Does the PS3 have a generation defining game with personality yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mickyplankon
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts

Playstation 1 had Wipeout and Lara Croft.

PS2 had GTA3

Xbox has Halo

Nintendo has Zelda and Mario.

What does PS3 have?

Bioshock?, Infamous?, Uncharted?

All great games but not quite there are we? Do we need abig game with a bigpersonality?

BlackendV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BlackendV
Member since 2007 • 1929 Posts
While all Playstations have been about having many great games and therefore having no mascott like Mario, Sonic or Mastercheif. Uncharted is definetly a series I'll look back and remember about this Gen, It's a series I recomend to anyone picking up a PS3.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

uncharted and little big planet are the only real contenders, but I wouldn't call either generation-defining, perhaps the best is yet to come

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mickyplankon

Yes its technically a great game and playable too, but Uncharted misses that X factor needed to catipult it into legendary status IMO

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mickyplankon

Maybe it could be the Last Guardian - but i suspect that it will not capture the imagination of enough people.....

craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

MGS4? Big contender, old snake is a great character and this game had 20 years of story and character development behind it, groundbreaking in so many ways; it made some huge statements. It perfectly combined solid graphics with seamless gameplay and involving cutscenes. It is a game which allows players to take away from it what they want and to be utterly satisfied at the end, wanting to return hopefully for years to come.

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mickyplankon

MGS4? Big contender, old snake is a great character and this game had 20 years of story and character development behind it, groundbreaking in so many ways; it made some huge statements. It perfectly combined solid graphics with seamless gameplay and involving cutscenes. It is a game which allows players to take away from it what they want and to be utterly satisfied at the end, wanting to return hopefully for years to come.

craigofadown

Maybe - but MGS is a bit like FF. For every person that loves it and cant put it down, there are 2 people who just dont get what the fuss is about at all (i am one of the 2 people)

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
I personally am an inFAMOUS fanboy, but theres also MGS, Little Big Planet, Uncharted, and Ratchet & Clank.
shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts
Do we really need one? A generation defining game with personality, according to you isn't really about the quality, it's about how heavily it's marketed. Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of this generation, yet you dismiss it as it was nothing. That game has personality in spades, with perfectly fleshed out characters, amazing set-pieces and subtle humour. If you want a generation-defining game then that is it.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

I'd say either LittleBigPlanet 2 or Heavy Rain.

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mickyplankon
Do we really need one? A generation defining game with personality, according to you isn't really about the quality, it's about how heavily it's marketed. Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of this generation, yet you dismiss it as it was nothing. That game has personality in spades, with perfectly fleshed out characters, amazing set-pieces and subtle humour. If you want a generation-defining game then that is it.shani_boy101
Check my first post again - i have definately not dismissed Uncharted 2. I think it is a great game and i agree with you up to a point. But in reality it lacks any invention or innovation or sparkle. Its a really well put together game with great set pieces and cut scenes- but completely generic. Nothing new, or groundbreaking or inspiring for me.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#12 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts
dragon age series, demons souls, killzone series, infamous series, resistance series, LBP, ninja geiden sigma series. but still the game xbox has is fable, and nintendo has zelda.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I don't think any Playstation has a true mascot, as ND say they make a new IP for every Playstation so i don't think a Mascot is in Sony's list of things to get. I just want good games and Sony bring them so who cares about having the same face plastered on everything Sony makes, it gets annoying as hell seeing Mario plastered on a new game every couple of months.

craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

Perhaps the ps3 has no standout mascot or game in particular, rather a number of great games and a group of mascots that offer something for everyone in the same way that the playstation 3's predecessors have, or would seem to have.

Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shawtymann
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts

what about God of War 3

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mickyplankon

what about God of War 3

Shawtymann

I think the GOW games are a good shout for the Playstation 2, but GOW 3 was too tryhard. they lost it with that one.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

Kevin butler is playstations mascot.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I seriously think the Uncharted series, and more specifically Nathan Drake, have really been the flagship series for the PS3.

master_m11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 master_m11
Member since 2008 • 2436 Posts
resistance was a great series but going off one major game and character would be metal gear and snake.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

PS3 has Uncharted, Infamous and Resistance that i'll remember when i think back on the PS3.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

So Uncharted and Little Big Planet and InFamous and God Of War, and so on aren't generation defining with personality? Yet HALO IS? Seriously. Thread should be closed, somebody kick the TC off the PS3 boards.

No Halo games has won as many awards or received as much critical acclaim as Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 is the most critically acclaimed and praised game of all time with it's only competition being Half Life 2. Halo is known for it's multiplayer and most would agree that it's not the best multiplayer game out there anyways.

Sorry, just impossible to take you seriously after that. Mario is defining. Mario defines gaming in general.

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mickyplankon

Thread should be closed, somebody kick the TC off the PS3 boards.

contracts420
who are you to say that? is this forum an open debate or are we all little fascist fanboys?
Wildesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wildesy
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts
Wipeout and Lara Croft were generation defining...? Really?? Would've gone with something like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy personally
Zodiac_attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zodiac_attack
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

Im not gonna lie twisted metal is a pretty damn good game so i would say that one is pretty defining

hkymike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 hkymike
Member since 2003 • 2425 Posts
UNCHARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="contracts420"]

Thread should be closed, somebody kick the TC off the PS3 boards.

mickyplankon

who are you to say that? is this forum an open debate or are we all little fascist fanboys?

I'm not a fanboy, I enjoy both consoles. But to say Halo is defining, but nothing on PS3 is generation defining, that's just crazy. The TC seems more like a Lem to me.

This would seem like a debate if we were debating which character on the PS Roster would be the frontman for the console this gen, but that is not what this thread is about... he decided that PS3 probably doesn't have that game and character that is generation defining. Yet apparently Halo and Masterchief is.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Uncharted is easily generation defining with personality. What more does it need to do!? Theres already 2 new uncharted games coming out soon as well. Nathan Drake is now a figurine, theres Uncharted the Eye of Indra, and a pinball level. What else does it need to satisfy you TC?

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
MGS 4
Pawfalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Pawfalcon
Member since 2003 • 1087 Posts

Uncharted if anything. Little Big Planet comes in second. And the rest like Killzone, MGS4, God of War, etc. 3rd or lower. All but Uncharted and LBP have been on other systems (not including PSP) and aren't really "PS3 generation defining". And while LBP is awesome and the sackboy would make a great mascot like Mario or Sonic I don't think it really represents the PS3 and it's users properly (my personal opinion of course), plus its not really as "blockbuster-ish" as Uncharted. Uncharted on the other hand is... well, a blockbuster. No gamer hasn't heard of it, and not too many PS3 gamers haven't played it or own it. It also fits the PS3's more mature and varied audience better (its movie-esque quality doesn't hurt since many PS3 owners/users use the system mostly for it's Blu-ray capabilities). This again, is just a personal opinion.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Infamous

killzone

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Uncharted series I think. That's what most people seem to think of when you mention a PS3.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
id have to say if your getting a ps3, then Uncharted1-3, Killzone 2,3, Resistane 1,2,3, GT5, Twisted metal, demon souls, infamous should all be in your library. But of all the games that ive played on PS3, id say that UC2 really shows off what a PS3 can do.(maybe KZ3) UC2 is what i got a ps3 for and it is still my fav game ive gotten.
atxman06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 atxman06
Member since 2004 • 108 Posts

Yes its technically a great game and playable too, but Uncharted misses that X factor needed to catipult it into legendary status IMO

mickyplankon

Care to elaborate on this so-called X factor that Uncharted apparently lacks? I think "your opinion" is just that, an opinion, to say that "you" don't think Uncharted isn't the face of the PS3 is just "your" opinion. Majority rules brutha, just by perusing through this thread and seeing the general consensus Uncharted seems to be the majority.. as i would go on to bet would be the same in any other thread made along the same naive and oppionated lines as this.

doomguy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 doomguy9
Member since 2011 • 355 Posts

Killzone and Uncharted.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

For me it's Resistance Fall of Man, but it probably isn't for too many other people. Honestly, I don't think there's one that really defines the gen... And it doesn't matter either.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

[QUOTE="craigofadown"]

mickyplankon

Maybe - but MGS is a bit like FF. For every person that loves it and cant put it down, there are 2 people who just dont get what the fuss is about at all (i am one of the 2 people)

Same here, I tried getting into the MGS series and I just don't see what's so great about it. It would have to be a series/game that started on the ps3. Sure, there's Uncharted, Resistance, LBP, and KZ2/3 but none of them are overly amazing. Though it would probably be between U2 and LBP2. I didn't like the U3 mp beta so idk if Uncharted will be it for me. U2 is one of the best games I've played this gen, so it may simply be one game in the series that has it (though, Elena is rather annoying). Though, even with the ps2 I can't really think of just one defining game, and as others have said, sony likes to get a lot of really good exclusives so everyone thinks of a different one when looking back.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

[QUOTE="mickyplankon"]

atxman06

Care to elaborate on this so-called X factor that Uncharted apparently lacks? I think "your opinion" is just that, an opinion, to say that "you" don't think Uncharted isn't the face of the PS3 is just "your" opinion. Majority rules brutha, just by perusing through this thread and seeing the general consensus Uncharted seems to be the majority.. as i would go on to bet would be the same in any other thread made along the same naive and oppionated lines as this.

I think what he means is that U2 gets a lot of its publicity from the graphics. After all, it's not the most original concept or anything, it's just all executed pretty solid. If you've seen Indiana Jones or National Treasure then you've pretty much seen the premise of the game. I like the game quite a bit (granted, it was my 1st ps3 game) but can definitely see how people wouldn't think it's the best ps3 game (plus, as I always say when U2 is brought up, Elena is annoying).

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mickyplankon

[QUOTE="atxman06"]

[QUOTE="mickyplankon"]

blueboxdoctor

I think what he means is that U2 gets a lot of its publicity from the graphics. After all, it's not the most original concept or anything, it's just all executed pretty solid. If you've seen Indiana Jones or National Treasure then you've pretty much seen the premise of the game. I like the game quite a bit (granted, it was my 1st ps3 game) but can definitely see how people wouldn't think it's the best ps3 game (plus, as I always say when U2 is brought up, Elena is annoying).

Yep this is pretty much what i meant. The execution of Uncharted 2 cannot be faulted. Its damn near perfect in that respect. I really enjoyed playing it (up to the final boss battle whichwas a bit lame IMO) but after i had completed thegametheexperience did not leave me thinking "Wow thatis the first gamelike that i have ever played". I ask what legacy will it leave? What new gameplay ideas are in there that will inspire developers in years to come? Will you replay this game in 5 years time and be reminded of how groundbreaking it was? Im just not so sure myself. Thats why im not sure that U2 is worthy of the labelof a game that defines this generation and this platform right now.

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mickyplankon

I would like to add as TC that the true answer to whether or not Uncharted will be the Playstation 3s Magnum Opus will be determined by the following factors which cannot be predicted right now:

1. How good UC3 turns out to be.

2. Whether anything else turns up in the next couple of years that blows it away.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

heavy rain has got as much personality a game can have

Random-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Random-Target
Member since 2011 • 178 Posts

Maybe infamous, but be patient and it will come

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

what i like about sony is each generation it has a new set of high standard games, and never really much of a follow on.

take for example uncharted, a great game a master piece of what an action adventure should be, yes it isn't orginal but it's a game what defines what that genre should be. just like tomb raider did. that is a great defining game for the ps3, same goes for mgs, what a fantastic end to a game character what has been going for 20years, it was a defining piece of art, a game with graphics to die for in cut scenes and in game, the story and gameplay may not suit all but everyone agree's on what it has done for the ps3. little big planet now this defines the ps3, this is the first real game to allow you to build your own levels which are playable in single player mode, this is completly orginal in the way you design and have such freedom for a console game, with number2 being able to make your own game defines this generation, making any type of game, yes it isn't for everyone, it isn't for me i get bored easily and my creative skills aren't to great but you go online and see what people have made and it is just amazing.

see for me ps3 is the only console what doesn't need a defining game with personality because it has lots.

unlike the 360 or the xbox still holding onto there one beloved halo, which for me isn't that good, yea the first one was a great but really the rest they didn't interest me same old same old.

nintendo exactly the same, they've had the same characters for 20years and thats wot sells there consoles, dont get me wrong mario is great and all the cast and zelda you can't be the greats but at the same time, it is the same old thing just reinvented, luckily it's pulled off for them unlike sega with sonic.

sony seem to have a few defining games each console, but it is different each generation for them, not one standalone franchise to support them, unlike 360 and nintendo when times are tough lets through in another halo game or mario/zelda game.