Could games give transferable skills in RL?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

really? can it? if you can shoot guns prettty good in COD does that mean you COULD handle a game better than most because of that?

rpgs? only a little bit, but i dont think so because it only offers so much that isnt related to the games' situations

how about puzzle games?

what are your thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I feel that video games have given me better hand eye coordination, but not any better real life skills.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
No...just no. Being able to shoot a gun in a video game is nothing like handling an actual firearm. At the very most, you might know where to line up the sights more than someone who's never played the game, but will have no bearing on the actual handling.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 supa_badman

I feel that video games have given me better hand eye coordination, but not any better real life skills.

jimkabrhel
hand-eye-coordination is a skill.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

Better hand-eye coordination is probably the only benefit you get. Playing sports games doesn't make you a better athlete, playing shooters doesn't make you a marksman, etc etc.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Only thing I got while playing video games was being able to hit a ball in baseball much, much more frequently due to hand-eye coordination.
navstar29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 navstar29
Member since 2004 • 4036 Posts
hand eye coordination for sure. One of my friends who volunteered for a free eye clinic program at a shelter, was given the job of using this machine which essentially shot a burst of air in certain parts of the eye, to test something. He told me it felt just like duck hunt. But yeah the only things games help with are hand eye coordination.
jpridgen0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 jpridgen0
Member since 2005 • 1864 Posts
lol, i swear my 3 year old cousin threw a balled up pair of baby socks at me yesterday and i slapped that ish so quick right back at her. right after i did it i thought to myself "that had to come from video games" cause she threw that sock fast as heck.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

really? can it? if you can shoot guns prettty good in COD does that mean you COULD handle a game better than most because of that?

rpgs? only a little bit, but i dont think so because it only offers so much that isnt related to the games' situations

how about puzzle games?

what are your thoughts?

supa_badman

Heh, your controller doesn't kick back and hit you in the face when you fire a Desert Eagle in Call of Duty 4, so I doubt it.

Oh, and despite what AJAX said, Lupe's a beast on the mic. :wink:

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 supa_badman

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

how about puzzle games?

what are your thoughts?

Scianix-Black

Heh, your controller doesn't kick back and hit you in the face when you fire a Desert Eagle in Call of Duty 4, so I doubt it.

Oh, and despite what AJAX said, Lupe's a beast on the mic. :wink:

despite that maybe it could improve some aiming :lol: i know this, or else i wouldnt have a theme eh?
n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts
I learned how to drive from burnout! no lie
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18798 Posts

jimkabrhel
Yep also since i got into non sports games those games where u have to think made me smarter. Sports games aproves ur awareness. Baseball in particular u can become a batter hitter in some ways
GodsPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GodsPoison
Member since 2007 • 15256 Posts
Lets see, better hand eye coordination, better reflexes(damn you quick time events!!) better puzzle solving skills, reading comprehension(all those rpgs and all that text!) id consider those real world skills i improved by gaming. I still cant shoot a gun any better though, nor can i drive a tank or operate any military vehicle....
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

Lets see, better hand eye coordination, better reflexes(damn you quick time events!!) better puzzle solving skills, reading comprehension(all those rpgs and all that text!) id consider those real world skills i improved by gaming. I still cant shoot a gun any better though, nor can i drive a tank or operate any military vehicle....GodsPoison

I was going to say something like this, which are more realistic things than saying you can drive or fire a gun.

Another big thing is your perception and figuring out how be more efficient at doing a task when you have a limited and varying set of resources. Thinking strategically towards the completion of a goal and being tactical in real time and being able to adapt to instantaneous change are also some feats to get out of gaming.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Yeah, I attribute my vocabulary and reading skills to RPGs. Part of the reason I think kids are struggleing in school is because kids don't play enough games where they need to read. Maybe the actual problem is that developers reached the point where they could add voice-over work to their videogames and thus eliminated the need to know how to read.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Well if X, squares, O, or triangles started appearing when something was about to make me die then it would increase my reflexes.:P

e1ysium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 e1ysium
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts

Definately hand eye coordination is one skill. I personally have been playing racing games for quite a while now like Live for Speed, GTR, Forza, GranTurismo. I did it for fun but i've they definately help with keeping the best race line, how to compensate for errors when going off the race line due to other cars, loss of control, etc. I go out once sometimes twice a month in the summerat a road course in the area and i think all those hours of racing games did help a bit..definately not with how to handle or control the car but with racelines and how to approach turns, braking..etc

victorgonzalez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 victorgonzalez
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts

All you guys are mad funny btw. But honestly, what about the intangible things you learn from gaming? Besides motor skills and reading comprehension- gaming has taught me loads of really important things that i think EVERYONE should know!

• Life Force (NES) Don't fly my spaceship into a dragon's mouth. Just don't do that.
  • Sonic (Genesis) Always look for bubbles when underwater for extended periods.
  • Marv. vs Capcom 2 (PS2) Do not fight Cyclops. Its just a bad idea.
  • Mirrors Edge (PS3,XB360,PC) DO NOT let your sister become a police officer! I love my sisters, but jump off the Sears Tower and land on top off the Hyatt Center for ya?, :roll:
  • And lastly... Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3, XB360,PC) Seriously, I have the utmost respect for any citizenwho chooses tomake that sacrifice- and to join the service to protect and uphold the rights and freedoms we enjoy, and take for granted everyday. And to be completely honest, I find myself ashamed at times to enjoy playing a game like MW or KZ2, that entertains us by depicting (and really, exploiting) what I personally find to be a barbaric and arguably unchangeable phenomenon ofour human society (past and present) But from playing these games and learning about our history, I've learned that warfare is something I desperately want to avoid. Call me coward but, now more so than before even, it is imperative that we build relationships, instead of destroy them. Open a dialogue with our allies and our enemies as to how we can share this planet in a peaceful and cooperative manner. Because if we don't, if YOU don't we might as well resign not only ourselves but our entire species to the inevitable. Life is never as precious as when it is truly challenged is one way you might care to think about it. But the truth is, that statement is wrong. Life is always precious. We've just never learned or forget to remember to give a ****
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

I would say reaction times would be improved

jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts

For anyone interested in what skills games give you then you should definitely read the book "Everything bad is good for you" because it has a really good explanation of the mental processes involved in playing video games. The chapter I read from the book is really fascinating and included some great examples. It said that in games you often do mentally stimulating tasks such as hypothesis testing, learning and manipulating the "rules of the game", and task analysis. http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Bad-Good-Steven-Johnson/dp/1594481946/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237868888&sr=8-1

InN3rChi011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#21 InN3rChi011
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts

it could for reals play mortal kombat and start fighting people and ripping peoples heads off:twisted: