U gamepad: it makes things easier but I imagine for RTSs you'd basically just be playing on the little touch screen instead of using the TV.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]][QUOTE="Splatted"]

People are always going on about how mouse and keyboard is a better input method for all sorts of games, and there's a whole genre that basically requires it, so why don't they make consoles that can use them?

Splatted

As for the Wii U gamepad: it makes things easier but I imagine for RTSs you'd basically just be playing on the little touch screen instead of using the TV.

Surface is Microsoft's tablet PC (link).

As far as using second screens with RTSs, I think one of the most helpful application is seeing a snapshot of the entire game map where tapping on an area on the tablet will take you there in the game. 

To address the topic, I'm very satisfied with this gen. Sure there was a movement away from some nice things like local split screen but we gained easier access to online play and user generated content that I think made for some awesome experiences. 

RPGAddict4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RPGAddict4Ever
Member since 2013 • 111 Posts

it's gud but i expected more . . .

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im happy with it, though im hoping next gen will be better. We all hope for that I suppose.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]][QUOTE="Splatted"]

Splatted

Surface is the pad made from MS, it can be used as a touch screen for games or as an additional controller. Like the Wii U, only without the additional buttons
Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Splatted

Surface is Microsoft's tablet PC (link).

As far as using second screens with RTSs, I think one of the most helpful application is seeing a snapshot of the entire game map where tapping on an area on the tablet will take you there in the game. 

The_Rick_14

Thanks that does sound very helpful, though still a long way from the facility of a mouse.

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread this much so back to the actual topic... I really dislike this gen's trend for open world games. It works really well for some games but I feel it detracts from others, and developers seem to veiw it as a definite positive they can use to advertise and sell more games.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

Im happy with it, though im hoping next gen will be better. We all hope for that I suppose.

marcheegsr
Hopefully they will add something more to innovate when it comes to how we play our games and gameplay in general
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#18 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Very happy with it.

The open world games are the real gems in my opinion.

The multiplayer has been great, although the quality of the FPS type games have varied.

Don't really see the need for a new console other than to generate revenue for Sony.

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#19 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

We've seen A LOT of great games from this generation, but maybe that's the reason why I feel a bit strange with this gen. With so many games flooding the market nowadays, games usually don't get the long spotlight they deserve. Just when I'm about to start playing this game, another great title comes out and I don't have enough time to immerse myself in the first game I was playing.

Personally I still like last gen during the PS2 era. Games came out steadily, they didn't flood the market, and it introduced a great deal of new IPs from all sorts of developers. And it also feels like many developers were more ambiitious with their ideas. Games went beyond shooters. But that's just my opinion :P. 

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

It was OK but I thought last gen was much better.

Ne-Plus-Ultra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ne-Plus-Ultra
Member since 2012 • 281 Posts

I thought it was the best one yet. I do look back on the PS2 days with great nostalgia though, I think mainly because I was younger, I lived near many of my friends back then, so we would party and play split-screen games all night long almost every weekend.

Now I live about a thousand miles away from those friends, so because of that the PS2 days were extra special for me. The reason I think that this gen was better though is because everytime I try to play old PS2 era games they just feel so dated, and most of them can't hold my interest anymore, so for me that makes this gen better.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I think ps2 had more enjoyable games but ps3 had a lot of top rated quality games.

What happened was when ps3 came along the whole middle ground of games just went because of costs and alot of companies went under, like were seeing with next gen and even gamers in general we've moved away from alright games are ok, it's either AAAA titles or indie games there isn't a middle ground anymore.

I've enjoyed ps3 but i was dissapointed to be honest alot of the games that i loved on ps2 seemed to of downgraded on the ps3 and i'm hoping the ps 4 makes this better, the one game what stands out for me is WWE, now ps2 had the whole smackdown phase, with all the backstage brawls going into the ground, great realistic graphics for the time, and it looked like next gen was going to push it even further but what happened, less match types, less backstage area's wasn't allowed in the crowd, career mode went to pot, graphics started off ok but never really got that much better, they used alot of gimmicks about hurting there leg would do something and all that but it turned out rubbish in the end, i'm hoping 2k will turn it around next gen. 

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

Gigantically better.  Manly because sound and sound design became much, much better.  After that HD was a big leap.  Game play got better depending on genre.  There is only so much you can do with a shooter beyond a better picture and better sound.  There was tons of improvement for people looking for big worlds and depth.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Last_Ride
I personally think they were about equal. I got to play two of my favorite games this and last gen. So i am 50-50
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Loved it.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i prefer this generation of games so many new games
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

as for me : PS1>PS2>PS3

on PS1 I played great quality JRPGs all the time, there were fun combat games (not games with 50+ moves for each character and a super bar making 1 hit kills), PS2 had less JRPGs but still some, a few fun sports games and combat games, PS3 had Bioshock, Borderlands and a few others, Enchanted arms was the only turn based JRPG.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

m62957984.gif

Worst. Generation. Ever

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I am quite happy with the way the 7th generation of videogames turned out. There were lots of great games this generation. For Playstation 3. I ended up with 139 retail Blu Ray disc games. For PLaystation portable I ended up with 85 UMD games. 

So for the Playstation 3 I was happy with it. The games offerred. This was my favorite console for the 7th generation by far. Same with Sony's handheld console.

For the other game companies "M" and "N" It bought their systems and games as well but nowhere near the amount for PS3 and PSP.

"M" console I only bought 58 retail disc games. For "N" console I bought only 14 retail disc games. (I am not a fan of motion controls) for "N" portable. I bought only 10 retail games. (2 screens and a stylus is so so)

So Playstation 3 was my favorite by a large margin over the other two 7th generation consoles. 

This generation did go on longer than any other before it. Mainly due to a very bad worldwide economy. 8 years when other generation went to 5 year spans.

But the length of the 7th generation aside. I was quite satisfied with the 7th console generation. 

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride
Not a lot of love for this gen :P?