Bioshock Infinite - Are you happy with how it turned out? *spoilers!*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic-boom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic-boom
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts

Bioshock Infinite is an outstanding game that will stand out for gamers for all time.. but if you go back in time a bit and check out its first gameplay trailer.. Wow! The game sure has changed from that initial sneak peak over 2 years ago!

http://www.gamespot.com/bioshock-infinite/videos/bioshock-infinite-gameplay-demo-official-trailer-6276677/

There are numerous moments from the trailer that simply did not happen in the final product for whatever reason:

• Colombia appears far more desolate in the trailer compared to the more lively city found in the game. I prefer the city portrayed in the trailer because while the city is still populated, it far better maintains that excellent eerie feeling that is traditionally found in Irrational's "Shock" games.
  • Floating platforms actually crumble before your eyes.
  • The man giving the speech had creepy, glowing eyes and seemed almost transparent at times (perhaps this is an early tear concept the developers were playing with?).
  • Booker has to evade cannon fire (how could they cut this?)
  • One of Booker's vigors appears to be Levitation (earlier form of Bucking Bronco?) and lots of gameplay and cooperation involved that particular vigor. Also Return to Sender seemed to function a fair better in the trailer than in the actual game (they way he caught the cannon "bullet" and reversed it was awesome).
  • The trailer hinted more combat with heavy-hitters like the Songbird but the game didn't even have you fight it directly (then Elizabeth drowns it in Rapture for you :/). Also disappointing that you fight only 4 Handymen (you faced far more Big Daddies in Rapture) and the Boys of Silence really weren't designed for you to combat and were so few and far between they almost felt squandered.

Don't get me wrong, the game is outstanding.. but re-watching this trailer makes me feel a bit disappointed and makes me wonder what ideas are lying on the cutting room floor that never made it into this game. Perhaps some of this stuff might turn up in a future DLC?

Do you prefer the gameplay you see in this 2010 trailer or do you think the current 2013 game out now is bettre final product?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#2 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I enjoyed the story, characters, and environment a lot more than the other Bioshock games but I still really disliked the combat. I'd love to see them make a first person adventure game or something that has very little actual combat.

Colombia appears far more desolate in the trailer compared to the more lively city found in the game. I prefer the city portrayed in the trailer because while the city is still populated, it far better maintains that excellent eerie feeling that is traditionally found in Irrational's "Shock" games.

I prefer the current way. The city being in a much more pristine state doesa better job at hiding the problems that the city has and makes it more of a contrast when the streets are covered in blood and bodies.

Also disappointing that you fight only 4 Handymen (you faced far more Big Daddies in Rapture

The constant battles (and the fact that most people would hunt them in order to buy more stuff) ruined Big Daddies, what should have been dreaded encounters from powerful enemies that you should have wanted to avoid became commonplace. Either way having the lightning power pretty much shuts down Big Daddys and Handymen completely and makes them weak uninteresting enemies.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts
The game was near perfect (nothing can be perfect). The gameplay was fun and engaging, the story was beautiful, and everything else was epic too.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Yeah, absolutely loved it and I didn't care for BioShock or BioShock 2 at all. Good job IG!
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
The entire basis for this thread is moot. It's not uncommon for games to undergo many changes throughout their development. So things that they may show you early on may not necessarily make the final cut for various reasons. I simply don't understand your list of "grievances" up there considering this fact, or why you would bother to waste time comparing early trailers to the final product.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

NOT PERFECT

The game is not near perfect. In the middle of the game it gets very repetitive, setting you up in areas to fight waves of the same enemies that get boring (The Patroits, Fireman and Hoodlums). Starts to actually feel like a generic FPS at some moments. Would have liked more flowing gameplay where your moving through new areas faster. The atmosphere is great, but even that gets repetitive because you start seeing the same crap over and over, should have been more varied, they could have made the sky land have different looking places. The story was good but not all that great, you can tell they were trying very hard, a bit twisted for me and I think could have been much better.

Its still a great game, 8.5/10 (Not going to DVCK suck it though), better than Bioshock 2, but not  part 1 when part 1 it first came out I was in Awwwwww. To me Tomb Raider was much more of an accomplishment than Bioshock Infinite, considering how sucky previous entries have been, and How entertaining the Tomb Raider Reboot is.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i prefer how the game turned out. it's partly due to context that you can't really get in a little demo, with the happier and more bustling streets of columbia making a better juxtaposition for when the city takes up arms. the other part is the scripting. the combat in the demo all felt staged. the more scripted events in the actual game were mostly limited to full statements of the factions' ideologies where the feeling of falseness fits in better.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Definitely am happy with how the game turned out.  I did notice a lack of environmental pieces to use plasmids with (though, I suppose it made sense to have more water to electric shock in the original game).  My only real complaing is the audio at times had the background sound being too loud when people were talking (happened a lot in the areas around Comstock house and when trying to listen to Lady Comstock.

The ending was a nice little surprise, as I thought Anna would have ended up being his wife and possibly being Lady Comstock.  Well, really the whole ending was very well done, especially since it requires the player to actually think about it and after unfolding it, realize how well written the game is.  Still trying to figure out of the ending just killed the Bookers who were to turn into Comstock or not, because the after credit scene has Booker and possibly Anna, but it is in black and white, so maybe it's another tear, which of course begs the question if whether or not Comstock and Columbia still exist.

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sagejonathan

Still trying to figure out of the ending just killed the Bookers who were to turn into Comstock or not, because the after credit scene has Booker and possibly Anna, but it is in black and white, so maybe it's another tear, which of course begs the question if whether or not Comstock and Columbia still exist.

blueboxdoctor
No one really knows what to make of that. I heard some say that with all the events that happened in the end that it was like a restart button where Booker gets a second chance with Anna. I interpret it as one of the many infinite universes where Booker goes through everything we did but ends up living happily ever after. Maybe the DLC will explain it all.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I had a really hard time getting into Bioshock 1, and didnt even finish Bioshock 2, but i thought Infinte was awesome.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I've been reading reviews and have to say I'm more than a little disappointed.

-We were told you could choose between the two factions (Vox Populi and whatever the evil, racist faction). Didn't happen.

-No choice at all.

-No different endings.

-Can't fall off the skyrails (or whatever they're called)

-limited Handyman (Big Daddy) fights.

-only 2 or 3 of the plasmids are useful. The rest are underpowered or too situational.

-no puzzles.

I wanted to be evil for my first playthrough. Now I'll probably wait till next gen to download it. 2 path choice was always part of the Bioshock formula. Guess they figured that siding the racist established powers would be too controversial.

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sagejonathan

I've been reading reviews and have to say I'm more than a little disappointed.

-We were told you could choose between the two factions (Vox Populi and whatever the evil, racist faction). Didn't happen.

-No choice at all.

-No different endings.

-Can't fall off the skyrails (or whatever they're called)

-limited Handyman (Big Daddy) fights.

-only 2 or 3 of the plasmids are useful. The rest are underpowered or too situational.

-no puzzles.

I wanted to be evil for my first playthrough. Now I'll probably wait till next gen to download it. 2 path choice was always part of the Bioshock formula. Guess they figured that siding the racist established powers would be too controversial.

Boddicker
They made a lot of changes but it was for the better I think. I'm glad that they decided to not let you join any faction. The story became much more powerful because of that; at first the Founders looked evil and the Vox Populi were freedom fighters, but after you jump into the tear to see the Vox Populi in power, the Vox Populi were tyrannical. Irrational was sending one of their many messages, that power can corrupt anyone. The moment where you see Fitzroy about to kill the innocent child was a very emotional moment and seeing her true character was a very emotional moment. There were no choices which was a dissapointment. I'll be honest there, but Kevin Levine's a genius. He probably did it for a good reason. You can fall off skyrails. I've done many airstrikes with them and they were very useful; at least I think that's what you meant by falling of rails. Handymen were limited, that's true. I think there were only five, but I don't think adding a couple more handymen would have made the game better. All the vigors were good. Yup, every single one was AWESOME. I used every single vigor except charge and bucking bronco because I personally didn't like them, but I've heard many argue that those two were the best in the game. Undertow was always useful, shock jockey was a must use, crows were very helpful, possession helped me use the best of enemies for me and then they would commit suicide eliminating the trouble, The absorbing one was life saving against the motorized patriots, and devils kiss was good for taking out crowds. Bucking Bronco I heard made killing enemies a breeze since they were locked in midair for a good deal of time, and charge was super powerful and could get you close and personal. A few puzzles would have been nice but I was having so much fun that I didn't care about that. That's my two cents.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blueboxdoctor

[QUOTE="blueboxdoctor"]

Still trying to figure out of the ending just killed the Bookers who were to turn into Comstock or not, because the after credit scene has Booker and possibly Anna, but it is in black and white, so maybe it's another tear, which of course begs the question if whether or not Comstock and Columbia still exist.

sagejonathan

No one really knows what to make of that. I heard some say that with all the events that happened in the end that it was like a restart button where Booker gets a second chance with Anna. I interpret it as one of the many infinite universes where Booker goes through everything we did but ends up living happily ever after. Maybe the DLC will explain it all.

Is there any news on what the DLC may be about?  I'm thinking of getting the season pass just to save money (as I intend to get the DLC) but want to see if it'll be substantial DLC. 

As for that ending scene after the credits, I get having it be up to the player and fitting the themes of the game, but it breaks up the closure a little from the previous scene.

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sagejonathan
It hasn't been revealed what the DLC will be about. I'm eagerly waiting for a reveal too.
csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

I LOVED every minute of this game...I finished it 100% already....I'm excited for the  DLC !

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#17 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

It was an amazing game without a doubt, though I was a little disappointed not to see what happened in the early trailer come into play in any way. It won't be the GOTY I hoped it'd be, but it was still awesome and a worthy Bioshock entry.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
I enjoyed the game a lot. Also I noticed that with all the old trailers and gameplay vids. Nothing from those was used inside the actual retail release.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blueboxdoctor

I enjoyed the game a lot. Also I noticed that with all the old trailers and gameplay vids. Nothing from those was used inside the actual retail release.Arthas045

Gameplay wise no, but there was a lot of dialogue that was used/slightly altered in the final release (i.e. Elizabeth telling Booker not to let Songbird take her away again).

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#20 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Infinite is a great game, I was very happy with how it turned out and I thought the story was great. On my second playthrough I'm utilizing every tactic the game makes available, and it's a blast. There are certain clothing combinations that I discovered on my second playthrough that make Booker incredibly powerful, and I am having a lot of fun taking my time exploring the city.