Hideo Kills the MGS4 Hype

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zaokamura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zaokamura
Member since 2004 • 1719 Posts
I recently bought the Edge magazine for the exclusive interview with the creator Hideo Kojima but it seems he was far from happy with how the technology peformed. It seems Kotaku picked up on it also link below. VVvvVV

http://kotaku.com/381412/kojima-disappointed-with-metal-gear-solid-4
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Hmm interesting read, he still thinks the game is good, a step up from previous MGS releases. But overall was disappointed with the Cell processor. He made it oseem that when development of the game began Sony didn't say how powerful the CPU would be and made it out that the PS3 would be more powerfull than it actually is. Resulting in Kojima designing a more grandiose game than the PS3 could actually handle. Still even its only slightly better than 3 thats still pretty damn good.
Flam3Thr0w3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Flam3Thr0w3r
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

Wow, the creator being dissapointed with his own game is not a good thing.

The bit about wanting to go ten steps further and only being able to go one is shocking.

To be honest, he maybe made a mistake saying all this stuff, because I was going to buy this game on release day, but I'm going to wait for reviews now, and they may end up changing my mind!

Oh, and by the way, you shoud change the title to something like, " Kojima Are Dissapointed With Their Own Game, MGS4 "

That will attract more attention! :D

Thanks for posting this by the way.

zaokamura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zaokamura

Yeh got to respect the guy for being honest he is a pioneer and I have great respect for him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
I feel bad for him. If he really is a perfectionist then this is a great dissapointment for him
zaokamura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zaokamura
MGS4 will be a materpiece regardless but I dont think everyone will love it if there not MGS fans.
GUNpoint_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 GUNpoint_
Member since 2008 • 1964 Posts
he's a perfectionist; he was expecting the game to turn out like Crysis, both graphically and freedom-wise. of course, that is impossible no matter how hard you push the PS3's power. the game will still be amazing, no doubt.
GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
Well unless MGS4 is using 100% of the PS3's processing/graphic capacity then i think he's just bein stupid.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ket87
I just hope the game is still impressive enough to make me get a PS3. I've been holding out for the MGS4 80GB but maybe I better wait to see how the game fairs in reviews and how players like it before dropping a half months pay on a PS3.
PeterTimpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 PeterTimpa
Member since 2005 • 2509 Posts
Kojima is a genuis and he is probably my fav video game creator. It takes a lot to come forth and say that I never hear any onther creator state anything like this. It shows how humble he is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 avataraang1
Pffft...well I'm not getting that game now. Xbox 360 it is.CheeChee_Macko
Lol what a troll
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
Perfectionist i think, the cell does not impede gameplay, this game is likely to get AAAA if any game this year.
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

Everything has limitations.

Nintendo's main guy, Shiggy has always expressed disappointment in the games he develops.

There will never ever be a such thing as a perfect game. MGS 4 will be a masterpiece and be one of the top games ever made. The people who have played it such as the IGN community expressed how great it was.

CheeChee_Macko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CheeChee_Macko
Member since 2008 • 2236 Posts

[QUOTE="CheeChee_Macko"]Pffft...well I'm not getting that game now. Xbox 360 it is.avataraang1
Lol what a troll

Not really, I was just really looking forward to this game and now after reading that I just can't bring myself to want the game. I was going to get a Xbox 360 way after MGS4 came out, but now it looks like I will be getting one sooner rather than later.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ket87
Kojima originally had this big grand scheme for MGS2 as well that didn't work out and he discusses this the MG Saga DVD. But the technology and growing tensions in the Middle East before 9/11 forced him to change the game. He originally wanted MGS2 to be an epic globe trotting adventure with a big focus of the plot surrounding terrorists hijacking a tanker carrying metal gear in the middle east not Raiden out in the middle of the hudson bay fighting russian mercenaries and ex navy seals.
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts

Wow, the creator being dissapointed with his own game is not a good thing.

The bit about wanting to go ten steps further and only being able to go one is shocking.

To be honest, he maybe made a mistake saying all this stuff, because I was going to buy this game on release day, but I'm going to wait for reviews now, and they may end up changing my mind!

Oh, and by the way, you shoud change the title to something like, " Kojima Are Dissapointed With Their Own Game, MGS4 "

That will attract more attention! :D

Thanks for posting this by the way.

Flam3Thr0w3r
No, he's not disappointed with the game, rather the limits of the console. Reviews? You want to read reviews before deciding to buy this game now that he said this? It is still the same game from which we've seen all that footage, I don't think it will be worse, but rather better. Also that title you're suggesting makes no sense.

Pffft...well I'm not getting that game now. Xbox 360 it is.CheeChee_Macko
C'mon, trolling on this? We all know that is not going to happen.

zaokamura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zaokamura

Kojima is a genuis and he is probably my fav video game creator. It takes a lot to come forth and say that I never hear any onther creator state anything like this. It shows how humble he is. PeterTimpa

agreed!

Theres no doubt in my mind MGS4 is going to be brilliant, its the people who dont know MGS very well. Who get overly hyped just cause of its graphics that worry me with this.

Kinda like Halo 3 there was a total hype overkill but the fans still love it.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

[QUOTE="avataraang1"][QUOTE="CheeChee_Macko"]Pffft...well I'm not getting that game now. Xbox 360 it is.CheeChee_Macko

Lol what a troll

Not really, I was just really looking forward to this game and now after reading that I just can't bring myself to want the game. I was going to get a Xbox 360 way after MGS4 came out, but now it looks like I will be getting one sooner rather than later.

Then I bet you when Epic says they are disappointed in Gears 2 because they could not achieve more advanced techinal wonders above the first Gears, you will not want a 360 anymore?

Face it, many game developers want their games to be perfect, a sign that they care about the games they make. I would rather have an honest developer trying his best and admitting disappointment than one who does not care and hopes his crappy trash sells well.

Shiggy of Nintendo always says he is disappointed in his games because he could not do as much as he would like with the machine, but the fans who play his games hype it as some of the best ever.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
How ironic. But I like his humility.
PeterTimpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PeterTimpa
Member since 2005 • 2509 Posts

[QUOTE="PeterTimpa"]Kojima is a genuis and he is probably my fav video game creator. It takes a lot to come forth and say that I never hear any onther creator state anything like this. It shows how humble he is. zaokamura

agreed!

Theres no doubt in my mind MGS4 is going to be brilliant, its the people who dont know MGS very well. Who get overly hyped just cause of its graphics that worry me with this.

Kinda like Halo 3 there was a total hype overkill but the fans still love it.

Very Good point Zaokamura
GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GenTom
I smell a MGS5 for the next gen of consoles if he has such ambitions.
Stark1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Stark1177
Member since 2003 • 200 Posts
It sounds like hes dissapointed with the technology of the PS3, I seriously doubt he tapped all of what the Ps3 has to offer in his 1st game
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ket87

I smell a MGS5 for the next gen of consoles if he has such ambitions.GenTom

MGS4 is supposed to be the finale of the series...

Kojima does make other IPs just MGS is the most famous by far. He will likely try something just as ambitious with something new instead of ressurecting MGS for no other reason than too try and push a console to its limits.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GenTom
I'm no huge fan of the MGS series.. it's good, but i think it's a talented dev team that makes it such an awesome game, so i'd be happy if they just moved onto other stuff.
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

I smell a MGS5 for the next gen of consoles if he has such ambitions.GenTom

He never stated there wont be a next MGS game, all he said he doesn't want to direct it or get to involved in it.He just would be happy to produce the next game.

And MGS4 is the end of Solid Snake chapter not the MGS series.

virriador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 virriador
Member since 2006 • 189 Posts

[QUOTE="GenTom"]I smell a MGS5 for the next gen of consoles if he has such ambitions.Ket87

MGS4 is supposed to be the finale of the series...

Kojima does make other IPs just MGS is the most famous by far. He will likely try something just as ambitious with something new instead of ressurecting MGS for no other reason than too try and push a console to its limits.

Yeah, that why he is dissapoited. He wanted the last MGS to be the best in all terms.

note: he was dissapointed with the graphic only, and not the gameplay.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 avataraang1

[QUOTE="GenTom"]I smell a MGS5 for the next gen of consoles if he has such ambitions.Star650

He never stated there wont be a next MGS game, all he said he doesn't want to direct it or get to involved in it.He just would be happy to produce the next game.

Umm he did state it was teh end of MGS
aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
What a way to sell you game lol.
ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

Why won't Kojima just come out and admit that he can't compete with other developers like Epic and Naughty Dog?

Instead of whinning like a little school girl.

If the game does not live up to they hype it is his fault, not the PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
[QUOTE="Star650"]

[QUOTE="GenTom"]I smell a MGS5 for the next gen of consoles if he has such ambitions.avataraang1

Umm he did state it was teh end of MGS

I read the Edge magazine of their coverage when they were invited to play the game and when they interviewed him he said this the end for Snake as for the series there could be new installments and he would like to produce it but not direct.

And this isn't the first time he said he doesn't want to make a MGS game MGS2&3 says hello although this time he could be serious

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Anyone remember a movie called Star Wars? Anyone remember how insanely popular it was/is? Anyone remember the remakes with added scenes that couldn't have been done previouosly because they lacked the technology to make it happen sooner? George Lucas had a vision that had to wait for the world to catch up in order for it to be realized. He's a creative genius, just as Kojima is.
ParadiseAwaits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ParadiseAwaits
Member since 2007 • 1410 Posts

Anyone remember a movie called Star Wars? Anyone remember how insanely popular it was/is? Anyone remember the remakes with added scenes that couldn't have been done previouosly because they lacked the technology to make it happen sooner? George Lucas had a vision that had to wait for the world to catch up in order for it to be realized. He's a creative genius, just as Kojima is.emitsu97

George Lucas is a friggin crack head...

but I see your argument.

However if Kojima honestly believes that the PS3 is the cause of all his grievance in his life, then he needs to adopt PC gaming and compete with Crysis.

plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts

[QUOTE="emitsu97"]Anyone remember a movie called Star Wars? Anyone remember how insanely popular it was/is? Anyone remember the remakes with added scenes that couldn't have been done previouosly because they lacked the technology to make it happen sooner? George Lucas had a vision that had to wait for the world to catch up in order for it to be realized. He's a creative genius, just as Kojima is.ParadiseAwaits

George Lucas is a friggin crack head...

but I see your argument.

However if Kojima honestly believes that the PS3 is the cause of all his grievance in his life, then he needs to adopt PC gaming and compete with Crysis.

He probably would have said the same even if he had the pc pc in the world to run his game on ... he just live in a world 10 years ahead of his.

I can understand the point that he wanted the game to be a bit more than it is though, can't blame him, everyone wish the same they are just not voicing it out loud

ktkiller626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ktkiller626
Member since 2004 • 312 Posts

Looking at Uncharted and how it only pushed 30 % of the CPU....then I look at MGS4 which is supposedly pushing th CPU to the limit..

WTF is Kojima on? Do you honestly expect the world to believe that rubbish?

The PS3 is supposed to be more powerful than the 360. It's supposed to have more potential!!

Yet, your telling me that games like Bioshock that make the MGS4 look the Perfect Dark - Zero is due to the PS3's hardware.

Kojima is crap. The man lacks the talent and the vison to show off graphics.

Look, I am not a graphics whore. MGS3 was a masterpiece. MGS4 will be good. Kojima just needs to suck it up and be happy and stop complaining.

Halo 3 had bad graphics, but it made up for it on gameplay.

Doing the best of both worlds is really hard. That's why Bioshock is just a campaign.

ParadiseAwaits

I agree with you, MGS4 looks great but im sure something after it will come out with even more amazing graphics, and ppl are gonna really gonna wonder if it used 100% of the ps3's power.

Galaxybear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Galaxybear
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts

I think people are being a bit silly. This guy wouldn't be satisfied with the hardware capabilities unless it was capable of creating life itself. Don't misconstrue this to mean he would have been more pleased with the results of working on a 360 and for those who would compare it to crysis, the PC wouldn't provide what he wanted either.

Have people not been watching gameplay like I have, it looks amazing and the full scope of game play is unbelievable... however I can understand that he had a much larger vision then could possibly be achieved, thats his tourment but our benefit becuase its people like that which push the boundaries on whats possible and though he's disappointed regular people are amazed.

For those of you have had the privilege to see Mount Rushmore, you might be surprised that the artist was disappointed in the result because he wanted full length bodies and Teddy Rosevelts head to be higher, and yet its still an astounding achievement.

IGDetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IGDetail
Member since 2005 • 6881 Posts
What kind of artist is EVER happy with how something turns out? It's hard to stop and say, "enough!" These developers are still working with a machine that hasn't been 100% realized... but who wants to wait a few more years for MGS4? NOT ME! At least the story will be to par with Kojima's vision.
azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
Didn't something like this happened with BlackSite: Area 51?
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

This find doesn't hinder my plans to get MGS4 one bit. It will be the very best game made for PS3 when it comes out. Maybe not at it's full potential like Kojima wanted but his efforts will showcase in the final product.

How many developlers/creators do you know would openly say this about their project? Not that many. Kojima can because he has proven his excellence from his past titles. I trust that MGS4 will be an excellent title.

If this kills the hype, then maybe people will stop downloading the beta and attempting to get the Konami and game ID. That way, I can easily get mine. :D

ktkiller626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ktkiller626

He better not bitc* now if sales take a hit cus of this. People are alaways talking about how it needs to sell soo many to rake in the benefits. But this honestly killed a little of the hype for me.

**ha i just realized that gamestop censors some words**

BigBoss712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 BigBoss712
Member since 2005 • 13742 Posts
^ Good point emitsu, I agree with you. He wanted to create something that its just not possible to do with the current technology. Kojima has been saying that for a long time, its nothing new so calm down guys. MGS4 will be a brilliant game non the less.
Akush47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Akush47
Member since 2005 • 1611 Posts
**** man! now im having second thoughts......
Torren2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Torren2
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
WoW he not only killed the ps3's expectancy by saying it's being pusheed to the limit right now and can deliver just that, so i guess no 10 year ps3 plan if it's already outlived it's purpose after like like 1 or 2 years depends where you live after it's release
ktkiller626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ktkiller626

Most of the people who have posted on this topic are just plain stupid. Kojima is a perfectionist, and artist. He showed disatisfaction with all of the mgs games prior to this one also and guess what? They are all widely known as being some of the greatest games ever to be created. And if you think that this is the first time Kojima or anyone else on the team have talked about the graphics then your wrong, I remember Ryan Payton stating on a podcast that they were sorry that they couldn't invest more into the graphics of the game to make it more like Gears of War but the budget couldn't fit that and all of the other amazing and new ideas they were putting into the game. And news flash but we've all known that the game doesn't have the BEST graphics for a while now! What has changed? Kojima only commented about the graphics and surprise surprise but they are the same exact graphics we've been seeing for a while now! Nothing new but then you all want to jump on some stupid bandwagon when the creator says that the graphics aren't as great as he so wished. Kojima wanted this game to be a breathing living thing that could jump out of the t.v. and fondle your coin purse and love you long time but it's a vision that just frankly could not be made done on any system. He wants to create something that won't be able to be made until the wave of the next gen consoles are released and at that time he'll want to make something impossible to make for that system too! Also, all of the previews for this game have done nothing but praise it and say that it's pretty much the Jesus of video games.Sephiroth169

i agree with you the graphics look amazing, but they not that much different of previous Metal Gear's. As an artist i have to agree with him thou, im never satisfied with my work even when i put it my all im never satisfied with it people should look at it from that point cus thats the point of view hes coming from.

IppotheFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 IppotheFighter
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts
Well for any game you can always do more.But still he should never say any bad things about his game when its not even released yet.
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts

Kojima is a genuis and he is probably my fav video game creator. It takes a lot to come forth and say that I never hear any onther creator state anything like this. It shows how humble he is. PeterTimpa

He is saying that the PS3 hindered him - not that he wasn't competent enough. How is this humble? He is laying the ground work for later saying - hey it wasn't my fault that this game failed or that people wasn't happy with it. He is smart and a business man - blaming it all on Sony - not related to being humble