Can you use an External Harddrive on PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 rahul_batta
Member since 2004 • 1363 Posts
I was just wondering if it was possible to expand my 60 GB with having someone open up my PS3, and install a larger harddrive. Can I just attach an external one and do the exact same thing?
aajohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 aajohnny
Member since 2007 • 472 Posts
there is a video on youtube that shows you how to do it,its so simple....search it up on youtube.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts
yes you can.
BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

Yes, you can, but it has to be formatted fat32.

david_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 david_is_basic
Member since 2003 • 11524 Posts
Yeah, or just replace the internal hard drive with a 2.5 inch disk. That's what I did, I have a 120GB PS3 now.
rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rahul_batta
But is it possible to just use an external one? Because I tried to put some music and pictures on my ps3 by using a usb but it says there were nothing in it, even though there clearly was. Anyone know why? Or do I have to reformat it"?
rahul_batta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rahul_batta
Hello, anyone known how to put music using a USB onto a ps3? I can never get it to work for me.
H8s2spooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 H8s2spooge
Member since 2006 • 650 Posts
Try making afolder labeled PS3, then sub folders for music, video, and pictures. I think I heard that works... lol.

If you buy a sony pocket flash drive that'll certainly work no matter what.
Choco_Taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Choco_Taco
Member since 2007 • 573 Posts

Hello, anyone known how to put music using a USB onto a ps3? I can never get it to work for me.rahul_batta

Try pressing triangle when the USB device is highlight and select "display all". Samething happens w/ pics and it when i do that. Also, if u have ur PS3 and PC hard wired to the same modem, u can access and copy them from ur PC directly.

Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts

Hello, anyone known how to put music using a USB onto a ps3? I can never get it to work for me.rahul_batta

Its because some formats don't work with PS3 yet. For example .avi video files will not work and the PS3 simply won't recognise them. The external device (hard drive, usb thumb drive, SD card, PSP, whatever) DOES work and you can transfer, and store stuff. Its what you are trying to transfer, the PS3 doesn't it recognise.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Some_One_Plays
Member since 2006 • 880 Posts

I was just wondering if it was possible to expand my 60 GB with having someone open up my PS3, and install a larger harddrive. Can I just attach an external one and do the exact same thing?rahul_batta

Yes that's how you back-up your files on the PlayStation 3 when upgrading to a 250GB hard drive.

redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts
I was just wondering if it was possible to expand my 60 GB with having someone open up my PS3, and install a larger harddrive. Can I just attach an external one and do the exact same thing?rahul_batta
naruske101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 naruske101
Member since 2007 • 1062 Posts
u said fat =) lLmao!!
ndrliang2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ndrliang2
Member since 2006 • 157 Posts
yup
avensons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 avensons
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts
!Thats Awesome!
Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts

Yes, you can, but it has to be formatted fat32.

BZSIN

that must've been why my friends passport drive wasn't even showing up.

dustinby15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dustinby15
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
does anyone know how to transfer data from an old PS3 HDD to a new PS3 HDD without two PS3's.
brohdaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 brohdaw
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
But is it possible to just use an external one? Because I tried to put some music and pictures on my ps3 by using a usb but it says there were nothing in it, even though there clearly was. Anyone know why? Or do I have to reformat it"?rahul_batta
I'm not pro and it took me a minute to figure it out too...I have a 16GB Flash Drive and when I add music or Pictures to my flash drive, I go to documents and under these are subfolders...video, photos, etc...Make sure you are putting these files into these folders because if you have them on the "outside' it doesnt seem to work. Also, when you are on your PS3 and the USB menu is showing, click on the triangle on the remote control, then click display all, this should show you the folders and once you click on the folder you want you should see your files there. I'm waiting fo hear if an external hard drive will work with PS3; all the flash drives i buy I might as well get an external hard drive, especially since I discovered there's a 1TB lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5a22550b94008
deactivated-5a22550b94008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5a22550b94008
Member since 2009 • 426 Posts

[QUOTE="rahul_batta"]Hello, anyone known how to put music using a USB onto a ps3? I can never get it to work for me.Rob_101

Its because some formats don't work with PS3 yet. For example .avi video files will not work and the PS3 simply won't recognise them. The external device (hard drive, usb thumb drive, SD card, PSP, whatever) DOES work and you can transfer, and store stuff. Its what you are trying to transfer, the PS3 doesn't it recognise.

I watch AVI files on my PS3 all the time. Just watched Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle a couple nights ago.

SKillerDublin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SKillerDublin
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Can you use a PS3 formatted HDD as an external Hard drive (connected by USB) on another PS3?? Need HELP guys! My PS3 (replacement Sony sent to me after YLOD on my original launch 60GB) has given up the ghost (YLOD again!) I'm going to buy a new 160GB next weekend but I was wondering can I use my dead PS3s 320GB HDD (which I've already removed) as an external HDD for the new PS3? I've already sourced an external hard drive enclosure for it http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-RF-AHD25-enclosure-SATA-300-eSATA-300/dp/B001D8HVGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1303666339&sr=1-1 Its just that its got all my saves movies etc on it since 2006 and I dont want to lose them if I can avoid it!!!! Any help would be much appreciated. PSN SKillerDublin
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

[QUOTE="rahul_batta"]Hello, anyone known how to put music using a USB onto a ps3? I can never get it to work for me.Rob_101

your wrong. i have alot of .avi video format, and they are recognize, i dont mean to sound rude or offend u but please dont post if u have no clue what ur talking about.
ilikedrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 ilikedrit
Member since 2010 • 217 Posts

Yes, but apparently it has to be in FAT32 format, not HFS+ ("Mac" format) or NTFS ("Windows" format).

I recommend getting an external hard drive that has 3+ TB of space, and partition large areas on the HD for the formats you plan to use most often.

From what I've heard, using HFS+ format [with MacDrive on Windows to make these files accessible] is probably one of the best combinations when it comes to quality of storage and security of files, whereas FAT32 format is not as secure although naturally compatible with the PC, Mac, PS3 and other platforms.