Heavy Rain...Yes or No

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MGS-Mercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MGS-Mercenary
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

Well, I am all hyped about this game, the demo was pretty fun and i thought the environments and control integrations were like nothing done before. However, an 8.5, while it still retains the score of a good game, may not be enough to convince me to buy it. I want it so bad, it looks really fun, but then again I have always has good luck sticking with 9.0 games and higher and reached no disappointments. So, to those of you who have played it, should I get it or were you disappointed by...this game not being worth the money or too visually glitchy etc? Just let me know what you think.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

What I think is that you clearly have a lot of interest in it. You've played the demo, and you remain very interested. All that being said, I can't imagine why you're sitting here asking us what you should do.

You should be your foremost authority on games. You are interested, and remain so after playing the demo. That should be enough for you. If it's not, well, I guess you probably shouldn't buy it because you clearly aren't ready, and the word of random strangers should not be enough to change that.

I, personally, am blown away by the game. It is everything I hoped for, and it's totally living up to my high personal expectations.

Kandros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kandros
Member since 2006 • 528 Posts

since when does a GS score matter, or even everyother score mathers, if you loved the demo and you are hyped about the game, i dunno why an 8.5 is keeping u from buying it

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts
My favorite video game of this generation is Heavy Rain
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
This AAA stuff is really annoying why does every game have to score 9.0+ to be worth playing... its just some reviewer opinion on how HE liked the game... You said yourself that you liked the demo and your hyped so buy the game or rent it.
NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts

A RESOUNDING YES!!!!!

MGS-Mercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MGS-Mercenary
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

Thanks guys, normally I do put my own authority into buying games, but I can never decide anything, and seeing people who share my internal YES does help me realize it is a game worth getting.

SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SamuRai_JeDi
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
haven't played it, but i refuse to spend $60.00 on a real-time on screen button tapping movie that I'd never play again.
commandercrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#9 commandercrap
Member since 2006 • 318 Posts

Well, I am all hyped about this game, the demo was pretty fun and i thought the environments and control integrations were like nothing done before. However, an 8.5, while it still retains the score of a good game, may not be enough to convince me to buy it. I want it so bad, it looks really fun, but then again I have always has good luck sticking with 9.0 games and higher and reached no disappointments. So, to those of you who have played it, should I get it or were you disappointed by...this game not being worth the money or too visually glitchy etc? Just let me know what you think.

MGS-Mercenary

I wouldn't take a critic's score as my final say. Either way, an 8.5, are you nuts? That means it's a GREAT game, so why the skepticism?

stack1109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stack1109
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

haven't played it, but i refuse to spend $60.00 on a real-time on screen button tapping movie that I'd never play again.SamuRai_JeDi

How do you know you wouldn't play it again if you're not going to play it to begin with? :S Personally, I cant wait to get my hands on it tomorrow, regardless of whether I play it 50 more times or not!!! :D

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts
It's quite good so far... the controls are good & easy to get used to. I only managed to play for about 15 mins, so I can't wait to get into it tonight!
SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SamuRai_JeDi
Besides a review scores are just somebody's opinion.
GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

If you don't get Heavy Rain, the government should revoke your PS3.

SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SamuRai_JeDi
I have only played a few games more than a few times in my lifetime and Heavy Rain wouldn't be one of them.

[QUOTE="SamuRai_JeDi"]haven't played it, but i refuse to spend $60.00 on a real-time on screen button tapping movie that I'd never play again.stack1109

How do you know you wouldn't play it again if you're not going to play it to begin with? :S Personally, I cant wait to get my hands on it tomorrow, regardless of whether I play it 50 more times or not!!! :D

Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
It's a terrible game but an amazing experience.Something you have to try out no doubt!
3rdbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 3rdbass
Member since 2009 • 3301 Posts

MGS-Mercenary

so you like to play scores? Lol. I play what I think I like. If there is a game I'm really lukewarm about I will read reviews and then decide but that is more reading about the pros and cons of the game and not the score. I definitely wouldn't just go with one review from one source. If money is tight just wait until the price drops otherwise get it now an don't look back.

digitalman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 digitalman42
Member since 2007 • 888 Posts

I use to feel the same way. But Gamespot scores arent what they use to be. Back in the day when they had the canadian guy doing the reviews they were really good. Now sometimes they just dont make sense. I use to buy 9.0+ games only also. But not when it comes to gamespot anymore. I bought Heavy Rain and feel it was worth it.

MGS-Mercenary

SamuRai_JeDi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SamuRai_JeDi
They should make the review system like it was. There's a big difference between a 9 and an 8.6 etc.
CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CleanNJerk

If you don't get Heavy Rain, the government should revoke your PS3.

GingerDeadMan
I agree. But instead of the government The origami killer should drown his PS3, in heavy rain ;)
CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CleanNJerk
It's a terrible game but an amazing experience.Something you have to try out no doubt! Keir21
Not a terrible game.... Very much an amazing experience.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
Honestly, RENT it. Here is the thing about Heavy Rain... it's a one trick, 8-10 hour pony. Sure, the game's big plot twist and overall story are breathtaking, they are only breathtaking the FIRST TIME. This game is all about shock value. Second of all, I think it should be punishable by death to make a possible ending that is as unsatisfying as the ending I got. I won't spoil it for you, but it made EVERY SINGLE THING I'd done so far seem completely worthless, like I had legit wasted the last 9 hours of my life! That shouldn't be a possibility, period. It would be as though a game like Demon's Souls or Uncharted wouldn't let you play the last level because it didn't like how much damage you took throughout the beginning and the middle of the game. Second, the game relies too much on timed puzzles, in which you have to manually take control of the character, but the controls fall far beyond flat. They aren't good unless you can meander leisurely around. Finally, you probably won't go through the game again. Once you experience all the bits there are to the game, you won't be compelled to relive it. There are too many sequences that are just plain boring, and you won't want to relive them, but in order to get any kind of experience out of it, you have to play the whole thing again. In short, rent it, but don't spend 60 bucks on it. A decent game, with some HORRENDOUS potential endings that you won't want to play again anytime soon.
ks1990steelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ks1990steelman
Member since 2009 • 1418 Posts
Heavy Rain...Yes or NoMGS-Mercenary
NO... This game is not for me but it's a great game with great story!
beekayjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 beekayjay
Member since 2008 • 1732 Posts
Yes. Its not perfect, but its very involving. If you are a person open to new experiences, and kind of bored of the same old video game conventions, try it at least once. Its not a game for everyone though.
commandercrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 commandercrap

Yes. Its not perfect, but its very involving. If you are a person open to new experiences, and kind of bored of the same old video game conventions, try it at least once. Its not a game for everyone though.beekayjay

+1 for new experiences 8)

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Boo @ you not picking up games because they land under 9.0

Keir21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 Keir21
Member since 2006 • 5918 Posts
[QUOTE="Keir21"]It's a terrible game but an amazing experience.Something you have to try out no doubt! CleanNJerk
Not a terrible game.... Very much an amazing experience.

Personally I think if the story sucked nobody would touch it.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

MGS-Mercenary
It is averageing a 9 which is amazing when you consider the type of game that it is. My copy should arrive tomorrow!!!!
InfamousJihad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 InfamousJihad
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
yes, all i hear is good things for the most part and i've thought it looked amazing since i first saw footage on G4
Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
I got three words for you BUY THAT GAME!!!!
This AAA stuff is really annoying why does every game have to score 9.0+ to be worth playing... its just some reviewer opinion on how HE liked the game... You said yourself that you liked the demo and your hyped so buy the game or rent it.-Hoax-
Lol omg thank you!! Plus gs always gives bad scores and it shouldn't be about the score anyway it should be about what's said in the review than anything...all that matters is if the game is. Good or bad to you no one else...my friend said he can't get this game because he hates that you have to pressR2 to walk lol I pity him and his missing out on such a great game
aka_Static

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aka_Static
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

After beating it the first time, the story had me hooked and (somewhat) surprised me when the twist rolled around. I couldn't stop playing it and I was completely satisfied with my ending..that being said, I don't really feel that there's any reason to buy the game. You already know the major plot points after the initial play through. The only reason I'm playing it again is because I'm a trophy whore...and I've got to say that it loses a lot of its momentum when you know whats ultimately going to happen. It's fun playing the intense chapters over again to see the different outcomes, but it's not enough motivationto start the game from the very beginning all over again. I can imagine those first chapters being very monotonous..especially if you played the demo a lot.

For me, I feel that it's in the same boat as MGS4...I thoroughly loved my experience inside and out, but I'll be damned to play through all those cutscenes and moot tasks again...it almost feels like a chore.

I'd rent it first if I were you. If you beat it and still want more, then sure, buy it. The decisions yours, not ours.

Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts

I don't think advice from strangers are going to alter your decision. I mean you could ask a gamestop employee the same question, and he'll say it buy it etc. If you liked the demo and you still have an interest in the game, then I don't see why you wouldn't like it.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
Rent it or wait for a price drop... after beating this once or twice you'll probably never play it again.
JudgementEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#33 JudgementEden
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

What I think is that you clearly have a lot of interest in it. You've played the demo, and you remain very interested. All that being said, I can't imagine why you're sitting here asking us what you should do.

You should be your foremost authority on games. You are interested, and remain so after playing the demo. That should be enough for you. If it's not, well, I guess you probably shouldn't buy it because you clearly aren't ready, and the word of random strangers should not be enough to change that.

I, personally, am blown away by the game. It is everything I hoped for, and it's totally living up to my high personal expectations.

nyc05
Agreed, get it, I enjoyed it immensely.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
If you value story in your games and place it as a high priority, this game is a must-own. If story is just a minor factor for you, give it a rent and try it out first. If you don't give a crap about story and generally just want to frag people/aliens/things, don't bother.
GeneralHawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 GeneralHawx
Member since 2009 • 1853 Posts
Sure go for it but I won't be getting it as I don't like sitting and pushing a couple of buttons I need a fast action game
Abecale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Abecale
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Honestly, RENT it. Here is the thing about Heavy Rain... it's a one trick, 8-10 hour pony. Sure, the game's big plot twist and overall story are breathtaking, they are only breathtaking the FIRST TIME. This game is all about shock value. Second of all, I think it should be punishable by death to make a possible ending that is as unsatisfying as the ending I got. I won't spoil it for you, but it made EVERY SINGLE THING I'd done so far seem completely worthless, like I had legit wasted the last 9 hours of my life! That shouldn't be a possibility, period. It would be as though a game like Demon's Souls or Uncharted wouldn't let you play the last level because it didn't like how much damage you took throughout the beginning and the middle of the game. Second, the game relies too much on timed puzzles, in which you have to manually take control of the character, but the controls fall far beyond flat. They aren't good unless you can meander leisurely around. Finally, you probably won't go through the game again. Once you experience all the bits there are to the game, you won't be compelled to relive it. There are too many sequences that are just plain boring, and you won't want to relive them, but in order to get any kind of experience out of it, you have to play the whole thing again. In short, rent it, but don't spend 60 bucks on it. A decent game, with some HORRENDOUS potential endings that you won't want to play again anytime soon.Essian

Okay, im disecting this massive block of text.

Its only a one trick, 8-10 hour pony if you make it so. Its mutliple endings and different story paths pretty much mean you play it multiple times to see and achieve everything, as well as episodic little downloadable content extra's. Makes your statement void.

You only got one of the mutliple endings, play through it again to get a good one, you probably killed off a main character or done some things to change the ending.

Meander leusurely around, so thats why the controls feel flat? Okay, lets take the games setting into account, a murderer is on the loose, your the frantic father trying to save his son before he dies, would you 'Meander leusurely around' if this situation happened to you? Of course not, there is always the sense of urgency, to constantly let you 'wander around everywhere' would just be stupid.

This game is personal taste, everyone was saying its 'an interactive movie' experience, which is what it is, everyone knew that going into the game. To complain that, 'You have to complete the whole game again' should be implied, if you had common sense.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#37 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
If you're really concerned about scores, most sites are giving it a 9.0 or higher. But yeah, if you liked the demo, buy the game. The full game so far is just amazing. It's been a long time since I've seen direction in a video game this good.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#38 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
[QUOTE="Essian"]Honestly, RENT it. Here is the thing about Heavy Rain... it's a one trick, 8-10 hour pony. Sure, the game's big plot twist and overall story are breathtaking, they are only breathtaking the FIRST TIME. This game is all about shock value. Second of all, I think it should be punishable by death to make a possible ending that is as unsatisfying as the ending I got. I won't spoil it for you, but it made EVERY SINGLE THING I'd done so far seem completely worthless, like I had legit wasted the last 9 hours of my life! That shouldn't be a possibility, period. It would be as though a game like Demon's Souls or Uncharted wouldn't let you play the last level because it didn't like how much damage you took throughout the beginning and the middle of the game. Second, the game relies too much on timed puzzles, in which you have to manually take control of the character, but the controls fall far beyond flat. They aren't good unless you can meander leisurely around. Finally, you probably won't go through the game again. Once you experience all the bits there are to the game, you won't be compelled to relive it. There are too many sequences that are just plain boring, and you won't want to relive them, but in order to get any kind of experience out of it, you have to play the whole thing again. In short, rent it, but don't spend 60 bucks on it. A decent game, with some HORRENDOUS potential endings that you won't want to play again anytime soon.

Oh speak for yourself. I definitely plan on playing the game a second time...
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
yes its mastrepiece
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I love this game so far it just has me hooked.

M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#41 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

I came across no such visual glitches. I'm renting it though

clance1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clance1
Member since 2009 • 292 Posts

get it. It should have been an 10/10. Wow what an experience!

Gr1m505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gr1m505
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Definitely give this a try one way or another, I just finished it a few hours ago and all I have to say is it was a superb expierence, excellent story, and completley shocked me with the plot twist. Its hard to explain but this "game" gets your heart pounding just as much as any other type of game you have ever played if not more.

dinjo_jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#44 dinjo_jo
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts
YES
commandercrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 commandercrap

Honestly, RENT it. Here is the thing about Heavy Rain... it's a one trick, 8-10 hour pony. Sure, the game's big plot twist and overall story are breathtaking, they are only breathtaking the FIRST TIME. This game is all about shock value. Second of all, I think it should be punishable by death to make a possible ending that is as unsatisfying as the ending I got. I won't spoil it for you, but it made EVERY SINGLE THING I'd done so far seem completely worthless, like I had legit wasted the last 9 hours of my life! That shouldn't be a possibility, period. It would be as though a game like Demon's Souls or Uncharted wouldn't let you play the last level because it didn't like how much damage you took throughout the beginning and the middle of the game. Second, the game relies too much on timed puzzles, in which you have to manually take control of the character, but the controls fall far beyond flat. They aren't good unless you can meander leisurely around. Finally, you probably won't go through the game again. Once you experience all the bits there are to the game, you won't be compelled to relive it. There are too many sequences that are just plain boring, and you won't want to relive them, but in order to get any kind of experience out of it, you have to play the whole thing again. In short, rent it, but don't spend 60 bucks on it. A decent game, with some HORRENDOUS potential endings that you won't want to play again anytime soon.Essian

You can start the game from any chapter you want after you beat it once, so you don't have to go through everything all over again.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
So, I just played the demo. Somebody please tell me that you can change the walking controls in the game. It feels super awkward and could very well be a game breaker for me.
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
So, I just played the demo. Somebody please tell me that you can change the walking controls in the game. It feels super awkward and could very well be a game breaker for me.nethernova
No you cant change the controls.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
No you cant change the controls.-Hoax-
Well, that's a disappointment. I have serious problems with characters that are controlled like racing cars. I played the part of the demo with that fat guy (Shelby?) and after I talked to that woman I tried to leave the room for around 5 minutes without success because instead of walking to the door I was running around the kitchen table.
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

YES YES YES

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Heavy Rain is among the few I've bought at the price range being between about 90-100$ and not felt a slight regret afterwards when I've sat down and played it. You either love the game or you hate it, as for me...I love it and whatever hype I had for it was well satisfied if not surpassed..