How much do you care about trophies?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

Topic. I just recently realized after boring myself and going out of my way for them that I don't care.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Not at all. Certainly don't hate their existence and people that obsess over them.... Good for them they get more replay value over little digital icons, but nah... I personally don't care about them.
mm551144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mm551144
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts
i enjoy collecting them. such a great sense of satisfaction when you get a platinum.... yeah, i need a life.
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I wouldn't go out of my way to get trophies as such, but if I loved the game, I'll go after the trophies as it makes you explore more, hidden items etc.

TwiddleChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TwiddleChimp
Member since 2011 • 1878 Posts

I think they add some incentive to do things in some games I otherwise wouldn't bother with.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Gives some games ALOT of replay value. Collecting trophies is something i look forward to after i finish the game.

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

I don't care much about them; however, collecting them is good for me. I like to get the most out of my purchase and trophies are usually a good way for me to know that. Some games I like to play over and over, some however I don't like to play after I beat which is a waste of money. Trophies for such said games help me come back to them and juice every bit out of them.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
depends on the game.
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
They're ok. As you can see by my low number of trophies/achievements, I'm not one that goes for 100% completion. I did complete Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 though, but I sorta just stumbled upon the plat. Wasn't difficult at all.
sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
i like them but i wont go insane about them or try to get a trophy thats too time consuming, boring to get, or extremely difficult.
killev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 killev
Member since 2010 • 657 Posts

Trophies are the only reason why i feel like finishing some crappy games for trophies

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts

I'm not that bothered about trophies but I would prefer it if games didn't have them. It annoys me when games have online trophies as well as the fact that you can't delete them, especially when you have a stupid percentage like 1%.

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

Never really cared untill the PSN outage then thats all i did untill it came back on...i dont care that much now but if i notice im halfway done without trying i might go for the platinum if i get bored

big_old_tom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 big_old_tom
Member since 2006 • 6957 Posts
I don't hate trophies, but if it's a game i don't really like, i won't go out of my way to get the trophies. If it's a game i do like, i might go back and play a little more to try and get some more of the trophies.
G-CITY8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 G-CITY8
Member since 2011 • 82 Posts
I used to love collecting trophies but now I don't care.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
It depends on the game. I usually don't care about them in most games but if I really like a certain game and the trophies sound like they'd be fun to get and not some "Collect 100 of these randomly placed super obscure objects", then I'll see if I can get the platinum.
gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I do, but not as much as I used to since I platnumed Demon's Souls. The reason is because out of the 40 or so people on my friends list, no one gave me a "good job" or a "congradulations" on platinuming one of the hardest games made this gen. I then realized that people really don't seem to look at them to offten, probably because of how long it take to sync the trophies (unlike the other console).

What I did get one time was a guy on my friends list said that some of my times in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit has inspired him to not give up and that it can be done. I was pretty good at it and I platnumed that one too. I really like how NFS:HP did that "auto log" and hope more games do something like that. I found that more rewarding than the trophies

TwiddleChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TwiddleChimp
Member since 2011 • 1878 Posts

I do, but not as much as I used to since I platnumed Demon's Souls. The reason is because out of the 40 or so people on my friends list, no one gave me a "good job" or a "congradulations" on platinuming one of the hardest games made this gen. I then realized that people really don't seem to look at them to offten, probably because of how long it take to sync the trophies (unlike the other console).

What I did get one time was a guy on my friends list said that some of my times in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit has inspired him to not give up and that it can be done. I was pretty good at it and I platnumed that one too. I really like how NFS:HP did that "auto log" and hope more games do something like that. I found that more rewarding than the trophies

gregbmil

Well, if it's any kind of consolation, I find that to be an impressive accomplishment. Congrats! :D I know I'd never have the patience to plat Demon's Souls.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I like them, and they give me reason to replay games I normally wouldn't. For example, just a couple weeks ago I beat Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on crushing difficulty, something I normally would not have done had there not been trophies for it.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
An optional feature if you ask me, like Move. Just something to spice up gaming for some people.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#21 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

They add replayability and are a nice feature but I just try to finish the game before going for some.

kramer_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#22 kramer_inc
Member since 2008 • 1303 Posts

I enjoy them they are a nice addition to a game. I usually play the game and beat it, then on a replay concentrate on trophy's

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
I like getting them. If done right, they are great. I just don't like how some games have stupid caveats like Shadows of the Damned (what I'm currently playing). SOTD doesn't unlock lower difficulty trophies, meaning you have to beat it on hard, normal, and easy.
JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#24 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts
I love collecting them, but i don't buy games just for easy trophies or anything like that. Plus they add a lot of replay value and encourage me to try things i normally wouldn't (beating a game twice, finding all the collectibles,...).
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I couldn't care less about them. I play the games I play because I want to play them, not because I want some pointless, useless level to increase by doing things I don't want too.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Pretty good amount. Though I'm not so far obsessed that I'd play Terminator Salvation or Hannah Montanna for an easy plat.:P

I've about 9 plats and my 10th will probably be Resonance of Fate. And **** is the arena the most boring and tedious thing ever.:cry:

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

trophies are great for games i am really into.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

They're a good addition but I wish you could delete them also, the fact you can't makes me reluctant to experiment and rent games.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

They are fun to compare with friends and add replay value to games so I like them.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I currently have 183 Trophies. But not a single platinum Trophy. So if I play a game and get a trophy fine. I do not seek them out. They add to the game, but I have not become addicted to getting trophies in PS3 games.

So for me I don't really care about getting trophies.

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#31 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

~3.50 outta 10

Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

For me, I usually get what ever ones I can get and then move on. Only a few times, I went back to a game to do a "trophy clean-up", when you will replay the game to get more or all of the trophies. If I REALLY like the game, then I will try for the plat. Usually, if I can get it, that's fine, if not, I have about twenty other games I gotta go thru.

Avatar image for untouchables111
untouchables111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 untouchables111
Member since 2005 • 1650 Posts
I think they are a deff benefit of ps3 games. Example for the last few days I have been replaying Infamous to go through the Evil play through collecting those trophies. If there were not trophies I would have never just up and played this. Not to mention that I have now been able to see/ enjoy the other side of the game. Trophies I think offer players the opportunity to see what the devs have created in a game
EABGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EABGamer
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

enough to sig it.:P

HERDbaseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 HERDbaseball
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I voted for nice addition. However, I think Xbox 360 has done the best job even though it's essentially the same thing. However, Xbox started the idea so I guess that's why I like the achievements slightly better.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

As ol' Bill Shakespeare once said...

"Trophies are a tale invented by and idiot, full of bells and game-interupting graphics, signifying... Nothing."

:lol:

I'd like to start off by saying, whatever motivates you as a gamer (as long as no one else gets injured or ripped off), is a good thing. I am certainly not judging.

But I couldn't care less about trophies. To me, it's a Pavlovian gimic devs use instead of working on real, meaningful incentives to replay a game - Like new maps, weapons, even design art (the king of lazy dev unlockables)... Last gen, if you worked your way to an ending, they would (usually) throw you a bone like a harder difficulty setting, outfits/ skins, new weapons, etc. Now they charge for what you used to win by puting in the time and effort. They just ring a bell. but as Pavlove's dogs quickly learned, just because the bell rings, it doesn't mean there's a treat coming. And yet the bell caused salivation and anticipation due to conditioning. The people who make and market games and the like have instigated a very clever little device for keeping a gamer going without involving extra development time or resources. They don't have to actually provide you with anything for performing. They just ring a little bell. And you're excited.

Conditioning experiment - Great success.

I don't care if others spend their time hunting them, no skin off my nose, but I don't personally care. If trophies make your gaming experience better, then I support you in your version of our wonderful hobby. Trophy on, fellow gamer. Trophy on. I just wish Sony had the brains to allow you to turn them off if you like. But that's Sony's fault, not the fault of gamers who like trophies.

:)

Respect.

H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts
Trophies are great, games don't grow on trees lol, so I like to try to get a Platinum trophy in a game to get every pennies worth.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#38 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

I don't have any problem with them, but I certainly don't go out of my way to collect them. I get them and just keep on playin;)

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

If I really like a game and want to spend more time with it after my first playthrough, then sure, why not go for the platinum? Assuming there aren't any ridiculous online trophies. It's a nice roadmap to discovering everything the game has to offer.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I've warmed up to trophies the past few months or so, but I don't obsess over getting platinums. If I really like the game and the platinum is easy to obtain then I'll go for it.

Avatar image for bostadskontrakt
bostadskontrakt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 bostadskontrakt
Member since 2008 • 387 Posts

I used to totally ignore trophies. But now I have come to realise thatthey can give me hints of stuff to do in a game that might be fun doing. So I have a look at themfor games I like and Ioften do thelow hanging fruitones.

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts
Not at all. If I get them, fine. If not, fine. Some of them are so ridiculous that trying to get them would completely ruin the game for me.
boxcart100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 boxcart100
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I don't go to the list of trophies and try to get every single one, like I know some Xbox360 players do. But theres still always a good feeling when you get a trophy, like "oh, i did something right!" but I personally don't care for them that much.
bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#44 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

It really depends on the game. In some games when you gain a trophy you unlock extra content in the game. For example with Catherine the more trophies you collect the more songs you get added to the Jukebox. That's why I'm trying to plat that game.

Aux99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Aux99
Member since 2011 • 1689 Posts

I don't really care about them

djseebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 djseebee
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts

trophies are a game flavor, it gaves a taste of playing

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Not much. After getting a few platinums they kind of grow old fast. The best thing about them are the records they keep so you can look back on them later on. A video game diary if you will.

Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts

I voted for "They're a nice addition". I like getting trophies but ifI feel one is too much trouble I don't worry about it.

aRealCoolGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 aRealCoolGuy
Member since 2009 • 1689 Posts

I wish you could turn the option for Trophies off. They're pointless and it's annoying when people bug me about 'em.. I've played certain games under a separate user name just so it doesn't show up under my Trophie list..

Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

Why someone would hate thier existence i don't know. At the same time I don't obsess over them either. If you have a game that has a long life span, final fantasy XIII for example, I'd rather spill the time into completing the story rather than getting all the trophies. For games like vanquish though for example were I don't feel I got enough for what I paid, once I complete what the game has to offer it's a nice to challenge to try and get some of the more challenging trophies / achievements.