Any deep PSP games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 LordTrexGuy
Member since 2008 • 504 Posts

Are there any games on the PSP which have depth in them? I'm not talking about 300, a mindless killer, or GTA, the crime simulator or GoW, the visceralish mature game. I'm talking about MHFU, where you get thousands of weapons and armors to make, and dozens of monsters to slay, or something like Crisis Core, with an awesome story and the best combat in an FF game. Are there any others like these out there?

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

I heard Persona series are good, especially Persona 3. I can't comment on them much, since I only played Persona 4 Golden. 

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Persona 3 I guess... Legend of Heroes: Trails In The Sky maybea s well... Needless to say, PS1 games from PSN look awesome on the PSP so there's loads of classics there... Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions... Too lazy to think and type...

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#4 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker fit the bill. VC2 is the best game ever made.
atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 atc-fanatic
Member since 2009 • 973 Posts

ogre tactics was a deep game. i'll admit i only played the n64&ps1 versions.

michel3105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 michel3105
Member since 2013 • 80 Posts

Still unsure about what you mean with "deep", but +1 vote for Valkyria Chronicles and Peace Walker. They are both long lasting games, story driven with intelligent gameplay.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spinnerweb
+1 vote for Valkyria Chroniclesmichel3105
How 'bout a hug? :D
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
harvest moon hero of leaf valley and final fantasy 9
capcang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 capcang
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
ogre tactics was a deep game. i'll admit i only played the n64&ps1 versions.
ElectricEchoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ElectricEchoes
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

Persona 3.

BLaverock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 BLaverock
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

My top 3 recommended...

Final Fantasy: War of the Lions

Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#12 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Valkyria Chronicles II
  • Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
  • Disgaea 2
lewispetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 lewispetty
Member since 2009 • 417 Posts
persona 3 disgaea 1 and 2 phantom brave metal gear solid peace walker valkriya chronicles 2
Nickprovs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nickprovs
Member since 2008 • 1199 Posts

Peace Walker is the second Metal Gear Solid chronologically. So read up on Metal Gear Solid 3 if you haven't played either and you can jump right into Peace Walker. Peace Walker has a really lengthy, interesting, and well voiced single player. It's also got tons of side missions in addition to perfecting a base, gathering weapon blueprints, managing assets, and building new technology for you to use as you go out on missions. Tons to do, and you get an amazing story to boot. I'd go with this one.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#15 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles 2 (though it's nowhere near as good as the first)
Persona 3
Disgaea 2
Phantom Brave (if you like Disgaea)
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky  
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (although I thought the gameplay suffered for being on the PSP in the same way Valkyria Chronicles did)
Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together
Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions
Growlanser 4

redman100111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 redman100111
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts

Final Fantasy: War of the Lions

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable

They're both great games and but Persona 3 is amazing. So I'd suggest getting that first.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Final Fantasy: The War of the Lions. I've never found a more serious, dramatic, actually enjoyable story in video games that overcomes it. The Zodiac Brave Story is incredible.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles 2 for sure. Some others: Disgaea 1 and 2 Front Mission 3 (PS1 classic) Gungnir Yggdra Union Tactics Ogre Ys Seven I haven't played it myself yet but might like Gods Eater Burst since it seems like MH.
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker fit the bill. VC2 is the best game ever made.Spinnerweb

Ignore this man, Valkyria Chronicles is easily the worst thing to hit gaming in years. [spoiler] Kidding, KIDDING!! please be gentle... [/spoiler]

But seriously, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona and Disgaea are the best ones that currently come to mind for me.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spinnerweb

[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker fit the bill. VC2 is the best game ever made.koospetoors

Ignore this man, Valkyria Chronicles is easily the worst thing to hit gaming in years. [spoiler] Kidding, KIDDING!! please be gentle... [/spoiler]

But seriously, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona and Disgaea are the best ones that currently come to mind for me.

I was almost about to have a stroke :P Also, LordTrexGuy, I forgot to mention before Gods Eater Burst is awesome. It's like a post-apocalyptic Monster Hunter, only it's better. I'm sure you'll like it since you liked Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="koospetoors"]

[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker fit the bill. VC2 is the best game ever made.Spinnerweb

I was almost about to have a stroke :P Also, LordTrexGuy, I forgot to mention before Gods Eater Burst is awesome. It's like a post-apocalyptic Monster Hunter, only it's better. I'm sure you'll like it since you liked Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

Actually, I didn't like that game at all. It is just a dumb game with an even worse setting and there is none of the skill required in MHFU. Just smash away. Also, it doesn't feel solid. Its just you flying up and hitting with another of Cloud's weapon clone.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordTrexGuy

Final Fantasy: The War of the Lions. I've never found a more serious, dramatic, actually enjoyable story in video games that overcomes it. The Zodiac Brave Story is incredible.bbkkristian

Totally crap game. Although I like turn based games to a certain extent, War of the Lions just pushes it too far. The visuals are terrible, the combat is rinse and repeat, more of FF4's combat, the environments were trash and story was completely cliche, although I did like the anime cutscenes.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Final Fantasy: The War of the Lions. I've never found a more serious, dramatic, actually enjoyable story in video games that overcomes it. The Zodiac Brave Story is incredible.LordTrexGuy

Totally crap game. Although I like turn based games to a certain extent, War of the Lions just pushes it too far. The visuals are terrible, the combat is rinse and repeat, more of FF4's combat, the environments were trash and story was completely cliche, although I did like the anime cutscenes.

Story was cliche, you think? For me, it was definitely an original experience :) Would you elaborate (in spoiler tags)? I'm curious what you thought was cliche about it.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Spinnerweb

Actually, I didn't like that game at all. It is just a dumb game with an even worse setting and there is none of the skill required in MHFU. Just smash away. Also, it doesn't feel solid. Its just you flying up and hitting with another of Cloud's weapon clone.

LordTrexGuy

You're breaking my heart here, dude. I love Gods Eater Burst. :( I personally found it to be far and away better than any Monster Hunter.

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Final Fantasy: The War of the Lions. I've never found a more serious, dramatic, actually enjoyable story in video games that overcomes it. The Zodiac Brave Story is incredible.LordTrexGuy

I was annoyed at first at the dated visuals too, in both FFTWOTL and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. But stick to them for a while and they're awesome. You should give it another try I tell you.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Final Fantasy: The War of the Lions. I've never found a more serious, dramatic, actually enjoyable story in video games that overcomes it. The Zodiac Brave Story is incredible.bbkkristian

Story was cliche, you think? For me, it was definitely an original experience :) Would you elaborate (in spoiler tags)? I'm curious what you thought was cliche about it.

Played about only the beginning of the game and 'the princess gets kidnapped and you're a nobody who has to rescue her' is way too boring to bear. It has already been used like about a million times.

LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"] You're breaking my heart here, dude. I love Gods Eater Burst. :( I personally found it to be far and away better than any Monster Hunter. [QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Final Fantasy: The War of the Lions. I've never found a more serious, dramatic, actually enjoyable story in video games that overcomes it. The Zodiac Brave Story is incredible.Spinnerweb

I was annoyed at first at the dated visuals too, in both FFTWOTL and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. But stick to them for a while and they're awesome. You should give it another try I tell you.

I'm sorry bro, but GEB was way too easy and unrealistic compared to MHFU. And I'm not going to play War of the Lions again, the battles are way too 'creepy'. I've never played Tactics Ogre, so I'll be sure to borrow and try it out from a friend as I'm not a turn-based fan.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

LordTrexGuy

Played about only the beginning of the game and 'the princess gets kidnapped and you're a nobody who has to rescue her' is way too boring to bear. It has already been used like about a million times.

Did you finish it?
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LordTrexGuy

[QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] Story was cliche, you think? For me, it was definitely an original experience :) Would you elaborate (in spoiler tags)? I'm curious what you thought was cliche about it.bbkkristian

Did you finish it?

If you can consider the part where you defeat Ultima the ending, then yes, and quite forcibly at that.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="LordTrexGuy"]

LordTrexGuy

Did you finish it?

If you can consider the part where you defeat Ultima the ending, then yes, and quite forcibly at that.

Ok, then I won't press you anymore. I'm glad you gave it a chance, despite you not liking it. I can respect that.:)
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#30 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Persona 3 Portable Danganronpa (recently got translated by fans, it's a great game, it's coated with a sort of comical approach but it's pretty deep at times. Fans of the visual novel-esq parts of Persona and fans of mystery games will really enjoy iy)
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

hey OP what about Marvel Trading Card Game :p

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Spinnerweb
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Persona 3 Portable Danganronpa (recently got translated by fans, it's a great game, it's coated with a sort of comical approach but it's pretty deep at times. Fans of the visual novel-esq parts of Persona and fans of mystery games will really enjoy iy)

Thanks for telling me about Danganronpa, it look great.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#33 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Persona 3 Portable Danganronpa (recently got translated by fans, it's a great game, it's coated with a sort of comical approach but it's pretty deep at times. Fans of the visual novel-esq parts of Persona and fans of mystery games will really enjoy iy)

You should definetly play it if you have the means to, I'm sure you'll love it. I haven't finished it yet, though I love it even more now then I did when I mentioned it in my previous post, it just gets better and better :P There's also an anime currently airing, the first episode should be subbed by tomorrow or sometime this week, but obviously I don't know how the anime will hold up compared to the game, so I'd say definetly go for the game first.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Spinnerweb
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Spinnerweb"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Persona 3 Portable Danganronpa (recently got translated by fans, it's a great game, it's coated with a sort of comical approach but it's pretty deep at times. Fans of the visual novel-esq parts of Persona and fans of mystery games will really enjoy iy)

You should definetly play it if you have the means to, I'm sure you'll love it. I haven't finished it yet, though I love it even more now then I did when I mentioned it in my previous post, it just gets better and better :P There's also an anime currently airing, the first episode should be subbed by tomorrow or sometime this week, but obviously I don't know how the anime will hold up compared to the game, so I'd say definetly go for the game first.

I will definitely get it when I'm done with some PS2 games I didn't manage to end previously :) I looked at the screenshots and man, the art style alone makes this game worth buying. Not to mention the story seems awesome if a little absurd. Besides, any unlocalized Japanese game with a translation is worth importing.
LordTrexGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LordTrexGuy

hey OP what about Marvel Trading Card Game :p

final_lap

Look outside your window. I dare you. Freddy's waiting.

Oh, and for the person who suggested Danganronpa, it seems interesting, I'll definitely check it out.

SoulSnare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SoulSnare
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
persona 3 portable , MGS: peacewalker man i remember grinding level on persona 3 all night long. good times, good times
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles 2 (though it's nowhere near as good as the first)
Persona 3
Disgaea 2
Phantom Brave (if you like Disgaea)
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky  
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (although I thought the gameplay suffered for being on the PSP in the same way Valkyria Chronicles did)
Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2
Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together
Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions
Growlanser 4

Legolas_Katarn
This is a good list but Growlanser is a difficult, difficult game and it will make you tear out your hair. Fantastic story though.
Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I tried replaying FFT:WOTL but there was soo much delay in the magic casting and attack skills it was UNBEARABLE! Did some of you guys not experience any of that or did ya'll just bear with it?