Anyone Else BURNED OUT by Gaming in General?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

I've been a regular on these Forums and have been a diehard PlayStation fan ever since the original console was released back in 1995 (I think)...

Lately I've been feeling really burnt out on gaming. Maybe it's cause I'm starting grad school soon and time and money are very scarce. Maybe it's me breaking up with my girlfriend...maybe it's the nonsense that we call the "Console Wars"...maybe the overwhelming majority of games nowadays aren't as satisfying as the ones from years past...I don't know...something's missing and I can't explain it.

Gaming used to be a really welcome outlet, but lately I've been firing up my PS3 and staring at the XMB and Friends List instead of playing a game after getting out of work. I have basically every game worth owning, but lately, none seem like they're worth playing to me. I've temporarily lost my love of gaming and wonder if 30 some odd hours of "God of War 3" and "Uncharted 2" will be enough to restore it the way Metal Gear Solid 4 or even Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction did.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#2 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I more or less feel the same way as you. I really have little motivation to play through many games. I don't have a PS console, but I do agree with you that I'll often choose not to play games. I just got home from work a little while ago and while I own quite a few games, I don't really feel like playing most of them. The exception being BlazBlue right now which is one of the best fighters I've ever played. :P

Still, for the most part, I often find myself doing other things. Though, from about December of 2008 until April of 2009 I did not touch a videogame and didn't turn on any of my consoles at all. Slowly I've been playing a bit more games, with stuff like Mass Effect, Punch-Out!!, Klonoa and BlazBlue, but it's nowhere near what I used to want to play when I had free time. The thing is, I still get free time, but gaming isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I have free time.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
this gen had Valkyria Chronicles. im thankful just for that.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Getting burnt out on something happens with all hobbies or regular activities, its nothing to worry about. People get burnt out on writing, reading, sports so videogames are no different. I have been playing games for 20+ years and sometimes I get that urge to game, look at my collection and just say nevermind. Nothing wrong with the collection its just that sometimes you don't feel like it, like I haven't played a game since playing Punch Out with at a friends place a few weeks ago. It happens from time to time to everyone, its no big deal.
GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

not really
if anything its burning a hole in my pocket......
i just never have anytime to play

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

not me personally or at least not to that degree... i think to enjoy something thoroughly your life has to be in a good balance... if something is a miss, it could often have detrimental effects on unrelated activities or even those activities which were previously used to assist or amend various problems that existed in other segments of your life... it is very much possible that your surrounding environment and some seemingly unrelated circumstances are making you lose interest in gaming... that's something many people experience...

In my case, if something isn't in balance, it may become difficult to enjoy those things that i usually look to to attain a certain level of satisfaction...

you might be experiencing the same thing.

some may say that you're getting tired of gaming, but i think it's just the circumstances of your life and how you let external factors affect you... i'm sure that at a peaceful time and with the right game, you will return to your former self...

In terms of the actual games this gen, i in fact do feel that something intangible is often missing... but there are still games, just like in the psx and ps2 days, that grasp my attention. I'm happy with most of my games, and becasue the amount of time i can allocate to gaming has substantially decreased, i cherish my games even more.

zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

Hello, I'm a 30 year old man with a wife and three children . Yes, gaming has changed for me too . I'm gaming since 1984 , and there have been burnouts and highlights in the career for me, the real burnout being the time when PS2 peaked . I sold my PS2 right after gran turismo 3 and didn't play anything anymore until I bought an xbox with the game called Burnout3 (ironic) two years later . Since I have a PS3, gaming has changed again for me . First of all, I buy less games then before, and value is something which is very important to metoday in games, which is why I didn't buy Killzone2 or Infamous, but did buy AND enjoy Sacred 2 for example . Maybe I'llrent them later or buy them second hand, but $70 is too much for a short experience .Also, I buy lots of stuff from the online shop like Lumines, Worms, WipeoutHD and Battlefield . Those are games worth their price (especially Wipeout) for me . In the end I've come to notice that the way I play games has changed for me in my long running career . The main reason of course is that there are other things in my life now . The changes have come due to burnouts in gaming, so in the end it's only normal you're seeing a burnout now . You'll get through it and will enjoy gaming again one day, but maybe in a different way then before, and that's a bit sad, but that's life ...

dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dirtydishko2
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts
Maybe you've been playing too much? I dunno. I still love playing video games but for me I really only COD4 online. Maybe you're just coming to the realization that gaming, as an activity, is pretty counter-productive to socializing and building social relationships, and that gaming is not really a skill that one can proud to have honed. Anything else, any kind of sport, or reading, or working, is productive, but when you get right down to it, gaming is kind of a waste of time. I still enjoy, but I recognize that there are many better things I could be doing.
knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 knicknut17
[QUOTE="zekere"]

Hello, I'm a 30 year old man with a wife and three children . Yes, gaming has changed for me too . I'm gaming since 1984 , and there have been burnouts and highlights in the career for me, the real burnout being the time when PS2 peaked . I sold my PS2 right after gran turismo 3 and didn't play anything anymore until I bought an xbox with the game called Burnout3 (ironic) two years later . Since I have a PS3, gaming has changed again for me . First of all, I buy less games then before, and value is something which is very important to metoday in games, which is why I didn't buy Killzone2 or Infamous, but did buy AND enjoy Sacred 2 for example . Maybe I'llrent them later or buy them second hand, but $70 is too much for a short experience .Also, I buy lots of stuff from the online shop like Lumines, Worms, WipeoutHD and Battlefield . Those are games worth their price (especially Wipeout) for me . In the end I've come to notice that the way I play games has changed for me in my long running career . The main reason of course is that there are other things in my life now . The changes have come due to burnouts in gaming, so in the end it's only normal you're seeing a burnout now . You'll get through it and will enjoy gaming again one day, but maybe in a different way then before, and that's a bit sad, but that's life ...

I stopped playing video games for about 2 years after my Xbox broke. Then my friend sold me his PS2 since he never used it. I got hit with a wave of amazing games: Burnout 3, God of War, Tekken 5, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Final Fantasy X...got sucked right back in. I guess it is a cyclical thing...
MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
let's admit it, if we are writing and following on these forums, we do not only like to play games but we love it, i have been gaming since i was 7 years old, i played on sinclair zx spectrum, atari 800 xl, amiga 500, amiga 1000, pc, sega genesis, n64, ps1, ps2 and finally ps3 for the past 27 years... there are those times when you think you are fed up with gaming in general, which have last me from 6 moths to up to a year on different occasions, however i never say i will never again play games again, it's just a phase... :)
knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 knicknut17
let's admit it, if we are writing and following on these forums, we do not only like to play games but we love it, i have been gaming since i was 7 years old, i played on sinclair zx spectrum, atari 800 xl, amiga 500, amiga 1000, pc, sega genesis, n64, ps1, ps2 and finally ps3 for the past 27 years... there are those times when you think you are fed up with gaming in general, which have last me from 6 moths to up to a year on different occasions, however i never say i will never again play games again, it's just a phase... :)MondasM
Who ever said anything about not playing games again? I'm talking about not playing them or enjoying them nearly as much as I used to. Where you are having fun, but you know you are consciously wasting your time and in some cases (when you play a bad game), wasting your money too...
RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts

Um, too much of anything is a bad thing. Maybe you should chill out and buy less games.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
I've been feeling generally the same way. in that new games are not what i want to play.. i've been playing alot of old games lately, mostly Ps2 some 360 game that i never played (Mass Effect being one of them...) theres only 3 more games i want this entire year :( Brutal Legend, Bayonetta, Modern Warfare 2...
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#14 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

Nah, not for me. I'm enjoying gaming more than I did before with so many new releases.

_SniperFox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _SniperFox_
Member since 2009 • 89 Posts

I don't know how you can be burnt out on gaming when there has been hardly any decent games thia year. The only game I still play is Fallout 3 about once a week.I'm getting ready for the winter when stuff like Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2 and Bioshock 2 come out. Can't wait.

2 is the magic number this year.

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
Yeah I am feeling really burnt out lately. Time to go on hiatus till Modern Warfare 2.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
It's not you, gaming just isn't what it used to be. PS2 was the last great console, I don't care what any kid tells you.
Unknown_Hero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Unknown_Hero3
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

I am a little bit, pretty much cuz i haven't been doing anything else but post here, play tennis, and play games

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

I call it losing your gaming mojo..we all go through it man

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Same here. I've found that lately I spend much more time on the internet and TV than on videogames. I was not like this a couple of years ago.

OriginalJonty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OriginalJonty
Member since 2009 • 1087 Posts

I've been feeling burned out with gaming for a while. I mean on days off now, I generally read a book, browse the net, do something creative while my PS3 sits in the corner waiting for me to turn it on. However I did have a bit of activity when I fired up Fallout 3 for the first time in ages. Maybe that's all you need. A few days off then game for about an hour or 2 and then do something else.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#22 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
Not really. I'm not afraid to play older games, so if I need a new game, I look for the next original/innovative game I have missed out on.
dead_p1xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dead_p1xel
Member since 2009 • 245 Posts

maybe you didnt find your fav genre, like ive played every popular game before but then finally when i was about to quit because they are so boring, i found assassins creed and from then on ive been so hyped up to play assassins creed and infamous types where its a sand box and you just jump around, gta iv too

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

I've got really bored of gaming lately. Then again, I play it way to much.

ANIALATOR136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 ANIALATOR136
Member since 2008 • 1157 Posts
lol I stare at the XMB flicking the menus up and down because Im so bored at this point in time. We need something fresh and exciting to get everyone surprised and raring to play
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#26 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
I do not consider myself a gamer anymore. Far from it. Im down to 30 min a day, tops. I can go weeks without playing any games, now. =| Goodbye, old me.
Adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Adziboy
Member since 2007 • 10187 Posts
Yeah - more time looking at new releases and less time playing current ones. I have gone off but every now and then I'll play Call of Duty 4's addictive online and get sucked back in again.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Same for me, Im still playing, but it doesnt last long for maybe half and hour or so. and I dont feel addicting as I used to anymore. and sometimes I not even craving for it.

blank33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blank33
Member since 2005 • 1896 Posts

Yeah, a bit. I'm not burned out from overplaying games, but I play less games than I used to.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts
lol I stare at the XMB flicking the menus up and down because Im so bored at this point in time. We need something fresh and exciting to get everyone surprised and raring to playANIALATOR136
Dude! Same here!
Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#31 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
I still love gaming to death, but no one ever tries anything new anymore, and that saddens me. Even games that claim to be different are just shooters disguised with gimmicks.
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

Nope, I won't be in that position for a while

idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts
I spent more time on the PS3 section then I do playing games. I am a little burnout, but I will always go back and play some more gaming. My blood pressure can't take much more of this online gaming.
hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

I felt burned out too like 8 months ago. I stopped playing for like 3 months and now i'm addicted to gaming again.:)

So maybe you just need a break for a while too.

in2DarKneSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 in2DarKneSs
Member since 2006 • 233 Posts

I think that everyone goes through this kind of thing. I mean you gave many reasons as to why you might not be into it, but maybe these situations have you re-evaluating your life and life choices. You may not be burned out on gaming, but just everything in general, and that takes a lot of the luster out of anything. I mean you have life changes going on (grad school and the gf thing) and sometimes we all try to re-evaluate the meaning things have for us and draw a blank. I think when things settle down for you, you will rekindle the love of gaming.

clance1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clance1
Member since 2009 • 292 Posts

sometimes i just dont wanna set a disc in the console.

NatoKenichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NatoKenichi
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts

I've been playing video games for over 12 years now.

I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

:]

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
Doing other things besides gaming makes gaming more satisfying when you get around to it. I'm not burnt out but I take breaks for a couple or more days and hang out with my friends when I can. I also work and that helps too.
metalicelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 metalicelvis
Member since 2008 • 716 Posts

I know it may seem a bit strange but having a lack of interest in doing anything can be a mild symptom of depression - maybe splitting up with your girlfriend has made you just a bit fed up for now?

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I've been a regular on these Forums and have been a diehard PlayStation fan ever since the original console was released back in 1995 (I think)...

Lately I've been feeling really burnt out on gaming. Maybe it's cause I'm starting grad school soon and time and money are very scarce. Maybe it's me breaking up with my girlfriend...maybe it's the nonsense that we call the "Console Wars"...maybe the overwhelming majority of games nowadays aren't as satisfying as the ones from years past...I don't know...something's missing and I can't explain it.

Gaming used to be a really welcome outlet, but lately I've been firing up my PS3 and staring at the XMB and Friends List instead of playing a game after getting out of work. I have basically every game worth owning, but lately, none seem like they're worth playing to me. I've temporarily lost my love of gaming and wonder if 30 some odd hours of "God of War 3" and "Uncharted 2" will be enough to restore it the way Metal Gear Solid 4 or even Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction did.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

knicknut17

How in the world did R@C:ToD restore your love in gaming??? If anything that game has been rehashed like a McDonald's patato. One reason why some people get burnt out on gaming is because they play the same types of games over and over and over again. Why do people buy the same games over again you might ask? Its simple really because they had so much fun with the previous game. They expect the sequel to be even better and most of the time it is but guess what? Its a sequel so its gonna be pretty much the same thing as the previous game and when people start doing that they wonder why they get bored of videogames and I just have to laugh at it.

You think God of War 3 is going to play any different than the first or second installment? I really doubt it. Aside from the pit many fall in the cure is rather simple. Just play games that aren't like what you normally play. If you don't plan on playing anyother games apart from the same old FPS or Racing game then you just need to take a break from playing videogames. No matter what kind of job you have it always gets boring if you do the same thing every single day. Even if you're a cop if you just patrol and write tickets all day it still gets boring.

Imakuleus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Imakuleus
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

I've had moments, but they are always fleeting. I will play till I die, specially since they are getting better and better with technology. I'm sure it won't be long till there is a new generation of elderly vid crackers dominating a nursing home.

Pythos77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Pythos77
Member since 2005 • 889 Posts

Lately I havent been feeling like playing much either, Between work and other things, I dont have as much free time. Thats just one thing, games now days seem shorter lamer and less fun. I wish developers would get a clue and listen to "gamers" not numbers on a spreadsheet

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zidaneski

Lately I havent been feeling like playing much either, Between work and other things, I dont have as much free time. Thats just one thing, games now days seem shorter lamer and less fun. I wish developers would get a clue and listen to "gamers" not numbers on a spreadsheet

Pythos77

But thats the thing. Gamers are saying We want numbers! We want GT"5", we want MW"2". Gamers aren't saying we want something "new".

Nephilim83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 Nephilim83
Member since 2008 • 4378 Posts
This is blasphemy! :P Na, I've been burned out on gaming before, but this gen.... I can't get enough.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18831 Posts
bottom line this gen sucks compared to the past. If Gears Of War, Left 4 Dead, Bioshock, Uncharted etc are some of the Highlights this gen then that's terrible. Dont get me wrong those games r good but at the end of day it's meh. sports and wrestling games are my expertise and they suck. Madden sucks on 360 and therefore PS3 version sucks because it's a direct port. Developers really need to addressed the Physics/Animation that really ruins Basketball games. MLB The Show 09 is good but so was 07 on PS2 because it's overall the same game. The last good wrestling game was Smackdown Here Comes The Pain(2003) and since after these Smackdown vs Raw games suck
joesevel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 joesevel
Member since 2004 • 133 Posts

I agree that so far this generation of gaming isn't all that great. Killzone 2 i personally think was the only decent achievement for the ps3. I just dont like how the majority of gamers, gaming websites, and gaming magazines always compare games to Gears of War or Call Of Duty 4. I also think that the current generation really isn't living up to what can be produced. I've noticed that games like GTA4 and Mirror's Edge in beta and previews offered so much freedom and new features, but when the final game comes out none of what they promised goes into the game. For instance in GTA4 in one preview i remember reading that almost every building can be entered and explored. But ive only noticed that only like 1/3 of buildings can be entered. im just tired of first person shooters and exotic areas like far cray 2 and the new max payne. i want something unique and LONG! im sick of the lack luster stories that can be finished in a day. i want a game that has a great story with some good play time. im also burnt out of multiplayer games as well. i get bored really fast of all these games that seem to be the same game. like Modern warfare 2. theres probly nothing new going into that game. but enough from me...i would like to hear what others have to say about the current generation.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zidaneski

I agree that so far this generation of gaming isn't all that great. Killzone 2 i personally think was the only decent achievement for the ps3. I just dont like how the majority of gamers, gaming websites, and gaming magazines always compare games to Gears of War or Call Of Duty 4. I also think that the current generation really isn't living up to what can be produced. I've noticed that games like GTA4 and Mirror's Edge in beta and previews offered so much freedom and new features, but when the final game comes out none of what they promised goes into the game. For instance in GTA4 in one preview i remember reading that almost every building can be entered and explored. But ive only noticed that only like 1/3 of buildings can be entered. im just tired of first person shooters and exotic areas like far cray 2 and the new max payne. i want something unique and LONG! im sick of the lack luster stories that can be finished in a day. i want a game that has a great story with some good play time. im also burnt out of multiplayer games as well. i get bored really fast of all these games that seem to be the same game. like Modern warfare 2. theres probly nothing new going into that game. but enough from me...i would like to hear what others have to say about the current generation.

joesevel

The current gen hasn't impressed me much either but There are some amazing game that blow me away even when compared to all games before it. Valkyria Chronicle alone gives me hope for the future. InFamous held my interest for a while but I had too much hope that it would be similar to Jak II and aside from the good ending it was just too predictable with no skillful platforming, just decent fast-paced gunplay.

Some other highlights for me were Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Disgaea 3, Warhawk, and BlazBlue. I don't necessarily look for how long a game lasts but rather how enjoyable the game is and what message it wanted to convey. (except for Warhawk, that game is just mind-less fun for me)

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I never realized until now, yea I am.

This gen has me almost completely turned off, so I'm getting out of out.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#49 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No i'm not burnt out i wish i could increase my gaming hours.

Wiiingssbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wiiingssbb
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

Lately yes. I haven't turned my ps3 on in about a week.. thats like record for me lol. Stupid drought of games :(