Has Oblivion changed the way you feel about JRPG's?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Logan832
Member since 2006 • 2168 Posts

I used to be a big Japenese stlye RPG fan, until I played Oblivion. I just couldn't see myself going back to games like Final Fantasy. For a few reasons.

>I will feel to confined, (by having to take paths) It will seem to boring, being so limited on what things you can do.

>Ill have to go back to the take-turn system (unless they put the real time combat system in again but make it less sucky, (Final Fantasy 12))

>Doesn't give me enough to do ever since I played already 100+ hours of Oblivion (sad I know lol)

How about you guys? Also, does anyone know of any more RPG's that will a sandbox type game, like Oblivion?

SirRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SirRaven
Member since 2005 • 934 Posts

I actually feel the opposite way. I still prefer the japanese RPGs and I horribly dislike the idea of roaming for hours on end just trying to find what you are supposed to do. I play video games mostly for their narratives, the same reason I watch movies. That's why I love games like MGS. When I play a game like Oblivion or GTA, I play to advance th story, not piss away hours walking in circles because the game is "open".

I much prefer the stories that japanese RPGs have and really transport you to that world in question as to a game relying on your interactions with virtual characters to set the atmosphere. I understand how you feel though, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Logan832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Logan832
Member since 2006 • 2168 Posts
Im not saying I just like to wander around for hours, it's just that there are soooo many caves/dungeons you can go to.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
nope, if you want a good story, JRPGs are still the best bet. Like everything else, Oblivion has its pros and cons. Sure, the world is huge, but there's so much empty stuff.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
no, but it did change the way i feel about zelda games. i wish there was a zleda game that was that huge, instead of the claustrophobic hyrule field.
frankdust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 frankdust
Member since 2004 • 74 Posts
Two World
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts
I've always prefered realtime combat and open ended world design and I like how Oblivion's enhanced journal system lets you know where you are supposed to go next as opposed to Morrowind where you really have to explore forever to find anything. I wish that someone would make a game that was open like Oblivion but had the quality narratives that JRPGs have.
ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghaleon0721
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts

I actually feel the opposite way. I still prefer the japanese RPGs and I horribly dislike the idea of roaming for hours on end just trying to find what you are supposed to do. I play video games mostly for their narratives, the same reason I watch movies. That's why I love games like MGS. When I play a game like Oblivion or GTA, I play to advance th story, not piss away hours walking in circles because the game is "open".

I much prefer the stories that japanese RPGs have and really transport you to that world in question as to a game relying on your interactions with virtual characters to set the atmosphere. I understand how you feel though, it's just a matter of personal preference.

SirRaven
Amen
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Oblivion isn't an RPG.
ocelotcougar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 ocelotcougar
Member since 2005 • 2099 Posts
Oblivion isn't an RPG.emitsu97
Yes, it is, in the sense that you level up, and Earth to Emitsu, if you think about it, all games are RPGs considering you put yourself in a different role. 
FireFalkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireFalkon
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts

I used to be a big Japenese stlye RPG fan, until I played Oblivion. I just couldn't see myself going back to games like Final Fantasy. For a few reasons.

>I will feel to confined, (by having to take paths) It will seem to boring, being so limited on what things you can do.

>Ill have to go back to the take-turn system (unless they put the real time combat system in again but make it less sucky, (Final Fantasy 12))

>Doesn't give me enough to do ever since I played already 100+ hours of Oblivion (sad I know lol)

How about you guys? Also, does anyone know of any more RPG's that will a sandbox type game, like Oblivion?

Logan832

i did like oblivion's freedom and combat system but it's setting and story have no appeal IMO, it's the same old generic medieval rpg from the 80's,i prefer JRPGs unique style and original stories, add to that the fact that in oblivion you're alone while in JRPGs you fight with your party and all

maybe someday we'll see an rpg that has the best of both worlds, until then i'll keep playing FF until square make a new Chrono game

VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 VVatson
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

I love Oblivion, and I will continue to say it is an amazing game and possibly one of my favorite games ever.

However...

I am really itching to play a true turn-based RPG.  Final Fantasy 12 was like my least favorite final fantasy ever.  I hated the game play; which is sad because the story seemed amazing.  I played for about 10 to 15 hours and just couldn't take it anymore.

So I am just waiting for a true to the genre JRPG.

guyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 guyhunter
Member since 2004 • 3691 Posts
Wha... there are plenty of times in Oblivion that you fight in a party, you just don't control the other characters.

As for me; Oblivion is probably the best game I've played fullstop I love it!  Will that stop me playing JRPGs?  Hell no!
alpax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 alpax
Member since 2006 • 696 Posts
Oblvion had no affect on my feeling twoards JRPGS. I eventually got sick of playing too many JRPG(s). I only stick with JRPG(s) made by Namco.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 emitsu97

[QUOTE="emitsu97"]Oblivion isn't an RPG.ocelotcougar
Yes, it is, in the sense that you level up, and Earth to Emitsu, if you think about it, all games are RPGs considering you put yourself in a different role.

:lol: No kidding.  In terms of traditional development and execution Oblivion is not an RPG.  Understandably RPG stands for Role Playing Game which makes every game in the history of games, including 4 year olds playing cops & robbers, astronauts or cowboys an RPG.  Try to discuss within the context of console defined RPG's.

hamorhage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 hamorhage
Member since 2005 • 105 Posts

I think its good to have the two options. My preference goes to JRPGs. As most people said the story is the main reason why i play JRPGs. Oblivion doesn't feature any crazy funky characters and impossible plots. It's like asking if you prefer Hollywood films over japanese anime. Give me anime anytimes, and that's why I'll always vote for JRPGs!
Although I admit I haven't played Oblivion yet, I think it looks very "plain". I did enjoy games like Star Wars: knights of the Old Republic though so I might like Oblivion aswell. Nonetheless I can't wait untill I get my hands on White Knight for the PS3!

Infinatey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Infinatey
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts

I played oblivion....and I could not stand it.

1.  I hate the leveling system. No random loot? No random-leveled items?

2. Too many options. After making a guy...I often felt "oh...I should have gone with this birth sign instead" or "this major" instead.

It's made me appreciate JRPGS more.

mrxb0x360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrxb0x360
Member since 2005 • 5253 Posts

Oblivion isn't an RPG.emitsu97

Your joking,right?

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#19 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts

oblivion is wack IMO. it has to be the mid evil theme becasue thats corney and nerdy to me, maybe if it was futuriestic or somehting i might of been really intrested, but i wouldn't even let it get near my FF games which are goat games.

Logan832
falconzss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 falconzss
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

Logan832

no it hasn't. i can't wait to get my hands on the first good JRPG for the ps3. i love the storytelling of JRPG's and their style. oblivion is good but i prefer other kinds of rpg's.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emitsu97

[QUOTE="emitsu97"]Oblivion isn't an RPG.mrxb0x360

Your joking,right?

Nope.  It's a Medieval FPS with a twist of character customization and stat tracking.  Choose 3rd person to turn it into a Medieval GTA with a twist of character customization and stat tracking.

SirRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SirRaven
Member since 2005 • 934 Posts

Nope.  It's a Medieval FPS with a twist of character customization and stat tracking.  Choose 3rd person to turn it into a Medieval GTA with a twist of character customization and stat tracking. emitsu97

By traditional RPG means, you go on quest after quest, dungeon crawl, gain loot/money, level up, talk to townsfolk, and gain experience. By traditional FPS, you shoot your way through stages (or singular stage) by managing ammunition and maneuvering passed the mass ambushes of enemies.

It is an RPG, despite being a cousin of the genre, it's still a RPG. I'm close to differentiating them as Western RPG vs Eastern RPG.

E_x_i_l_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 E_x_i_l_e
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts
No, this game actually made me crave final fantasy even more than I  already did, I thought this game was kind of boring. Plus, the characters looks REALLY awkward..
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emitsu97
By traditional RPG means, you go on quest after quest, dungeon crawl, gain loot/money, level up, talk to townsfolk, and gain experience. By traditional FPS, you shoot your way through stages (or singular stage) by managing ammunition and maneuvering passed the mass ambushes of enemies.

It is an RPG, despite being a cousin of the genre, it's still a RPG. I'm close to differentiating them as Western RPG vs Eastern RPG.SirRaven

IMO it most closely plays like Zelda which happens to be classified as an Action Adventure crossed with GTA with a Medieval theme.  The only thing RPG about it is the character leveling.  It's akin to what was in both MUA and Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom.

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#25 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

[QUOTE="emitsu97"]Nope.  It's a Medieval FPS with a twist of character customization and stat tracking.  Choose 3rd person to turn it into a Medieval GTA with a twist of character customization and stat tracking. SirRaven

By traditional RPG means, you go on quest after quest, dungeon crawl, gain loot/money, level up, talk to townsfolk, and gain experience. By traditional FPS, you shoot your way through stages (or singular stage) by managing ammunition and maneuvering passed the mass ambushes of enemies.

It is an RPG, despite being a cousin of the genre, it's still a RPG. I'm close to differentiating them as Western RPG vs Eastern RPG.

Agreed.

Oblivion is just a Western-style RPG.

Pixelgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pixelgen
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
I'm sorry but no one does an RPG like the Japaness do. Oblivion looks good, but really do I want to spend 200hours wounder what to do next...
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#27 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i think people are giving its mission structure a bad rap. if you know how to read, then you should have no trouble figuring out were to go next in oblivion.
Avatar image for Password1233456
Password1233456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Password1233456
Member since 2006 • 335 Posts
yes, it made me grateful that japanese rpgs exist....oblivion is junk
Christian399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Christian399
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts

I'm slightly regretting my second purchase of this game.  First time it was for the PC.  While I give the folks at Bethseda accolades for making the framerates and graphics BETTER than my rig (7800gtx 512, AM2 4600+ dual core processor, 4 gigs of RAM - a nice beast); the game still possesses all that it had on the PC. 

This includes a lackluster storyline.  A strangely sparse world populated by ugly, ugly people. (Seriously, what happened? Is this some Terry Brooks, post-apocolypse fantasy setting where everyone was mutated by radiation?) Oh, and the "enemies level with you" defeats the sense of accomplishment that comes with creating a powerful character. 

I also agree with an earlier poster that it feels and plays more like an FPS than an RPG or Action RPG. A good example of this is the awkward implimentation of the "third person" mode.  I can see my character running around now, but have no crosshairs, auto-target or ability to hit things with that f**ked up camera.

In Oblivion's defence, the environments are pretty. That's really about it. 

Cheers,

-C 

Handin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Handin
Member since 2004 • 423 Posts

SirRaven

Oblivion is an outstanding game, but I agree with your opinion. I prefer games with a set path. 

setyono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 setyono
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts

No, this game actually made me crave final fantasy even more than I already did, I thought this game was kind of boring. Plus, the characters looks REALLY awkward.. E_x_i_l_e

i concur 

treebark_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 treebark_basic
Member since 2002 • 304 Posts
im just starting oblivion and im about 2 hours in.  I'm having a ton of fun but right when i got out of the sewers i was quite overwhelmed.  Im having fun but im just adjusting.  It hasnt changed my views on jrpgs at all.  I find that even though they have some similar characteristics, a traditional JRPG and oblivion are almost uncomparable.  This open oblivion type RPG is in a new class of rpgs.  I dont play God of war 2 and have it change the way i view super paper mario.  They're just difft.
firestorm91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 firestorm91
Member since 2006 • 4538 Posts
This is probably on the RPG I'm gonna like until another comes along like this one. :D
bsin94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bsin94
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts
I don't mind either WRPG or JRPG, in fact, I enjoy both of the genres. People need to realize that although the gameplay are different, they both can still be enjoyed.
StrifeZephyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrifeZephyr
Member since 2005 • 315 Posts
[QUOTE="SirRaven"]

ghaleon0721
Amen

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

I'm sorry but no one does an RPG like the Japaness do. Oblivion looks good, but really do I want to spend 200hours wounder what to do next...Pixelgen

yes... I do...

chubear700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 chubear700
Member since 2003 • 1945 Posts

Logan832
Erm, I don't get it. Why do you feel you can only play one type of genre or the other? Surely if you played JRPGs there were things about them you enjoyed so... why do you feel you have to stop playing JRPGs just because you just found out that you also really enjoy WRPGs?
Tetsumori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tetsumori
Member since 2005 • 126 Posts
FFXII is a good game...
CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts

SirRaven

I see your point and both types of RPG's have their pros and cons but Oblivion is not another aimless, oversized RPG like Morrowind. It has a linear main quest and the side and main quests have clear instructions and waypoints to show you exactly where to go. Oblivion really doesn't have any problems other than some technical glitches. It's one of the most finely designed games in many years.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
Nah, I'm used to wrpgs and I love both subgenres. But playing all this Oblivion has put me into jrpg withdrawl :P
CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts

[QUOTE="ocelotcougar"][QUOTE="emitsu97"]Oblivion isn't an RPG.emitsu97

:lol: No kidding.  In terms of traditional development and execution Oblivion is not an RPG.  Understandably RPG stands for Role Playing Game which makes every game in the history of games, including 4 year olds playing cops & robbers, astronauts or cowboys an RPG.  Try to discuss within the context of console defined RPG's.

I really would like to know how you justify that statement. Oblivion is an RPG in the truest sense of the word. It is JRPG's that are not true RPG's because of the design, they are more scripted and narrative driven where the player is more of a spectator. In open ended games like Oblivion, players actually get to create any type of char they want so they can "role play" any kind of char. The game's environment and missions are so open ended that you have the freedom to play however you want. I can't think of a more true RPG than the Elder Scrolls series.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts
I'm intrested in getting Oblivion, but it won't change my mind. I feel it's too trivial to think that way. Just cause I played 1 game in a genere with different elements than the others, I won't excuse all the others before it. I still like what I like, and I would still get a Final Fantasy game if it intrests me. It won't be my "be all end all RPG". I also personally like open sandbox worlds.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
Nope. It's a different cup of tea. I still love JRPGs way more. Oblivion is the best of its kind, JRPGs are too different.
irk_t_great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 irk_t_great
Member since 2004 • 465 Posts
Oblivion has changed the way I feel about games in general.
libthegod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 libthegod
Member since 2006 • 1517 Posts

Oblivion belongs with the likes of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, God of War, Zelda, Mario, Resident Evil, Metroid, Devil May Cry, etc....... its the kind of game which doesnt have genre, and shouldnt be compared to others, they are all unique in its own way.

drkndr3amer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 drkndr3amer
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts
lmao, funny.  you put the feelings I've had about this game into words.  I just thought that since gamespot gave it such an amazing review, that there was just something wrong with me.  Thank you.  I still don't want to give up on this game.  I just find it so boring! I know how to navigate, I know how to complete quests.  I just can't immerse myself in the story.  I don't feel the peril or anything, because considering how ugly everyone looks and how they all look the same, it reminds me of low budget plays where the same actor would play different characters.  I just feel no satisfaction.  What I did do was create an arrow with 100 speed and 99999 damage, so enemies I target and hit turn into rubber man as they fly to the moon.  It got old fast.  It's so boring, I try to create my own story in my mind, that I am some kind of god with divine arrows, or that i'm a medieval version of Neo from Matrix, so I'm practically invincible and with a gesture of the hand, everyone becomes paralyzed and tip over.  This game is either too tedious, slashing a monster 40+ times, with the only animation being your hand and sword swinging in tthe air and the enemy making the same actions, strafing, yelling, hitting me, or it's too easy, when I cheat and pretend i am godly.  I don't feel like a warrior, I feel like i'm playing pretend and the monster is playing pretend with me.  omg and the 3rd person camera.  wtf?!  The only time I use it is when I equip new armor and weapons and I'm standing still.  As soon as I do anything in that mode, I am practically disgusted.  I thought it was pretty badass when I maxed my acrobatics and jumped high, or jumped off cliffs.  But when I watch in third person view, it turns me off COMPLETELY.  How are developers gonna design amazing looking armor and weapons, but HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE animation of your character.  I guess they were worried that if the animation was too good, it would be more like an action adventure rather than an rpg. watever, just improve the animation, and the third person view mode!!!
Pablo620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pablo620
Member since 2004 • 4980 Posts
I still like both. Its actually made me anticipate White Knight more than ever and im only 10 hours into Oblivion and I LOVE IT. Im addicted
d14m23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 d14m23
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts

It hasn't changed my view of JRPG's.  When I first played Oblivion I hated it but I gave it a second chance and now I like it.  But on the other hand I am about 20-25 hours into Oblivion and haven't really decided if I love it or not.  I do love being in the Dark Brotherhood.  Sneaking around assassinating people is kind of cool.  The bow and arrow sneak attack from far away is great, especially if you get a one shot kill. 

Also I wouldn't compare the JRPG's to WRPG's because it is a different approach.  I like both and both have good points and bad points.

dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
EverQuest changed the way I feel about JRPGs.