This topic is locked from further discussion.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

In Gran Turismo 5 I really don't know how to judge what makes one car better than another. From the beginning of the game when you enter A-Spec races the recommended cars are always shown by horsepower (HP) and perfromance points (PP). But seeing as HP doesn't necessarily make one car faster than another it's sort of a useless fact isn't it? And PP seems useless as well as a car can have lots of PP because it was tuned up from being a low-powered car. So how in the world do I know what kind of car I can use in a race?

It is frustrating that the game only tells you that HP and PP tell you what makes one car faster than another when cars can be tuned around to make those numbers meaningless. It's bad enough that in A-Spec I always end up either faster than everyone or slower but now online despite the fact that I pick a car with equal PP to everyone else I still end up with an extremely slow car. Because I don't know how to tune (something else the game is awfully quiet about along with drifting) I try to find stock cars with a lot of PP and bring them down. Unfortunately this doesn't seem t help any as all the cars seem to have far better top speed and acceleration.

This is pretty frustrating and I find it annoying that the game has no tutorials for anyone without a PhD in driving...

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Learn how to tune... its really easy.

As a start, choose a FR car, preferably low powered, then change 1 thing on the tuning, just work your way down the list, make it max or min the first thing. Take this to the Top Gear track and do 2-3 laps in it, see how it feels, then go the opposite way you did before and do another 2-3 laps.

You'll figure out how it changes.

Keep moving down the list but remember to always put the change you made before back to default.

It takes a lot of time to do but it gives you an understanding of your driving style and tuning.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Go over to GTPlanet, they've got a whole forum devoted to tuning with tons and tons of recommended setups for cars.

Performance points is basically how you determine the overall performance of a car - it takes both horsepower and handling into consideration.  But that doesn't mean that just because a car has equal PP that it's going to be competitive.  It might have a ton of horsepower but terrible handling, or fantastic handling but really low horsepower.  You not only need to find a car with a good balance between the two, but one with a VERY good balance.  You have to experiment with different cars and see which works best on a particular track / in a particular race.  As a general rule newer cars are better than older ones just due to the technological advancements.  And a race car will usually dominate a street car with the same PP, etc.

Just look at which car wins a particular race, get one of those, then look up a good tuning setup for it and that will get you started.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

In Gran Turismo 5 I really don't know how to judge what makes one car better than another. From the beginning of the game when you enter A-Spec races the recommended cars are always shown by horsepower (HP) and perfromance points (PP). But seeing as HP doesn't necessarily make one car faster than another it's sort of a useless fact isn't it? And PP seems useless as well as a car can have lots of PP because it was tuned up from being a low-powered car. So how in the world do I know what kind of car I can use in a race?

It is frustrating that the game only tells you that HP and PP tell you what makes one car faster than another when cars can be tuned around to make those numbers meaningless. It's bad enough that in A-Spec I always end up either faster than everyone or slower but now online despite the fact that I pick a car with equal PP to everyone else I still end up with an extremely slow car. Because I don't know how to tune (something else the game is awfully quiet about along with drifting) I try to find stock cars with a lot of PP and bring them down. Unfortunately this doesn't seem t help any as all the cars seem to have far better top speed and acceleration.

This is pretty frustrating and I find it annoying that the game has no tutorials for anyone without a PhD in driving...

anthonycg

Definitely use GTPlanet...there will undoubtedly be multiple tunes for all the cars readily available...and plus...Taking a high powered car and nerfing it is usually the wrong way to do PP races...The best way I find is if you take a car that is about 30-50 under the mark and well tune it up. Those are the vehicles that usually do the best in PP. Once you get the hang of tuning and what kind of driving style you prefer it is pretty easy and standard through each drivetrain. I mean there are variances, but you'll get a base for each type of car to build off of once you do it enough.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Was about to say this as well, those points are a mere orientation point to see how poerful they are, but in the end it all comes down to your driving style, experimenting with tuning, and first and foremost, how it feels for you to drive it. If this all is in perfect sync you can overlap a Porsche Carrera GT with a VW Golf x) Well, okay, maybe not THAT, but you get the gist ^^

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 anthonycg

Thanks guys. This has been frustrating as I've really had no idea how to tune a car to be even with the others. I ended up using the recommended cars but a lot of them seemed to have massive understeer... So I'm just going to do a bunch of seasonals and tune cars around 500-650PP since I rarely see races with smaller restrictions... 

Also has anyone completed the Mini 450PP one? I can only get 3rd on Eifel and it's kinda boring doing it over and over.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12

Thanks guys. This has been frustrating as I've really had no idea how to tune a car to be even with the others. I ended up using the recommended cars but a lot of them seemed to have massive understeer... So I'm just going to do a bunch of seasonals and tune cars around 500-650PP since I rarely see races with smaller restrictions...

Also has anyone completed the Mini 450PP one? I can only get 3rd on Eifel and it's kinda boring doing it over and over.

anthonycg

Eifel is a track where the gear ratios need to be almost perfect (assuming your using manual and no driving aids). Its a high speed track with the mini and your LSD is probably set wrong if your understeering and your toe as well.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 anthonycg

Thanks a lot. I forgot to buy a transmission. -_- I just got the racing one though and I was able to catch up - after all 8 laps...:?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12

Thanks a lot. I forgot to buy a transmission. -_- I just got the racing one though and I was able to catch up - after all 8 laps...:?

anthonycg

Its your driving style then, even with a pad I can catch the leader in 7 and half laps at the latest. You really need to tune your car to your liking.