cover systems - stop showboating it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts

okay, every game has it now, sometimes good sometimes not so good. its a small "next-gen" feature that i feel really isnt that amazing at all, it should have happened years ago and some games were doing it pretty well years ago. so why the heck does every game developer feel they can boast their "amazing new cover system" for every single friggin new game that comes out?!!?!?!??!?! is this all next gen has to offer besides better graphics?!??!

When we look back on this generation, the super mega hyped "next-gen", i hope that we have more to look back on as advancements in gaming other than "Cover Systems" , because the way things are right now, other then the usually always advancing graphics (better graphics are a given, i dont consider a game truly next gen just because it has cool graphics, we all knew graphics would get better, but theres a ton of other stuff not being improved that much) the word cover system seems to be what will define games for this generation.

ronniepage588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ronniepage588
Member since 2003 • 4188 Posts
seriously, the only games is see right now that are showing truly next-gen stuff, besides graphics and new cover systems, is Metal Gear Solid 4 and LittleBigPlanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
I dont think they ever boast about cover systems. I didnt even know Uncharted had one until I played the demo, or GTA4 until I watched the IGN review. MGS4 ceartainly has a new conver system because playing dead and shooting people or lying flat on a mound and throwing gernades at people on your back is as covered as you can get.
Ryder123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Ryder123
Member since 2005 • 1984 Posts
I don't think any company is bragging about cover systems, but you are right, these things have been in older games but no one really noticed them..Such as with GTA IV, the cover system, and flying out of windshields were also in True Crime: NYC, not that I'm saying True Crime is anywhere near as good as GTA IV.
CoreyNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 CoreyNT
Member since 2008 • 593 Posts
Ya, I don't think any company is bragging. Just took something good from GeOW and put it in their games.
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

Ya, I don't think any company is bragging. Just took something good from GeOW and put it in their games.CoreyNT

MGS2 had a cover system before GeOW did. and there were games long before even that that had em. GeOW has nothing new to it.

Avatar image for darkangel_78589
darkangel_78589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darkangel_78589
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts

[QUOTE="CoreyNT"]Ya, I don't think any company is bragging. Just took something good from GeOW and put it in their games.enygma500

MGS2 had a cover system before GeOW did. and there were games long before even that that had em. GeOW has nothing new to it.

People seem to be forgetting that one particular game made the cover system what it is today. Kill.Switch.

moshakirby18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 moshakirby18
Member since 2006 • 1665 Posts
Yeah, sometimes games show off the most ridiculous things as main features.

A ****c example is "Attack it's weak point for MASSIVE damage!"

A more recent example would be of the Killzone 2 level commentary, the developer seems pretty excited by explosive barrels, it's like...Yeah, they've been around since forever, you shoot them they explode. Unless they're exploding with melon shrapnel, we don't care right?

I think we should make a list of things that should never be said in a game trailer beginning with "Innovative new..."
The first one obviously being;
"Innovative new cover system" - It's not innovative, it's not new, face it your hiding behind a wall and blindifiring in all of them.

anyone got any others?
TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

Killzones 2 cover system looks wack!!! Its only in 1st person and in some of the vids, even when ducking down during the cover system your head looks completely revealed. A 3rd person cover system looks much cooler.

Time Crysis 2 had a cover system where you pop in and out of objects and in the arcade they had the foot pedal to press to cover and come out of cover. That was awhile back

But cover systems do add alot to the game and I really enjoyed it in the Rainbox 6 games, but I never heard of a company showboating about it??