First Person Shooter How to Guide. Co-Op / Split-Screen Compilation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kruegmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 Kruegmeister
Member since 2003 • 539 Posts
Since these Devs cannot seem to get it right in my opinion I thought I would spell it out for them. #1 - Co-Op Split Screen Not Just Online. Prefer 4 way Split. I don't care if the Story supports it or not. Does not matter. Why else do you think the Wii is so Popular, Yep I can play with more than one Friend or Family Member. Get this thru your head guys. It is the Inclusion of more than 1 or 2 Local Players that has the Wii kickin butt. Some of us have REAL Friends and not just Online Friends. #2 - Vehicles In Multi-Player I'm talkin to you Insomniac. I don't care if it can cause Unbalance. Just make it an option that I can choose. Perhaps only in Unranked Matches... Come on already. Halo pulls off the Vehicles without problems. Warhawk Balances it Quite Well. This makes for more "Fun" Online. Plus how many "Wars" go off with NO VEHICLES??? #3 - Customizable Controls with Presets. Basically I like a cross between Call of Duty 4 and Halo3. Haze, which I thought was not too bad, had 1 HUGE Problem, No adjustable sensitivity for the X and Y axis. This is a MUST. Ideally you want lots of Customization and Presets similar to Halo, Resistance or Call of Duty. #4 - 32+ in Multiplayer. Do not listen to these "16 players is the Sweetspot" People. These are usually just the people trying to justify why Halo3 only supports 16. If you support More and Allow the Options either setting up the Match or Searching for a Match (Warhawk does this well). If you think 16 is the Sweet spot, then setup or search for a match that size. But don't limit it to 16, just scale the maps like Resistance or Warhawk and Now everybody's Opinion/Preference is fulfilled. #5 - Guns, Tools, Gadgets. Variety is Good here. The More the better in my Opinion. Laser Trip Mines, Flame Thrower, Chainsaw, BFG, Grenades, Sticky Grenades, Rocket Launcher, Turrets, Groovitrons, Freeze Ray, Something that turns People into Chickens. The More the Better. #6 - Pick a side, Stick with it. My biggest problem with the Halo series (which are some of my favorites) is the Changing of sides. If you haven't played any Halo Basically you are against the Covenant (aliens) until you are with them, but only half of them. Until you are against them again, until you ARE them... Ohhh Come on... When I played Halo 2&3 it got to the point where I shot when my Reticule was Red... After a while I couldn't see the enemies any more because I was too busy focusing on the Reticule to make sure that that enemy was currently my enemy. In a Similar Problem but for Online is Call of Duty 4. The Rank Badges have Various Colors in them. I had a Hard time distinguishing Friend from Foe. Nothing like Team killing a few people to make Friends. Especially when you switch sides from Match to Match it can become difficult to know your side. Additionally in Regards to #1 Co-Op. I have found it difficult to Figure out which games have what level of Co-Op/SplitScreen. So I am looking for Comments in regards to good Co-Op or SplitScreen Games and to what level that is supported. For Instance; Warhawk is Online Only but supports 4 Players on the Same System. Resistance supports 2 Players in Split Screen Campaign Co-Op, 4 Players in Offline Splitscreen MultilPlayer but not Online. Haze supports 2 Players in Split Screen Campaign Co-Op Offline, 2 Players in Offline Splitscreen MultiPlayer with Bots, 2 Players Online in a MultiPlayer match, and 2 Players in SplitScreen with 2 other players In SplitScreen for 4 Players total through the Campaign Co-Op. (I am bummed it does not do 4 Players SplitScreen) I was trying to Find out what level of Co-Op/Split-Screen was supported in GRAW2, R6V1, R6V2 and it was difficult to find this information. Anyone who has played any of these games your input would be appreciated.
bigcr47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bigcr47
Member since 2003 • 236 Posts

i agree wholeheartedly, the lack of "Co-op" explanatins on game cases infuriates me, it should say (1-4 players offline)(1-2 co-op offline) (1-4 co-op online) (1-32 online) or something like that maybe just an icon with a number to show us if it supports co-op offline and how many or co-op online and how many, when i got vegas it said 1-4 multiplayer, which is ambiguous and untrue, it only supports 2 players or 1 online

Kruegmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 Kruegmeister
Member since 2003 • 539 Posts
I've been doing research on this. It seems Rainbow Six Vegas and Ghost Recon Games have Variations of Co-Op in Split-screen. R6V1 does 4 players through the Whole Campaign as well as Terrorist Hut. R6V2 does 2 players through the Campaign and 4 in Terrorist Hunt. GRAW2 does Only 1 Player through Campaign, but has 6 Separate 4 Player Split Screen Campaigns. I'm probably gonna pick up R6V1 and GRAW2 since they are older and you can get them pretty cheap. I'll update my Findings after I try them.
shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts
I agree with all your points apart from vehicles. Some games will just not work with them. Rainbow 6 vegas to name one. I can see why you name Resistance but once again, apart from a warthog type of vehicle, i cant see much more scope. This is because it will end up turning more to the UT3 spectrum which i personally do not enjoy. I do however agree that there maybe should be a vehicle in resistance which can get you into battle quickly.