Dark Souls - Do you bother with heavy armor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

I always figured that heavy armor was more of a hinderance than a bonus. I mean sure, you take less damage, but at the same time, you can't roll, which I find to be more effective if you time it right. And yet, I see a lot of people having a good deal of success in very heavy armor with slow weapons, winning the long fight in endurance and power, rather than agility. What are your thoughts, because now I'm tempted to give a heavy armor build a try...

puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

Its certainly a valid playstyle and I believe it could be very effective if used correctly but I usually go about mid range and just upgrade it a bit.

I don't do a lot of PvP but unless you really know how to use it I'd imagine heavy armour would be terrible for avoiding backstabs.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Its certainly a valid playstyle and I believe it could be very effective if used correctly but I usually go about mid range and just upgrade it a bit.

I don't do a lot of PvP but unless you really know how to use it I'd imagine heavy armour would be terrible for avoiding backstabs.

puddinghead101
yeah, in PvP for sure, but I am talking more PvE circumstances. In PvP you generally just want to take all armor off if you aren't already at lowest weight capacity
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

The higher poise that's inherent with heavy armor sets allows you to go toe-to-toe with certain bosses without getting staggered, Four Kings for example.

Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Marmotas
Member since 2004 • 2944 Posts

I always figured that heavy armor was more of a hinderance than a bonus. I mean sure, you take less damage, but at the same time, you can't roll, which I find to be more effective if you time it right. And yet, I see a lot of people having a good deal of success in very heavy armor with slow weapons, winning the long fight in endurance and power, rather than agility. What are your thoughts, because now I'm tempted to give a heavy armor build a try...

Essian

Heavy armor setups are pretty good actually, the high poise lets you attack without being interrupted, and this paired with a heavy weapon can produce really high damage. Heavy setups do need a lot of timing considerations, attack too early and you will miss and get damaged, attack too late and they will avoid it and counter, the good thing is that a heavy weapon normally has a good range, so trying to hit with the tip of said weapon is recomended (you have to predict the enemy movement, easy in PvE but takes good skills in PvP)

For example, enemy attacks and you attack at the same time with a heavy weapon, its attack does little damage to you while your weapon 1-shot it or at the very least, staggers it greatly and you can follow up with a second swing and kill it without problems.

If you get mobbed, a heavy weapon normally has a good range and can deal with many enemies in 1 hit, while the heavy armor protects you from 1-2 hits that might get trough while you swing the weapon.

The most important aspect of a heavy armor setup is poise (this is why Wolf Ring is also awesome and very important in low-armored builds) and this lets you use weapons that are a little more unsafe to use and abuse them too.

I guess the thing that makes a heavy armor less desirable in PvE is because you run slower, which means more time traveling around, and that can become a little bothersome.

Also, heavy builds can use bigger shields and have (normall) more stamina, so thats another plus.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Get your endurance to 40 ASAP and wear Havel's ring and you can pretty much wear whatever with the normal movement speed. I use a combination of Havel's and Ornstein's armor.. Gonna switch to the Black Knight armor because it looks so dope once I get it leveled all the way up.
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Havel Bros' :cool: