Damaged disc question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eaglesnfceast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Eaglesnfceast
Member since 2006 • 165 Posts

Ok, so i am going to buy this game from my friend. Its called oblivion, he used disc cleaner on it and the whole bottom of it is really messed up and the top of it has the cover peeling off. The whole half of it peeled off. But the good thing is it works fine, although it looks like its in HORRIBLE conditon. I'm buying it for like 10 dollars. Anyway, the question is, if the cover is peeling off will it damage my ps3, like if like a little piece gets in there, the bottom is all smudged but i don't think that could hurt the system. If it would hurt the system if the cover came off, then what should i do, is there replacement covers or something? If i won't do anything, then i should have to buy them. Anyway, please help me out on this one, thanks alot.

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts

Ok, so i am going to buy this game from my friend. Its called oblivion, he used disc cleaner on it and the whole bottom of it is really messed up and the top of it has the cover peeling off. The whole half of it peeled off. But the good thing is it works fine, although it looks like its in HORRIBLE conditon. I'm buying it for like 10 dollars. Anyway, the question is, if the cover is peeling off will it damage my ps3, like if like a little piece gets in there, the bottom is all smudged but i don't think that could hurt the system. If it would hurt the system if the cover came off, then what should i do, is there replacement covers or something? If i won't do anything, then i should have to buy them. Anyway, please help me out on this one, thanks alot.

Eaglesnfceast

I wouldnt but it...A disc with the lable peeling off? How does that even happen?

Either way, I guess buy it at your own risk...

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

Eaglesnfceast

good luck with that

TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TelcharXI
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
Once the label came off the disk is toast, the underside of the label contains a certain coating that allows light to be reflected back, so once the cover is gone the disk is toast
vitz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vitz3
Member since 2004 • 1884 Posts

How on earth did you damage a blu-ray disc? I mean I've seen them dropped and slid on pavement and they're still fine. You musta did something serious to get it that bad.

In regards to the label coming off. It might still work. The worst you can do is try.

Also, buy disc cases.

Neo1O1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Neo1O1
Member since 2003 • 845 Posts
The PlayStation 3 is something you should cherish. I for one, would not take the risk.
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
The PlayStation 3 is something you should cherish. I for one, would not take the risk.Neo1O1
agreed. i couldn't see putting a crap disc in mine. there's always that chance a piece could come off inside the system.
Eaglesnfceast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Eaglesnfceast

How on earth did you damage a blu-ray disc? I mean I've seen them dropped and slid on pavement and they're still fine. You musta did something serious to get it that bad.

In regards to the label coming off. It might still work. The worst you can do is try.

Also, buy disc cases.

vitz3
My friend used cleaning solution
jmper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jmper4
Member since 2004 • 957 Posts
[QUOTE="vitz3"]

Also, buy disc cases.

Eaglesnfceast

Sulfuric Acid? Seriously, typical cleaning products will not damage a disk that bad.

soldier1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soldier1993
Member since 2006 • 558 Posts
buy a new one
Eaglesnfceast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Eaglesnfceast
[QUOTE="Eaglesnfceast"][QUOTE="vitz3"]

Also, buy disc cases.

jmper4

Sulfuric Acid? Seriously, typical cleaning products will not damage a disk that bad.

No, he bought special disc cleaning stuff, the kind for like, ps2 or one... or something else? idk...
Dante865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Dante865
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

Peel the damn Disk-Art off man :| it'll jam your blu-ray player!!

Avatar image for darkangel_78589
darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darkangel_78589
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts
The moral of the story is.. Don't risk it. It's not worth it. Just buy a new one. Yes. It's expensive. But, it's better this way, than risk anything happening to the system's inner workings, and have to spend twice the amount of the new game itself.
sgallag_play

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sgallag_play
Member since 2006 • 2007 Posts
Just pell it off completly and mark the disc with a cd marker pen.
---SLUG---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ---SLUG---
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts
Just buy it used on Amazon.com