Do you think sony will release DLC that will allow PS2 backwards compatability?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soldine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 soldine
Member since 2007 • 1980 Posts

I got the 160 Giger and im bumbed because I cant play MGS3 or call of duty finest hour. Its not even chrome plated!?!

ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts

I got the 160 Giger and im bumbed because I cant play MGS3 or call of duty finest hour. Its not even chrome plated!?!

soldine
no offense but this is y im glad i got a ps3 when it launched, a little expensive, but its worth it, especially now. but for you're question, yes i think they will release a firmware update or sumthing that will allow it. once the cost for the system itself lowers.
TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TehSonofUgly
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts

once the ps2 is out of production and has stopped selling i think sony will start off selling ps2 games over psn then eventually make B/C avaible whether it'd be free or not idk

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts

soldine
Probably not.If anything they would just release an update for the older consoles.....Maybe.The PS2 console is dirt cheap now so if you really want to play those games just go and buy one of those.Sony made the Announcement awhile back that they were done with BC.To me it is not a huge deal anymore.
ShadowBass989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ShadowBass989
Member since 2004 • 1734 Posts
[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"][QUOTE="soldine"]

Probably not.If anything they would just release an update for the older consoles.....Maybe.The PS2 console is dirt cheap now so if you really want to play those games just go and buy one of those.Sony made the Announcement awhile back that they were done with BC.To me it is not a huge deal anymore.

true, u have a ps3 to play ps3 games. i honestly havent played that many ps2 games n e more. but i still have my slim ps2 just incase i want to change it up for a bit.
InN3rChi011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#6 InN3rChi011
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts

well my ps2 is next to my ps3 soo.....

SolidusHo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidusHo
Member since 2005 • 538 Posts

no, if they were, they would have done it already. it's not like they DON'T have the emulation.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

There is a possibility, not until they stop production of the PS2 though

SirOWNZalot86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SirOWNZalot86
Member since 2008 • 695 Posts

buy the Backwards compatibility add on... its like $99 or something...

http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/games/slideshow/rip-ps2/img_1.jpg

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
Well, I've already got my PS2 sitting besides my PS3. Granted, I haven't been playing on it much, except for nostalgia purposes or going back to tackle games I didn't finish (Final Fantasy XII, God of War 2, Resident Evil 4), or playing the current gen titles released exclusively on the PS2 platform (Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories, Persona 4).
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
lol DLC? that would actually be a firmware update if they were to do this. fortunately i dont have to worry since i own a 60GB :D however, i dont play ps2 games on my ps3 anyway, i just use my ps2 ;)
MassacreMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 MassacreMonk
Member since 2005 • 3379 Posts

SirOWNZalot86

Exactly, if people care about BC that much just get a PS2 for 99$. If not just buy a used PS2.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Yeah you should be able to find a used PS2 for about 20-70 bucks.
bullet189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bullet189
Member since 2005 • 2093 Posts
That's why I kept mine even though my PS3 is bc. But it still doesn't play some games like Ar tonelico 2
SirOWNZalot86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SirOWNZalot86
Member since 2008 • 695 Posts

i have one of my old ps2's but i need to buy a video cable for it! i think i have an extra componet laying around here... i also need to find a network adapter so i can put in my hard drive and relive my HD loader days lol we need a PS3 HD loader

TIGERLIONX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TIGERLIONX
Member since 2004 • 914 Posts

its impossible, since the BC of the older models were able due to a chip inside the ps3, this was removed for the newer versions, the only way to play ps2 games on a recent ps3 version would be via the PSN store, just like that. or if they launch another version with BC in it, but i dont think that would happen

cheez-it_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 cheez-it_kid
Member since 2008 • 702 Posts
How does a 60gb have BC but not a 120?!?
Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts
No, they won't. They haven't even falsely gave hope for it like sony always does (GT4 online, E3 bs, permanent hardware BC, etc). It is done, like one of sony's people said on an interview posted by GS. Anyways, pure software BC would suck. Just look at the good 80gb bc, it had partial hardware and still had a lot of problems.
Kyuubi_Vegetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kyuubi_Vegetto
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts

How does a 60gb have BC but not a 120?!?cheez-it_kid

Maybe cause when Sony were making newer model PS3's they decided on removing some of the technology that originally enabled backwards compatiblity (supposedly to cut costs).

60 Gb = High BC

80 Gb = Low BC

120 Gb = No BC

Anybody Bawwwing over this has no one but themselves to get mad at.

shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts
ITS A HARDWARE ISSUE. Its not a DLC thing. It CANNOT be done.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

I wish they could make some kind of USB adapter and a patch that could BC PS2 games.

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

soldine

As much as I wish they would, I don't think they will. I say this because I see them wanting to milk us even more. I think instead of BC, they will just start putting PS2 games on PSN for you to buy (yet again). I am happy I still have my original fat PS2. I take it apart about 1-2 times a year to clean it and it works like a brand new PS2. I also take my controllers apart and clean them to keep them working like new. Once I get another PS3 and it's warranty runs out, I will do the same thing to it.

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

ITS A HARDWARE ISSUE. Its not a DLC thing. It CANNOT be done. shabab12
Wait...Isn't a emulator, software? If so, then no it isn't a hardware issue. The first PS3s ran BC with hardware, but the 80 that has BC does it with emulation. So again, if a emulator is just some software to allow a game to run on a system, then yes BC can be brought back through a firmware update. I have never dealt with emulation, so I am not sure if a emulator is a piece of hardware or software.

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TehSonofUgly

[QUOTE="shabab12"]ITS A HARDWARE ISSUE. Its not a DLC thing. It CANNOT be done. TheGreatOutdoor

Wait...Isn't a emulator, software? If so, then no it isn't a hardware issue. The first PS3s ran BC with hardware, but the 80 that has BC does it with emulation. So again, if a emulator is just some software to allow a game to run on a system, then yes BC can be brought back through a firmware update. I have never dealt with emulation, so I am not sure if a emulator is a piece of hardware or software.

Well the 80gb had extra hardware aswell to help with the emulation. But it is possible to do a full emulation, a couple of coders made a ps2 emulator for pc in their spare time, so Sony could make a full emulation on the ps3 w/out added hardware

Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
No, thats not going to happen. Its more Hardware than data.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts

[QUOTE="soldine"]As much as I wish they would, I don't think they will. I say this because I see them wanting to milk us even more. I think instead of BC, they will just start putting PS2 games on PSN for you to buy (yet again). I am happy I still have my original fat PS2. I take it apart about 1-2 times a year to clean it and it works like a brand new PS2. I also take my controllers apart and clean them to keep them working like new. Once I get another PS3 and it's warranty runs out, I will do the same thing to it.

TheGreatOutdoor
it's not to milk us, it's because people complained about the ps3 being so much so they removed what they could to lower the price. gawd...

[QUOTE="shabab12"]ITS A HARDWARE ISSUE. Its not a DLC thing. It CANNOT be done. TheGreatOutdoor

The 80 gig used software emulation for the processor but still had hardware put in for the gpu.
bpw8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bpw8
Member since 2002 • 558 Posts
paying 99 for a system to play ps2 games plus 10 for component cables and 40 for wireless controllers. So that is not appealing to me. We don't really do wires makes the living room messy. but the main reason i got the ps3 is because it would play all the games in my library. right now i am playing through the god of war series and my wife is playing final fantasy x-2. it would suck if the ps3 died. i really dont want several systems to play my games. it was worth the price i paid for to have all that and BC.
NoOne-NBA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 NoOne-NBA-
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts
I still think they removed it to save themselves the headache. There were nothing but problems with it from the start. They kept tweaking it, and (IMO) finally decided it was easier to get rid of it, than support it. I didn't need BC anyway because I had to keep my PS2 when I upgraded. I wanted to keep playing shooting games, and my PS1 lightguns will only hook up via the Playstation ports.
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

I doubt it. Anyway, I don't care as I own the launch 60gig :D.

reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
removing BC = stupidest idea ever
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#31 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I'm extremely glad that I got a ps3 when it came out. I have the 60GB. They probably wil come out with it but I doubt it will be anytime soon.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18798 Posts
Sony should improve PS1/PS2 support by allowing in game XMB access while playing PS1/PS2 games. i just re bought Devil May Cry(2001) Twisted Metal Black(2001/02) GTA San Andreas(2004) all for $23 . it be cool if u can listen to ur music
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

I don't care really because I just sold my PS2 and 50+ games and accesories to get a PS3 with KZ2. I lost my CoD collection and my entire Sly Cooper trilogy as well as a lot of other great games.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

[QUOTE="SirOWNZalot86"]

MassacreMonk

Exactly, if people care about BC that much just get a PS2 for 99$. If not just buy a used PS2.

You would still have to buy memory cards, extra controllers, and better audio/video cables (unless you're content with composite). And even then you don't get upscaling support.

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

isnt backwards compatibility somewhere in the hardware? i dont know if a FW update has the power to change the entire system like that. i heard somewhere that Sony saved about $100 per console in ditching BC, so i assume its a hardware issue

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts

once the ps2 is out of production and has stopped selling i think sony will start off selling ps2 games over psn then eventually make B/C avaible whether it'd be free or not idk

TehSonofUgly
My thoughts exactly.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ThePlothole

Well the 80gb had extra hardware aswell to help with the emulation. But it is possible to do a full emulation, a couple of coders made a ps2 emulator for pc in their spare time, so Sony could make a full emulation on the ps3 w/out added hardware

TehSonofUgly

Those emulators seem to require a whole lot more RAM than the PS3 has. (even taking into account the footprint of the operating system)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18798 Posts
im not sure but isnt the Emotion Engine $27?
TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TehSonofUgly

[QUOTE="TehSonofUgly"]

ThePlothole

Those emulators seem to require a whole lot more RAM than the PS3 has. (even taking into account the footprint of the operating system)

well pcsx2 doens't use that much RAM, less than most PC games, but it does require a very fast processor (although thats what the PS3 cell is, right? :P

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
[QUOTE="TehSonofUgly"]

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="TehSonofUgly"]

well pcsx2 doens't use that much RAM, less than most PC games, but it does require a very fast processor (although thats what the PS3 cell is, right? :P

But developers remind us constantly that the processor for the ps3 is hard to develop for, even a universal PS2 emulator. That is why the 360 (i believe) did emulation separately for xbox game to be playable, which will probably be how the PS3 will do it in the future. Release PS2 games on psn with the emulation updated at the same time so you do not have to buy the game again if you already own it.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ThePlothole
TehSonofUgly

That isn't saying much. One complaint developers seem to occasionally bring up every console generation is how restrictive consoles are in terms of RAM. Anyways, the one you mentioned requires 512MB of system memory. 1GB recommended. The PS3 has 512MB total (ie the sum of both system and graphics memory).

The Cell is not directly comparable to a more conventional PC CPU. It does some things better, but others worse.

TehSonofUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TehSonofUgly

That isn't saying much. One complaint developers seem to occasionally bring up every console generation is how restrictive consoles are in terms of RAM. Anyways, the one you mentioned requires 512MB of system memory. 1GB recommended. The PS3 has 512MB total (ie the sum of both system and graphics memory).

The Cell is not directly comparable to a more conventional PC CPU. It does some things better, but others worse.

ThePlothole

True, but i think with Sony making it they could make it a lot more effecient and maybe a possibility way down the line

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I really would like for ps2 backwards compatibility to be put back in, but lately I'm thinking it may not be a possibility anymore. If you think about it, having a $300 console that can play the ENTIRE Playstation back catalogue is a huge selling point. I understand the ps2 still sells, but you would think that Sony would want the ps3 in as many homes as possible, especially considering the extended length of this generation. It doesn't make sense to me.

hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

no, if they were, they would have done it already. it's not like they DON'T have the emulation.

SolidusHo
Yeah they could have put it in a firmware like a while ago i reckon, if they could have it would have been wise to do it when they cut the ps3 slim price in october. Then they couldah added plays last gen games to their list of features.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

thelastguy

Wouldn't this encourage PS2 owners to advance up to the PS3 if they can play their current PS2 games on a PS3.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

thelastguy

Well here in UK it seems like production of the PS2 ended a way long time ago-To find a brand new PS2 in any gaming shop is about as rare as rocking horse s*it !

RazerBlade13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RazerBlade13
Member since 2008 • 3822 Posts

Until they stop producing PS2s, it ain't gonna happen. I really want it too though.

shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts

soldine
i think they will once the PS2 is discontinued, and since it's still selling strong for a 10 year old console, I think it will be a while.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I don't think that the ps2 being around should matter though, because shouldn't sonys focus be on the ps3? $300 for a ps1, ps2, ps3, AND a blu ray player? Sony is missing, or has missed, major opportunities to eat into the console market share.