Am I the only one NOT excited for GTA V?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sweetew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Sweetew
Member since 2013 • 51 Posts

So as the title says, am I really one of the few that's not excited for the new GTA? 

I found GTA IV to be a huge disappointment. I bought it for the ps3, and it was incredible badly optimised to the point that the game was unplayable at some points. Not only that, but the story itself was incredible dull, and the interactions with your family and friends were downright tedious. I seriously still cannot believe that it was rated 10 on some gaming sites. 

But one of the biggest dissappointments for me was, that you have this huge world to interact with, yet nothing you do will have a meaningful effect. You could commit the worst offences and yet it doesn't matter, because the plate will eventually be whiped clean. Now you will probably point out to me, that this is how all the GTA series has been, and that it needs to be this way, so that when you die and come back you aren't immediately shot on sight. But nevertheless, why is it, that when you become CRAZY ass gangster no one in the world cares about you besides missions or anything of the sort, and there's practically nothing DYNAMIC happening in the world - You're driving around, maybe just trying a new car, when suddenly out of the blue, you're being chased by a hit squad sent from a syndicate you pissed off a few missions ago. Or you're suddenly being chased by a bunch of journalist that are chasing you in the streets. But nothing like this ever happens.

That being said, I also see why the GTA series is so damn attractive, but ultimately I just find the whole experiece shallow fun.

Sorry for my rant. xD

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I agree a out GTA4. I didn't get more than 8-10 hours into it. It just bored me senseless.

That being said, it looks like 5 is going in an interesting direction. I'll be waiting to see reviews on it. I might not pick it up at all if the reviews don't make it look like a vast improvement on GTA4.

Sweetew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sweetew

I agree a out GTA4. I didn't get more than 8-10 hours into it. It just bored me senseless.

That being said, it looks like 5 is going in an interesting direction. I'll be waiting to see reviews on it. I might not pick it up at all if the reviews don't make it look like a vast improvement on GTA4.

DaRq_MiNoS

Right now though, GTA V still looks like more of the same old, with no real new innovations.

we'll have to see, but as of right now, there are other games on the horizon that looks way more promising. 

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

Nope. I'll be picking it up when it's close to $20.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Im not either.

Ill get it at some point when the price drops a significant amount, maybe 20 bucks or less.

I got tired of GTA a long time because every game is the same thing really. The novelty of driving around a big city and listening to radio stations wore off at vice city. Really the characters and stories arent that great and I get no enjoyment out of playing a 40 hour game just to get 6 hours worth of story.

But every GTA is the same game really, plays the same, always youre a guy who used to do bad stuff but tried to get away from it and now brought back into the game. Ever red dead was the same thing.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

you're not alone, I've never had any interest in any of the GTA games to be honest.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

So as the title says, am I really one of the few that's not excited for the new GTA? 

I found GTA IV to be a huge disappointment. I bought it for the ps3, and it was incredible badly optimised to the point that the game was unplayable at some points. Not only that, but the story itself was incredible dull, and the interactions with your family and friends were downright tedious. I seriously still cannot believe that it was rated 10 on some gaming sites. 

But one of the biggest dissappointments for me was, that you have this huge world to interact with, yet nothing you do will have a meaningful effect. You could commit the worst offences and yet it doesn't matter, because the plate will eventually be whiped clean. Now you will probably point out to me, that this is how all the GTA series has been, and that it needs to be this way, so that when you die and come back you aren't immediately shot on sight. But nevertheless, why is it, that when you become CRAZY ass gangster no one in the world cares about you besides missions or anything of the sort, and there's practically nothing DYNAMIC happening in the world - You're driving around, maybe just trying a new car, when suddenly out of the blue, you're being chased by a hit squad sent from a syndicate you pissed off a few missions ago. Or you're suddenly being chased by a bunch of journalist that are chasing you in the streets. But nothing like this ever happens.

That being said, I also see why the GTA series is so damn attractive, but ultimately I just find the whole experiece shallow fun.

Sorry for my rant. xD

Sweetew

Sorry man, but you're alone in the dark. Go get yourself a flashlight.

Sweetew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sweetew

[QUOTE="Sweetew"]

Sorry for my rant. xD

kriggy

Sorry man, but you're alone in the dark. Go get yourself a flashlight.

well from the replies my thread got, it seems I am not quite alone. Company will be good in the darkness ;)

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Your intitled to your opinions.

Heck I can't stand Black ops 2 and Dark souls and alot of people love those games and they sold alot of copies.

To each their own.

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts
Yeah, I am in the same boat. Loved every GTA up until GTA4. It was just boring as hell and I traded it in as soon as I beat it just because I wanted to be able to say I beat it. Compare that to beating Vice City 100% and playing San Andreas for hundreds of hours. I then discovered Saints Row and my love of open world games was renewed. To be completely honest, I am looking forward to the new Saints Row more than the new GTA, but thats just because I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last GTA while I'm still playing Saints Row 3 because I just enjoy it that much...
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
im getting SR4 instead :P
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

my problem with the GTA series in general is the direction rockstar wants to go in. Which is being more serious and more like real life. Which means nothing to me. I'm 36 I live real, serious life. I would like a little fun in my games like the PS2 era GTA games. And I have a feeling I will never see a 80s Vice City again.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 punisher1
Yeah, I am in the same boat. Loved every GTA up until GTA4. It was just boring as hell and I traded it in as soon as I beat it just because I wanted to be able to say I beat it. Compare that to beating Vice City 100% and playing San Andreas for hundreds of hours. I then discovered Saints Row and my love of open world games was renewed. To be completely honest, I am looking forward to the new Saints Row more than the new GTA, but thats just because I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last GTA while I'm still playing Saints Row 3 because I just enjoy it that much...Dysantic
Im right with you on that my SR4 is already paid for and I can't wait.
punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 punisher1

Im not either.

Ill get it at some point when the price drops a significant amount, maybe 20 bucks or less.

I got tired of GTA a long time because every game is the same thing really. The novelty of driving around a big city and listening to radio stations wore off at vice city. Really the characters and stories arent that great and I get no enjoyment out of playing a 40 hour game just to get 6 hours worth of story.

But every GTA is the same game really, plays the same, always youre a guy who used to do bad stuff but tried to get away from it and now brought back into the game. Ever red dead was the same thing.

Gargus
I don't know about that. Tommy Vercetti never left the game he got put in prison and then went right back into it once he got out..
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Yeah, GTA is one of the worst franchises of all time. I actually spit in the disgusitng and horrible face of the mentally impaired person who decides to use their welfare check on GTA.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

my usual cycle with gta games:

i've played the previous game and think "wtf is this?" the hype starts up about how the new gta game is going to be the greatest thing ever. i remain unfazed. the reviews come out, stating it really is the greatest thing ever with such high and persuasive praise as "well, it's functional now" and "greatest thing ever!" i remain unfazed. people continue to shower vague praise for years until i break and drop a couple bucks to see what all the fuss is about. i think "wtf is this?"

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

you're not alone, I've never had any interest in any of the GTA games to be honest.

Pikminmaniac
This. I mean, they're fun to mess around in with, but that's about. Though, I do enjoy the Saints Row series.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#18 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
nah, i am not a little bit excited at all
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

Sorry for my rant. xD

Sweetew
Im very excited, but to be honest I will have to say that I agree with you fully. Your reasons for not being excited for the title makes a lot of sense and I hope that GTA V is a huge comparison to GTAIV and it blows it out of the water and I will admit that that the choice making missions on GTAIV didn't make a huge difference either. I hope that on this GTA they have choices that really matter and effect missions, rewards, and effects in the world.
JCMac120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 JCMac120
Member since 2006 • 2771 Posts
I'm conflicted myself TC. The GTA series had progressively gotten better and then GTA4 was somewhat of a letdown. Yes it had nice graphics for its time and people rave about the physics, but it didn't have the GTA "do everything under the sun" atmosphere. There wasn't much to do. This keeps me from getting too excited about GTAV, but I think fans cries for change were heard and it'll be a lot better this time around. Only time will really tell.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I'm not sold on GTA V.  I too couldn't stand GTA IV from the incredibly aggravating characters, a world with nothing to do (similar to red dead redemption), and a main character I couldn't care less about I had little to like about it.

Rockstar is having fun not showing much about the game, but after GTA IV I think they should be showing some stuff of, such as live gameplay not just some video footage of gameplay.  I want to see what this world can offer and if there's anything to do in it outside of the main missions.

I also hope they bring back some of the comedy, as GTA IV tried to be serious and it just ended up being boring.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I know for sure that i will enjoy GTA V

DOADS87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DOADS87
Member since 2013 • 94 Posts
I'm excited for GTAV but not as much as some of the people on these boards, I know it's going to be good and I'm definitely going to get it however I love platformers so I always hype those the most.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sukraj

I'm excited for GTAV but not as much as some of the people on these boards, I know it's going to be good and I'm definitely going to get it however I love platformers so I always hype those the most.DOADS87

i love platformers too.

DOADS87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DOADS87
Member since 2013 • 94 Posts

[QUOTE="DOADS87"]I'm excited for GTAV but not as much as some of the people on these boards, I know it's going to be good and I'm definitely going to get it however I love platformers so I always hype those the most.sukraj

i love platformers too.

A good platformer is hard to beat in my opinion, I mean you have a good story, great level designs, beautiful graphics, cool animations and a catchy music score... It's what gaming is all about
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
i cant wait for GT V after last of us second big release this year for me
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I can't wait for GTAV. I enjoyed the last entry in the series.. yes it was lacking a lot in comparison to San Andreas but it was meant to be a different experience. They know how the majority was upset at not having a heap of extra side things to do and have fixed that. The game looks incredible, I can't wait!
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

Im more excited for playin saint row than GTA

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

im excited for it....thats the only thing that should count.

darkghost75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darkghost75
Member since 2007 • 1584 Posts
buying saints row 4 instead
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I'm pleasantly surprised (though it won't reflect in the sales numbers) that the number of people agreeing with TC > the number of people that aren't. GTA is probably the most overrated series in the history of gaming. My friends and I had fun with GTA 3 when it was fun and new. Everything game afterwards has gotten worse and worse. And the critics praise is way worse than the fans' incomprehensible adoration of this franchise.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

GTAV looks amazing... my most anticipated game in years. Can't wait to play it. 

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sukraj

i cant wait for GT V after last of us second big release this year for me CTR360

i'm pumped up for gta 5.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
I'm not and I will wait for the pc version even though I have a 360 and ps3
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sukraj

I'm not and I will wait for the pc version even though I have a 360 and ps3XxR3m1xInHDn3D

U might be waiting a very long time before they port the game to pc.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm not interested in it at all.  Played GTA IV for an evening or two and tossed it back on the shelf.  Not my thing at all.  I love open world games and that sort of thing but hanging out in a crappy slum surround by loudmouth a-holes...no thank you.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#37 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

I am still looking forward to it, but I don't have high hopes for it because I wasn't a fan of GTA IV. I didn't think it was a bad game at all, I just thought it was (like you said) a disappointment. I thought the missions were kind of fun, but the story wasn't impressive. The overall game was just too overly realistic for my taste... I did not enjoy driving, that was the worst. Anyways, still will purchase, but not gonna let myself down with hype. From the looks of GTA V, the story looks very interesting.

philip6k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 philip6k
Member since 2006 • 1365 Posts

Sorry for my rant. xD

Sweetew
What a useless thread. Obviously there are going to be some people not interested in this game, everyone is different and has different interests............. There isn't one game that every person likes......
philip6k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 philip6k
Member since 2006 • 1365 Posts

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

Sweetew

Right now though, GTA V still looks like more of the same old, with no real new innovations.

we'll have to see, but as of right now, there are other games on the horizon that looks way more promising. 

No real new innovations, have you not been following the game at all? lol
forkandplate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 forkandplate
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I'm a christian so my interest in this game doesn't exist.
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Not overly excited either for this game, GTA IV just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sweetew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sweetew
[QUOTE="Sweetew"]

Sorry for my rant. xD

philip6k
What a useless thread. Obviously there are going to be some people not interested in this game, everyone is different and has different interests............. There isn't one game that every person likes......

And that's why i made this topic. To talk about it.
Sweetew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sweetew
[QUOTE="Sweetew"]

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

philip6k

I don't really see any new innovations, except maybe the 3 protagonists'.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I like your rant but the problem is your judging it on GTA 4 which was the most boring GTA i've ever played, This is based in san andreas, which is probably one of the most amazing places in video game history and it looks like there going back to the best. It sure seems like you have never played gta san andreas, you best pull out a ps2 and go play that and then come back and see what all the fuss is about, if GTA took the same route as 4 then i don't think anyone would care but because they are going back to the roots of the best GTA game there has been except from vice city, then your'll understand.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

[QUOTE="philip6k"][QUOTE="Sweetew"]

Sweetew

hhmmmmmm the game has a full mountain range area, a full forest area, massive cities, a full underwater exploring aspect, cars, planes, helicopters, motorbikes, normal bikes, a full wildlife aspect, 3 main characters 3 interwining stories, plus 3 completely different lives going on at the same time, full golf game, a full tennis games, mountain biking races, motorcross racing, jumping off mountains what ever thats called, YOGA.  Bank hiests where you have to plan it out first. full internet, full tv channels, it's set in SAN ANDREAS probably the best and biggest world to be in, the original had loads to do and see. how is there no real new innovations. 

Ne-Plus-Ultra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ne-Plus-Ultra
Member since 2012 • 281 Posts

I'm a christian so my interest in this game doesn't exist.forkandplate

I'm an Atheist so the game is fully paid for and I'm just waiting for it's arrival. :D

But my Christian friends are getting it to, I guess their vary vary bad Christians? :twisted:

Sweetew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sweetew

[QUOTE="Sweetew"][QUOTE="philip6k"] No real new innovations, have you not been following the game at all? lolbezza2011

hhmmmmmm the game has a full mountain range area, a full forest area, massive cities, a full underwater exploring aspect, cars, planes, helicopters, motorbikes, normal bikes, a full wildlife aspect, 3 main characters 3 interwining stories, plus 3 completely different lives going on at the same time, full golf game, a full tennis games, mountain biking races, motorcross racing, jumping off mountains what ever thats called, YOGA.  Bank hiests where you have to plan it out first. full internet, full tv channels, it's set in SAN ANDREAS probably the best and biggest world to be in, the original had loads to do and see. how is there no real new innovations. 

Making the game bigger is not really a new innovation, and alot of the stuff you mentioned is really not innovative, since some of it you can already do in the previous games. Tennis and golf? That's supposed to make me excited? How about adding something that actually makes an impact of the world? Like if i decide to rob a bank, what will happen besides the cops chasing me? Will i suddenly be contacted by a heist group that want to rop an artifact? The problem with the GTA series (my opinion) is that it's the same old same old. A massive sandbox where you can do alot things, but in the end it's just a shallow experience with no way to make an impact on the world.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sukraj

Not overly excited either for this game, GTA IV just left a bad taste in my mouth.

DivineSword

GTA V is nothing like GTA IV.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

GTA V is nothing like GTA IV.

sukraj

Well of course not, if they were the same carbon copy then I wouldn't even bother with this. This last game wasn't anything special for me so of course my excitement level for the next entry isn't that high as opposed to me actually enjoying the last game.

Avatar image for themonstershack
themonstershack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 themonstershack
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

No, never was a fan of GTA games!