Having problems with my network / internet connection.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MPD815
Member since 2007 • 139 Posts

I use to have DSL and played online with no problems. Then I switch and got a cable connection. Once I hooked up the wire to my PS3 it was working fine and I was able to play online, But now I cant connect. And I did test connection test first the IP address wasnt working it failed so I put the right number down and that worked but then the DNS failed and so I went and found out the number for my DNS and I put it in my PS3 but it still fails. What do I do now ? How can I fix this ?

MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MPD815
also when I click on automatic to set everything up it keeps failing but saying my IP address failed even thou when I plug it in before manually it worked
MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MPD815
bump
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

I don't have a real ansewer to this problem but it could have something to do with the way your IP is handleing the data. You may want to call there tech support and see if there is something that they need to change on there end.

MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MPD815
I hope thats it thanks for the info.
Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts

I use to have DSL and played online with no problems. Then I switch and got a cable connection. Once I hooked up the wire to my PS3 it was working fine and I was able to play online, But now I cant connect. And I did test connection test first the IP address wasnt working it failed so I put the right number down and that worked but then the DNS failed and so I went and found out the number for my DNS and I put it in my PS3 but it still fails. What do I do now ? How can I fix this ?

MPD815

When you say number, you don't by chance mean the IP Address (the one in the form of #.#.#.#) do you? The reason I ask is that unless you picked a pretty far out one, you could be experiencing an IP conflict. Here's how this works. The router has a collection of addresses it assigns. It keeps track of the addresses it (and it alone) assigns to make sure that it doesn't assign the same address to more than one machine at a time. If you assign one of its addresses w/o, effectivley, letting the router know not to assign it to something else, it will do exactly that and you'll end up with an IP Address conflict.

The simple solution here is to tell the PS3 to let the router handle it (also called Dynamic Address), rather than force one through manually (static address). You'll just have to let everything be assigned automatically, from the address of the PS3 to the address of the router. It should be able to find all this on it own.

brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

Your first problem is that the PS3 is currently set to have a dynamic (auto assigned) IP address which doesn't stay the same. You need to assign what's called a static (semi-permanent) IP address.

You may need to put your PS3 into your routers DMZ.

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

MPD815
I wis I could offer you assistance but the PS3 bugz out with me also when trying to go online. So the PS3 network issues continue....
hilltops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hilltops
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts
[QUOTE="MPD815"]

gamer082009
I wis I could offer you assistance but the PS3 bugz out with me also when trying to go online. So the PS3 network issues continue....

i swear this is the second time i have seen you post "the network issues continue" ..give it a rest dude :roll:
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer082009"][QUOTE="MPD815"]

hilltops

i swear this is the second time i have seen you post "the network issues continue" ..give it a rest dude :roll:

his a 360 fanboy thats why.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer082009"][QUOTE="MPD815"]

hilltops

I know, that's the whole idea :roll:
MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MPD815
[QUOTE="MPD815"]

elemental_drago

When you say number, you don't by chance mean the IP Address (the one in the form of #.#.#.#) do you? The reason I ask is that unless you picked a pretty far out one, you could be experiencing an IP conflict. Here's how this works. The router has a collection of addresses it assigns. It keeps track of the addresses it (and it alone) assigns to make sure that it doesn't assign the same address to more than one machine at a time. If you assign one of its addresses w/o, effectivley, letting the router know not to assign it to something else, it will do exactly that and you'll end up with an IP Address conflict.

The simple solution here is to tell the PS3 to let the router handle it (also called Dynamic Address), rather than force one through manually (static address). You'll just have to let everything be assigned automatically, from the address of the PS3 to the address of the router. It should be able to find all this on it own.

My IP address works when I put the number in manually but when I do that and run the test connection IP address passes but my DNS keeps failing

NFLando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NFLando
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

have u tried to input ur DNS numbers manually? I had to do this with my wireless connection, so it may b the same for cable...

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&thread.id=22354

just make sure u use ur own DNS numbers rather than theirs cos that wont work.

elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 elemental_drago
[QUOTE="elemental_drago"][QUOTE="MPD815"]

MPD815

My IP address works when I put the number in manually but when I do that and run the test connection IP address passes but my DNS keeps failing

I still think that dynamic addressing is the way to go. Static has its bonuses, but only in the corporate situations I work in. For home use, I always set all my equipment to dynamic. It tends to be less of a headache. ;) (and trust me, even for all the bonuses of using ranges of static IP Addresses at work, it's still a headache to implement)

brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts
[QUOTE="MPD815"][QUOTE="elemental_drago"][QUOTE="MPD815"]

elemental_drago

I still think that dynamic addressing is the way to go. Static has its bonuses, but only in the corporate situations I work in. For home use, I always set all my equipment to dynamic. It tends to be less of a headache. ;) (and trust me, even for all the bonuses of using ranges of static IP Addresses at work, it's still a headache to implement)

You CANNOT use a dynamic IP address for DMZ, unless you just want to have to put in a different IP address in the DMZ every time you turn on your PS3.

Static IP address is manually configured to use the same IP address each time it connects.

Dynamic IP address - the computer's IP address is assigned automatically (when the system / console is turned on).

MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MPD815
[QUOTE="MPD815"][QUOTE="elemental_drago"][QUOTE="MPD815"]

elemental_drago

So how do I switch from Static to Dynamic ?

MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MPD815
Also I've tried almost evyerthing possible and yet it still doesnt work. The network people from PS3 told me to restore my PS3 and start it all over.... didnt work....... then told me to let PS3 to do it by turning everything on automatic...... guess what didnt work..... then said put the numbers in manually...... what a shocker still doesnt work..... WTF !!!!!!!!!!
MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MPD815
bump
BlueTsujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BlueTsujin
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts

Well, make sure that the IP address you are using isn't already assigned to something else. So if your computer is 192.168.1.102, then make your PS3's IP address some thing like 192.168.1.106. Then the DNS should be the same as what your computers is.

You are using a router, correct? I just read your post again and saw you never mentioned it. Are you plugging the PS3 directly to the modem?

MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MPD815

Well, make sure that the IP address you are using isn't already assigned to something else. So if your computer is 192.168.1.102, then make your PS3's IP address some thing like 192.168.1.106. Then the DNS should be the same as what your computers is.

You are using a router, correct? I just read your post again and saw you never mentioned it. Are you plugging the PS3 directly to the modem?

BlueTsujin

Yea I'm plugging directly from the modem. it worked before but doesnt anymore

elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 elemental_drago
[QUOTE="elemental_drago"][QUOTE="MPD815"][QUOTE="elemental_drago"][QUOTE="MPD815"]

brotherreese

You CANNOT use a dynamic IP address for DMZ, unless you just want to have to put in a different IP address in the DMZ every time you turn on your PS3.

Static IP address is manually configured to use the same IP address each time it connects.

Dynamic IP address - the computer's IP address is assigned automatically (when the system / console is turned on).

Trust me, I have a strong understanding of networking concepts, but remember, this person is at home. Very few people need full blown networks at home (far less than those who think they do at least :P ) and form the sounds of it, this person doesn't even own a router (no offense to the TC. That is quite fine. Once again, it is a home network, and you can get by perfectly fine w/o one.)

Point being, forget the DMZ. Forget Static addresses. Forget servers and complicated routing situations. It's a person at their house. Although possible, this would (probably) be serious overkill.

Now to answer the TC's question, you can probably just set it back to default settings, but if your not comfortable with that (I wouldn't be either, just for the record) go to settings-network settings-wired connection, then just pick "automatic" at the prompts.

MPD815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MPD815
It has to be my internet provider because I just hooked up a wireless router and when I click test connection it still came up and said DNS error so I have to call them if that doesnt work then I have no F***ing clue what to do.