How is the Orange Box for the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LycanthropyMoon
LycanthropyMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LycanthropyMoon
Member since 2009 • 220 Posts

from all the reviews I read, it was the definite worse version of the games collection, because of all the slowdown and such, that made me deciding not to buy it. but I was wondering, do anybody own it? is it really that worse as they say? or maybe they fixed it with a patch? also, are there alot of people playing online? thanks.

Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
I own it and its not as bad as made out to be. There are quite a lot of people on TF2. Great package and well worth the money, load screens are longer than you would expect but nothing to bad and i only experienced slow down once. No tearing from my experiences.
jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts

it's not broken. it's still a great value and great games for $20 i think now. It froze on me twice, did crazy clipping/ screen tearing on me once, and once i had to replay a chapter bc button wasn't working but that didnt really disturb me bc it has good games.

417alum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 417alum
Member since 2007 • 1468 Posts
I have it on PS3 and that other system...Overall they're pretty much the same until you Play HL2:Ep1. That's the only slowdown i've seen.
LycanthropyMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LycanthropyMoon

I have it on PS3 and that other system...Overall they're pretty much the same until you Play HL2:Ep1. That's the only slowdown i've seen.417alum

how bad is the slow down in episode 1? does it really make it unplayable? how about the original HL2 and episode 2? and team fortress 2? and HL2 DM? ^^

417alum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 417alum

[QUOTE="417alum"]I have it on PS3 and that other system...Overall they're pretty much the same until you Play HL2:Ep1. That's the only slowdown i've seen.LycanthropyMoon

how bad is the slow down in episode 1? does it really make it unplayable? how about the original HL2 and episode 2? and team fortress 2? and HL2 DM? ^^

Not unplayble...It just drops maybe 10 FPS. Everything else is fine...It's worth the $15
Xul_Onerom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xul_Onerom
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts

It is the worst version by far, but is not as bad as it seems. There aren't many slowdowns at all. The only thing that annoys me is that sometimes it makes a cracking sound following an explosion or any other loud noise, and it can take up to a minute to go away. Other than that, is not that bad, especially now that is at $20.

Be aware that the PS3 version of TF2 is going to sorely disappoint you if you have played the PC version

LycanthropyMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LycanthropyMoon

[QUOTE="LycanthropyMoon"]

[QUOTE="417alum"]I have it on PS3 and that other system...Overall they're pretty much the same until you Play HL2:Ep1. That's the only slowdown i've seen.417alum

Not unplayble...It just drops maybe 10 FPS. Everything else is fine...It's worth the $15

well its not really a matter of if its worth the price or not, its more a matter of like, is it possible to be finished just fine and not get frustrated because of the slowdowns, the price is not what bothers me.

mattyperkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattyperkins
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts

playing it on ps3 just make me wish i was playing it on pc....

R0rschach-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R0rschach-
Member since 2009 • 1482 Posts

Orange Box is alright... not great, not good, but alright. In my opinion, if you're paying $15 for it, you're being ripped off. I got my copy for like $7 at EB, and i think its worth what i paid. In my honest opinion, i'd save that $15, and use it to buy a much better game. I mean, i dont even touch my copy of Orange Box anymore. It was only fun for a week or two at the max.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

One of the best collection of games ever created. Your getting 5 games for $15. Let me say again 5 great games for $15! The Half Life Series is one of the most respected and Portal and TF2 kick ass. If you are a gamer you owe it to yourself to get this game on any platform you can.

vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

It works great. I've beaten all the games with no large problems. There can be a framerate issue, but it can be fairly rare. Its a great collection of great games, so I really think you should get it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts
The Orange Box on PS3 is a lot of fun. I played it and loved it.
DepressionMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#14 DepressionMoon
Member since 2007 • 135 Posts

Are you kidding me here? The game is 5 games in one a steal? I've yet to finish all the games because I'm still on Half-Life 2 which is a pretty long game., but you'll be crazy not to be a game that's only about $15-20 and has five games in it one of which is online.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
Patched. I only had very brief slowdowns 2 or 3 times. It's fine. Although I personally think HL is kinda boring. Portal is worth $15 alone.
Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
I might have a bad copy or something, but the load times are ridiculous, the frame rate is unbearable and makes the games almost unplayable, there's no one playing Team Fortress 2, and every time it autosaves you get a new file on your PS3, which takes up a boatload of space.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

One of the best collection of games ever created. Your getting 5 games for $15. Let me say again 5 great games for $15! The Half Life Series is one of the most respected and Portal and TF2 kick ass. If you are a gamer you owe it to yourself to get this game on any platform you can.

Duckman5
This. For gods sake, get Orange Box! It's technical issues are way overblown. The patch completely removed instability and frame-rate dips for me.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

The reviews for this game were awful. Many of them acted like the game was unplayable, which is just wrong. Period. I'm all for one sharing their opinion, but some of what they stated was just incorrect.

Is it the definitive version? No. Not by a long shot. Is it unplayable, or hampered enough in any way to harm the experience? No.

If you're interested in it but are afraid of what the reviews said, don't be. The Orange Box for the PS3 is nowhere near as bad as reviews stated it was.

417alum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 417alum
Buy It....IT"S NOT UNPLAYABLE!!!
Atmanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Atmanix
Member since 2009 • 6927 Posts

I never experienced any slow down all the way through. So if it is there, it's barely noticable. The main issue I had, and this has probably been patched now, is the strider room near the end of the first game. My PS3 would crash on me everytime.

Really though, the gem of this collection is Portal. It's worth the money by itself.

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

It's a great game. TF2 lags only when you enter the game for about 20 seconds but then it's fine.