HDD Upgrade Formatting Help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for UnknownPerson55
UnknownPerson55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UnknownPerson55
Member since 2004 • 1232 Posts

Just wondering how to format a new hdd for the ps3, never done it before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280 not 500gb, but its fast for a labtop drive.

everything else in the installation is easy. only problem may be the alluminum screws being stripped, just have to be extra careful.

UnknownPerson55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UnknownPerson55
anyone know if u can back up ur old files onto a labtop?
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
anyone know if u can back up ur old files onto a labtop?UnknownPerson55
No you can't. To format your new HDD in your PS3 just put it in and you will be prompted to automatically format.
UnknownPerson55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UnknownPerson55
[QUOTE="UnknownPerson55"]anyone know if u can back up ur old files onto a labtop?Duckman5
No you can't. To format your new HDD in your PS3 just put it in and you will be prompted to automatically format.

what if i use transfer cables http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=transfer+cables like those^
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Duckman5
Yeah you could then I guess but what would you do with the backup data after that? (Oh and I recommend just getting an external enclosure)
UnknownPerson55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UnknownPerson55
Yeah you could then I guess but what would you do with the backup data after that? (Oh and I recommend just getting an external enclosure)Duckman5
im too cheap for that :lol: probably copy them back to the system, idk if itll let me copy everything tho, some of the game saves are copy protected (nfs carbon). ill look for some cheap external drives once i stop being cheap :p
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

anyone know if u can back up ur old files onto a labtop?UnknownPerson55

No, but you can backup your files to an external USB drive.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="Duckman5"]Yeah you could then I guess but what would you do with the backup data after that? (Oh and I recommend just getting an external enclosure)UnknownPerson55
im too cheap for that :lol: probably copy them back to the system, idk if itll let me copy everything tho, some of the game saves are copy protected (nfs carbon). ill look for some cheap external drives once i stop being cheap :p

If you have an old hard drive lying around, you can get a cheap usb external case and just put the HD in it. Bam! Cheap external drive.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Duckman5
Actually I meant something like this where you put your old drive into the enclosure and turn it into an external drive. However you won't be able to get your data from one drive to another using only 2 internal drives without a lot of work. (Trust me because the PS3 internal drive has to be in a different format than the external backup drive. It gets complicated)
UnknownPerson55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UnknownPerson55

i only have 3gb of files i want to keep, which i can fit onto my psp's memory card. ill just have to reinstall mgs4, which isnt a problem since it does it every mission reguardless.

ty for help