For or against language filters in games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts
I don't know about you but I thought this was kind of an interesting question. I've noticed more and more games seem to be implementing language and/or gore filters (ex. Call of Duty: World at War, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Gears of War 2, etc.). A high percentage of shooters released these days are rated M, so do you like these games to have options to turn language and gore off so these games can be played by a somewhat younger audience? So my question is this, are you for or against content filters in games?
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
I think it's a superb idea.
WutTimeIsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 WutTimeIsIt
Member since 2008 • 785 Posts
*shakes the magic 8 ball*....No
-Apathy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 -Apathy-
Member since 2008 • 1069 Posts
would be cool
adventstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 adventstrike
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

You should be able to have a parental control option in the systemspreferences. It would mean that it is automatic for any game with too much gore and language ect. ect.

But I think it is a good idea, but should always just be an option. Bleeping out language for the sake of it is just annoying, you might as well just have none. (Would not be a bad idea)

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gesyma
Member since 2003 • 1082 Posts

I think that would be awesome actually.

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
That is a horrible idea... the last thing we need is alot more little kids playing video games...
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

It's a good idea. People that want it would have a chance to turn blood/gore and swearing off.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
I guess filtering out the obscene stuff is a good idea. So that way the kids could also enjoy games as much as us without the parents having to worry constantly how the stuff is going to affect their children.
Griggrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Griggrr
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts
you can block games that are "to violent" on the system so you put in a M game it will not let you play... but i think it would be better if a game (example cod waw) that it would edit languge and gore for you. i think that would be best...
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
I don't know about you but I thought this was kind of an interesting question. I've noticed more and more games seem to be implementing language and/or gore filters (ex. Call of Duty: World at War, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Gears of War 2, etc.). A high percentage of shooters released these days are rated M, so do you like these games to have options to turn language and gore off so these games can be played by a somewhat younger audience? So my question is this, are you for or against content filters in games?rodney130
i guess i am... for the kids... but i like the cursing and gore in my games
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
I guess filtering out the obscene stuff is a good idea. So that way the kids could also enjoy games as much as us without the parents having to worry constantly how the stuff is going to affect their children.PSdual_wielder
How about no! thats ridiculous... if they do that then it completely defeats the whole rating system! thats like parents who use a v-chip...
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
Against. They should be able to express what they are really trying to say. But if profanity is there just for filler and to sound "cool", then no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
Game is mature for a reason. Cant handle the violence or swearing dont buy the game
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rodney130
I can understand both sides of the issue, but it just seems that there aren't a whole lot of options for kids who want to play shooters but aren't allowed to play M rated games.
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rodney130

I can understand both sides of the issue, but it just seems that there aren't a whole lot of options for kids who want to play shooters but aren't allowed to play M rated games.rodney130

...and believe it or not I know several adults who like language filters in games because they don't like to hear it either , but I guess most don't really care...

Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gesyma
Game is mature for a reason. Cant handle the violence or swearing dont buy the gameavataraang1
He didn't say "should violence and swearing be removed from games?" he said "should there be a filter that you can choose to turn on in violent games?" Big difference ...
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rodney130

[QUOTE="avataraang1"]Game is mature for a reason. Cant handle the violence or swearing dont buy the gameGesyma
He didn't say "should violence and swearing be removed from games?" he said "should there be a filter that you can choose to turn on in violent games?" Big difference ...

Exactly! I love shooters and I'm not against violent games at all, actually the complete opposite. Almost every game in my PS3 game collection is a shooter so its not that I'm against violent games. I just know that there are some people who would like to have content (especially language) filters...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
[QUOTE="avataraang1"]Game is mature for a reason. Cant handle the violence or swearing dont buy the gameGesyma

Takes away the whole fun of the game. I shoot a guy I expect blood not sunshine and ponies (JOKE). Were gonna crash! HOLY MOLEY
Gesyma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gesyma
[QUOTE="Gesyma"][QUOTE="avataraang1"]Game is mature for a reason. Cant handle the violence or swearing dont buy the gameavataraang1

Takes away the whole fun of the game. I shoot a guy I expect blood not sunshine and ponies (JOKE). Were gonna crash! HOLY MOLEY

Haha! Sunshine and ponies. Nice.
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rodney130

[QUOTE="Gesyma"][QUOTE="avataraang1"]Game is mature for a reason. Cant handle the violence or swearing dont buy the gameavataraang1

Haha well to be honest I guess I was talking more about language than violence when I started this thread. I guess I should have been more clear on that...

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
[QUOTE="Gesyma"][QUOTE="avataraang1"][QUOTE="Gesyma"] He didn't say "should violence and swearing be removed from games?" he said "should there be a filter that you can choose to turn on in violent games?" Big difference ...

Haha! Sunshine and ponies. Nice.

WEll if it were up to some people, the environments in Killzone 2 would be neon green and pink and having what avataraang described.
donmega1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 donmega1
Member since 2003 • 1456 Posts
killing someone without blood? what kid would wanna play that? it like playing mortal kombat on the snes.
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rodney130

killing someone without blood? what kid would wanna play that? it like playing mortal kombat on the snes.donmega1

Hahaha yeah I completely understand. I know most kids like blood in games, but alot of parents don't want their kids playing games with alot of blood and language.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
It's a great idea and should absolutely be implemented. Adult gamers with families and children especially would appreciate this. There are definately games that I cannot play because my daughter wants to watch and not always because of graphic content but the amount of foul language that is used.
McMJ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#27 McMJ3
Member since 2008 • 2441 Posts
I definitely have no problem having it implemented in games. I know my parents don't have a problem with me playing M rated games but they don't like me playing around my younger sibling's because of all the language mainly. So, yes I think it would be a good idea. There is no problem in having it there. No need to complain just because you're given the option.
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rodney130

I definitely have no problem having it implemented in games. I know my parents don't have a problem with me playing M rated games but they don't like me playing around my younger sibling's because of all the language mainly. So, yes I think it would be a good idea. There is no problem in having it there. No need to complain just because you're given the option.McMJ3

Exactly! Alot of people get furious when people bring up the OPTION of having language filters in games! It's exactly that, and OPTION! We aren't asking game developers to take language out of games completely, just for them to give us the option to turn it off. Its funny how gamers used to be able to play M rated first person shooters several years ago without language but now people act like its a necessity!

bloomper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bloomper
Member since 2004 • 72 Posts
I am for it! I love my violent games, and a filter to turn the violence on and off would not bother me as I could enjoy my game as a normally would, and the younger audiance can still play.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
I'm not really ever in a situation where I need to use the filters, personally. But sure, why not? A lot of gamers out there have kids, or they have younger siblings or they have younger relatives that visit and I think it may help things out to have an option for the profanity to be bleeped. Probably wouldn't be that difficult to implement either.
rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rodney130
Wow! I'm really surprised how many people are for it. I hope Killzone 2 will have one. I don't think it will at launch, but maybe in an update eventually. Gears of War 2's language filter was implemented in an update right? Oh well, I highly doubt one will ever be released. Probably just wishful thinking...
psyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 psyum
Member since 2006 • 3268 Posts
no way, imagine haveing that filter on Army of two and killzone2 as it is their dialogues are kind of dumb it would be even dumber with filters on ..... just imagine haveing to hear "beep" everytime a bad word is spoken :P
Seritonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Seritonin
Member since 2008 • 423 Posts
Against. I think any language should be allowed at all times. It's just words. Who the F cares? Like in Battlestar Galactica. They say Frak instead of the actual word. They can't say the actual word but they can say Frak which has the same meaning behind it and the same vulgarity. So they aren't banning vulgarness they are just banning words. Its really dumb. Like instead of the S word I will just say Skote. And have it mean the exact same thing but because it isn't spelled the same its okay? What sense does that make? It's Bull Skote.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
We need to reprimand kids these days, not give them a free pass to play violent and/or other suggestive games *bangs hand on table*. Businesses should stop selling certain games (restricted by age) to kids, period. At the very least, STOP selling them mics, lol.
membership1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 membership1
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
its an execelnt idea so noone would miss any great titles .... good idea
membership1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 membership1
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts

[QUOTE="donmega1"]killing someone without blood? what kid would wanna play that? it like playing mortal kombat on the snes.rodney130

Hahaha yeah I completely understand. I know most kids like blood in games, but alot of parents don't want their kids playing games with alot of blood and language.

but i think that even a kid should know that games arent real life and that they musnt be influence by them
Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
If they do that they better add a "mute all" function, I hate listening to those little kids : /
daveydag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 daveydag
Member since 2004 • 403 Posts
its a good idea but at the same time its a little pointless. i think the language is good idea to turn of. the Gore on the other hand is pointless. i reckon the if u are killing some one whether they blow up or just plop down dead u still take a life. so that option is just silly. ppl should realise that its just a game and if u think the gore is wrong killing some one in the game should be wrong too. makes me wonder really how can some ppl see it any different. language u may just not want ur kids hearing it from a distance, but the gore they still watch ppl dying so why not exploding and blood flying onto the screen etc. hope that not too confusing. i lose track hehe
curiousperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 curiousperson
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Wow. That would be so awesome. I can think of at least two games right off the top of my head that I would buy NOW if I knew I could employ a filter for language. Gore and violence doesn't bother me so much, but I can see how it would bother others, and thus, the option to turn off that stuff would also be a nice addition. I think some people find it strange that you would allow gory things, but cringe at bad language. My point of view is that I obviously know the violence taking place in a VG is not real, but the language, unfortunately, is very real, and very offensive, thus, I don't want to hear it, and I don't want my younger siblings who are watching to hear it. I hear enough of that crap in the work place. I don't want to hear it when I'm supposed to be having "fun". What really irritates me is sometimes you can have a game that doesn't even have excessive violence in it, but the language is still ridiculous. It would be really nifty if Sony took an interest and decided to make a downloadable add-on to the PS3 that could perhaps read the sub-titles for a video game, discover bad language, and conveniently mute it out and scramble the text (" You @*#! piece of $&#*@!"). Kind of like how the TVGuardian works. I would definately pay extra money for something like that, just to know I can freely place a game with younger people in earshot and not feel I should just mute the entire thing.
Dark-Star13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dark-Star13
Member since 2009 • 2849 Posts

That is a horrible idea... the last thing we need is alot more little kids playing video games... americahellyeah

Dude, all but those redicules games with more body parts on the floor than on the players are geared towards kids.

And I like that the option to do that, oh. And Fat Princess also does it.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#41 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

Im all for it. A bad word now and then is no biggy but it gets old real fast online hearing a bunch of 13 year olds trying sound like sailors. it just detracts

wargamer975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wargamer975
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
well i think that games should have filters.not with like ponies instead of blood but not like decapitation or something like that. being a teen myself when my mom dont let me play a game just for no filters is just lame. i can take language and gore but not my mom.
wargamer975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wargamer975
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
its an option too people!!!