mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I have been trying to get any concrete info on whether this game is for sure coming to PS4. It was said quite a while ago that it was but I wonder if anything has changed. Anyone know? I would really love to play it but not quite enough to buy an Xbox One. I wonder if No Man's Sky will be out before this is ready. Seems like it could steal a lot of it's thunder. Opinions? Thoughts?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@mark1974: It's still coming, the devs just signed a timed exclusive deal with Xbox first, but their plan to port the game to PS4 was already announced.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/elite-dangerous-is-coming-to-ps4-braben-clarifies/1100-6425716/

Elite: Dangerous is Coming to PS4, Braben Clarifies

Xbox One exclusive deal has timed expiry date; Project also expected to come to Mac.

Elite: Dangerous will eventually ship on a number of platforms, including PlayStation 4, its creator has said.

David Braben, the founder of Frontier Developments, wrote on Twitter that the Xbox One edition is actually a timed console exclusive. This clarification comes just a day after Braben discussed the project as an Xbox One exclusive.

When congratulated by a fan for porting the game to Xbox One, Braben replied: "Sure. Mac of course, then down the line we will support more, including PS4. The XB1 is a timed exclusive."

It seems the timed exclusive deal doesn't allow for him to give an exact date, which is typical of timed exclusives. It's to prevent people from waiting for a different version and hoping people will buy the game on the timed exclusive platform.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mark1974

@SolidTy: Thanks! I had already seen that info but was wondering if it was still happening. Your point about him not being able to give an exact date was enlightening. Thank you! I enjoyed the original on my Commodore64. I enjoyed everything back then. it was an oddity. I love watching videos of this game on youtube, I need it in my life.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolidTy

@mark1974: You're welcome! :P

Yeah, the developer and creator confirmed the PS4 version is still indeed incoming, they just can't talk about it under contract. Once they took that bag of M$ cash, it came with some stipulations per the usual. The PS4 version going to be an easy port too, as the PS4 architecture is X86 like the Xbone, but the PS4 also will grant the developer some extra juice as well as it's the more powerful machine. That could translate into better frame rate, better textures, or whatever, if they even bother. The PS4 version just shelved for the time being and not talking about it is exactly the normal in these types of deals, again to sell the Xbone version. Timed exclusives typically run between 3 months to a year. We aren't privy to how long this particular deal is.

If I had to bet, I imagine the dev (along with other devs) are waiting for a big trade show to make an announcement, like E3 in a few months. It will get the excitement up.

Glad you enjoyed the Commodore64, it was a neat machine back in the day. My cousin and I used to play for hours.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Its crap any way.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mark1974

@skipper847 said:

Its crap any way.

Did you play it? What didn't you like about it? Do you usually enjoy space sims or like the concept? I would appreciate your input greatly.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts
@mark1974 said:
@skipper847 said:

Its crap any way.

Did you play it? What didn't you like about it? Do you usually enjoy space sims or like the concept? I would appreciate your input greatly.

Yes I like space sims a lot and other simulation games like FSX. This shouldn't have been released as a full product when it was just the base game. I have also got Horizons season pass. I have spent £70 on this game and have around 30 hour in base game and have 57 hours in horizon. AI has gotten worse since base game as no matter what speed your going in battle (NPC) just ram you. Might as well be no missions in game and when you first start missions are too hard. Every system is the same just a different colour star. Has some nice effects like asteroid round planets in systems but that it.

Patch 2.1 was meant to come out this month but been delayed until June. So I will wait until then to play it again. This patch is meant to improve the missions on the mission board and other good graphic effects in space. So I will give it a second chance after this patch comes out.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mark1974

@skipper847: well that doesn't sound too good. Maybe by the time it comes out for Playstation it will have more content and hopefully they will release a complete edition.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidTy

@mhsolo:

It's not difficult to say if it's coming.

The developer and owner of the company (David Braben, the founder of Frontier Developments) already confirmed the PS4 version (I posted a link above with a confirmation), he's just not allowed to talk about exact release dates yet. This is pretty typical of timed exclusive agreements. You can ask them on Facebook all you want, but they can't break the agreement once they took the M$ cash to be a timed exclusive. There have been dozens upon dozens of timed exclusive agreements over the last two decades and they were the same way. The deals don't allow for the devs to talk about other versions in hopes of selling more hardware, in this case more Xbones.

I would look to announcements for more news on the already confirmed PS4 version, a few months after the it releases on Xbone.

MEGALODON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MEGALODON
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

I am so grateful for Elite. Played this as many have on the commodore 64 thirty years ago. I an sure i can say that when those of us who remember the original were excited to play an updated modern re envisioning better with the original creator sorry one of the original creators David Braben.

I am getting fed up with pc having to check cpu and ram and graphics card every time I want to play a new game. Dont have thousands of dollars to keep up grading my pc every time a new game comes out.

Xb1 all the way sorry Playsation fans Sony lost its credibility with me in the Ps2 days and sorry I wont go back. I will say this I do hope that Elite Dangerous comes out for PS4 as Elite is a very special game.

David Braben and Ian Bell did to video games as George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry did to science fiction.

To me Elite has bever been a game but more of an experience. At least you can play it where's star citizen after millions of dollars has been raised for this??

I read some comments some complaints rather from a gamer on this topic. I politely ask you to stop thinking from I gotta beat this game. A true game is one youll never finish.

Theres always more credits to make missions to do reputation to earn planets to explore in the most realistic model of the milky way 400 billion star systems. Thats fine for me because I dont care about beating Elite I care about experiencing it. Definitely a game I will play for the rest of my life and till the day I die.

Elite requires patience and skill. If youre not willing to learn the fundamental skills required to do well in the game please choose a different game. If you look at Elite as a game then you missed the whole idea about the game. I caught myself playing elite for months at a time even years. Ive never felt it repetitive and if you are understanding that youre a career space trading pilot then just enjoy the experience.

Now for a moment ask yourselves.... How many games out there exist which offer such unlimited gameplay and replay value ??? If there are any that exist they are extremely rare.

My list includes Elite Xcom and xcom2 replayable YES. Challenging YES.

Im not here to argue just believe that many overlook this about Elite and I am passionate about this game enough to take a moment to share what this gem means to me. I hope this helps the people new to Elite really understand that Elite Dangerous isnt a game any more. Kerbal Space Program is another phenomenal sandbox. You actually learn about what real astronauts have to do.

Elite Dangerous was also mentioning to me after i contacted them about working on cross platform support this is also rare. Horizons is a very cool expansion and buying the season pass is like adding what you could do in frontier (Elite 2).

Thank you for allowing me to share and I hope people who arent sure about the game Elite to enbrace it and really give it a chance. It may not be a million hits per second but what can happen is rarely the same.

Over the years several games have come out having much of the core of what activities Elite had. Freelancer wing commander privateer among others older and new.

Truth is No mans sky and Star Citizen feature elements of Elite. Theyre copying the concept just puttig a different look on it.

But truth be told Elite is constantly going to be worked on Horizons isnt finished yet but who ever buys it will get content as its released.

Many games copy Elite but in my opinion NONE HAVE EQUALLED.

Thank you

Avatar image for stu1smartcookie
stu1smartcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stu1smartcookie
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

@megalodon: Nice piece on Elite .. I remember it from the old days ... before the empire ...oh sorry , caught up in star wars there.. I actually sold my xbox one to get on the No mans Sky bandwagon and whilst I really like that game , its really a visual colourfest that doesn't seem , shall we say , real! I much prefer Elite ...with its grittiness and its difficulty and its unforgiving nature . The fact that updates are continually being programmed for it and the fact that there are thousands of "serious " players out there makes it for me . So , cos I , don't want to get bogged down in PC specs and upgrades (lets face it , if you are going to play on PC you need a serious rig) , I'm going to go back to xbox one , and I am going to invest in the upgrade ie horizons. Yeah I know it may come out on ps4 but I want it NOW! So , long live Elite ...In space No One Can Hear You Scream .. but at least there's a community out there for you !... and a realistic universe to explore .

sirdir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sirdir
Member since 2016 • 2 Posts

I have a PS4 as well as an XBOX One. It's driving me crazy I can't get the Playstation VR and enjoy Elite with it.

Even when it'll come out one day, it would still be a waste of hundreds of hours of gameplay to change to the PS4. It's just a pity your commander isn't 'platform independent'.

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts

Won't be out until Fall 2017 now. They just announced the Elite Dangerous Ultimate Edition, which will release in November. No way they will release a digital version of the game for PS4 between now and then end of June, only to release a physical copy in November.

Q2 was just another lie.

jeremyvanmarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 jeremyvanmarle
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

@Zoomer30: Where did you find that info? Last time I checked (today) it still said qua latest news that its comming Q2 if it does release in november im really pissed off but if in late june thats still in the Q2 window since that is start of april till the end of june.