Can you save PS2 games on the PS3 hard drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dmitri_Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dmitri_Stone
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I have a 60 gig on the way and I was wondering if you can save PS2 games on the PS3 hard drive.

Thanks

-Grieves-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Grieves-
Member since 2007 • 1708 Posts

You can save PS2 game saves to your hard drive by creating a virtual memory card and assigning it to a virtual slot.

If you are asking if you can copy a PS2 disk to your hard drive so you do not need the disk to play the game, then the answer, as far as I know, is no.

austin_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 austin_is_god
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts
Of course you can't copy actual PS2 (OR PS1) games to the hard drive. Hell, you can't even install PS2 games that had that option. I am not talking about the online games either.
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Of course you can't copy actual PS2 (OR PS1) games to the hard drive. Hell, you can't even install PS2 games that had that option. I am not talking about the online games either.austin_is_god

The PS2 data firmware that can be downloaded from PSN allows the data of PS2 games that can use the HDD will work on many games, but there is no way of loading a full game on the HDD (I don't think it was possible on the PS2).

As far saving PS2 data on the PS3 the PS2 data firmware makes this much easier, although you can create a virtual memory card on the HDD for PS2 games. You can purchase a memory card adapter that allows you to use the PS1 and PS2 memory cards. I'm not sure if a USB flash card will do the same thing but it would be nice if they did.

austin_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 austin_is_god
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts

[QUOTE="austin_is_god"]Of course you can't copy actual PS2 (OR PS1) games to the hard drive. Hell, you can't even install PS2 games that had that option. I am not talking about the online games either.jimm895

The PS2 data firmware that can be downloaded from PSN allows the data of PS2 games that can use the HDD will work on many games, but there is no way of loading a full game on the HDD (I don't think it was possible on the PS2).

The firmware works for FFXI and Biohazard Outbreak but as for games that do not have mandatoryinstalls, but have an option to install, such as Street Fighter Zero: Fighter's Generation, Vampire: Darkstalkers Chronicle, Virtua Fighter 4, Wild Arms Alter Code: F and some other I can't think of at the moment (I am sure I have some other games with the option as well), non of them recognise the PS3's HDD. I have no idea if the US versios of those games had the option to install (I kinda doubt it), but none of my Japanese games work with the install option. Naturally it doesn't apply to PAL versions because PAL land was never good enough to get the HDD for the PS2.