Do you think pirating a game is as bad as buying it used?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 0

#1 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

There's an article on Gamestop,

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6315009/index.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B3

and someone from Microsoft is quoted as saying "second-hand sales cost us more in the long-run than piracy these days".

So do you think buying a game used is as bad as pirating a game?

And for the record, I'm laying claim to a new phrase, "what a crock of microsoft" - my first thoughts after reading this quote.

If I could be guaranteed that I when I buy a game it is not a piece of garbage, is bug free and stable online I wouldn't have such a problem shelling out $60.00 bucks for it but that day seems about as far off as the rapture.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
It's not as bad but I don't condone either. At least with used game sales the developer got some money already.
lalalei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 lalalei
Member since 2010 • 203 Posts

Agreed, at least with used they made some money originally.

Are they going to start blaming people who wait to buy games once the price drops too?

TH3xD4RKNESS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TH3xD4RKNESS
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts
I don't think that buying used game sales are as bad as pirating games. At least with used games, somebody gets money.
Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
the result is the same: no money to developers. used games might be hurting a lot more though because practically every place that sells video games nowadays sells a ton of used games. pirating on the other hand isn't hard to do, but it's not as many as internet makes it seem to be.
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts

used games are hurting them more, yes at one point they did get money but, after its sold back and someone else buys it they dont get any money. with pirating they arent giaining or losing money. becuase there was no sale in the first place. i like the way notch put pirtaing

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I don't understand how they come to that conclusion. At all.

If 10 people buy Uncharted at £40 but then trade it in at a later date, they have made £400 regardless of what happens to that disk.

If 10 people pirate Uncharted, they get £0, whatever happens to that 'disk/download'.

If I buy a construct a wooden horse, then sell it, and then the other person sells it on, should I be entitled to that cash? No.

Hmmm...

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I think used sales are getting out of hand. My local Gamestation has a used section that's about twice the size of the new section. I think pirating a game is worse than buying used. No, the publisher doesn't see any of the money but at least you're giving money to a company and helping secure the jobs of many people. Pirating is just plain theft. Most markets also have a used market. I think it's unfair for publishers to expect to profit many times from producing one copy. The only way I can think of where they could is by setting up a trade and used sales section on their websites, but they'd have to offer better trade prices than local stores to make it worthwhile. Let's not forget that most game trades are used to help purchase new games so if there was no trade option, new game sales would probably suffer. And let's no forget that lots of games have expensive DLC that will go some way to softening the blow of used sales.
Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Batang_X990
this is why i think digital distribution is the last resort to combat used games. once you buy the game, you'll never be able to trade it in. on the bright side, you'll always own the game forever.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#11 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Yes because some games can have problems like that.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

I hate to be so black and white on this, but anyone who thinks piracy is better than used game sales is obviously a pirate.

Must.... avoid... link...

envybianchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 envybianchi
Member since 2004 • 1155 Posts

I would rather condone the purchase of used games rather than pirating games. Simply because there is a monetary exchange with used games which contributes to our economy which I imagine would be for the greater good. While with pirating, no one stands to make a profit whatsoever.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Batang_X990

I think used sales are getting out of hand. My local Gamestation has a used section that's about twice the size of the new section.x-2tha-z

i don't think gamestop even sells "sealed" copies anymore(new or used).

i think they only sell sealed copies during the first week or two after a new game releases.

i stopped doing business with them years ago.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
That's a dumb statement to make, like its been said, they make money from used games. They make no money from pirated games and they cant even quantify how much pirating is going on, if they had a legitimate means of tracking it copy for copy, they would be doing a better job of combating it.

used games are hurting them more, yes at one point they did get money but, after its sold back and someone else buys it they dont get any money. with pirating they arent giaining or losing money. becuase there was no sale in the first place. i like the way notch put pirtaing

evilmaster2424
lol that doesn't make any sense, when people say something like this, they often use the excuse "Well a person who pirated it, wasn't going to buy it anyway, so it doesn't cost them anything" But you could say the exact same thing about someone who bought it used, so at the end of the day, trying to use that logic means neither one cost them anything. But since that isn't true, pirating does more damage because they never see a dime. Look at DarthJohnova's example if you don't get it, if Call of Duty sells 25 million copies and all 25 million are sold back and bought used, Activision has still sold 25 millions copies. If all 25 million are pirated, they didn't make a penny, so how exactly would used games hurt them more?
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Well buying something used means there was a money exchange sometime in the past, so there's really nothing wrong with it. I usually get games used because they are cheaper, and new games are simply too expensive when they come out. Plus, it's really hit or miss with some titles, so at least if I get it used I'm able to return them (at least at gamestop) for a new game. EA makes me get games new due to their online access codes, which is rather annoying. I do understand why people would opt to get games new since I rarely buy a used CD and never pirate music. Still, I'm all about getting games used unless I can find a good sale as I did for Borderlands GOTY at $20.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#17 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

this is why i think digital distribution is the last resort to combat used games. once you buy the game, you'll never be able to trade it in. on the bright side, you'll always own the game forever.Batang_X990

Well the bright side is only if your console never crashes and you can download the game again.

I wonder how easy it will be to download a game like The Deadliest Warrior five or ten years from now.

At least when you buy the physical version, you can have a hundred consoles die on you and you're not dependent on Sony or anyone else maintaining the game for download.

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

Nonsense. The developer still got their money when the game was purchased new. Pirating a game means no money was exchanged. How is getting money for your product worse than your product getting stolen/pirated?

Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

No, not really. That being said, 90% of the time I buy a new copy if I can for the sake of supporting devs.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
Piracy is wrong not only because it hurts game companies but because it is stealing. This makes morally, legally, and financially wrong. Buying used games is only financially wrong, so I'd say it's the lesser of the two evils.
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

Whenever I hear a developer whine and moan about used sales I laugh, because for every person like me who buys a used version of their game, there's five other people who preorder it, pay the overpriced $60 plus tax on day one, and/or buy the ridiculously overpriced Special Edition packages.

So, no, I don't lose any sleep over paying a reasonable sum for the product I'm purchasing.

tamabeast04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tamabeast04
Member since 2003 • 526 Posts

i think it is amazing that websites post articles that present justifications for piracy... just absurd. I don't think there is any denying the fact that piracy is against the law... it is far worse than buying used games... it has a long term detrimental impact on the industry, and failure to see that is ignorance...

blankd8ta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blankd8ta
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

I don't see the big deal on either subject. Someone had to buy the game firstfor you to buy it pre-owned therefore the devs got some money. I thinnk the whole thing is with pre owned games is that devs are very greedy and don't care about consumer's wallets. Thats why they made game passes. Which is so retarded because I think it should be illegal because I bought the game yet I may be losing the online feature if I didn't buy the game NEW.

As for pirating, since I've done it multiple times I can't be a hypocrite and say its wrong. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it UNLESS you really like the game your playing. Then I think you should support the developer of that game. I don't see how its aginest the law seeing as theres way worst laws people break and games cost too much to be shelling out $60 bucks for each game every couple of weeks/months.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blueboxdoctor

I don't see the big deal on either subject. Someone had to buy the game firstfor you to buy it pre-owned therefore the devs got some money. I thinnk the whole thing is with pre owned games is that devs are very greedy and don't care about consumer's wallets. Thats why they made game passes. Which is so retarded because I think it should be illegal because I bought the game yet I may be losing the online feature if I didn't buy the game NEW.

As for pirating, since I've done it multiple times I can't be a hypocrite and say its wrong. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it UNLESS you really like the game your playing. Then I think you should support the developer of that game. I don't see how its aginest the law seeing as theres way worst laws people break and games cost too much to be shelling out $60 bucks for each game every couple of weeks/months.

blankd8ta

So I guess it would be cool if I were to go into your house and steal some of your stuff because I feel it is overpriced in stores, and then if I really like it I should go buy it? Pirating is against the law, so why try to go and break it because you currently don't have the funds for a game. Would it not be better to simply wait until the price begins to go down as they so often do? I agree that it was ridiculous when the current systems came out and games went from $50 new to $60. There was really no reason for it, yet people continue to spend that much so really, why stop the markup? Pirating is the same as going into a store and stealing something, except it's on a relatively new medium so people try to justify it.

testament1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 testament1
Member since 2004 • 334 Posts

I can't believe any gamer would be against the used game market. I just bought a used car the other day...should I feel bad because Ford didn't get my money?

This is one of the advantages Consoles have over PC's...the ability to resell your games. The developers have the right to make money off selling their product...which they do. Games can't becomes used without being bought first...so the devs already made their money.

mojosodopee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mojosodopee
Member since 2010 • 280 Posts

I think buying a game used is good The company already got the money for the game, more money in my pocket.The game developers are too rich already. Pirating a game is bad but...If you buy every game you want you'll be poor.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

My answer?

Quit pushing out crap, quit killing the quality and put some effort in making the game actually worth the price tag without chopping it up and exploiting the gamers pocket books and maybe you'll start seeing the "used game market" dwindle a little more. It's hypocritical BS and they have to realize it's "give and take". Your consumer base keeps you afloat. Don't treat your content as some kind of "privilage" that we should be thankful we're paying full game price for..

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
buying used is bad but not as bad as pirating a game they are both destroying the gaming industry
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

[QUOTE="blankd8ta"]

blueboxdoctor

So I guess it would be cool if I were to go into your house and steal some of your stuff because I feel it is overpriced in stores, and then if I really like it I should go buy it? Pirating is against the law, so why try to go and break it because you currently don't have the funds for a game. Would it not be better to simply wait until the price begins to go down as they so often do? I agree that it was ridiculous when the current systems came out and games went from $50 new to $60. There was really no reason for it, yet people continue to spend that much so really, why stop the markup? Pirating is the same as going into a store and stealing something, except it's on a relatively new medium so people try to justify it.

God, this is such a drone response.

Downloading a game = Breaking in and burglarizing someone's home? GFR!

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

I don't think that buying used game sales are as bad as pirating games. At least with used games, somebody gets money.TH3xD4RKNESS

pretty much what i say

bigmouthkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#32 bigmouthkid
Member since 2006 • 3425 Posts

This question is a no brainer. Of course pirating games is much worse since developers don't even earn a dime from it, besides in order for a game to be used it has to be bought brand new first. So to all of those developers complaing out there if you don't want people to buy your games used then stop making you games half-assed in the first place.

SuikoGremio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SuikoGremio
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts

Buying used isn't hurting them more. It does not create more players who haven't given the dev. their money. The dev. sold that disc (medium) and now their in a quotient of one system using that at any time. Whats the difference between me buying a game new, putting it down and loading it up a few months down the line, or someone else loading it up on their system (which I cannot be if I traded it in, lent it out, sold it, whatever). The dues were paid for that game. It doesn't put more stress on their servers - it is part of the deal, the game is sold - the dev. maintains the servers or means to allow that game to be played.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blueboxdoctor

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

[QUOTE="blankd8ta"]

Denji

God, this is such a drone response.

Downloading a game = Breaking in and burglarizing someone's home? GFR!

No, but if you can justify stealing a game then I assume other things can be stolen and justified the same way. There are too many people who think the major developers have too much money already so it's fine to take something from them. Idk if this is the case here, but it seems to be something that a lot of people think for music so I assume it goes for games as well. I always like the whole if you like something then buy it logic, and we see how that's been affecting the US music industry with labels taking less and less risks in order to simply try to sell something that will be pirated anyway. This is pretty much happening on a lower scale with every COD game being the same thing with a different setting.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

My collection is about 80% used games. I think the used game industry is definitely hurting the developers but that doesn't mean I am going to stop buying used games and start purchasing $60 brand new games. My GameStop barely even advertises their new games. I can see them buying a few new games and then just sell them, buy em back, sell em again, etc. GameStop is making out big time with this used game market, having 1 or 2 employyees working at a time and it is probably why there are like 7 of them in a 3 miles radius around me. Easy money! Then they try to sell games with their stickers and black casings so you could sell it back to them because it doesn't look as nice as a "like new" game on ebay. I used to be a big fan of GameStop as they do have some great deals but I had issues with their online site as they sent me Heavy Rain with missing original case and missing booklet. I went to the local GameStop and they gave it to me for free though. They also messed up on how I paid for the game with giftcard as they didn't ship out my entire order until I complained about missing game. I think GameStop lost my business now as they messed up a couple times, gave me shoddy game covers with text and missing booklets and their prices haven't been low enough lately.

Ebay is gonna get majority of my business now which is bad for devs. However, ebay is going to shoot themselves in the foot with their high ebay/paypal fees. It is like 13% and then you have to add shipping. With those prices, I don't think it is worth it to sell my games unless I dislike a game. And we are seeing more and more games coming out for great prices at retail stores and amazon. I bought MK for $29.99 (brand new) at toys r us of all places and I am constantly seeing great deals on amazon. People still prefer new games and if the prices aren't ridiculous $59.99, I can see people spend $35-50 for new games that come with some nice DLC. And while many people don't like MK online game code needed, I understand why they do it and I am fine with it. I won't complain when that becomes the norm.

Pirating a game isn't as bad as buying a used game.... Pirating is illegal and buying a used game isn't. However, I think ebay, all these other used game sites and the billion game stops around are financially hurting the devs more than any piraters. I have never seen or played a pirated game ever but I have seen/played tons of used games in my life.

blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts
Used games? Piracy? I think the real crime here is the price of videogames. Maybe if videogames were cheaper less people would pirate.
mackey25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mackey25
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

There's an article on Gamestop,

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6315009/index.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B3

and someone from Microsoft is quoted as saying "second-hand sales cost us more in the long-run than piracy these days".

So do you think buying a game used is as bad as pirating a game?

And for the record, I'm laying claim to a new phrase, "what a crock of microsoft" - my first thoughts after reading this quote.

If I could be guaranteed that I when I buy a game it is not a piece of garbage, is bug free and stable online I wouldn't have such a problem shelling out $60.00 bucks for it but that day seems about as far off as the rapture.

d_parker

how is it a crock? Did you read it? He didnt say it was worse he said it was costing them more in the long run which is true. How many people personally do you know that pirates games? I dont know any personally. How many do u know who buy used games? All my friends buy used games at one point or another. Yes they get money originally but at the same time that game could be resold 10 times. Therefore they have lost money on 10 different sales. Someone pirates a game it only cost them that one time.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Shouldn't the title ask, do you think buying a used game is as bad as Pirating?

You make it sound like buying a game used is worse, at least you are still paying someone for it, not stealing it.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts
Should the auto industry combat the used car industry? I mean, after all, they are losing money when we buy used instead of new? Right?... Maybe they should add a function to cars that only allows the original owner to use certain features... It's not about losing business it's about greed.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Worse because you dont have any intention of buying the game. Many people buy a used game and love it so they buy the sequal when it releases but pirated games will just continue this action.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Pirating is worse - it's just plain theft. With used sales, well...I traded in GT5 for $35 and used the money to buy new copies of Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. I don't see anybody doing that with their pirated copies.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

its a clear message to second hand buyers" stop buying your games used and start downloading em for free " :D great idea

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
for the individual, pirating is stealing. Buying used is "buying" a product from a company that is not properly compensating the developer for
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Pirating or buying used both end up with the developers getting nothing. Buying used gives the corporations 100% profit and its pretty crazy when you think how many times the same copy gets sold, traded in, sold again etc, while pirating gives no one any profit.
PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PapaJuliio17
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

I like that so many games are bought and sold used. We live in a society where we throw away far too much, so for more than one person to gain utility out of a single product is very efficient. I also like the idea that I can gain enjoyment out of something that several people before me have gained enjoyment from. It's better for a single copy of say Uncharted to be played by five people over the course of two years than for five copies played by one person each over a few months and then never used again.

Still, I'd like there to be some semblemnce of balance. I'm not sure I'd be happy if it were impossible to buy anything new.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

No... If anything, it helps keep more game shops open (small buisness and Gamestop), which I love going too.

dan_gerous87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dan_gerous87
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

whether it's new or used, buying isn't stealing. simple as that. piracy is a crime so of course it's worse. ok developers don't get anything from used sales but at least the previous owners do. that's why they sell their games to get some money back.

having said that i've bought all my ps3 games new, and rented all the rest or received them as gifts. at least with rentals you're only borrowing the games to try them out. if i want to keep it then ill always buy it new, but i'm not above selling it afterwards if i don't play it anymore.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I put them on about the same level, and I'm just fine with buying used games on occasion.

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Put yourself in the developer's shoes before bashing them.