This topic is locked from further discussion.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Recently, I have been stirred over the reccent hot flash of YLOD's, Blu-Ray Drive Failures and constant overheating problems.

and, now on christmas i wonder to my self is there any really safe model?

ok, now lets review:

(on this GS board)

Bad

60GB SKU

40GB SKU

The New 80GB SKU (no B/C)

Medium

160GB (hard-drive failures) (rarely)

Good

80GB (B/C)

The Original 20GB (B/C)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I KNOW ALL ELECTRONICS CAN FAIL.

Now, I can play my PS3 for 10hrs straight no problem and I have only had a lockup once (playing launch GTAIV).

So i wonder to myself is there any surefire model? that will bypass most of the recent brash on PS3 failures?

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
[QUOTE="samuraiguns"]

Recently, I have been stirred over the reccent hot flash of YLOD's, Blu-Ray Drive Failures and constant overheating problems.

and, now on christmas i wonder to my self is there any really safe model?

ok, now lets review:

(on this GS board)

Bad

60GB SKU

40GB SKU

The New 80GB SKU (no B/C)

Medium

160GB (hard-drive failures) (rarely)

Good

80GB (B/C)

The Original 20GB (B/C)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I can play my PS3 for 10hrs straight no problem and I have only had a lockup once (playing launch GTAIV).

So i wonder to myself is there any surefire model? that will bypass most of the recent brash on PS3 failures?

there isn't really a rise in ps3 failures. Just two people say their ps3's failed, one posts in a topic the other posts in all the other topic and it spreads histeria. Overall they are all really the same, except the newer models create less heat due to smaller hardware inside.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I have had a 40 gig for about 6 months and no problem yet.I am not exactly sure the cause of the YLOD but I am not sure if it matters what version you buy.
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I have had a 40 gig for about 6 months and no problem yet.I am not exactly sure the cause of the YLOD but I am not sure if it matters what version you buy.K1LLR3175

I know guys but every hour there's a new failure or someones Blu-Ray drive dying. or something. So, im asking which model do you think is the safest?

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts

[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]I have had a 40 gig for about 6 months and no problem yet.I am not exactly sure the cause of the YLOD but I am not sure if it matters what version you buy.samuraiguns

I know guys but every hour there's a new failure or someones Blu-Ray drive dying. or something. So, im asking which model do you think is the safest?

Use your gut feeling cause I honestly can't tell you.
spider2111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 spider2111
Member since 2004 • 100 Posts

Hey i have a 60GIG ps3 i buy it 28dec for the lunch year AND I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH IT.

i change my 360 4 time but my ps3 still run like a new.

any1 know that the ps3 have 50% failure at lunch so stop making topic like that

The ps3 is much fiable that the other console

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

Isn't there another thread exactly like this, on this same front page of the forum?

And...one again...my 60GB works perfectly.

theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
A lot of people have been complaining but, after a while I don't think there is anything you guys can do. Yeah, its a growing problem but its nothing that can be done, sony is losing money on the consoles they aren't going too put a warrenty like MS because they don't have the money. But just bare with it, 360 owners have and well just hope sony helps you out.
AnthonyLuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 AnthonyLuu
Member since 2004 • 665 Posts
i've had my 40gb for almost one full year (tomorrow's the first year). it never had any problems. just get the newer 40gb/80gb ones if you want to be safe
Psmol200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Psmol200
Member since 2007 • 572 Posts
Iv'ehad my 60gb from just about launch, and have had no issues... I dont know why the 60gb are getting a bad rap, like i said, no overheating, no freezing, no issues at all... its PERFECT, and still going STRONG!
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
I've had a 60GB for about two years now with no problems. I play games on it, watch DVDs on it, and just keep it on randomly all the time.
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
If you really knew that all electronics can fail, you wouldn't make a thread breaking down the reliability status of each SKU for the PS3. Firstly, you don't know who is lying and who is telling the truth when it comes to YLOD threads. It's silly to say which is the safest, since overall the failure rate is miniscule. It's pure chance, and I also think partially user error, a perfect example from the thread the other day from a user saying "well I'm on my 3rd PS3 and it's overheating again, man I need an intercooler" then he showed a pic of the thing jammed into a corner right next to his TV...yeah, user error, not hardware issue. The manufacturing process is not flawless, and a person/machine can make a mistake on ANY PS3 SKU, so therefore your chances of your category "good" 20GB PS3 failing right out of the box are as good as my launch day 60GB PS3 (category "bad") being still flawless today like it is.