BC via Firmware upgrade Rumors

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PS3Gamer_1
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts

http://www.psu.com/Rumour--Backwards-compatibility-still-in-works-for-PS3-News--a0005609-p0.php

If this happens it would be great! Looking forward to playing some classic PS2 games. But just rumors so far!

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

I hope this happens - I now have an 80gb model without BC - and I want more than anything to play GOW 1 and GOW 2 again before GOW 3 comes out. I would like to do it without buying another PS2 - though I have been thinking about doing that. It would be really nice if SONY allowed all PS3's to use BC even if it is only software based.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts
This has been a rumor for a while, hasn't it?
POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
yeah i hope this happens since my 60gb gpu fried so i took it back to bestbuy and had to get the new 80gb with out BC
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

"Sony almost added PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to a recent PlayStation 3 firmware update, but changed its mind at the last minute."

Why? :?

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DataDream
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

"Sony almost added PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility to a recent PlayStation 3 firmware update, but changed its mind at the last minute."

My thoughts exactly - that would've been a sweet Christmas present for all of us.
dddggghhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dddggghhh
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I really hope this is true, if sony is reading, i already own a 60gb, but i woudl go out and buy a brand new 160gb if i could have bc via patch, moreover i would love to buy ps2 games on the psn, thatd b awsome.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

Floppy_Jim

ps2's are still selling strong and you can rest assured that even at the super cheap price they're going at it's virtually all profit for them, i don't see them supporting software based BC until they discontinue production of ps2 hardware. its business, can't blame them i guess but it would be awesome of them to release it early.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DataDream
[QUOTE="z4twenny"][QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

ps2's are still selling strong and you can rest assured that even at the super cheap price they're going at it's virtually all profit for them, i don't see them supporting software based BC until they discontinue production of ps2 hardware. its business, can't blame them i guess but it would be awesome of them to release it early.

Yeah it's businees - bad business. It's not like they would alienate their already strong PS2 base - it would just further promote the PS3 for people and new users, which should be their main focus at this point. I know what you're saying though - but in the end it could actually be more profitable for them to support BC on the PS3 and push sales because of it as opposed to still promoting the PS2. The fact is that if one PS3 supports BC - then by this point in this generation all PS3's should support it to some degree. The 60gb model would still have the hardware advantage - but all PS3's should have software BC at a minnimum. At leas that's my opinion - just not SONY's I guess. :P
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
i doubt they'll bother, but with ps2 sales slowing down from last year, they might as well. It will then help people make the transition from ps2 to ps3.
PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PS3Gamer_1
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

z4twenny

Agree with you on the fact that ps2 hardware sales are still strong. But I do note that many ps2 owners purchased a 360 when those consoles first came out, they wanted to jump in to the next gen, and if sony were to offer bc for the ps3 this would make many other ps2 owners jump on the ps3. I don't think this will hinder sales of the ps2, since people buying ps2 will buy it for it's library, and cheaper alternative to all gaming systems out there. But imagine the sales the ps3 would have if bc were included. People wanting to purchase a ps2 for its games would now consider sepnding much more for the ps3 because not only it's current features (bluray, internet, gaming, etc.) but als the ability to play ps2 games. The software sales of ps2 would continue to remain strong, as well as promote it's current software and hardware sales. Just thinking out loud.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Don't you need emulators? How would this even be possible?

Are emulators hardware or software?

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zidaneski
I don't see how including BC again would boost sales. The early PS3s already had it and we found out how well that went.
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
i wouldn't be suprised if they made you guys pay for the B/C Download. But for us 20GB & 60GB owners, we're enjoying our FULL b/c muahahha :)
SikKwuN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SikKwuN
Member since 2007 • 1442 Posts
wasnt the whole purpose of removing BC from the skus was to encourage people to buy ps3 games?
PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PS3Gamer_1
I don't see how including BC again would boost sales. The early PS3s already had it and we found out how well that went.Zidaneski
The early PS3 sales were hindered by many factors. Too many SKU's confused people, high price point deterred many people away from Sony, especially with the lack of launch titles. This has been discussed to death. The addition of hardware bc hindered sony because of the pricing (they claim that in order to reduce prices, they would have to remove hardware bc to reduce costs) Adding BC now may induce many ps2 owners to make the jump. Not everyone has jumped into this gen of consoles. BC would also boost or continue to support sales of ps2 software, and also (obviously) help boost software sales for ps3.
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mckenna1845

Scianix-Black
They can be both, like you can get pretty much any emulator for pc which are all software based, or like the 60gb ps3 you can put the hardware into the console. The problem with software is that you can run into glitches and games just not working.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Scianix-Black
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Mckenna1845

They can be both, like you can get pretty much any emulator for pc which are all software based, or like the 60gb ps3 you can put the hardware into the console. The problem with software is that you can run into glitches and games just not working.

Which leads me to believe that this may not happen.

And even if it did, I don't want it to be mandatory.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Mckenna1845

what about the 80 gig ps3? dose it have the BC software or the hardware? (just wondreing)

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DataDream
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="Mckenna1845"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Just curious why it would matter if it were a software emulator - why would you care if it was mandatory or not? It wouldn't change your experience - so if you didn't want to play a PS2 game you just wouldn't and you would never even know it was there. Sony already did do the software emulator with some models and hardware with others - so it's definitely available. Just not sure why anyone would be opposed to this because like I said if you didn't play a PS2 game you wouldn't even know the emulator was there?
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Scianix-Black
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="Mckenna1845"] They can be both, like you can get pretty much any emulator for pc which are all software based, or like the 60gb ps3 you can put the hardware into the console. The problem with software is that you can run into glitches and games just not working.DataDream

Just curious why it would matter if it were a software emulator - why would you care if it was mandatory or not? It wouldn't change your experience - so if you didn't want to play a PS2 game you just wouldn't and you would never even know it was there. Sony already did do the software emulator with some models and hardware with others - so it's definitely available. Just not sure why anyone would be opposed to this because like I said if you didn't play a PS2 game you wouldn't even know the emulator was there?

Well, it's like Mckenna said, the software emulators bring about glitches and stuff, plus I've already got BC on my console.

So I don't want my hardware, which works fine, to be replaced with a software upgrade that could potentially be glitchy.

Unless the update somehow detects my PS3 has BC already and just does nothing.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mckenna1845
[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

finalstar2007

what about the 80 gig ps3? dose it have the BC software or the hardware? (just wondreing)

yeah the 80gb is software emulation, which is why this whole rumor thing is around.
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Scianix-Black
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"][QUOTE="Mckenna1845"] They can be both, like you can get pretty much any emulator for pc which are all software based, or like the 60gb ps3 you can put the hardware into the console. The problem with software is that you can run into glitches and games just not working.Mckenna1845

yeah the 80gb is software emulation, which is why this whole rumor thing is around.

Oh, so I have software.

BUT STILL.

Would the new update software replace my perfect, old one?

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zidaneski

[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]I don't see how including BC again would boost sales. The early PS3s already had it and we found out how well that went.PS3Gamer_1
The early PS3 sales were hindered by many factors. Too many SKU's confused people, high price point deterred many people away from Sony, especially with the lack of launch titles. This has been discussed to death. The addition of hardware bc hindered sony because of the pricing (they claim that in order to reduce prices, they would have to remove hardware bc to reduce costs) Adding BC now may induce many ps2 owners to make the jump. Not everyone has jumped into this gen of consoles. BC would also boost or continue to support sales of ps2 software, and also (obviously) help boost software sales for ps3.

There was the 20gig, and 60gig and they could play PS2/PS1/PS3 games and Blu-ray movies. If PS2 owners wanted to make the jump they would have. Many didn't, I guess they were happy to continue playing their PS2 games. Now PS3 is cheaper now and doesn't play PS2 games. Ok, thats fine more people bought it now cause they have a PS2 and didn't need their PS3 to play PS2 games. Whats the point of adding BC back into it? PS2 owners have no need for that. And if anyone doesn't have a PS2 why didn't they get a PS3 when it was able to play practically all PS1/PS2/PS3 ad Blu-rays? You get FOUR systems in one right there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Scianix-Black

Oh, so I have software.

BUT STILL.

I don't believe it's 100% software, I think they added one of the hardware components in the 80 GB (with BC) so it'll run most, not all. I mean, if it WAS 100% software, why don't the newer PS3's have any sort of BC? It's not that hard to include software, even at a business standpoint it's not a bad thing to include BC now. Remember the PS2? I believe it was released while the PS1 was still in production and that still didn't stop it from being sold. Not to mention BC is a huge selling point for a ton of people and wouldn't hinder PS2 sales whatsoever.
-HeaveR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -HeaveR-
Member since 2006 • 270 Posts
I have a BC 60 GB PS3 but BC looks ugly and this one has one of the chips.... I cant imagine them pulling it off to emulate PS2 gfx well with just software... mine is half software emulated and the gfx dont even come close to what standard ps2 looks like.... so I hope so but I dont believe it will happen in the near future.
PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PS3Gamer_1

[QUOTE="PS3Gamer_1"][QUOTE="Zidaneski"]I don't see how including BC again would boost sales. The early PS3s already had it and we found out how well that went.Zidaneski

There was the 20gig, and 60gig and they could play PS2/PS1/PS3 games and Blu-ray movies. If PS2 owners wanted to make the jump they would have. Many didn't, I guess they were happy to continue playing their PS2 games. Now PS3 is cheaper now and doesn't play PS2 games. Ok, thats fine more people bought it now cause they have a PS2 and didn't need their PS3 to play PS2 games. Whats the point of adding BC back into it? PS2 owners have no need for that. And if anyone doesn't have a PS2 why didn't they get a PS3 when it was able to play practically all PS1/PS2/PS3 ad Blu-rays? You get FOUR systems in one right there.

The price---was very high for a console, especially with no launch titles. If you note the other consoles, their price points were much lower. And they also had much more launch titles. Sony had minimal launch titles. This will not sell a console, especially a pricey console!
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mckenna1845
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="Mckenna1845"] yeah the 80gb is software emulation, which is why this whole rumor thing is around.siLVURcross

Oh, so I have software.

BUT STILL.

I don't believe it's 100% software, I think they added one of the hardware components in the 80 GB (with BC) so it'll run most, not all. I mean, if it WAS 100% software, why don't the newer PS3's have any sort of BC? It's not that hard to include software, even at a business standpoint it's not a bad thing to include BC now. Remember the PS2? I believe it was released while the PS1 was still in production and that still didn't stop it from being sold. Not to mention BC is a huge selling point for a ton of people and wouldn't hinder PS2 sales whatsoever.

no i believe it is 100% software, which is why people think sony should include it. I'm not sure why Sony haven't done it yet, i guess they deem it unnecessary.

Scianix is right though if they include this for everybody it would mess up the 60gb as that's hardware based, and they might conflict.

What they should do, if they believe ps2 sales would be hindered, is add it to the psn store and put a small charge to it. It would benefit everybody that way.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DataDream
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="DataDream"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]

Well, it's like Mckenna said, the software emulators bring about glitches and stuff, plus I've already got BC on my console.

So I don't want my hardware, which works fine, to be replaced with a software upgrade that could potentially be glitchy.

Unless the update somehow detects my PS3 has BC already and just does nothing.

It would only cause glitches within the PS2 games though - not the rest of the system. Software emulators were already used in the PS3's with the initial 80gb version that had limited BC. Cool though. :)
hermes200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 hermes200
Member since 2003 • 1627 Posts
[QUOTE="Scianix-Black"][QUOTE="Mckenna1845"] yeah the 80gb is software emulation, which is why this whole rumor thing is around.siLVURcross
Oh, so I have software.

BUT STILL.

I think they already covered that. It is because the PS2 is still selling, it even outsold the PS3 sometimes and in some places, and they even talk about it in the E3. So, why would they work to drop a console that is still giving them money? And why would they work to make 20$ games available when they charge three times more with new developments? (thats retorical)

And 100% software is possible. Anyone that is into PC emulation knows that they can emulate pretty much anything, providing they have enough power and knowledge of the architecture (which one would think Sony has)...

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mckenna1845
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"][QUOTE="Scianix-Black"]Oh, so I have software.

BUT STILL.

Would the new update software replace my perfect, old one? hermes200

I think they already covered that. It is because the PS2 is still selling, it even outsold the PS3 sometimes and in some places, and they even talk about it in the E3. So, why would they work to drop a console that is still giving them money? And why would they work to make 20$ games available when they charge three times more with new developments? (thats retorical)

And 100% software is possible. Anyone that is into PC emulation knows that they can emulate pretty much anything, providing they have enough power and knowledge of the architecture (which one would think Sony has)...

yup i guess my way would work though, put it up on psn with a charge, so then it would benefit everyone.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

z4twenny

Exactly! Why give the consumer BC when they can get profit from people buying PS2's?
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#33 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

i wouldn't be suprised if they made you guys pay for the B/C Download. But for us 20GB & 60GB owners, we're enjoying our FULL b/c muahahha :)Sk8ter_213

LOL. 60GB owner right here & loving it.

JKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JKusanagi
Member since 2005 • 815 Posts
If it's true that they're releasing PS2 games on PS Store then BC emulation should be released, i don't think there's an explanation as to why a PS3 could run PS2 games that are on the HDD but not the ones on a disc
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts

[QUOTE="Sk8ter_213"]i wouldn't be suprised if they made you guys pay for the B/C Download. But for us 20GB & 60GB owners, we're enjoying our FULL b/c muahahha :)MusashiSensi

LOL. 60GB owner right here & loving it.

there's other models besides 60GB? ;) Part of it is probably the fact of how difficult software emulation can sometimes be. You have to have programmers sit down and bang out code. and it's game dependent. You can't just write code and it works for every game. ask anyone who owns the "other" system. we got some bc, but they pretty much gave up on it because of the problems going completely software bc.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zidaneski
[QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

[QUOTE="PS3Gamer_1"] The early PS3 sales were hindered by many factors. Too many SKU's confused people, high price point deterred many people away from Sony, especially with the lack of launch titles. This has been discussed to death. The addition of hardware bc hindered sony because of the pricing (they claim that in order to reduce prices, they would have to remove hardware bc to reduce costs) Adding BC now may induce many ps2 owners to make the jump. Not everyone has jumped into this gen of consoles. BC would also boost or continue to support sales of ps2 software, and also (obviously) help boost software sales for ps3. PS3Gamer_1

The price---was very high for a console, especially with no launch titles. If you note the other consoles, their price points were much lower. And they also had much more launch titles. Sony had minimal launch titles. This will not sell a console, especially a pricey console!

It was expensive. I saved up and waited for the price to go down. The PS2 is way cheap and so are its games. If someone wants a PS3 but has missed out on PS2 games I would think they would still buy a PS2 and just play that for a while until the PS3 drops even further in price. Walmart offers a $100 gift card these days. Theres your PS2 right there. If Sony has to spend more money to get BC back into consoles there is no way they would do it. I could see them making it available to download for those that don't have it but not without a hefty price tag. At least $20.

Avatar image for americahellyeah
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 americahellyeah
Member since 2006 • 16548 Posts
What if they gave PS2 BC on xmas along with the Open Home Beta and Socom 1.3 patch! that would rock
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts
It wouldn't run good. It could be with such a few number fo games. The 60 Gb had PS2 hardware. The 80 gb had the PS2 gpu. But full software could hve a lot of bugs, glitches and more. Plus very few games would run.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
News Flash : European 60GB PS3s = Software BC.
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 americahellyeah
News Flash : European 60GB PS3s = Software BC.rogerjak
yes the EE was emulated on the EU 60gb.. but it still has the GS (Graphic Synthesizer) chip to allow for BC.. while the 40 gb, newe 80gb, and 160 gb doesn't have the GS.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

What if they gave PS2 BC on xmasalong with the Open Home Beta and Socom 1.3 patch! that would rockamericahellyeah

Reahehehehelly? PS2?

OatmealKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 OatmealKing
Member since 2006 • 163 Posts
haha...suckers....im OG n got the 60gb w/ the software built in....while everyone said naw ill wait.....
americahellyeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 americahellyeah

[QUOTE="americahellyeah"]What if they gave PS2 BC on xmasalong with the Open Home Beta and Socom 1.3 patch! that would rockMusashiSensi

Reahehehehelly? PS2?

lol... yeah Sony could really give us PS3 owners a very merry xmas... of course all of which are just rumors at this point.. but Home Beta and Socom 1.3 are very plausible.
PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PS3Gamer_1
[QUOTE="PS3Gamer_1"][QUOTE="Zidaneski"]

Zidaneski

It was expensive. I saved up and waited for the price to go down. The PS2 is way cheap and so are its games. If someone wants a PS3 but has missed out on PS2 games I would think they would still buy a PS2 and just play that for a while until the PS3 drops even further in price. Walmart offers a $100 gift card these days. Theres your PS2 right there. If Sony has to spend more money to get BC back into consoles there is no way they would do it. I could see them making it available to download for those that don't have it but not without a hefty price tag. At least $20.

I agree with you. I am in that boat. I missed out on the ps2 games and wouldn't mind experiencing some great titles, not all, just a few. I didn't purchase a launch title because I found it to be to expensive to justify the purchase, and was disappointed with the selection of launch titles. I waited for the price drop, which did occur, along with the loss of features. I doubt that addition of software emulator would cost Sony much, since they already have software emulation on the older 80gb sku. At this point, if they offered it it may entice those gamers who want to make the jump from ps2 to ps3. They can trade in their ps2 for the ps3. Also, for people on the market for a ps2, they can see this system as having more value, and may entice them to spend more money. For those who are just looking for the cheapest console, there pretty much is no enticing them there.
SirOWNZalot86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SirOWNZalot86
Member since 2008 • 695 Posts
yeah i hope this happens since my 60gb gpu fried so i took it back to bestbuy and had to get the new 80gb with out BCPOPEYE1716
same thing happened to me!