does the ps3 output 5.1 audio via hdmi?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#1 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

i have 5.1 sound system but it only has 1 optical in. If i use the optical out on my tv and connect it to the speakers then use hdmi audio on the ps3 will the audio that comes out be surround sound? im able to set on the tv if i want to use the tv speakers or the external speakers and then gives me the option for auto or pcm for external sound. There are lots of audio options that i dunno about so before i go messing its better to know if the ps3 even sends a 5.1 signal through hdmi

i would prefer to keep the optical connected to the tv as i use it for netflix and other movies so id prefer not to have to connect the ps3 directly to the speakers

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

The PS3 will output 5.1.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
Just checked the owner's manual and it does indeed support 5.1 through HDMI as well as 7.1.
MC-Reap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MC-Reap
Member since 2011 • 595 Posts
I don't understand your set up. You don't want to connect the PS3 directly to your speakers, so you have the hdmi running from PS3 to your TV, then the optical from your TV to your speakers? But you say you want to keep it like that because of Netflix and movies, which can both be handled by the PS3. So why not just keep the PS3 connected via hdmi, and run the optical from the PS3 to your speakers and cut out the middle man?
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
Of course the PS3 supports 5.1 through HDMI. HDMI is the best possible connection. PS3 can do 7.1 LOSSLESS via HDMI. Optical connection is limited to dolby digital (lossy) 5.1 or PCM (lossless) 2.0 stereo, that's not just the PS3 but what optical connections are limited to in general. It sounds like he's asking for some weird conneciton, where he connects his PS3 to the TV via HDMI, and then the TV to his speakers via optical (is that right?). So the optical connection would be the "lowest common denominator" (thereby best possible scenario is 5.1 lossy or 2.0 lossless). The question here is not that the PS3 can do 5.1, because it obviously can regardless of HDMI or optical. The question is what is the TV outputting via it's optical output? I fear the TV would probably be downsampling to 2.0 and not support passing through the 5.1 to the speakers.
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#7 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
I don't understand your set up. You don't want to connect the PS3 directly to your speakers, so you have the hdmi running from PS3 to your TV, then the optical from your TV to your speakers? But you say you want to keep it like that because of Netflix and movies, which can both be handled by the PS3. So why not just keep the PS3 connected via hdmi, and run the optical from the PS3 to your speakers and cut out the middle man? MC-Reap
thanks for the help everyone i shall do that so. and just for the record the reason for this setup is because i have netflix on my tv and i much prefer to use that over the ps3 version. i also have an ntfs hard drive for 3d movies an the ps3 doesnt support ntfs so i cant use the ps3 for movies.