Demon's Souls is too difficult.

• 142 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

What are they trying to say with this game? The game is psychotically difficult.

You can spend forever grinding, but if one of the many hardcore aggressive enemies charges you and kills you, then you die and you have to go to the bloodstain and get your souls again, granted you only get one chance to get your souls and touch your bloodstain, otherwise all that effort is just GONE.

Also, if you slash at the Oldwin the blacksmith, he will NEVER forgive you for it, ever. There's no way to correct a mistake, no nothing, one false step, even after all the hardwork, and the game will put you on the chopping block.

Also, it costs so many souls to get a weapon levelled up, and how many does it take before my regular character levels up anyway? How long do I have to play just to progress through the game? This game was created by sadists, it's just too dang hard for it's own good.

I love the real-time gameplay RPG premise of it, but the difficulty level has been taken to an unhealthy level of extreme.

Is anyone else getting the impression? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to make the game easier? I don't understand.

McMJ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 McMJ3
Member since 2008 • 2441 Posts
I think someone is being a bit of a crybaby...... Juuussstt saying.
Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

That's part of the fun in this game is that it's difficult. You knew from the start it was going to be difficult, well that is if you never researched it or hadn't seen the maybe 100+ topics to Demon's Souls alone. This is a hardcore game so to be blunt, suck it up.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I think they should have named the game Brutal Legend. :)

Lu-Kang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lu-Kang
Member since 2007 • 1010 Posts

you should of listend when everyone was saying this game is freaking hard

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

Someone on this board has a sig that says "Get good or die", in reference to Demon's Souls.... and that's pretty much all you can try to do. For me, the game isn't frustrating at all. It took me nearly 6 hours of dying just to get through Boletarian Palace, but not once was I frustrated. I don't find the game so difficult that it feels impossible, but yeah it's tough.

All I can say is just keep trying and eventually you should be alright. It seems as though that Demon's Souls may just not be a game for you, though. If the game is frsutrating you and upsetting you because of the extreme difficulty, then I would recommend not playing it again. Demon's Souls isn't a game for everyone, and maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the game may not be for you.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 get-ka12
What's the point? Is Atlus trying to say that the video game industry is difficult for them and that's the treatment they've gotten over the years, so now they are giving everything a taste of their own medicine?
mustang0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mustang0712
Member since 2009 • 238 Posts

i like the game and i like games that are hard but i do not like doing the same parts over and over again i just do not have the time to waste doing the same thing over and over

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Lol yeah, this game is the true Brütal Legend :D

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 get-ka12

Someone on this board has a sig that says "Get good or die", in reference to Demon's Souls.... and that's pretty much all you can try to do. For me, the game isn't frustrating at all. It took me nearly 6 hours of dying just to get through Boletarian Palace, but not once was I frustrated. I don't find the game so difficult that it feels impossible, but yeah it's tough.

All I can say is just keep trying and eventually you should be alright. It seems as though that Demon's Souls may just not be a game for you, though. If the game is frsutrating you and upsetting you because of the extreme difficulty, then I would recommend not playing it again. Demon's Souls isn't a game for everyone, and maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the game may not be for you.

Doolz2024

I play Ninja Gaiden just fine, but honestly the difficulty in that game is much more reasonable than Demon's Souls. At least in NG, that game offers something of a glimmer of hope.

Do I just have to grind and level up constantly so I don't risk losing my souls? Is that what the developers wanted me to do? Thanks for responding by the way.

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

You basically don't need to worry so much with the souls until you defeat the first boss Phalnax or something like that. Once you beat him you will be able to upgrade your stats like vitality and stuff. Also it unlocks the other worlds which you can go to in any order. Once you have the other worlds unlocked just go to the 4th world and you get about 250 - 500 souls per kill and makes leveling much easier. Just progress through the first world and get the levers to open the gates which makes your path back a little shorter and easier. Good Luck.

sandman-858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sandman-858
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts

I'm scared to get this game, but I'm still getting it tomorrow. With Uncharted 2:D

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
The difficulty is what makes the experience so intense. I've now spent a good junk of time somewhere in the depths of the mines, I have no idea where I am or how to get out, amassed quite a few souls and am scared to death of every enemy I cross. It's so thrilling.
get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 get-ka12

You basically don't need to worry so much with the souls until you defeat the first boss Phalnax or something like that. Once you beat him you will be able to upgrade your stats like vitality and stuff. Also it unlocks the other worlds which you can go to in any order. Once you have the other worlds unlocked just go to the 4th world and you get about 250 - 500 souls per kill and makes leveling much easier. Just progress through the first world and get the levers to open the gates which makes your path back a little shorter and easier. Good Luck.

360hammer

Oh, that's cool, thanks.

The ambiguity of when I even got to level up was scaring me.

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
demon soul's isnt even that hard, just compare demon souls to an 8-bit nes game and there you go.
Pelicanx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pelicanx2
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I feel for ya. I spent 16 hours trying to get through 1-1 with a hunter and gave up. I had to pick a soldier so I would not die as often. As soon as I did I beat the level in an hour. I would say however, that putting the knight on the bridge with no warning is poor game design. I died about 15 times before a friend of mine told me that he was unbeatable by a first level character and only meant for you to fight later. So I wasted like 3 hours trying to beat him without knowing i couldn't. Besides that, its a pretty fun game and has a lot of challeng to it.
DrummerShane12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 DrummerShane12
Member since 2004 • 2531 Posts

What are they trying to say with this game? The game is psychotically difficult.

You can spend forever grinding, but if one of the many hardcore aggressive enemies charges you and kills you, then you die and you have to go to the bloodstain and get your souls again, granted you only get one chance to get your souls and touch your bloodstain, otherwise all that effort is just GONE.

Also, if you slash at the Oldwin the blacksmith, he will NEVER forgive you for it, ever. There's no way to correct a mistake, no nothing, one false step, even after all the hardwork, and the game will put you on the chopping block.

Also, it costs so many souls to get a weapon levelled up, and how many does it take before my regular character levels up anyway? How long do I have to play just to progress through the game? This game was created by sadists, it's just too dang hard for it's own good.

I love the real-time gameplay RPG premise of it, but the difficulty level has been taken to an unhealthy level of extreme.

Is anyone else getting the impression? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a way to make the game easier? I don't understand.

get-ka12
if this games difficulty frustrates you then do not play it. I do not mean that in a bad but if something frustrates you dont do it. To me I love the difficulty because when you are able to learn how to defeat a certain foe or boss it makes it that much sweeter. This game is a love or hate game really.
Rikuide_Furame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Rikuide_Furame
Member since 2008 • 994 Posts

That's the idea. Nobody ever found out how good they were until they pushed themselves and Demon's Soul will do that. If you can't progress then perhaps you're just not good enough? Certainly there are others who have completed the entire game.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 get-ka12

That's the idea. Nobody ever found out how good they were until they pushed themselves and Demon's Soul will do that. If you can't progress then perhaps you're just not good enough? Certainly there are others who have completed the entire game.

Rikuide_Furame

That's the idea I'm getting from the game as well.

Something like:

Many will answer the call, but only few will attain it.

The game is not ashamed to be merciless.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

This thread gave me my laugh of the day.

I love the difficulty. Its resulted in much more play time for the title.

Most games take me a few days to complete. This is almost a week straight and I still haven't beaten it. I'm only about half way :)

DLazarek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 DLazarek
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts
Beat Phalanx and then you can level up, which will help tremendously. I was a little put off at first, but it quickly becomes quite addictive once you are farming souls for weapon upgrades, levels, etc.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
it's possible to have a really easy start if you choose your starting class as royalty in fact, it's almost too cheap. Tower Knight can be killed without damaging you one bit. Vanguard on 4-1 can be killed without damaging you one bit. but that's all i got so far.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts

Doolz2024
I'm the same way. I've spent almost 3 hours in dying in Boletaria Palace. I've done 2 1.5 hour stints of dying, and at the end of that hour and half both times I stopped because I died again before I got back to my bloodstain and lost all my souls. It's not that I was giving up, but it can be a little disheartening to lose all that work and basically be back at square 1 again so I decided to take a break. I'm going to try and finish Boletaria Palace today though. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the game and after dying so many times already, instead of quitting I'm actually more determined to beat this now.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I have a feeling that about 90% of the people who buy this will get frustrated and quit, then get on the internet and pretend that they enjoyed the challenge :D

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

get-ka12

I play Ninja Gaiden just fine, but honestly the difficulty in that game is much more reasonable than Demon's Souls. At least in NG, that game offers something of a glimmer of hope.

Do I just have to grind and level up constantly so I don't risk losing my souls? Is that what the developers wanted me to do? Thanks for responding by the way.

you need to have patiants in the game. think b4 you move. time your moves. use teh brraaiin and dont go all rambo

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

I have a feeling that about 90% of the people who buy this will get frustrated and quit, then get on the Internet and pretend that they enjoyed the challenge :D

Jackc8

hmmm... i don't know about that percentage, nor do i think a lot of people quit just because the game is challenging...

but it's entirely possible that many who claim to relish the challenge fabricate the extent of their enjoyment...

anyway, I'll be getting DS this week.

Now I know that i'm going to be extremely frustrated when i'll be getting my a$$ handed to me over and over; i can feel it already... but DS just looks too damn fun to pass up. Plus, I love to grind, so this game is right up my alley...

Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#27 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts
I feel for ya. I spent 16 hours trying to get through 1-1 with a hunter and gave up. I had to pick a soldier so I would not die as often. As soon as I did I beat the level in an hour. I would say however, that putting the knight on the bridge with no warning is poor game design. I died about 15 times before a friend of mine told me that he was unbeatable by a first level character and only meant for you to fight later. So I wasted like 3 hours trying to beat him without knowing i couldn't. Besides that, its a pretty fun game and has a lot of challeng to it. Pelicanx2
A lvl 1 Royal can take him down. It's just spamming soul arrows as you back up
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#28 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I get the impression that the TC is trying to play Demon's Souls like a typical RPG, which is why he's having such a hard time.

1. The game's really not as hard as it may seem. There are a lot of things you can do to ease the difficulty. The major thing to know is how combat works. You can't just go in and mash the attack button--you'll just get killed. You need to learn to choose your attacks wisely and know when to back off. Enemies can be resistant or weak against different weapons/spells. The blue-eyed armored demons in 1-1 are a perfect way to learn the combat system.

2. Pay attention to any notes that other players leave, because they can help. Also, make a habit of leaving good notes yourself. If you do, and other players rate them, you will get healed and the notes stick around longer.

3. This game has co-op. You can get help from other players who might be stronger than you are, so they can beat the boss easily, and you still benefit.

4. Souls are meant to be spent. Before going into a level, spend all your souls.

5. Losing souls isn't that big of a deal. Consider this: if you lose your souls, you have a chance to get them back. If you do, you'll end up with more souls than you originally had. If you don't get them back...well, if you followed my advice in #4, you didn't have much souls to begin with, right? Also, certain enemies make farming for souls easy.

6. In the very first level, you can get a ring that will increase your HP in soul form.

7. Enemies follow the same rules as the player. They die from falling off cliffs; walls will deflect their attack; heavy gear slows them down. Use all that to your advantage.

The developers aren't out to get you; they just made a game that's harder than the average game, but at the same time they gave you a bunch of ways to overcome the challenge. You can't grind your way through Demon's Souls.

ptree01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ptree01
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts
At the end of just about every game I finish I find myself saying, that was not at all a satisfying game, because anyone can do it! I think Demon Souls gives the exact opposite feeling every enemy you slaughter and boss you annihilate...
bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts

Lol yeah, this game is the true Brütal Legend :D

chaplainDMK

:lol:

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 get-ka12

[QUOTE="get-ka12"]

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"]

Revolution316

you need to have patiants in the game. think b4 you move. time your moves. use teh brraaiin and dont go all rambo

Yeah, I was getting a little too Rambo, hence why I love Ninja Gaiden. :P

I'm going to give the game another chance, hopefully try some of the advise I found here, thanks everyone.

oblivmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 oblivmasta
Member since 2006 • 253 Posts

what a wuss. Now i know you researched this game a bit because its not advertised on the commercials and doesnt look super fun on the case. if you watched the review you should of known that this game was going to be super hard and that you'd have to be in the right mind set to play it. you need patience with this game for sure. Each death is actually a lesson, a learning experience. and you should enjoy it. be really cautious everytime you go around the corner, run with your sheild up. all that jazz. this game is great so pawn it or be queit.

oblivmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 oblivmasta
Member since 2006 • 253 Posts

oh and dont get greedy with your attacks. a few slashes and then back the **** up. i died so many times just cause i was a lil to hasty when fighting enemies.

I_am_In_Flames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 I_am_In_Flames
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

I guess the developer didn't include an easy mode? I don't know though, never played it. And don't think I will.

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

I Belive Difficulty Breeds Excellence. If someone knows i quoted this from, i will give you a free cookie.

EzraMajor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EzraMajor
Member since 2009 • 175 Posts

I didn't think it was that hard

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#37 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
What's the point? Is Atlus trying to say that the video game industry is difficult for them and that's the treatment they've gotten over the years, so now they are giving everything a taste of their own medicine?get-ka12
Not used to doing too many things outside of Quick Time Events are you? (Yeah, that's what you get for saying it's too difficult as well as having a GoW avatar.)
Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts

The people that think the game is so tough are the people just going all out attack, attack. You have to time your attacks, block, and evade roll

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 get-ka12

I'd tried some of the advise I learned here and it's going much easier, thanks everyone.

I decided to start fresh as a magician andplaying smarter (using the shield, evading attacks, etc) is turning out to be beneficial.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 get-ka12

[QUOTE="get-ka12"]What's the point? Is Atlus trying to say that the video game industry is difficult for them and that's the treatment they've gotten over the years, so now they are giving everything a taste of their own medicine?Symphonycometh
Not used to doing too many things outside of Quick Time Events are you? (Yeah, that's what you get for saying it's too difficult as well as having a GoW avatar.)

The game is difficult. :| And I play plenty of games without quicktime events. You're making a judgement based on my icon.

I Belive Difficulty Breeds Excellence. If someone knows i quoted this from, i will give you a free cookie.

1bigsmoke55

You quoted that from Resident Evil 5.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
This game is difficult at times, to be sure, but few games are as rewarding when you actually succeed...
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
I'm the same way. I've spent almost 3 hours in dying in Boletaria Palace. I've done 2 1.5 hour stints of dying, and at the end of that hour and half both times I stopped because I died again before I got back to my bloodstain and lost all my souls. It's not that I was giving up, but it can be a little disheartening to lose all that work and basically be back at square 1 again so I decided to take a break. I'm going to try and finish Boletaria Palace today though. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the game and after dying so many times already, instead of quitting I'm actually more determined to beat this now.Texas2089
Why? Seriously, I don't understand. What exactly is killing you in the first level? Of course you can die a couple of times but you make it seem like you die again and again and again losing all your souls. Even if you die what's preventing you from getting your souls back? There are the ordinary soldiers and zombie things which are just cannon fodder, a couple of blue-eyed knights which you can simply kill by parrying only one of their blows and the red-eyed knight which you shouldn't fight yet anyway unless you have magic (which also makes him cannon fodder). My cousin got interested in the game when I told him about it so I brought it over and let him play until he killed the phalanx. I didn't give him any hints and he probably died half a dozen times always being able to get his souls back. I didn't die more than that when I played it for the first time. Please explain what's so hard. I'm really curious. Do you just run up to your enemies and bash away without any sort of timing and not paying any attention to your endurance?
get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 get-ka12

Please explain what's so hard. I'm really curious. Do you just run up to your enemies and bash away without any sort of timing and not paying any attention to your endurance? nethernova

That's probably the culprit to why some of us find it difficult, that's what I was doing and the game was frustrating me.

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

[QUOTE="Symphonycometh"][QUOTE="get-ka12"] Not used to doing too many things outside of Quick Time Events are you? (Yeah, that's what you get for saying it's too difficult as well as having a GoW avatar.)get-ka12

The game is difficult. :| And I play plenty of games without quicktime events. You're making a judgement based on my icon.

1bigsmoke55

You quoted that from Resident Evil 5.

Cookie time.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 get-ka12

Cookie time.

1bigsmoke55

Thank you, sir.

mrcanfwhoopass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 mrcanfwhoopass
Member since 2003 • 3578 Posts
I order it just the other day...it should be coming tomorrow, although I told myself I would not play it till after my midterms. People saying it is hard only makes me want to play it more! Games are wwwaaayyy too easy now a days. I can't even remember the last game I played that I would consider hard, oh yeah, actually that is not true, I was playing ikaruga the other day with my friend, now that is a game that is too hard. stop being so causal and man up.
dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts
every time that i read this kind of threads i want to play the game more its seems so original and rewarding.
get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 get-ka12

I order it just the other day...it should be coming tomorrow, although I told myself I would not play it till after my midterms. People saying it is hard only makes me want to play it more! Games are wwwaaayyy too easy now a days. I can't even remember the last game I played that I would consider hard, oh yeah, actually that is not true, I was playing ikaruga the other day with my friend, now that is a game that is too hard. stop being so causal and man up.mrcanfwhoopass

I do like the game, I just had trouble adjusting to the gameplay. I'm getting used to it though.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Under normal circumstances I would be sympathetic to you, but since this has been all over the place, you really can't say you weren't well warned.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#50 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
It's a dig rather than a narrow-minded generalization. Still though, there will be enough gamers out there who are used to difficult games, so something being "too" difficult would be for the gamers...not used to playing them. Such is your case. And many other gamers. Pity though. A good challenge is what's missing in today's games. D: