Gamespot's Scores?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

matthova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 198

User Lists: 0

#1 matthova
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

Do you agree with games like MGS4 and GTA 4 getting a 10. Also i feel that Street fighter should have been higher and Little Big planet. Overall just tell me what you feel the top PS3 games should have been rated. I havent played Killzone 2, but once i get it, i'll rate it after a lil while.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Not really,but then again I don't pay attention to gamespot's reviews anymore.
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

Well MGS4 definitely deserved a 10 but GTA 4 not so

Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts
Wow, it's amazing how people take the opinions of journalists to be fact.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

Do you agree with games like MGS4 and GTA 4 getting a 10. Also i feel that Street fighter should have been higher and Little Big planet. Overall just tell me what you feel the top PS3 games should have been rated. I havent played Killzone 2, but once i get it, i'll rate it after a lil while.

matthova

What do you mean "should have been"? You don't ignore the fact that reviews are nothing but opinions, do you? People like you seem to think that a game comes out of the production line with a score attached to it and that if a reviewer dares giving the game a score lower than the one its bound to be given, he fails. Come on! Stop treating reviews like they're facts of life!

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 K1LLR3175

smithster118
Thats your opinion,MGS4 is a good game but it is not perfect.I am not sure how people act like that video game is godlike,or legendary...maybe I look to much into it.
Wow, it's amazing how people take the opinions of journalists to be fact.Scianix-Black
Well thats people for you.The best reviewer any person can have is themselves.
Yannick_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Yannick_18
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts
I'm a Playstation 3 owner-only....and IMO... I think most of the PS3 games have been under rated... I would give Killzone 2 a 9.5 since the Campaign is really fun and the multiplayers is awesome ... maps are simply incredible but 9.5 only for the lack of multiplayer co-op offline or online !!!! I won't explain all the games but...

Little Big Planet : 9.4 Outstanding graphics (colors) 4 players offline or online ... innovative gameplay ...
Grand Theft Auto 4 : 8.5 They removed too much from Grand Theft Auto San Andreas but nice graphics .. nice controls over the others
Metal Gear Solid : 9.8 IMO no games should've a 10 because there's always place for improvement , sorry Kojima ;)
Uncharted : 9.2 This game was a lot of fun ... I will definitively buy Uncharted 2 when it comes out
Heavenly Sword : 8.8 just because of the length ... was way too short ... sixaxis was fun :D
Resistance 2 : 9.0 way too under-rated ... I really loved the fast action in this game ... great multiplayer and good campaign!!
Lair : 8.8 Since it got the analog control pack!!

Games over-rated are Guitar Hero 2-3 and Rock Band 2 :p they don't offer much improvements...
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
Its one person's opinion. These are your own opinions, never take one person's opinion for the be all and end all of judgement. There are enough time when I don't agree with scores for games.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
I honestly never gave two licks about reviews from any site, magazine or person. I have always followed my own opinions strictly whether it was games or any other subject matter.
Yannick_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yannick_18
Yeah me too I don't give a damn about reviews on this site or gametrailers ... they said they liked the Xbox/Xbox 360 better than the Playstation 2/3 and personally .... I always loved Killzone 1 , and most of the RPGs that gamespots gave them low scores
SonyIsh6Fotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SonyIsh6Fotta
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

I'm a Playstation 3 owner-only....and IMO... I think most of the PS3 games have been under rated... I would give Killzone 2 a 9.5 since the Campaign is really fun and the multiplayers is awesome ... maps are simply incredible but 9.5 only for the lack of multiplayer co-op offline or online !!!! I won't explain all the games but...

Little Big Planet : 9.4 Outstanding graphics (colors) 4 players offline or online ... innovative gameplay ...
Grand Theft Auto 4 : 8.5 They removed too much from Grand Theft Auto San Andreas but nice graphics .. nice controls over the others
Metal Gear Solid : 9.8 IMO no games should've a 10 because there's always place for improvement , sorry Kojima ;)
Uncharted : 9.2 This game was a lot of fun ... I will definitively buy Uncharted 2 when it comes out
Heavenly Sword : 8.8 just because of the length ... was way too short ... sixaxis was fun :D
Resistance 2 : 9.0 way too under-rated ... I really loved the fast action in this game ... great multiplayer and good campaign!!
Lair : 8.8 Since it got the analog control pack!!

Games over-rated are Guitar Hero 2-3 and Rock Band 2 :p they don't offer much improvements...Yannick_18

Resistance 2 got a 9.0 here on GS, just to let you know. Or do you mean underrated by the general public?

Yannick_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Yannick_18
Yeah sorry , didn't look the actual score Gamespot gave it .... but most of the people saying it's way over-rated.... I don't think cuz I always liked Resistance 2 than CoD 4 and most of the others FPS ... but CoD 4 is awesome too !!!
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 QuebecSuperstar

Yeah me too I don't give a damn about reviews on this site or gametrailers ... they said they liked the Xbox/Xbox 360 better than the Playstation 2/3 and personally .... I always loved Killzone 1 , and most of the RPGs that gamespots gave them low scoresYannick_18

I'm telling you guys, if you REALLY have to read reviews, try Kotaku's

They give a description of the game, say what they loved about it, what they hated and end with a little conclusion (their general feeling on the game). NODAMNSCORESFORFANBOYSTOARGUEABOUT!

That's the way to review a game if you ask me.

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 smithster118
[QUOTE="smithster118"]

K1LLR3175

Thats your opinion,MGS4 is a good game but it is not perfect.I am not sure how people act like that video game is godlike,or legendary...maybe I look to much into it.
Wow, it's amazing how people take the opinions of journalists to be fact.Scianix-Black
Well thats people for you.The best reviewer any person can have is themselves.

Well if i'm honest, how could MGS4 improve? Great Story, Great Gameplay, Great Controls, Great Online and and Great Voice Acting

For me, thats a perfect game

QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 QuebecSuperstar

Well if i'm honest, how could MGS4 improve? Great Story, Great Gameplay, Great Controls, Great Online and and Great Voice Acting

For me, thats a perfect game

smithster118

Exactly!

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 K1LLR3175
And thats your opinion.Just like mine is this.It is a great game,but I refuse to call it Godlike,I am not saying you did but alot of people do.
Klimat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Klimat
Member since 2006 • 108 Posts
imho gamespot overrates way too many games and underrates even more example:gears of war or nhl (I mean c'mon!a hockey game 9.0?!) and Disgaea 3
G-Singh_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 G-Singh_19
Member since 2009 • 87 Posts
I really dont care about what gamespot give some games....like Killzone 2 which should've been like a 9.7 and MGS4 should've been like a 9.0........U like it you buy it??
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

matthova
Nope, but GTA IV and MGS IV aren't "10's" in my book.
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 smithster118

And thats your opinion.Just like mine is this.It is a great game,but I refuse to call it Godlike,I am not saying you did but alot of people do.K1LLR3175

Thats the point..... Gamespot reviews are professional and don't give reviews based on what they think of it personally

They need to recognise whats there and whats lacking, and as far as Gamespots concerned, nothings lacking

You can't dum it down to a 9 just because YOU don't think it was

TheRocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheRocha
Member since 2007 • 769 Posts
The problem with scores is that people don't even bother to read the articles pr if they do they can't seem to pull away from the number and focus on what is written. Reviews without scores would be great because they would force the writers to present a review that explained the strengths and weaknesses of a game and that compeled the reader either to buy it or shune away from it. That is true journalism and good writing. I read gamespot's reviews but don't give importance to the score although I try to see if what is written is in some way tied to the given score...which is something that not all reviews do - here at gamespot and every where else for that matter.
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 smithster118

The problem with scores is that people don't even bother to read the articles pr if they do they can't seem to pull away from the number and focus on what is written. Reviews without scores would be great because they would force the writers to present a review that explained the strengths and weaknesses of a game and that compeled the reader either to buy it or shune away from it. That is true journalism and good writing. I read gamespot's reviews but don't give importance to the score although I try to see if what is written is in some way tied to the given score...which is something that not all reviews do - here at gamespot and every where else for that matter.TheRocha

100% agree, many people just look at review scores and don't pay any attention to the detail that is involved

magicquebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 magicquebec
Member since 2006 • 1306 Posts
True ... true ...
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 K1LLR3175
Pro review or not it is still an opinion.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

ill admit to looking at some of the reviews so i could get a general view of how the game is.

but i decide how good it is

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 smithster118

Pro review or not it is still an opinion.K1LLR3175

You still haven't given me a reason why MGS4 is not a 10.......

Yannick_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Yannick_18
IMO... A real review of a game shouldn't be compared with another game !!! It's like saying I can't give Resistance 2 a better score than CoD 4 because CoD is funnier (It's just an exemple because I like Resistance 2 more but oh well ... like you said ... it's just opinion ;)) games should be reviews for what they have to offer .... what you like and what you hated about it .... it is enjoyable even after all these flaws ?!
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 K1LLR3175
I said it was a great game,but I will not call it godlike or legendary.And when I said pro review or not it is still an opinion.I meant that for all games.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

There are just opinions... they serve as reference, but i'm still the one who decides how good the game is and if i'm going to get it... there are games that got high scores but didn't appeal to me, while there are some games that got a low score that i enjoyed very much...i agree with MGS 4 getting a 10, but not with GTA IV, Uncharted should've gotten a higher score, etc... but i get my games because i like 'em, not because of the rating it gets.

Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
I could careless about gamespot's review. I buy the games i want to buy, i'm not going to let someone decide what i should or should not get. People should stop caring about reviews anyways.
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 QuebecSuperstar

IMO... A real review of a game shouldn't be compared with another game !!! It's like saying I can't give Resistance 2 a better score than CoD 4 because CoD is funnier (It's just an exemple because I like Resistance 2 more but oh well ... like you said ... it's just opinion ;)) games should be reviews for what they have to offer .... what you like and what you hated about it .... it is enjoyable even after all these flaws ?!Yannick_18

Check your messages!

THE_BRUTALIZER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 THE_BRUTALIZER
Member since 2008 • 3488 Posts

matthova
i agree with both msg4 and gta4.....both awesome games that really set the bar for next gen. I also think that fallout 3 should have been rated MUCH higher. i have played that game about 4 times, with bad good and neutral accounts, and one for just screwing around. I love that game. killzone 2 should have also been rated higher....sometimes i feel like gamespot reviewers dont fully get the whole extent of the game, i mean like every bad thing they talked about was either just a one time thing or becomes better.... and cod4 was WAY too overrated.....even though people on my friends list play it 24/7 and become completely skeptical about trying different games....i mean, its just a standard war game, sure the graphics are awesome and the online was fun, but so was resistence 1 online, but that quickly got boring like cod4 and just to stand out.....yeah, i understand these reviews are opinions, but i think that they should be a little better researched.
matthova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 198

#33 matthova
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

Here's mine with a .1 scale, keep in mind i havent played killzone 2 yet.

Little Big Planet: 9.4

Street Fighter 4: 9.7

Metal Gear Solid 4: 9.9

Grant THeft Auto 4: 8.7

Resistance 1: 8.3

Prince of Persia: 8.1

Theres plenty PS3 games i have yet to play, i really think they should bring back the old system man, as you can see not even the mighty MGS4 is a PERFECT game. I thank you all for answering my post.

Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts
GTA4 was way too boring. I consider it to be the very worst of all the GTA's, it deserved no more than a 7.5
Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#36 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
Well firstly...

It's not fact, they're just opinions.

And secondly...

I think Metal Gear Solid 4 deserves a 10, Grand Theft Auto 4 deserves a 9.5, Killzone 2 deserves a 9.5 and Uncharted deserves at least a 9.0.

But remember, they're only my opinions.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
They are justified scores if you read the reviews. Right your own review and justify the scores you believe to be right and I am sure people will disagree with yours as well.
leo_andres_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 leo_andres_21
Member since 2007 • 170 Posts

I finds Gamespot's reviews are quite accurate actually...

but still there's a slight overrated or under rated since its a .5, not .1

GTA IV definitely get at least 9.6 in my book...

MGS IV is like 9.6 - 9.8

Uncharted can get a max of 8.5 IMHO

Killzone 2 is anywhere above Halo 3 and under 10

FIFA 09 deserved a 9.0 too

And again it all comes down to opinions and preference... and i played all of those games above

I do want 'some' San Andreas features and new features in the next GTA (not DLC)

and sharper graphics if R* may, cuz the edges are too rough, and do it in 720p next time plz =.=

WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts
I let the Metal Gear Solid 4 review slide, it's been forever since GameSpot gave any 10s (Besides GTA4)... and I just thought if any game this generation should deserve it, it's MGS4. As for Grand Theft Auto 4, I don't know what the reviewer was thinking, realistically, it's like a 9 tops. Surely they found many things wrong with GTA4?
Avatar image for 224385652654335052701865008979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 224385652654335052701865008979
Member since 2008 • 871 Posts
Do people really listen to GS scores anymore? I don't mean to be a jerk, but, isn't that like buying a boat in death valley?
burock76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 burock76
Member since 2008 • 1220 Posts
Rating a game as 10 means that nothing better could be done. And this is not true as we all know. So any given 10 is a 9 or 9.5 in my book. When and if a 10/10 game ever gets released that would mean the end of gaming industry, because as I said, it means nothing better could be done to top it. I for one judge games for the pure joy they give me, whether it is the story, gameplay or graphics. So please stop criticising people whose job is criticising in the first place.
Harry_Balzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Harry_Balzac
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

matthova
They scored Killzone 2 the same as PDZ. That alone should tell you that there scoring is craptastical. They have underscored every PS3 exclusive (except MGS4, which was slightly over scored). Games like Resistance 1, Unchartered, Motorstorm 1&2, HS and Ratchet TOD were all very much under scored by GS's review system for reasons I will not mention due to overwhelming obviousness.
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts
[QUOTE="matthova"]

Harry_Balzac
They scored Killzone 2 the same as PDZ. That alone should tell you that there scoring is craptastical. They have underscored every PS3 exclusive (except MGS4, which was slightly over scored). Games like Resistance 1, Unchartered, Motorstorm 1&2, HS and Ratchet TOD were all very much under scored by GS's review system for reasons I will not mention due to overwhelming obviousness.

Greg Kasavin and Kevin VanOrd are two completely different people, though. Don't tell me your on the impression that GameSpot is just one mind?