How long until PS3 is used to full potential?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

So, how long do you think it will be until developers finally master the CELL software in the PS3 and can use it to its full potential? I have been doing a lot of research on it and am wondering what you guys think.

edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
Great question, but I lack the tech knowledge to tell you. I love looking at games from early in console lives compared to end of life games. I'm excited to see what the PS3 will peak out at.
Omni-Gamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Omni-Gamer-
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts
You mean it hasn't peaked yet? I feel like every console right now has somewhat nearly reached their maximum capability.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

I'm pretty sure Uncharted 2 almost got there.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
GOW3 is coming out on the 16th so then.
XxChicagoTedXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XxChicagoTedXx
Member since 2009 • 407 Posts

You mean it hasn't peaked yet? I feel like every console right now has somewhat nearly reached their maximum capability.Omni-Gamer-

The 360? Probably. The PS3? No. With what developers can do with CELL the PS3 could do so much more. It is just so hard to develop for that studios can't take the time and resources out to learn the code for it. I am going to guess that UC3 will be the game to do it.

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Not to get too philosophical, but there will never be a point in time when you can prove with absolute certainty that a game has harnessed a system's full potential.
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Gamer-"]You mean it hasn't peaked yet? I feel like every console right now has somewhat nearly reached their maximum capability.XxChicagoTedXx

The 360? Probably. The PS3? No. With what developers can do with CELL the PS3 could do so much more. It is just so hard to develop for that studios can't take the time and resources out to learn the code for it. I am going to guess that UC3 will be the game to do it.

Sony loves people like you. You'll take the cake and eat it too. Seriously the cell is just "what you see is what you get". It's not some godly device sent from the future. Games like god of war 3 is seriously pushing the cell beyond its edge so don't get delusional.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

GOW3 is coming out on the 16th so then.Swift_Boss_A

Ha. That's exactly what I was thinking. Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5 when it comes out. I'm thinking it's pretty close to "full potential" already. I'm sure with each year of the PS3's life there will be slow, incremental improvements. But usually after about year 2 of a new system, when developers start getting in the swing of things, the improvements for what they can "get out of the system" are more about optimization and refinement

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
Well my guess is at the end of this gen much like the ps2.
amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

According to an interview with Insomniac back a few months ago when A Crack in Time was released, they said it would be another 2 or 3 years before it's fully maxed out. Uncharted 2 uses all of the processing power, but the trick is using it more efficiently, and that's something that still has a ways to go.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

The PS3 is pretty much already there. It can't play any of it's main titles in native resolutions higher than 720p ("main titles" as in non-PSN games) and many of the more pretty PS3 titles don't even run in true native 720p either (usually some weird resolution like 640p that is then upscaled to 720p). So it's power capped out a long time ago. Even if it hasn't been pushed to the limit yet, I'm sure that Crysis 2 will be the end-all game for the PS3's hardware.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

Well for the Cell, I think it can go much more, but for the rest of the PS3's hardware, I'm not sure how much can devs push it, we will find out as more games come in this and next year, maybe even 2012 or 2013.

TheEldestGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEldestGod
Member since 2010 • 4142 Posts
The Crysis developers claim they've pushed it to its max. They were so pleased with it that they decided to use the PS3 as the lead platform (or are developing the PS3 version from ground up on PS3; not sure which). Crysis2 comes out this fall, so it won't be long before we see what they've done with it.
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I think its already reached its peak, with games like Killzone 2 with memorable graphics

thefourthloko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thefourthloko
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Gran Turismo 5 anyone?

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#17 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Gran Turismo 5 anyone?

thefourthloko

meh..

Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

"How long until PS3 is used to full potential?"

Tomorrow

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
i think its already gotten REALLLLLLY close with UC2
Prince-Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Prince-Noctis
Member since 2009 • 1271 Posts

I think we have until the next gen starts, developers are gonna keep finding new ways to compress material, reduce power usage etc. They'll keep finding new techniques that's just how technology works I don't think we'll even see the PS3's highest potential ever and it's not just a PS3 thing it's the same across all consoles or handhelds.

Abecale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Abecale
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

I think its almost there, needs some more time before devs are comfortable with what it can do.

FF13 and uncharted 2 looks like it uses almost all of its power.

jjivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 jjivey
Member since 2010 • 1354 Posts

When's the PS4 coming out? That's the question on everyone's minds, because…

Wait! No it's not! The PS3's only just getting started!

So said SCEA CEO Jack Tretton in an interview withFast Company.

"We've just passed the third year of the PlayStation 3 and we're just hitting our stride. And I don't think anyone is saying, 'This is a five-year cycle; what's new on the horizon?' I can't even imagine what can be done technically beyond the PlayStation 3 in the near future."

"A question I often get is when we are going to see PlayStation 4. When somebody can craft the technology that exceeds what we're able to do on the PS3, but we are still just starting to harness it."

This is from a post i found elsewhere.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I would guess in three - four more years. The real performance pushing games in past were always in later stages of console life.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

So, how long do you think it will be until developers finally master the CELL software in the PS3 and can use it to its full potential? I have been doing a lot of research on it and am wondering what you guys think.

XxChicagoTedXx

Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy XIII (PS3 version, of course) and God of War 3 say hi.

thefourthloko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thefourthloko
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I think the 360's reaching full potential while the ps3's only getting started. It's almost caught up to 360 sales. The one thing that will keep 360's selling is Natalwhen it comes out, and theexclusives likeHalo Reach.They will most likely integrate Natal it in future models to counter ps3 sales. I have both systems, and play them equally so I can't wait to see how all this plays out.

Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

I think the 360's reaching full potential while the ps3's only getting started. It's almost caught up to 360 sales. The one thing that will keep 360's selling is Natalwhen it comes out, and theexclusives likeHalo Reach.They will most likely integrate Natal it in future models to counter ps3 sales. I have both systems, and play them equally so I can't wait to see how all this plays out.

thefourthloko

I dunno...Natal and Sony's motion dealie just sound like ways to try and get some of the Wii's business. It's a silly peripheral to release halfway through the consoles life, especially when a lot of people on both the HD consoles picked them for HD, libraries, and no motion control. Now, I could be totally wrong, they could spawn some kickass games and be well received, but it just seems like a /facepalm move to me.

And if you're right, that the PS3 is just getting started with its potential and the 360 has reached its peak, that's pretty awesome, as Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 look better than anything the 360 has. Makes me dream in awe of the awesomeness that the PS3 has in store.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

Last I checked, Uncharted 2 used quite a bit of - if not max amount of the PS3's capabilities. I've noticed games like MGS4, Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2 are unlike any other game quality wise. I'm starting to think the PS3 just may be the most dominate system of this current gen. i THINK