Anyone else sickened by the MK gore?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

Y'know, I am a pretty big fan of the MK games on the SNES. But for one reason or another, the fatalities in the new Mortal Kombat are just ludicrously sickening to me. Now, don't go a-flamin', I can handle some gore here and there, but really, some of these are so brutal it's horrific to watch in some cases.

This might just be part of the game's dark tone, but it is somewhat of a turnoff for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

As always, there is never a wrong opinion. Have a nice evening. :)

ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
Awesome
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

No i dont see the problem its no worse than previous MK games imo and then there's always the one thing you know the fact that its a video game. I dont judge though if its not your thing its not your thing.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
They are not much worse than MK3 just upgraded graphics. That is what the series is known for. The series has been dieing so this is a reboot to bring it back to its prime.
Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Sickening? No. Lame? Yes.

That is the only selling point of Mortal Kombat. The gore overkill. It was controversial in the early to mid 90's, but it's just stale and dead now.

MK's marketing relied on pixelated blood. Something rather "unheard of" back then. We're now in an era of mature games that would consider it "small potatoes" and pointless.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CaptainAhab13
They are not much worse than MK3 just upgraded graphics. That is what the series is known for. The series has been dieing so this is a reboot to bring it back to its prime.wooooode
I agree, I think the series is going to see a major rebirth, which is wonderful. I know many friends who are going to pick it up on launch day.
Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Then don't do any fatalities...Problem solved.:lol:

jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

Y'know, I am a pretty big fan of the MK games on the SNES. But for one reason or another, the fatalities in the new Mortal Kombat are just ludicrously sickening to me. Now, don't go a-flamin', I can handle some gore here and there, but really, some of these are so brutal it's horrific to watch in some cases.

This might just be part of the game's dark tone, but it is somewhat of a turnoff for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

CaptainAhab13
I think theyre just going back to their roots, the fatalities are just worse this time around cause the graphics are wayyy better. And Im sure theyre making these fatalities just crazy for the WTF factor. But yea I think it looks fun.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CaptainAhab13
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]

jerkface96
I think theyre just going back to their roots, the fatalities are just worse this time around cause the graphics are wayyy better. And Im sure theyre making these fatalities just crazy for the WTF factor. But yea I think it looks fun.

I must say I agree, I think it's just the HD graphics that are making my eyes pop out. :D Still, the game itself looks like a lot of fun, I'll undoubtedly play it sooner or later.
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jerkface96
[QUOTE="jerkface96"][QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]

CaptainAhab13

I must say I agree, I think it's just the HD graphics that are making my eyes pop out. :D Still, the game itself looks like a lot of fun, I'll undoubtedly play it sooner or later.

hahah yep, some of those fatalities were in the original MK, and now theyre Just Updated so it looks ridiculous haha. but yea it def. looks fun, I usually dont like MK games especially the most recent ones, but this looks DOPE.
gangster480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 gangster480
Member since 2006 • 856 Posts

in terms of gore, if a bad ass way. no matter how gory it is, I feel good watching it. Such as God of War, Gears, and mk.

But if its done in like a torturous way. I hate it. i cant stand watching those. same as movies. i love the blade series because wesley is so awesome when hekills, its enjoyable. i dont really know how to describe it.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

I love MK, Fallout 3 and GoW3

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

the fatalities are the franchise biggest selling point so i'm not surprised that it's been upped a notch to satisfy the violence-jaded audience nowadays. i'm not sickened, but troubled. with such loose regulations the minors will surely get their hands on the game - in fact will do so FOR the violence - and that can't be good.

Airek49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Airek49
Member since 2003 • 1081 Posts
This just in: Mortal Kombat is filled with gore!
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jinroh_basic

in terms of gore, if a bad ass way. no matter how gory it is, I feel good watching it. Such as God of War, Gears, and mk.

But if its done in like a torturous way. I hate it. i cant stand watching those. same as movies. i love the blade series because wesley is so awesome when hekills, its enjoyable. i dont really know how to describe it.

gangster480

the whole point of pulling off a fatality is to murder - execute - your foe in the most torturous and sadistic fashion. the fact that if i upload an image of it here i will most likely get moderated tells you how far it goes beyond the line. hell, let's do it any way, for experiment's sake -

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

[QUOTE="gangster480"]

Jinroh_basic

the whole point of pulling off a fatality is to murder - execute - your foe in the most torturous and sadistic fashion. the fact that if i upload an image of it here i will most likely get moderated tells you how far it goes beyond the line. hell, let's do it any way, for experiment's sake -

Thats funny, not disturbing. People are so sensitive these days.

jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jerkface96

LOL YEa that pictures is more of a "LOL WTF JUST HAPPENED, I CANT BELIEVE I JUST SAW THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING EVER ROFL LMAO LOL "/fratboytalk

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CaptainAhab13

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

[QUOTE="gangster480"]

Videodogg

Thats funny, not disturbing. People are so sensitive these days.

Arguably, people were more sensitive back then, considering (unless I'm mistaken) the fact that Mortal Kombat helped create the ESRB. Then again, I'm the one who started this thread, so I guess I'm not one to talk. ^^

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

actually i hope that they include also animality , babality , friendship , mercy , brutality into the new MK not only fatality as the new ones had , the choice of finish was what made MK so cool , and of course the over the top gore ^^ so much looking forward after all the dissapintments after MK-3/trilogy

Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Guyper
Member since 2004 • 3879 Posts

The problem with every new fatalities is that once you have seen them a couple of times, they lost their appealings then

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

The problem with every new fatalities is that once you have seen them a couple of times, they lost their appealings then

Guyper
that can be said about anything in any game , the good thing about fatalities was that you had to figure out yourself how to do them as they were not listed in manuals (without internet back then) , seeing em just made you want to being able to perform em even more
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
No, I'm never sickened by gore in a video game, because I know it's not real.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I think it looks awesome.
Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Guyper
Member since 2004 • 3879 Posts

[QUOTE="Guyper"]

AmnesiaHaze

that can be said about anything in any game , the good thing about fatalities was that you had to figure out yourself how to do them as they were not listed in manuals (without internet back then) , seeing em just made you want to being able to perform em even more

Yes, before the internet. They were big deals.

But now, thanks to the internet, they'll never be again. Whoever has played another fighting game called "Fist of the North Star" would know that the MK creators can learn something from that game by turning the fatalities into something more than just eye-candy.

Anyway, I guess this thread were meant for hardcore fans only. Well, I'm gone now.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I think I'm a little more put off by the hyper-sexualized female characters in the game now. Every female in the game has hard-as-rock implant-lookin' uber-boobs like Ivy in "Soul Calibur"... Sonya Blade was never Dolly Parton before. And I wasn't a fan of MK in the old days because of the violence, I was a fan because of the digitized characters and how they didn't have to look like Dahlsim in "Street Fighter" (over-the-top, cartoon). They looked, at the time, like real people. The fact that they ripped heads off, etc. wasn't the focus for me... Sounds like stretched truth, but it's not.

Do I want my fairly sensitive nephew who doesn't like scary movies to play or watch this new MK? Heck no. Am I psyched that they are returning to 2D combat with a full roster of characters? Yes, very much so. I have yet to purchase a fighting game for my PS3. This will do nicely.

And if I feel like learning a Fatality or two...

:D

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

the fatalities are the franchise biggest selling point so i'm not surprised that it's been upped a notch to satisfy the violence-jaded audience nowadays. i'm not sickened, but troubled. with such loose regulations the minors will surely get their hands on the game - in fact will do so FOR the violence - and that can't be good.

Jinroh_basic

And that's where parents come in...

Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

worlock77

Or don't, as the case often is.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Mortal Kombat and gore go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

actually i hope that they include also animality , babality , friendship , mercy , brutality into the new MK not only fatality as the new ones had , the choice of finish was what made MK so cool , and of course the over the top gore ^^ so much looking forward after all the dissapintments after MK-3/trilogy

AmnesiaHaze

I can't remember where I watched/read it, but if I'm not mistaken those aren't in. Or at least the cheesy ones aren't. I wouldn't mind a friendship one where say your character goes and gives a hand to a fallen foe, helps him/her to his/her feet or helps carry them off stage. Though then again there might not be enough variety for it. But definitely not the stupid pose with rainbow thing they did before.

As for fatalities itself, I like Kung Lao's one the most :P

Still, I probably won't get the game.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jinroh_basic

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

Nooberman2k

and when they do, brats go around crying foul for their "freedom". in fact alot of them do so on this very forum, where they are always encouraged to play whatever they want. see the dilemma there?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 worlock77

[QUOTE="Nooberman2k"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Jinroh_basic

and when they do, brats go around crying foul for their "freedom". in fact alot of them do so on this very forum, where they are always encouraged to play whatever they want. see the dilemma there?

I see no dilemma, and I see no reason why something aimed at adult audiences should be regulated just because some parents fail to do their job.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
If you're sickened by the hilariously cheesy (but awesome!) fatalities in Mortal Kombat then, honestly, I don't think gaming is really for you.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jinroh_basic

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

[QUOTE="Nooberman2k"] Or don't, as the case often is.worlock77

I see no dilemma, and I see no reason why something aimed at adult audiences should be regulated just because some parents fail to do their job.

i'm afraid there's a lapse in your logic. the game is not regulated for us adults, nor is it regulated because "parents fail to do their job". it is regulated because it is extremely violent. more importantly, there is also the fact that minors are mostly unappreciative of their parents guidance and this is often due to false sense of adulthood and misinformation they get from peers and media. thus it's naive - but sadly typical - to blame it all on parents.

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

HAHA are you serious the first mortal kombat had spines being ripped out by sub zero, i dont think they are that bad more entertaining than anything to see the things they come up with. Hopefully they have multiple fatalities per character and level fatalites like spikes and such

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
I totally agree, they are really disturbing. One day I decided to look at them all on YouTube, and eventually I became interested and wanted to keep going back to watch them :| lol
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#37 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Doesn't really bother me, but there is something offputting about the tone of Mortal Kombat. It's always been ridiculous, but with a weird dark undertone to the whole thing as if many of the developers were treating the game seriously. I got the same weird feeling about that early GoW3 video of Kratos slowly ripping the dude's head off. I love gore as much as the next guy (maybe more) but the way it's handled goes a long way towards making it amusing, rather than poorly made snuff-style material.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

No. It was always a part of the game and IMO it's fun to have brutal fatalaties

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

Jinroh_basic

i'm afraid there's a lapse in your logic. the game is not regulated for us adults, nor is it regulated because "parents fail to do their job". it is regulated because it is extremely violent. more importantly, there is also the fact that minors are mostly unappreciative of their parents guidance and this is often due to false sense of adulthood and misinformation they get from peers and media. thus it's naive - but sadly typical - to blame it all on parents.

It's "regulated" in that there are voluentary ratings applied, and that most retail outlets will not sell games that are mature rated to minors (which means that the parents must buy the game for the kid). So what further regulation would you wish?

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CaptainAhab13

EDIT: I watched 20 minutes of these fatalities on YouTube for the new Mortal Kombat with my friend, along with some stellar gameplay. Reminded me of the glory days on the SNES.

I am DEFINITELYpicking this game up.

Converted! :D

OmegaPillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OmegaPillow
Member since 2010 • 1055 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

Jinroh_basic

The game is rated M for a reason, most companies dont sell games to minor, that leaves it up to hm?

TheRealLisaAnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 TheRealLisaAnn
Member since 2010 • 160 Posts
Is this a joke topic? MK has always had gore in it. Unless you played the SNES versions. proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdIMqZ7S7og
00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

Aren't there filters... I like MK because Sub Zero and Scorpion are the best characters ever but I'm pretty sure I turned them off somehow.....

Ninja_Zombie83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 Ninja_Zombie83
Member since 2009 • 1893 Posts
I think the game looks great. Its going back to what people want to see in a MK game and those who complain about it don't need to play it. The fatalities are cool, the gore is expected. Its not cheap, its not lame, its not even small potatos because its original and people enjoy it.
Hot-Emo-Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hot-Emo-Boy
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts
i think the gore looks great
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jinroh_basic

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

OmegaPillow

The game is rated M for a reason, most companies dont sell games to minor, that leaves it up to hm?

i'm sure you know as well as i do that yours is a grossly optimistic view. Stores care just about as much as regular gamers do - which means they don't. in fact, isn't it the general consensus around here that ESRB is just a "guideline" and a worthless one at that?

i don't think this conversation is going anywhere constructive so this is my final input - i don't have anything with Mortal Kombat, or any other game, being extremely violent. it doesn't affect me. but what troubles me is that i'm sure countless minors will get their hands on the game in spite of regulations and parental guidance. it's easy for bystanders to yap that it's all up to parents or violent games create absolutely no implications, but since we're adults - i'm assuming we all are - i think it's only fair that we share the social responsibility and at least exercise prudence when criticizing ESRB and parents.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

One guy was so digusted about the gore in Fallout 3 he wrote a letter to PLAY magazine complaining about it, really funny.

Kismetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Kismetic
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

Gore and Mortal Kombat are synonimous. I was more offended when they did not have gore in Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts
so u want another MKvsDC ????
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

Ha...well when I think of the Mortal Kombat series, I don't exactly think of pillow fights...

MK has always been violent, the graphics are just better this time around.

I don't understand the logic in being against the gore...but for a game that's premise is fighting multiple opponents to the death. Some people seem awfully specific about the amount of violence they'll suddenly be objectionable to.

Then again, I would be kind of off-put if Mario started cutting off enemies heads and ripping them in two instead of jumping on them...so I guess it depends on the game.