This topic is locked from further discussion.

gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 gollum007
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

Today, i beat Half-Life 2: Episode 2 for the first time and while i'm excited for the next installment, i can't help but feel that Gordon Freeman should have more personality. It's almost like there has to be at least one other character to fight alongside Gordon and make comments to keep the game from being dull. I think it's strange that they give Gordon no personality and also make it so that none of the characters the player encounters asks Gordon anything. I think it was kind of a bad choice to make the main character of the game this way for 4 installments because then it's kind of too late to have him talking all of a sudden in the last game of the series. But i wonder how the ending to the next game will be great without some sign of life from Gordon. I mean as cool as his weapons are and his suit, he would be up there with the other great main characters of video games such as Solid Snake, Nathan Drake, Cloud Strife, etc if they had given him some personality at some point. But in regards to everything else-the story, gameplay, and environments (although not particularly noteworthy graphically, are interesting and often fit the mood of the respective scene in the storyline) is great.

Now, with the next installment i would rather Valve make a longer game than episode 1 and 2 since both of them felt short and rightfully so, hence episode. And so i believe a full game would be better (Half-Life 3), especially since by the time it will most likely come out, we will have waited 5 or 6 years for it. What do you guys think will happen in the game? Judging bythe ending of Episode 2, the humans have to destroy the Combine and completely wipe them from the planet but that wouldn't make for a very interesting story and be kind of predictable by itself. I wonder if Borealis isn't that threatening and that G-Man wants Gordon and the others to destroy it because maybe it turns out it's actually a little beneficial in their war against the Combine and maybe there will be another weapon introduced that's effective against Advisors and serves another use that may not be for fighting. It would be cool if the connections between the Portal universe and Half-Life universe came together and intersected story-wise. What do you guys expect to see or want to see in this game?

Oh and to anyone that hasn't played any of the Half-Life games, Portal, or Team Fortress 2, The Orange Boxis a great game-I highly recommend it. And i believe it's cheaper now. I don't know if it's $30, I don't think it's a Greatest Hits game but it should probably be between $30-$60 online (since you won't be likely to find it in a retail store unless it's GameStop.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yep I like the Half-life series. I have Half-life PS2 and The orange box for PS3 which has Half-life 2 & Half-life episodes one and two. I would hope that eventually there would be Half-life 3 at some point. But I guess that will have to wait for PS4.

gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gollum007

Yep I like the Half-life series. I have Half-life PS2 and The orange box for PS3 which has Half-life 2 & Half-life episodes one and two. I would hope that eventually there would be Half-life 3 at some point. But I guess that will have to wait for PS4.

Megavideogamer

And actually that may not be a bad idea. I can wait a couple more years and this game would make a great launch title for the PS4 and to showcase the new technology.

Have you played the first Half-Life? I haven't so the storyline is a little bit confusing for me and i had to go to wikipedia to find out what Black Mesa was exactly and the significance of it to understand the analogy they used for Borealis.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts
To be honest, it's never really bothered me that Gordon doesn't talk or whatever in the game. It allows you to focus on & appreciate the other characters more & also the surroundings.
gollum007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gollum007

Yea that's how i felt usually when playing the series but i started thinking about it sometime when i was playing episode 2. It doesn't really bother me but it just seems like a flaw in characterization. I appreciate the other characters but i feel like he should have an opinion on matters and not be neglected personality as a main character.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
To be honest, it's never really bothered me that Gordon doesn't talk or whatever in the game. It allows you to focus on & appreciate the other characters more & also the surroundings.hrt_rulz01
Exactly. It's that old silent protagonist trick of putting yourself in the character's shoes. Plus it'd just be weird to suddenly make him and actual character after it's been this way for years.