Gameplay people not graphics...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

marcosdlerma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 marcosdlerma
Member since 2005 • 69 Posts
You know one of the many things that bothers me is that I just read gamespots graphics comparison story and it pisses me off when they do that. Games sell better on the 360 because nobody is giving the PS3 a chance. Back then games looked way better on the Xbox then the PS2 and GC put together and yet games sold more on PS2 why?....because people like me and many others don't play games for graphics but rather gameplay. Now that Sony released DualShock3 your getting the same gameplay as the 360 with the SIXAXIS features. Thats why so many people like the Wii. Yes its graphics are last generation quality but thats not stopping the Wiis success. Imagine if games were built on the PS3 ground up like MGS4 and FFXIII and then translate to 360, I bet my bottom dollar that there would be a huge graphical difference. Do you think that Killzone 2 would look good on the 360 I think......not. So people give PS3 a chance like you did with PSX and PS2.....
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Both my friend..you need both =P
jt4mtb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jt4mtb
Member since 2003 • 2352 Posts

Back then games looked way better on the Xbox then the PS2 and GC put together and yet games sold more on PS2 why?....because people like me and many others don't play games for graphics but rather gameplay.marcosdlerma

Actually, games sold more on the PS2 because there was a much larger install base of PS2 owners. More owners = more people to buy the game.

marcosdlerma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 marcosdlerma

Exactly. games looked better on Xbox than PS2 but not very many people had the Xbox. The same is said about PS3.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Yeah its pretty much the install base being much larger, thier arent any significant gameplay differences when comparing multiplat titles on a MS console vs a Sony console.
Maersyndel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maersyndel
Member since 2005 • 402 Posts

Exactly....when the consoles were first both available, these things were interesting because it was untested water and it was good to weigh up your options. Over time, it's become clear that the differences are marginal, and can favor either machine depending on the game. These articles are nothing but flame bait now, just like the Game Trailers comparisons.

I get what the TC is saying, but at the end of the day as long as the game I buy looks pretty to me, or plays like I like, I don't care what the other version is like.

marcosdlerma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 marcosdlerma
Now can you translate that in human language.......
gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gruoch1
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.gruoch1

If you could please point me in the direction of the store that sells uncharted, heavenly sword, condemned 2 etc etc for PS2 :P

anewperfectday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 anewperfectday
Member since 2006 • 782 Posts

Even though I agree with you, people these days prefer high quality graphics subconsciously when it comes down to xbox and ps. As for the Wii, they already know that graphics aren't superior or competing in any sort of way, therefore, they go after the innovation of the system.

Since consumers spent a great deal of money investing the system (xbox or ps), they expect to get their money's worth. (features, game's gameplay, game's graphics) Which raises their expectation to unreachable lengths.

ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts
i thought gamespots comparison looks like ps3 cod4 looked a lot better. and game slike gta4 had way more cars and people on the streets in the ps3 version
moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts
I prefer graphics over gameplay. But I can't think of one game that is willing to invest so much money into graphics and have awful gameplay, just doesn't happen.

Most people that I know who have bought the Wii are older people (40+) for either themselves or their childeren because of the fitness aspect of it.
Also the DualShock3 isn't out in the EU yet, so not everyone is getting the same gameplay.

Finally, in a graphics > gameplay argument why are you mentioning how bad MGS4/Killzone 2/FFXIII will look on the 360?
moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 moshakirby18
To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.gruoch1

I agree, you can then go on to say why did you buy a HDTV etc.

I think it's true that for some games graphics actually don't matter (Viking Bazooka Blood Bath) but those games are usually short, just generally a bit of fun and a mess around.
Noxest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Noxest
Member since 2003 • 81 Posts

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the PS3 suppose to have superior graphical power? I brought Devil 4 on the PS3 because I personally think that its graphic is better than the xbox counterpart after I tried both demos.

Oh and btw, doesn't matter which system I'm playing on, since I own both, I demand both graphic and gameplay for two reasons: 1st, this, my friend, is the NEXT GENERATION of gaming, graphic and gameplay must come together. 2nd, both Microsoft and Sony charge us crap load amount of $$$.

CoreoVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 CoreoVII
Member since 2007 • 1838 Posts
Good Graphics are great, I think the poster just means that the game will fall apart if the gameplay sucks no matter how good your "eye-candy" graphics are.
Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Graphics is a huge Plus + on things, but what matters after is the "Story" :shock::cry::twisted: If the story just sucks me in; then the graphics and game-play do the rest from there. That's where my grading comes into play.

You have to remember though all games are different. F.P.S shooters, don't you want some amazing graphics, killer guns, and crazy graphical environments???

R.P games, dont you want an exciting and crazy ending or plot that will have you on your toes wishing or hoping everything works out for the poor guy, or is he going to die in the end.

A.A games, what that comes down to is "game-play" and a little "story" hoping everything comes together in a smooth and fun experience.

gera34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gera34
Member since 2008 • 343 Posts

You know one of the many things that bothers me is that I just read gamespots graphics comparison story and it pisses me off when they do that. Games sell better on the 360 because nobody is giving the PS3 a chance. Back then games looked way better on the Xbox then the PS2 and GC put together and yet games sold more on PS2 why?....because people like me and many others don't play games for graphics but rather gameplay. Now that Sony released DualShock3 your getting the same gameplay as the 360 with the SIXAXIS features. Thats why so many people like the Wii. Yes its graphics are last generation quality but thats not stopping the Wiis success. Imagine if games were built on the PS3 ground up like MGS4 and FFXIII and then translate to 360, I bet my bottom dollar that there would be a huge graphical difference. Do you think that Killzone 2 would look good on the 360 I think......not. So people give PS3 a chance like you did with PSX and PS2.....marcosdlerma

thats the reason why the microsh*t... is going to copy(like always) the wii control....

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Are we supposed to be at blame that Sony decided to build a excellent gaming machine? You question has no meaning. The same could be said about PSX and PS2, as well as Xbox and XboX 360.

It's called evolution circle. It doesn't matter if the game has out of this world graphics if gameplay, story and fun factor are not present.

However, when you add great visual to that - you only enchant your experience.

Who said people don't play PS2 games once they have PS3? I'm a living example of that not being true.

truenextgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 truenextgen
Member since 2007 • 3911 Posts

[QUOTE="marcosdlerma"]Back then games looked way better on the Xbox then the PS2 and GC put together and yet games sold more on PS2 why?....because people like me and many others don't play games for graphics but rather gameplay.jt4mtb

Actually, games sold more on the PS2 because there was a much larger install base of PS2 owners. More owners = more people to buy the game.

Thank god Sony on pace for spot 2 then pretty fast. But they wont have that Wii spot. But 2nds a guarantee. To much world and east domination. And two equal threw out.

And I cant see the Wii not getting games in a few years. Developers cant be that stupid. Their should be tuns of them in a few years.
Avatar image for RobinNordholm67
RobinNordholm67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RobinNordholm67
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I totally aggre with you.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
Both my friend..you need both =PBloodseeker23
I agree? why can we have both?
---Saint---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ---Saint---
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

(retard voice on) I think graphics are the only thing that matter. Let's burn all the copies of the old metal gear,final fantasy, and resident evil games because they have bad graphics!!!(retard voice off).

Graphics do not matter. If a company makes a really good game it's good. Simple as that.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Because MGS4/DMC4/GTAIV/FFXIII/KZ2 are PS3 only... Graphics don't matter. You fail, thanx you.

moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 moshakirby18

[QUOTE="gruoch1"]To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.GreenGoblin2099

Because MGS4/DMC4/GTAIV/FFXIII/KZ2 are PS3 only... Graphics don't matter. You fail, thanx you.

I don't get the joke...

I think the Gameplay/Graphics argument is flawed until someone releases a game with amazing graphics and awful gameplay.
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreenGoblin2099
[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

[QUOTE="gruoch1"]To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.moshakirby18

I don't get the joke...

I think the Gameplay/Graphics argument is flawed until someone releases a game with amazing graphics and awful gameplay.

Uh, that wasn't a joke, pal.

He asked why did we (in this case, me) buy a PS3 if we say graphics don't matter...

moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 moshakirby18
[QUOTE="moshakirby18"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

[QUOTE="gruoch1"]To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.GreenGoblin2099

I don't get the joke...

He asked why did we (in this case, me) buy a PS3 if we say graphics don't matter...

Oh..I assumed it was because DMC4 and GTAIV aren't exclusive.

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreenGoblin2099
[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"][QUOTE="moshakirby18"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

[QUOTE="gruoch1"]To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.moshakirby18

I don't get the joke...

Oh..I assumed it was because DMC4 and GTAIV aren't exclusive.

They originally were... so there.

If those series remained being PS2 only, I would've definitely waited longer to get a PS3.

LURCH87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LURCH87
Member since 2008 • 1375 Posts
both we as gamers shouldn't have to compromise. we are already paying $60 for games now we deserve both.:D
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

one without the other is like blueberries without the pie.

its just not good enough.

Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="Bloodseeker23"]Both my friend..you need both =Progerjak
I agree? why can we have both?

yea, what he said

gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gruoch1

[QUOTE="gruoch1"]To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.Sokol4ever

Are we supposed to be at blame that Sony decided to build a excellent gaming machine? You question has no meaning. The same could be said about PSX and PS2, as well as Xbox and XboX 360.

It's called evolution circle. It doesn't matter if the game has out of this world graphics if gameplay, story and fun factor are not present.

However, when you add great visual to that - you only enchant your experience.

Who said people don't play PS2 games once they have PS3? I'm a living example of that not being true.

You're exactly right, What I said goes for every other game console out there. Gameplay and fun factor are very important, but if people really didn't care about graphics as they claim then there would be no reason to create new hardware. Would you buy an HDTV if you didn't care about high definition? Why would you buy a PS3 if you don't care about the graphical enhancement?

gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gruoch1

All the games you mentioned are sequels made to show off the graphical power of the PS3. If you take graphics completely out of the equation, couldn't you have just as much fun with MGS1,DMC1,GTAIII,FFVII,and Killzone?

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreenGoblin2099

[QUOTE="gruoch1"]To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.gruoch1

If you take graphics completely out of the equation, couldn't you have just as much fun with MGS1,DMC1,GTAIII,FFVII,and Killzone?

Yes, I could. And again, you fail.

gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gruoch1
[QUOTE="gruoch1"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

If you take graphics completely out of the equation, couldn't you have just as much fun with MGS1,DMC1,GTAIII,FFVII,and Killzone?

Then why buy the new ones?

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreenGoblin2099
[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"][QUOTE="gruoch1"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

[QUOTE="gruoch1"]To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.gruoch1

Because I don't buy them for the graphics... in cas eyou didn't know, these games follow an story. Following the story and knowing what comes next is what motivates fans. Not graphical enhancement.

Aren't you tired of failing??

gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gruoch1
[QUOTE="gruoch1"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"][QUOTE="gruoch1"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

Because I don't buy them for the graphics... in cas eyou didn't know, these games follow an story. Following the story and knowing what comes next is what motivates fans. Not graphical enhancement.

Say (hypothetically) Sony announced that all the games you mentioned above were coming out for the PS2 for a cheaper price. The gameplay would stay the same but they all would receive a drastic graphical reduction. Would you sell your PS3 for the PS2 versions?

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreenGoblin2099
[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"][QUOTE="gruoch1"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"][QUOTE="gruoch1"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

Say (hypothetically) Sony announced that all the games you mentioned above were coming out for the PS2 for a cheaper price. The gameplay would stay the same but they all would receive a drastic graphical reduction. Would you sell your PS3 for the PS2 versions?

That would be stupid because I would have those games already... why would I bother on selling the PS3 and all the games I got just because a PS2 version was released?? But then again, if there was exclusive (worthy) content, I could just get the PS2 versions as my PS3 has BC.

thadude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thadude85
Member since 2008 • 447 Posts
ya when i signed on for the next gen experience i was thinking i hope to get some games that have ps2 quality gameplay along with great graphics. there would be no point in upgrading to the next gen consoles if graphics were not important. in my opinion they are very important, secondary to gameplay for sure but great graphics can really help with the immersion level while gaming imo.
gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gruoch1

GreenGoblin2099

That would be stupid because I would have those games already... why would I bother on selling the PS3 and all the games I got just because a PS2 version was released?? But then again, if there was exclusive (worthy) content, I could just get the PS2 versions as my PS3 has BC.

You're avoiding the question. This is a hypothetical. If you had a choice between buying one of two games; MGS4 for the PS3 or a graphically reduced port of MGS4 for the PS2 which would you buy?

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GreenGoblin2099

gruoch1

You're avoiding the question. This is a hypothetical. If you had a choice between buying one of two games; MGS4 for the PS3 or a graphically reduced port of MGS4 for the PS2 which would you buy?

I'm not avoinding anything, it's just that you don't make the right questions:

Ok, assuming I already own the PS3, and I don't own any version of the game in question, both versions having the very same content, which one would I get??

Easy: the cheaper one. And that would most likely be the PS2 version.

gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gruoch1

GreenGoblin2099

Ok, assuming I already own the PS3, and I don't own any version of the game in question, both versions having the very same content, which one would I get??

I'm not sure I believe you, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Still, I wonder if you would continue to do the same if other future PS3 titles were released on the PS2 for a cheaper price.

coold_steam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#42 coold_steam
Member since 2007 • 670 Posts

[QUOTE="gruoch1"]To all the people who keep saying graphics don't matter, why did you buy a PS3? The PS2 is MUCH cheaper, and has a much larger library of games. If you truly don't care about graphics then the PS3 seems like a waste of money.whoozwah

If you could please point me in the direction of the store that sells uncharted, heavenly sword, condemned 2 etc etc for PS2 :P

so u bought a ps3 just to play these games not for the graphics ,???

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GreenGoblin2099

I'm not sure I believe you, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Still, I wonder if you would continue to do the same if other future PS3 titles were released on the PS2 for a cheaper price.gruoch1

I don't lie, buddy. ;)

EDIT: Now I feel like I have to mention this: I'm 28 y.o. I grew up with Atari 2600, NES,Sega Genesis, Super NES... back when all that mattered was the gameplay and ocassionally good stories. That's why I'm not a graphics whore.

And sometimes it saddens me to see how this generation of gamers seems to care about graphics only. But well, to each its own.

UnXplaynD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UnXplaynD
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts

All the games you mentioned are sequels made to show off the graphical power of the PS3. If you take graphics completely out of the equation, couldn't you have just as much fun with MGS1,DMC1,GTAIII,FFVII,and Killzone?

Agreed, the next GTA game will probably be more focused on the gameplay since they now got the graphichs down.

moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 moshakirby18

GreenGoblin2099

Oh come on, really?! You've got to be some hardcore cheap-skate to save yourself $20-30 over fantastic graphics, fantastic audio, which are (I know i'm using reviews blablabal) apparantley really important to making this game even mroe awesome!
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GreenGoblin2099
[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"][QUOTE="gruoch1"][QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

moshakirby18

Oh come on, really?! You've got to be some hardcore cheap-skate to save yourself $20-30 over fantastic graphics, fantastic audio, which are (I know i'm using reviews blablabal) apparantley really important to making this game even mroe awesome!

Check my previous post edit.

gruoch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gruoch1

[QUOTE="gruoch1"] I'm not sure I believe you, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it. Still, I wonder if you would continue to do the same if other future PS3 titles were released on the PS2 for a cheaper price.GreenGoblin2099

I don't lie, buddy. ;)

EDIT: Now I feel like I have to mention this: I'm 28 y.o. I grew up with Atari 2600, NES,Sega Genesis, Super NES... back when all that mattered was the gameplay and ocassionally good stories. That's why I'm not a graphics whore.

And sometimes it saddens me to see how this generation of gamers seems to care about graphics only. But well, to each its own.

Fair enough. I'm 25 and I've always been a "graphics whore." The first time I played the Snes I had trouble going back to play the NES and Atari. Though I still love all my old games, I find I still always go back to playing the newest stuff the most. I love buying new consoles because I love seeing how games have evolved, gameplay and graphics.

marcosdlerma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 marcosdlerma
We are not tools of the government or anyone else...fighting was the only thing that I was good at but I least I fought for what I believed in...

Frank Jeager a.k.a. Gray Fox