How does difficulty level affect your playing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

McA713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 McA713
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts

I've been playing Hitman: Absolution and I've been thinking how much diffuculty affects my gameplay. I've been struggling on the Hard difficulty, but on Medium I can breeze through with not that much difficulty.

I have more fun playing on Medium, but I don't feel like I'm playing on a hard enough difficulty.

gangstafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gangstafc
Member since 2009 • 228 Posts

I've been playing Hitman: Absolution and I've been thinking how much diffuculty affects my gameplay. I've been struggling on the Hard difficulty, but on Medium I can breeze through with not that much difficulty.

I have more fun playing on Medium, but I don't feel like I'm playing on a hard enough difficulty.

McA713
for me it depends i like hard games because when you win its rewarding like demon soul and dark soul but if its unfair hard then i stick on playing it on normal and if the game is story driven like any jrpg i will normally play it on normal cause for me if i get stuck on a boss i will stop playing it and play it later on and for those sort of game i will forget what happens in the story.
PS360Wii4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PS360Wii4eva
Member since 2010 • 297 Posts

I like hard cause you gotta use cover and make sure ya never get shot. Makes it way better.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I started playing Kingdoms of Amalur on medium difficulty and it was a walk in the park. Think I got killed once or maybe twice in seven hours. Switched to hard difficulty and that's more like what I'd expect medium to be. Some of the bigger battles are at least challenging and I might get killed 3 or 4 times and actually have to develop a strategy in order to win. But now that I'm 40 hours into it and leveled up quite a bit I'm darned near invincible again.

Oh well, at least this time I earned it lol.

I've noticed in a lot of games lately that medium difficulty is what I'd expect casual to be, and you don't get into anything that's genuinely difficult until you play on insane or whatever's above hard.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I dont really like to play on hard difficulty because I end up not enjoying the game. I usually play on the normal difficulty.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
In today's games, "Hard" difficulty just means you take more damage while enemies require more damage from you to die; that's essentially what it boils down to. Rarely does it actually affect how the game plays (i.e. smarter enemies, better A.I., etc.).
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I usually start out on whatever the normal difficulty is. I can usually get away with screwing around more as normal difficulty is usually pretty easy for most games. On harder difficulties I'm much more cautious and patient, and it helps to have all ready played the game before. Sometimes I'll just go ahead and jump in on Hard. hard tends to be pretty easy with games that have a level above Hard, at least in my experience.
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Usually I like my games easy, I like to relax while gaming. In very few situations I play on hard or more; trophies, I know the game too well, etc. Hitman: Absolution however, I started it on Purist and I'm planning to finish it on that. Mainly because the difficulty is all about patience and mind games rather than reflexes or what not.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

I usually prefer the challenge of playing on the hardest difficulty and doing so obviously also adds to the lifespan of each game.

I'm currently playing Absolution on "Purist" while aiming solely for Silent Assassin ratings twisted.gif

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I usually start with medium difficulty, but a lot of PS3 games aren't too difficult to beat on hard it seems, so I've been starting on that recently. I also enjoy a good challenge, but I'll only keep playing if I'm really into the game.

mcteojamc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mcteojamc
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I've noticed in a lot of games lately that medium difficulty is what I'd expect casual to be
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

I've noticed in a lot of games lately that medium difficulty is what I'd expect casual to bemcteojamc

Exactly. The Medium of today is what we called Very Easy four generations back. I guess gaming's boom in popularity over the past decade-plus has had a lot to do with making titles more accessible to casuals. IMO it's a damn shame too. A lot of excellent franchises have been ruined as a result and from what I've read thus far, Dark Souls is next on the chopping block :(

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like to play on the normal difficulty level.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts
I dont really like to play on hard difficulty because I end up not enjoying the game. I usually play on the normal difficulty.jcopp72
This
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
most of games i like to play on hard level
MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
the development and progress of the game industry over the past 30 years led to a point where the games are more or less story driven, immersive and somewhat long experiences with plot twists around every corner... if we are to compare past and present we must not forget that most of the earlier games were in a state, where the current generation of games use them as mini-games within the game... of course, the difficulty level of the early games required a certain dedication, where you had to play the same level (in most cases somewhat the "only" level with increasing brutal difficulty) over and over again, just to make a progress... nowadays the story is one of the driving forces if not the only one and the difficulty levels have at least three stages depending on your level of dedication to the game or the genre... i have to disagree with the statement that difficulty levels do not impact your gameplay, where you can or should change your tactics maybe to a stealthier one, simply because running in to a situation with guns blazing will not cut it anymore... oh, i play most games one stage lower than the hardest level... :)
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I try to play at the limits of my ability. Most games, by about 50% or so (length-wise, not trophy-wise), tend to ramp up to the point where I begin to feel challenge. I take it for granted that games are going to be easy (for me) for the first half or so due to my long, been-playing-since-1977 history in the medium. Certain series such as CoD, I begin on the harder difficulty because I'm SO adept at them that I know all the strategies and I know that not even the later levels will hold challenge if I don't start out immediately on the harder settings.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

I like this question! I try to figure out what experience the game is designed to give. So for games with good stories (Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock) or good "worlds" (Mass Effect II) I find that I can tune down the level and get a better experience. Other games are all about those tense "arcade" moments. So I like to play games like inFamous II, Bioshock II and both Dead Space games as difficult as I can manage.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

I usually like to play on easy actually. It's a lot more fun to feel like a true badass just destroying the enemies. Once I beat a game I'll bump up the difficulty if I replay. Games designed to be more realistic I'll play on harder.

Sports games I always play at the highest difficulty though, gets me ready to play friends.

VIPERX1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 VIPERX1000
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts

I always play on the hardest difficulty level possible when I start a new game. For one, it makes the game take longer to finish and I very rarely play any games more than once anymore. That way I'm getting my full moneys worth. Then there is also the satisfaction that comes with accomplishing something difficult. Any random person can play a game on normal or medium and just breeze right through, but it takes someone more hardcore to face a bigger challenge.