Big-name games you don't find appealing at all.

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

There's a common thread on these forums which is "Big-game name you don't like" where people will answer stuff like : "I tried Killzone 2 but it sucks" or "GTA IV was badly overrated, it's not that good" or "I hate CoD" or "I don't get what the fuss is with MGS4, it looks extremely boring". (Those are not my opinion, just random examples where critically acclaimed games are bashed).

Along the same lines, I'd like to know if it ever happened to you guys to just hear about a game, read/watch some reviews, see it getting 80, 85 or even 90 from all critics and you still go like "Meh, doesn't look good, I won't even try it".

It happens to me sometimes, more than I thought it would. For example, I have absolutely no interest in Heavy Rain, no matter the multiple AAA and AAAA scores it received. It's not that it looks like a bad game, it just doesn't appeal to me one bit. Mafia II is a big meh as well, as well as other games I'm forgetting.

Of course sometimes I can be proven wrong. Uncharted just didn't appeal to me at first, and when a friend who works a EB Games told me it was probably the best thing on PS3 (in late '08 ), I went for it. Boy was he right, one of the best experiences on PS3. So it CAN be misleading.

What about you guys? Any big-name game you don't find interesting at all?

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Definitely agree with you, there are a bunch big name games that, ironically, I have little to no interest in.

Here's just some:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - from the looks of it, too many cutscenes, confusing story, whatever - not interested

inFamous - made the mistake of buying this game, it's downright awful

LittleBigPlanet - not really into the whole platformer thing

Uncharted (any of them) - good story, but too linear in my opinion. They're not bad games, just they didn't appeal to me.

Before anyone starts ranting about this, please remember it's just MY OPINION. Yours may be completely different, and that's fine.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Dragon Age. I mean, I was interested, but I played it and.... Its just not interesting. Also, Littlebigplanet. I'm intrigued by the idea, but after playing the first one I can really live without it.
risako9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 risako9
Member since 2011 • 840 Posts

Assassin's Creed - Most gamers love it. But i think the gameplay is dull and repetitive. I played the first one halfway through but got extremely bored

that i felt like i was wasting my time. So, Ejected it from my PS3 and sold it.

Uncharted 2 - I know this game is Epic for most gamers, and yes i don't find it appealing.

Final Fantasy XIII - I admit this is a great game but not as great as the old ones. They lost the Final Fantasy "feel" since the 12th installment.

Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts

GTA4 and RDR, just couldn't get into them.

JMattM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JMattM
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts

Little Big Planet - Insanely creative with user levels, but I didn't find much appealing about the platforming. Then again, I didn't play with other people either, maybe that's the appeal of the first, I don't know.

Infamous - Couldn't get into it. I felt it was rather bland.

Generally, any online shooter. I've even soured on MAG. If I wanted to play Counter-Strike, I'd play Counter-Strike. I tend to find the same things, even in team games, in each one I try.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="risako9"]

Assassin's Creed - Most gamers love it. But i think the gameplay is dull and repetitive. I played the first one halfway through but got extremely bored

that i felt like i was wasting my time. So, Ejected it from my PS3 and sold it.

Uncharted 2 - I know this game is Epic for most gamers, and yes i don't find it appealing.

Final Fantasy XIII - I admit this is a great game but not as great as the old ones. They lost the Final Fantasy "feel" since the 12th installment.

Not that it matters, but I think its general consensus that the first AC was dull and repetive. I hated it. The second one... OMG! I'm just saying that in case you haven't given the second one a shot. Its worth it. I would also like to add that I don't care for CoD multiplayer or many other multiplayer games. I really don't understand the obsession with running around and shooting anyone who's foolish enough to run at you. It takes a very special game to draw me into the multiplayer. BFBC2 is good. KZ2 is good. TF2 is good. I admit I couldn't get into much else.
mcgeehe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mcgeehe
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts
The only one that really comes to mind ATM is Dragon Age: Origins. I bought it used and returned it 2 days later. Just couldn't get into it. I was also a little bit disappointed with Medal of Honor, only because at the end of the last mission I was thinking, "Sweet whats gonna happen on the next level?" *roll credits* "WTF!?"
wazzawazza18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 wazzawazza18
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

GTA

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

Killzone, Infamous and Resistance. Tried to like 'em, I really did! :oops:

Avatar image for lovetheblindone
lovetheblindone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lovetheblindone
Member since 2005 • 1733 Posts

Grand Theft Auto series, Call of Duty series (I must admit I have never played one, it just doesn't seem like my kind of game), God of War series, Resistance series, Ico and also Shadow of the Colossus.

My list could go on... but I'll end it there.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

The first Assassins Creed. What a steaming pile o' poo.

That game was so damned overrated it was not even funny. Tedious and repetitive certainly come to mind.

I also bought and did not enjoy Army of Two. I just didn't like the mechanics of the game at all. But my son loved it so it wasn't a total waste.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

GTA4- It was boring and I dislike it for some reason (I liked RDR though..)

Assassin Creed 1 - Forced myself to beat it and it was boring tbh. (2nd and brotherhood is great though)

Infamous - Was ok for a bit till it was the same thing over and over again. (good story though)

evil_angel74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 evil_angel74
Member since 2007 • 988 Posts
Dead Space. I never really liked the look of it or anything about it, but I kept hearing all this praise. So I gave it a rent, and I hated it. The necromorphs made me laugh half the time and I just felt the gameplay was too dull and sluggish. I don't want CoD-style frenetic gameplay, but it just felt like I was carrying a giant sandbag on each thumb.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Of course. Regardless of how much other people like the games, my money is finite, so I'm not going to buy a game to just give it a chance unless it's dirt cheap.

For instance, Socom.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts

mainly racing, jrpg games a few titles/upcoming i have no interest in are:

• GT5
  • LBP2
  • Bulletstorm
  • Dragon Age 2 (mainly due to all the DLC that will come out waiting for GOTY edition)
  • Any Final Fantasy game
  • Any MGS game
  • Crysis 2
bluemonkey777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bluemonkey777
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Yes i also agree there are many big name games that i don't like or don't have interest in here is a list: Dragon Age: i watched my friend play it and i thought it was entirely too boring. Final Fantasy: Is one of the biggest i cant stand and its not just one it is any of them i dont get the hype they are all the same game pretty much and i cant stand time based i know the latest ones haven't been time based but still i have no interest. Mass effect 2: This game looked so boring also, and usually i am always down for a third person shooter but i played the first one and no thanks i dont even want to see game play.
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

I stay away from FPS, excessive gore, bland or robotic narrative, moral choice type, simulation, sport, rhythm, online, WOW like game and over the top stylish hack-n-slash.

• God of War
  • DMC
  • Bayonetta
  • Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Fallout
  • Demon's Soul
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Every single big name FPS (COD, Crysis, Killzone)
  • GT5
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

RDR, Dragon Age and all the CoDs after the first MW.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#21 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Heavy Rain: It is basically a game where you solve mysteries not much action. I need to play fun games

Killzone 2:Overatted graphics,average gameplay

Modnation Racers:Not a patch on Mario Kart

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
COD and MSG are the big ones honestly. and GTA since GTA 3 i just havent been able to get into it. the ultimately is i have a ton of games on my backlog and there are countless big name games i havent really given a fair chance probably like GTA 4 and MSG and super mario galaxy and a whole lot of other games. that i just pass them off as im not interested but the truth is if you own all 3 systems which i really dont know why i own all 3 systems anymore looking back it is kind of a waste. there are just one too many good games and it is impossible to get through them all. factor that into im one of the many that buy games a lot but dont always finish them so i need to just sit through and finish them all. but i did just buy dead space 2 which i know ill finish lol. so in short there are too many to list and im sure half of them at least are because i dont have time to play EVERY game.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles: played for 30 minutes and never touched it again. so now i've come to realize i hate strategy games
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

Heavy Rain: It is basically a game where you solve mysteries not much action. I need to play fun games

chocolate1325

It's not a game where you solve mysteries. It's a game that tells a specific story. Where your decisions affect what happens in the game.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Not really, I'm more the kind of person who just buys anything that looks interessting, there's rarely a game I don't get that is well received

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Racing sims of any kind even the big ones like Gran Turismo and Forza, they just do nothing for me.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrSelf-Destruct
Racing sims of any kind even the big ones like Gran Turismo and Forza, they just do nothing for me. Second_Rook
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I love racing games, but I want them to be as unrealistic as possible. lol
WhiskeyBlade55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 WhiskeyBlade55
Member since 2009 • 654 Posts
inFamous GTA Red Dead Redemption Fallout 3 Call of Duty Killzone
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Not interested in the Killzone series or Resistance series all that much. Not that much of a fan of FPS anymore.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
grand thef auto games and red redenption
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - The controls just feel horribly awkward and the combat is just really unsatisfying to me. Also, the game loves to hit you with cheap shots. Dead Space - I think it's a great game but as far as it being hailed as "the greatest survival horror game" or "the scariest game ever", no. It's neither scary or survival horror. I don't find having an arsenal of a small army and military-grade weapons as scary. Mass Effect 2 - Maybe it was just the demo they put out but every time I look at that game I go "meh". I just don't see what was so special about it. All the dialogue sequences seemed horribly awkward and the gameplay wasn't fun in the slightest bit. I felt very meh about the game when it came out on the 360 and after the demo, it's just confirmed my feeling. Demon's Souls - That's a big name game, right? I mean everyone says it's damn near perfect......no. I just can't help but shake my head every time someone tells how much they love that game. I don't get it, it just doesn't click with me.
hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

all of the CoD games.

InFamous

Resistance 1 and 2

Ratchet and Clank

Madden football games

Not a game, but the whole Xbox 360 console.

hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

Dead Space - I think it's a great game but as far as it being hailed as "the greatest survival horror game" or "the scariest game ever", no. It's neither scary or survival horror. I don't find having an arsenal of a small army and military-grade weapons as scary.anime_gamer007

I LOVE the DS series. The 1st game is in my own top ten of all time, though the 2nd game may dethrone it .

However i agree with you...its not hard to survive with all the credits/health/ammo they hook you up with. Also, the scare tactics are pretty much recycled throughout the whole game.

I have to add...if you want to play Dead Space on real survivalist terms, play a run through DS2 on hardcore mode. THATS true survival horror for you.

EkoHoshunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EkoHoshunin
Member since 2009 • 76 Posts

@hawk549

funny you would say that i feel the same but i have to say all FPS, especiallymultiplayer modes with the exception of BFBC2, destroy my soul. Someone also mentioned that racing games should be as unrealistic as possible, I completely agree and my favorite one to date was burnout takedown for ps2.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
[QUOTE="Second_Rook"]Racing sims of any kind even the big ones like Gran Turismo and Forza, they just do nothing for me. MrSelf-Destruct
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I love racing games, but I want them to be as unrealistic as possible. lol

Give me Burnout or a kart racer everytime.
scar-hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 scar-hawk
Member since 2008 • 5404 Posts
Not really into Final Fantasy. (maybe it was just X but I hated that wheel thing) I ddn't like FO3. I also didn't like Infamous too much. Arkham Asylum didn't really impress me either.
jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 jiggaloj
Member since 2006 • 4345 Posts

I could never get into the Metal Gear series.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Second_Rook"]Racing sims of any kind even the big ones like Gran Turismo and Forza, they just do nothing for me. Second_Rook

Give me Burnout or a kart racer everytime.

Yes sir. Burnout Paradise is my favorite. :D
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="anime_gamer007"]Dead Space - I think it's a great game but as far as it being hailed as "the greatest survival horror game" or "the scariest game ever", no. It's neither scary or survival horror. I don't find having an arsenal of a small army and military-grade weapons as scary.hawk549

I LOVE the DS series. The 1st game is in my own top ten of all time, though the 2nd game may dethrone it .

However i agree with you...its not hard to survive with all the credits/health/ammo they hook you up with. Also, the scare tactics are pretty much recycled throughout the whole game.

I have to add...if you want to play Dead Space on real survivalist terms, play a run through DS2 on hardcore mode. THATS true survival horror for you.

I played through Dead Space 1 (haven't played Dead Space 2 yet) on Impossible and platinumed the game, it was not difficult in my opinion. The game gives you plenty of health items and ammo, especially for the Plasma Cutter which is basically the best gun in the game anyways. Want "true" survival horror? Go play the Resident Evil remake on the GC and play on "Real Survivor". It makes Dead Space 1 on Impossible using only Plasma Cutter look like Care Bears. :P

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts
  • Call of Duty series
  • Grand Theft Auto series
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Final Fantasy VS XIII and XIII-2 and XIV and any other spinoffs I've forgotten
  • FIFA
  • Rock Band / Guitar Hero
  • Street Fighter

I'm completely uninterested in those games, and wouldn't play them even if someone gave them to me.

quasarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 quasarwolf
Member since 2011 • 242 Posts

I played RDR for an hour and a half and all i did was ride a horse which was very akward to control. its hard for me to imagine how it got such great reviews.

I was really dissapointed in CoD WaW. i donno but this game didnt compare tothe MWseries. the funest part was killing zombies all night.

Urizen5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Urizen5
Member since 2006 • 521 Posts

Pretty much any FPS

CoD--Boring, and involves boring and cheap tactics to get rewards. Poor design concept in my eyes.

Heavy Rain-Horrible Horrible looking and animated game. Liked the concept, played all scenerios, but it looked "dated". I believe development was too long.

Oblivion- not a fan of how it's played, hands in front of screen, why i didn't play Bioshock. Though I do plan i getting new Elder Scrolls game this Nov. I'll give it a shot.

Avatar image for EpiphoneMan2008
EpiphoneMan2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 EpiphoneMan2008
Member since 2009 • 7169 Posts

Definitely agree with you, there are a bunch big name games that, ironically, I have little to no interest in.

Here's just some:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - from the looks of it, too many cutscenes, confusing story, whatever - not interested

inFamous - made the mistake of buying this game, it's downright awful

LittleBigPlanet - not really into the whole platformer thing

Uncharted (any of them) - good story, but too linear in my opinion. They're not bad games, just they didn't appeal to me.

Before anyone starts ranting about this, please remember it's just MY OPINION. Yours may be completely different, and that's fine.

Vari3ty
well on the MGS4 thing, you REALLY have to play the first 3.... if you dont then yes you wont understand anything
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Mass Effect2 Red Dead Redemption (It's opening up to me finally) Grand Theft Auto 4(I liked Ballad of Gay Tony)
Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts

The GTA series is a turn off for me. I don't care what kind of reputation it has and its ratings. It just doesn't interest me.

I think it celebrates the lowest of social class and moral ethics. Banging a hooker and drinking some booze before I do some drugs on my way to shoot some civilians and cops just isn't my brand of fun.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
LittleBigPlanet was terribly boring so I have no interest in that or the sequel whatsoever. I've never been a big fan of the racing genre as a whole, but I REALLY don't like racing sims so GT5 didn't appeal to me in the slightest bit. I also didn't like GTA IV that much, but I wonder if maybe I was just tired of sandbox games at the time it came out. RDR has me hooked right now though so I think I might give GTA IV another try when I finish that up.
roflninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 roflninja
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I don't see the big fuss with Mass Effect series ( though I did like Dragon Age Origins) Little Big Planet Halo Call of Duty ( I do enjoy playing it, but I know a lot of people who play it 24/7)
drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

COD. Just can't get into it for some reason.

rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts

I stay away from FPS, excessive gore, bland or robotic narrative, moral choice type, simulation, sport, rhythm, online, WOW like game and over the top stylish hack-n-slash.

• God of War
  • DMC
  • Bayonetta
  • Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Fallout
  • Demon's Soul
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Every single big name FPS (COD, Crysis, Killzone)
  • GT5

Everiez

Then what do you play??? Haha just playing.