divX subtitle support?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

baureacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 baureacht
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Has anybody achieved show subtitles on divX movies?

I've put the subtitle file and video file on the same directory, and i also renamed the subtitle file to be same with video file . Although i've tried both .srt and .sub file extension, it didn't work!!!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
it didn't work!!!baureacht
You just answered your own question.
msehtl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 msehtl
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
1) The PS3 CAN in fact play subtitled DIVX files, but the key here is that the files must be linked. There may be a way to play external SRT/SUB/IDX but I haven't yet figured it out. For now the files must be linked (but not hard-subbed...there's a big difference).

2) Use Google to look up a program called AVIAddXSubs v7.0. Essentially this is a program that creates "Xsubs" which are soft-subtitle files for official DIVX and XVid files. This works much in the way that it would with a Matroska (MKV) or OGM video file, but it's used with Divx containers.

3) Using the program you now have FULL control over the subtitle options. You can change the font sizes, colors, fonts, etc. as well as support for several subtitle files within one movie (meaning if you want to have say Japanese/Chinese/English/Korean/Spanish subs on one movie, you can).

4) The program will take your original video and the subs and merge them into a new file that ends in the .DIVX extension. You can rename it to be .AVI if you like, but the PS3 does recognize the .DIVX extension regardless.

5) Once you have the new file that's been created, you can load it to your PS3 however you like (streaming it, copying it to harddrive, playing on external USB drive, burning to disc, etc.).

6) Play the video file and once it's playing press the Triangle button on the controller to pull up the menu options. Go over to subtitles and you will now find that you can toggle between the various languages there. How cool is that? ^_^
solaris1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 solaris1979
Member since 2003 • 1592 Posts

1) The PS3 CAN in fact play subtitled DIVX files, but the key here is that the files must be linked. There may be a way to play external SRT/SUB/IDX but I haven't yet figured it out. For now the files must be linked (but not hard-subbed...there's a big difference).

2) Use Google to look up a program called AVIAddXSubs v7.0. Essentially this is a program that creates "Xsubs" which are soft-subtitle files for official DIVX and XVid files. This works much in the way that it would with a Matroska (MKV) or OGM video file, but it's used with Divx containers.

3) Using the program you now have FULL control over the subtitle options. You can change the font sizes, colors, fonts, etc. as well as support for several subtitle files within one movie (meaning if you want to have say Japanese/Chinese/English/Korean/Spanish subs on one movie, you can).

4) The program will take your original video and the subs and merge them into a new file that ends in the .DIVX extension. You can rename it to be .AVI if you like, but the PS3 does recognize the .DIVX extension regardless.

5) Once you have the new file that's been created, you can load it to your PS3 however you like (streaming it, copying it to harddrive, playing on external USB drive, burning to disc, etc.).

6) Play the video file and once it's playing press the Triangle button on the controller to pull up the menu options. Go over to subtitles and you will now find that you can toggle between the various languages there. How cool is that? ^_^msehtl

Didn't know divx can work like a package as well, thnx for the tip.

Avatar image for deactivated-587c91accda0b
deactivated-587c91accda0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-587c91accda0b
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts
msehtl you're the man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
swordmaster146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 swordmaster146
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Actually .avi files are working with .txt subtitles on my Playstation 3. I actually used Finnish guide for this (I am Finnish). Just download a good program that inserts subtitles to .avi file and Save it, send it to Memory Stick, then go to PS3, put it on and play the movie. Everything works! I can watch Ocean's 13 with Finnish subtitles! Whopee! You just need a time for this.DivX6 things.. nope.
diction2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 diction2
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

6) Play the video file and once it's playing press the Triangle button on the controller to pull up the menu options. Go over to subtitles and you will now find that you can toggle between the various languages there. How cool is that? ^_^msehtl

I've done all the above and the subtitles are too low on the screen, I can't read them. I try to adjust the settings of my TV, but nothing seems to work. Any idea how to get those subtitles a little higher?

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts
[QUOTE="baureacht"]

I've put the subtitle file and video file on the same directory, and i also renamed the subtitle file to be same with video file . Although i've tried both .srt and .sub file extension, it didn't work!!!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

divix is last generation my friend, megavideo is your friend well if you go to the right places like I do. ^^
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
[QUOTE="Santesyu"][QUOTE="baureacht"]

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

divix is last generation my friend, megavideo is your friend well if you go to the right places like I do. ^^

That comment was helpful yet useless at the same time. I'm sure the OP is very grateful.
diction2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 diction2
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Ah I've figured it out, I had to change the resolution options in the AVIAddXSubs program. It took me a few hours of experimenting, but at least I know what do to in the future.

mickel1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mickel1982
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Here you have a website that show you in a easy way how to put the subtitle into the movie in just 2 a 3 minutes, so that the ps3 can play the movie with subtitle from a usb stick or external harddisk. http://www.how2download.net/playstation3-ps3-divx-srt-subtitle.html
mike_v_2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike_v_2011
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I use the free program Aviaddxsubs.

With Aviaddxsubs you can merge the avi or divx file with the srt subtitle file to one file in just 2 till 3 minutes and then you can play avi and divx movies with external srt subtitles on the Playstation 3 or Playstation 4.

Play Avi and Divx Movies with SRT Subtitles on the Playstation 3

How to Play Divx & Avi Movies with SRT Subtitles on Playstation 4