Gabe Newell Bashes PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 snwboardn08
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts

Gabe Newell who is the co-founder of Valve Software in an interview with Next Generation had this to say on the PS3.

"I think the Playstation 3 is a waste of everybody's time. Investing in the Cell gives you no long-term benefits. You're not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they've created." - Source - GamePro Magazine

Is it just me or this a pointless argument that really doesnt make much sense. So the cell proccessor gives me no long-term benefits why? Last I heard. The cell proccessor was brand new technology that is basicly looking into the future.

What are your thoughts?

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
I can't create on the PS3 T________________T.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
This was news ... um ... 1 year ago... :roll:
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14803 Posts
Didn't Sony give up on the Cell or something?
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts

I read that too (kinda old, but whatever). When I read that, I just assumed that he was talking from a developers vantage point. The PS3's programming architecture (I believe that is the way that people refer to the way a game is programmed for a particular console) is more specific (in other words, not as flexible) than other consoles, making it more of a challenge to develop for; at least, that's how I heard the PS3 is.

That's what I though when I read that.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zeforgotten
Member since 2006 • 3918 Posts

Gabe Newell who is the co-founder of Valve Software in an interview with Next Generation had this to say on the PS3.

"I think the Playstation 3 is a waste of everybody's time. Investing in the Cell gives you no long-term benefits. You're not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they've created." - Source - GamePro Magazine

Is it just me or this a pointless argument that really doesnt make much sense. So the cell proccessor gives me no long-term benefits why? Last I heard. The cell proccessor was brand new technology that is basicly looking into the future.

What are your thoughts?

snwboardn08

Well you actually see it all the time. People bashing the PS3, 360, Wii etc etc.. all because the men are wearing Thongs and it's stuck up their scrawny little... all joking aside (except the thong part, that's true. that's why they bash everything) .. i actually agree. i didn't make any sense at all when i read it.. but we hear it all the time. Crying people all over the place. it's a sad thing. but it will never go away

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts

Didn't Sony give up on the Cell or something?SOedipus

Yeah they dropped out because it was eating up their money or something.

snwboardn08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 snwboardn08
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts
I read it in my GamePro which i recieved this month. I thought it was new but oh well sorry I didnt know :) lol
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I read it in my GamePro which i recieved this month. I thought it was new but oh well sorry I didnt know :) lolsnwboardn08
Gabe Newell has been making retarded comments about the PS3 since the start of 2007. "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think it's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a 'do over.' Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it." The guys retarded comments were enough to get me to cancel my pre-order for The Orange Box. The guys a tool! edit: GS formatting
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

[QUOTSony hsold off the E="SOedipus"]Didn't Sony give up on the Cell or something?

They sold off their share of the factory that manufactures Cell. They develop consumer electronics, with the competition in microprocessor manufacturing, it wasn't in their best interest to be involved on the hardware side as well. Outsourcing and such, its cheaper for them to buy them than for them to make them themselves.

dewmandew7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 dewmandew7
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
Why, it's so very cOLD.
Superstrokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Superstrokey
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts

[QUOTE="SOedipus"]Didn't Sony give up on the Cell or something?aznfool07

Yeah they dropped out because it was eating up their money or something.

No they sold the factory to other companies ( i think toshiba) hoping they can be more efficient in making them. There is a big difference

Gymbo-59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gymbo-59
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts
He's just mad cuz he has a weak name & can't get no play....dang...me too. =)
agmsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 agmsd
Member since 2003 • 121 Posts

This was news ... um ... 1 year ago... :roll:CellAnimation

Maybe more than a year :P

gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
This is why the orange box disaster was fore-seeable, there will be no patch, and we will never see a decent Valve game on PS3 if they ever even release any others on PS3...
Miss_Wacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Miss_Wacy
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts
i love how he talks like he speaks for everyone, just another lazy dev
bryankei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bryankei
Member since 2006 • 222 Posts

What are your thoughts?

I think Valve and Gabe are a waste of time after playing the Orange box. It had more bugs than a Florida swamp.

snwboardn08
thanos723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 thanos723
Member since 2006 • 871 Posts
all i read from this was "QQ i can't develop on it because I lack the skill QQ" this makes me not want the orange box now. it can suck my ...
Tokyo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tokyo90
Member since 2007 • 2024 Posts

i love how he talks like he speaks for everyone, just another lazy devMiss_Wacy

even xbots agreed with him :roll:

ScottEFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ScottEFresh
Member since 2003 • 1574 Posts
Gabe Newell can eat it because he cost them the purchase of the OB...from me as well...I want the game...but can't support a total douche bag like that. GABE NEWELL= DOUCHE BAG
carddude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 carddude
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts
The only reason he says that is because it gives them an excuse about make the o-box crappy on the ps3. I don't wanna hear the same old s*** about how its so hard to make a game for the ps3. Its not. If first party peopl can make a good game, they can also. If Infinity Ward can make Cod4 just as good on the ps3 as any other console, then I don't wanna hear you b*ichin
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
personally I think gabes outspoken idiotic POS. he also claims that HL2 is the best FPS on the planet. talk about an ego...
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
It's difficult to program games for it, just like the PS2, devs are mad because they put up with it last gen when they had to with Sony being in the lead and all. This gen they're in last place so why do they have to take their crap?
ScottEFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ScottEFresh
Member since 2003 • 1574 Posts

It's difficult to program games for it, just like the PS2, devs are mad because they put up with it last gen when they had to with Sony being in the lead and all. This gen they're in last place so why do they have to take their crap?X360PS3AMD05

WTF are you talking about. There's money to be made on the PS3 whether Gabe likes it or not and as a business man that's really all he should care about. Saying the PS3 sucks and blah blah just makes Gabe Newell look like a jackass who doesn't know how to work with new technology. Now that the PS3 has won the Blu-Ray war what's Gabe going to do? Keep complaining? NOPE! He's going to tuck his tail in bewtween his legs and make everything for the PS3 because you can't deny such a large fanbase.

TheNumber_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheNumber_12
Member since 2007 • 495 Posts

personally I think gabes outspoken idiotic POS. he also claims that HL2 is the best FPS on the planet. talk about an ego...ninjaxams

Well, he is right there. You can't begrudge him that

kf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kf9
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts
lol...... people Gabe work on th pc all is live... no it came to ps3 and say is hard.. really?... :D
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

If Infinity Ward can make Cod4 just as good on the ps3 as any other console, then I don't wanna hear you b*ichincarddude

QFT. They didn't want to expend extra effort because of the smaller installed base perhaps, but still... there's no point in doing a job if you're not going to do it correctly.

Game_Lover500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Game_Lover500
Member since 2007 • 420 Posts
Who is Gabe Newell? I love his name :S
Tokyo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tokyo90
Member since 2007 • 2024 Posts

lol...... people Gabe work on th pc all is live... no it came to ps3 and say is hard.. really?... :D kf9

well he better start working on consoles if he wanna make more money I mean the guy is an idiot. and I hope they make episode 3 for PS3 too cuz I'm enjoying the HL series so far.